• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Shopto (UK retailer) cancelled my PS4 preorder for complaining on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Oh, so he possibly said it straight to the customer service rep? That does make it worse, but still not something you ban a customer for. If anything, its more reason to try and be apologetic and do what you can to make them happy. You have to completely wipe away any personal ego doing customer service and just MAKE CUSTOMERS HAPPY within your power. That's it. You put on a fake smile and suck up any shit people give to you.

Ordinarily. In this context they have the upper hand, unfortunately, due to it being a sought-after product.

"Apologize?" he was chatting with a friend. The conversation can be public, but it was not addressed directly to them and it was not something said to any representative of the company, just talking in jest with an unrelated part.

These forums are also public, maybe we should let companies forbid certain users from buying their products when someone talk trash about them (lol).

This is major fuckup from whoever was in charge of that Shopto account and if the story spreads he/she is going to be in trouble.

This is a valid point, I suppose.

Wow that is not cool =/

How long have you been a customer at Shopto, OP?

Although I do sympathise with what Shopto felt when you tweeted that, not a great thing to see being chastised =/

hamchan

It would seriously suck if this gets picked up and the guy handling the account gets fired.

Seems to me the right response. His poor customer service led to this thread seen by thousands, so now it's way worse than just one customer being pissed off.

Derrick01

Banned
Twitter continues to be more trouble than it's worth. Not saying they did the right thing but you should stick to saying "fuck ____" on places like here or some IM program. Who knows maybe you'll end up getting a free PS4 after this inevitably blows up.

They have however used a term for their customer account service in a very shady way - they have invoked closure of that account due to a conversation not involving them. That is potentially disputable and possibly worthy of a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading.

Oh the closure of an account does seem severe. I'm not entirely sure how it works online, but most retailers have had always had the right to refuse to serve customers, normally due to abusive behaviour. ShopTo seem to have misinterpreted an 140 character conversation between friends (always a dangerous thing to do when you lack 2 of the 3 main methods of human comunication, tone and body language) as something more aggressive, in spite of this not being directed at ShopTo personally. The sensible approach would have been to speak to the customer and alleviate any concerns before taking such drastic actions. However the particular human being on the end of their Twitter account has taken offense and committed PR suicide assuming what we've been told so far is accurate anyway.

A grovelling apology, re-instated pre-order and price match with Amazon should be forthcoming from ShopTo before they have a bit of a disaster on their hands.

How come no one has questioned how Shopto saw his tweet. I doubt they are spying on OP. He probably hash tagged Shopto. OP said fuck you to shopto. Shopto said "oh no... fuck you."

Any modern thinking company uses service or programs that monitor terms on social networking sites. Bear in mind that anything you say on Twitter is likely to be monitored by someone. I was followed by a baked beans bot after I mentioned my approval of that student staple, beans on toast.

Sethos

Banned
That's pathetic. Man I would have had a lot of orders cancelled if shops stalked me around and waited for me to say something negative about them.

Then again, ShopTo was the reason I had an entire month of hell because of stolen CC information, thanks to the usual brainfart decision of having your CC information saved directly on the site and then have security run by some incompetent intern. Fuck ShopTo.

pelican

Very immature of them, you better hope you can get another pre order tho

Actually no. The OP was being a bit immature. If he wasn't happy with the deal from Shopto then the mature approach would be to cancel, and purchase the item from Amazon.
Instead he was a bit of a dick about it and got his fingers burnt. Being a customer of a company doesn't give the person the right to be a wanker towards them, or staff. A polite apology was a simple request to follow through on.

I don't work in retail, and I must say thank god for that. I don't think I would be able to hold my tongue dealing with insufferable twats on twitter etc.

Ordinarily. In this context they have the upper hand, unfortunately, due to it being a sought-after product.

Not accurate.

They have no upper hand. They cant do something like this anymore lol.. in this day and age. 10 years ago the company could have told you to fuck off and suck a dick... you would bitch to your friends etc.. now?? one sly comment is blowing up on Twitter and no doubt cost them some business... might not be a lot, but business is business.

Acorn

Sure your chat with your friend was a bit over the top but so what?

This is NOT how a professional business deals with things.

Imagine if your bank closed your account because you complained about them....

Bullshit.
Banks close accounts of abusive customers.

I'm not saying the op was btw.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Well yea, but they wouldn't do that, surely? That's absolutely insane, having companies stalk your social communications.
Of course they'd do that. If you run a twitter account for a company, you'd be checking for tweets about your company daily.

Messi

Very bad customer service from ShopTo but your empty threat of switching when you had zero intention to is pretty stupid too. So I don't know what to think. Maybe they cancel each other out.

One is a person the other is a company. No proper business should respond like this.

Oh, so he possibly said it straight to the customer service rep? That does make it worse, but still not something you ban a customer for. If anything, its more reason to try and be apologetic and do what you can to make them happy. You have to completely wipe away any personal ego doing customer service and just MAKE CUSTOMERS HAPPY within your power. That's it. You put on a fake smile and suck up any shit people give to you.

No, he was speaking to a friend (without ShopTo) they seen his conversation with a friend and canceled his order.

Storm360

To clear it up

The OP asked Shopto if the PS4 bundles they offered would get price cuts, similar to Amazon, Shopto DMed (The equivalent to say, a PM here on Neogaf, no one can read it unless either party decides to make it public, like the OP)

The OP then tweeted about them not price matching Amazon, which someone who is following him replied, This is when OP said the "Fuck You" comment, this is public - although it does not show up unless you are following both users - or looking at the OP's twitter profile

After seeing this, Shopto DMed the user again (private) about the comment, then the rest is as you see in the OP

I just bought a WiiU with them... if I had known I'd probably have bought it on Amazon, this is a joke.
I've been going off of Shopto for a while, but this is ridiculous.

jonno394

Actually no. The OP was the immature one. If he wasn't happy with the deal from Shopto then the adult or mature approach would be to cancel, and purchase the item from Amazon.

Instead he was a bit of a dick about it and got his fingers burnt. Being a customer of a company doesn't give the person the right to be a wanker towards them, or staff. A polite apology was required.

I don't work in retail, and I must say thank god for that. I don't think I would be able to hold my tongue dealing with insufferable twats on twitter etc.

You're missing the point though, he didnt say anything directly to teh company or to a member of staff, this is like me and you shooting the shit near McDonalds saying, "The Big Mac sucks" and then Ronald McDonald walking out telling us we're banned from every McDonalds in the country.

hohoXD123

Wow that is not cool =/

How long have you been a customer at Shopto, OP?

Although I do sympathise with what Shopto felt when you tweeted that, not a great thing to see being chastised =/

But every company is going to get chastised, even companies like Amazon. Difference is that Amazon doesn't go around pushing customers away.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"Apologize?" he was chatting with a friend. The conversation can be public, but it was