• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Oh damn that's too bad :( blue moon is actually really easy for me I never get hungover from it haha

I'm now more of a Jameson and Gingerale kind of guy now. Delicious.

I wonder how many dj's get shitfaced during their sets, lol. I cannot fathom how they perform while under and influences.

Aomber

I wonder how many dj's get shitfaced during their sets, lol. I cannot fathom how they perform while under and influences.
Well I know how I post under the influence because I'm doing it right now

I also know that it's probably not too difficult for some DJs who pre-record LOL

promoters used to feed me shots before my set - i would have to stop them from giving me them and just leave the bar so i could be there on time.(no i do not want to take 4 more shots in a row of crown royal 15 mins before my set) lol plus i'd get really active while performing so i would usually feel fine. i'd sweat all that alcohol out usually by the end of my set! Oh, what fun days they were. lol

L1NETT

artworks-000210402097-srt075-t500x500.jpg

ruido - innervision

artworks-000220099280-9xbe7b-t500x500.jpg

maya jane coles - cherry bomb

Well I know how I post under the influence because I'm doing it right now

I also know that it's probably not too difficult for some DJs who pre-record LOL

promoters used to feed me shots before my set - i would have to stop them from giving me them and just leave the bar so i could be there on time.(no i do not want to take 4 more shots in a row of crown royal 15 mins before my set) lol plus i'd get really active while performing so i would usually feel fine. i'd sweat all that alcohol out usually by the end of my set! Oh, what fun days they were. lol

Lol. Y'all are savages. I can't be doing shots b2b anymore even in my current age where your prime (21-25) years are. Crown Royal is delicious though *now wants a bottle of Crown Royal*.

Give me a shot every 10 minutes with chaser and I'll be fine but b2b? *pukes*

Edit: I keep forgetting to ask y'all about this but where did the Alan Walker hype come from? Was it solely because of Faded?

Aomber

Lol. Y'all are savages. I can't be doing shots b2b anymore even in my current age where your prime (21-25) years are. Crown Royal is delicious though *now wants a bottle of Crown Royal*.

Edit: I keep forgetting to ask y'all about this but where did the Alan Walker hype come from? Was it solely because of Faded?

I'll be honest I only heard this guy's name for the first time a month or two ago, I had to Google his name to remember who he was. Kinda surprised how popular he is and how little I've heard about him.

As for why he's popular, I guess some people would find his hooks catchy (I don't, but I could see it) but I listened to a few of his songs and for me he's really mediocre. He's got a case of EDM repetition syndrome where all his songs sound really similar not only to his own songs but to a lot of other EDM, mostly because uses really cheesy premade sounds from REFX nexus that a lot of others do, shows in the first few seconds of his studio video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLoqggFdVU8

Edit: Cut back on the rambling :D

These are pretty nice, thanks for sharing

Ashhong

Alan Walker is an EDM one hit wonder. Faded was huge but songs after that were mediocre. I dont see him being a big name for very long

Aomber

Lemaitre is back with a new single. Eh... Honestly not really feeling this over aggressive sound they're going for lately, they're great musicians but I preferred them when they went for something more laid back. The music is good between the breakdowns but not digging the breakdowns themselves.

Lemaitre - Higher (Audio) ft. Maty Noyes

Apparently this was co-produced with The Chainsmokers, it's nothing crazy but it's surprisingly not terrible, although I'll say the fact that it's decent probably has more to do with Autograf's contribution

Autograf - Simple

mr stroke

Pemberton Music Festival unexpectedly announces cancellation

http://www.dancingastronaut.com/201...l-unexpectedly-announces-cancellation-refund/

Ticket holders were met with even worse news – no refunds will be given due to the event's protection under bankruptcy law. If they do wish to see any of their funds returned, they'd have to file a proof of claim as a creditor through the courts. Even if they do so, generally approved proof of claims are paid out in installments over the period of bankruptcy.

Wow LOL

Survival of the fittest or is the bubble is bursting........

mr stroke

Yep, the lesson here is stick to the reputable festivals. Festival money isn't to be messed around with organizers like this.

There is definitely a festival bubble.

Definitely noticing this, with EDC Vegas not selling out this year(its always sold out by April or early May, not even a "80% Sold out" post on their FB yet, Yikes!) is a big sign of a retraction/correction.

Lets take a look at Festivals that were canceled over the last 12-18 months-

(off the top of my head, I am sure there are many more)
-
EDC UK
EDC NY
TomorrowWorld
Mysteryland
Stereosonic Festival
Decibel Festival
Hard Day of the Dead
T in the Park
Vertex Festival
The Wrecking Ball
Pemberton Music Festival
Beyond Wonderland Bay Area

Its ironic that this is exactly what happened in the late 90's early 2000's. I remember a point in California when there was literally a massive 30-40k person rave (Huge for back then) every weekend. It got to the point where there were 2 in the same city each weekend. Then all of a sudden the market got way over saturated and all the kids that only went to eat Molly and hand massage each other got burnt out, and the scene died for a long time. Everything got smaller and only the big names survived (Coachella, ULTRA, EDC, Lollapalooza, etc.)

Here we go again...........

Aomber

Definitely noticing this, with EDC Vegas not selling out this year(its always sold out by April or early May, not even a "80% Sold out" post on their FB yet, Yikes!) is a big sign of a retraction/correction.

-
EDC UK
EDC NY
TomorrowWorld
Mysteryland
Stereosonic Festival
Decibel Festival
Hard Day of the Dead
T in the Park
Vertex Festival
The Wrecking Ball
Pemberton Music Festival

Its ironic that this is exactly what happened in the late 90's early 2000's. I remember a point in California when there was literally a massive 30-40k person rave (Huge for back then) every weekend. It got to the point where there were 2 in the same city each weekend. Then all of a sudden the market got way over saturated and all the kids that only went to eat Molly and hand massage each other got burnt out, and the scene died for a long time. Everything got smaller and only the big names survived (Coachella, ULTRA, EDC, Lollapalooza, etc.)

Yeah you nailed a lot of it on the head. Here's the thing too, I've spoken to some people in the music ticketing industry, and according to them it's really really difficult for festivals to profit. In this day and age they can literally take a loss for 4 years before starting to make a good profit. That's an absurd amount of time to grow as a festival in this market, usually they don't have the time to get to that point, as we're seeing some of them cancel in the first year. Some of those ticketing companies won't touch festival deals for that reason, it's a bad business decision.

But yeah, with too many festivals around, it makes it hard for even a festival like EDC to get decent bookings. I didn't wanna say it before but their lineup this year is incredibly weak. I remember the year I saw Pretty Lights, Bassnectar, Flume, Eric Prydz, Disclosure, Gaia, etc. all the same weekend. There isn't anything like that this year.

History is repeating itself..... The bubble is definitely popping slowly. How about concerts? Are they doing decent?

Concerts will continue to do fine, it's almost an entirely different business model without the same risks. It just depends on the individual artists.

Worth mentioning that Live Nation/Ticketmaster owns most venues that artists tour at, and they're doing fine. They bought out Insomniac not too long ago for example (somewhat exempt from what I said above although they still are struggling a bit clearly)

Oxn

-
EDC UK
EDC NY
TomorrowWorld
Mysteryland
Stereosonic Festival
Decibel Festival
Hard Day of the Dead
T in the Park
Vertex Festival
The Wrecking Ball
Pemberton Music Festival

You forgot the Fyre festival lol

History is repeating itself..... The bubble is definitely popping slowly. How about concerts? Are they doing decent?

Maybe prices will come down finally

*old mid-20s guy yelling at clouds*

These new kids are over it from my pov. They've experienced the drugs and the festivals and that's it? A once in a lifetime experience for them and onto the next new and cool thing, I guess *shrugs*

I also think they don't really care about any lineups and, like we discussed last year, just want to go to these festivals for the "experience" or whatever that means. The lineup can be amazing and they still won't go because reasons.

Oxn

*old mid-20s guy yelling at clouds*

These new kids are over it from my pov. They've experienced the drugs and the festivals and that's it? A once in a lifetime experience for them and onto the next new and cool thing, I guess *shrugs*

I also think they don't really care about any lineups and, like we discussed last year, just want to go to these festivals for the "experience" or whatever that means. The lineup can be amazing and they still won't go because reasons.

But for real though, the last quarter or 2 the edm music released have been shit. Nothing memorable from my end.

But for real though, the last quarter or 2 the edm music released have been shit. Nothing memorable from my end.

True. Even for Hardstyle, there hasn't been anything YUUUUUGE lately. It's just in a constant bubble right now with nobody trying to add anything hot to their tracks bar Pop EDM/Dance tracks :/

Aomber

True. Even for Hardstyle, there hasn't been anything YUUUUUGE lately. It's just in a constant bubble right now with nobody trying to add anything hot to their tracks bar Pop EDM/Dance tracks :/
WELL I know someone adding some pretty hot sounds been checking this guy out lately and he's pretty good lol ����

Edit lol

So I guess the big EDM release lately is Axwell /\ Ingrosso's latest EP. I'll give it a listen because why not.

Lol.... Wow, credit to r/hardstyle, -> A.C.E - Cactus. Hardstyle meets K-Pop or is it K-Pop meets Hardstyle. That's such a weird combination that it works. Not bad.

Ashhong

So I guess the big EDM release lately is Axwell / Ingrosso's latest EP. I'll give it a listen because why not.

Lol.... Wow, credit to r/hardstyle, -> A.C.E - Cactus. Hardstyle meets K-Pop or is it K-Pop meets Hardstyle. That's such a weird combination that it works. Not bad.

You have links to other hard style songs like this? With or without vocals

About festivals, I think the popification of edm has had a hand in it. Like some of you said, these kids are just going for the "experience" which I think is a stupid way of saying "get fucked up". They hear what's on the radio, go to a festival, get over it and don't return. Eventually everyone that wants to go to one will have gone, and the crowds and demand will go down. Thank God. I hate these fucking kids and crowds at my festivals and shows.

You have links to other hard style songs like this? With or without vocals

The kicks are more old nu-school Hardstyle and I don't particularly know too much about the older scene. The climax (or for the casual crowd, not directed at you Ash ^_^, the "drop") is more a rawstyle element.

I know you like more melodic stuff based on conversations we've had in here. The A.C.E. track is.... Not necessarily Melodic/Euphoric Hardstyle lol but...

I would recommend:

Wasted Penguinz - Melancholia. Which was what was recommended to me also :)

Wildstylez & Villain - Make The Crowd Move. You might be more interested in Wildstylez though. He is an OG of the scene. If not this track he does have his more famous track with Brennan Heart: Brennan Heart & Wildstylez - Lose My Mind.

For the Rawstyle-like climax, Phuture Noize recently released his latest album and this track -> Fire is similar to the A.C.E. track. There's also his track, The Temple.

D-Block & S-Te-Fan - Music Made Addict. Another older sounding Hardstyle track that is sort of similar to Cactus.

Coone - Beat On My Drum. The same thing as above.

LNY TNZ & Ruthless - Fired Up ft. The Kemist. Cactus can be classified as a "Free"style track or Jumpstyle and LNY TNZ are among the more known producers of both genres.

Hard Driver ft. LXCPR - My Own Space. This is just a random track I threw in here to gauge your response.

-

It's kind of hard to find something really similar to Cactus :/ There hasn't really been much to cross the two genres together (any kind of Pop combined with Hardstyle and vice versa). The Hardstyle scene has been trying really hard to stop the fusion. Like, the closest thing is Melodic/Euphoric/Uplifting Hardstyle but even still they sound entirely different from Cactus.

Listen to those and let me know who you're more leaning towards to. They're older songs so a bit of a warning that they all sound different than they used to due to technology and the new sounds of Hardstyle.

mr stroke

Things have changed. Tickets are now 20x more than what they used to be WOW

The cost for major production values due to being a mainstream festival now

yep $20 pre sale tickets

And those were the days of no Ticketmaster, you had to go to your local record shop to get tickets.
Biggest change is the main stream vs underground. In those days if you went to anything like this you were kind of an outcast "crackhead" "euro disco fag" etc.

So Epic 5.0 was actually pretty disappointing.

Prydz set was only two hours (10 minutes of which was Opus. Good track but it's lost its a surprise factor now), the sound quality was pretty bad, and there was no new ID's.

It was still a good set but after all the hype and build up I was expecting better

mr stroke

So Epic 5.0 was actually pretty disappointing.

Prydz set was only two hours (10 minutes of which was Opus. Good track but it's lost its a surprise factor now), the sound quality was pretty bad, and there was no new ID's.

It was still a good set but after all the hype and build up I was expecting better

Visually was it all new, or re used from last year?

Top Bottom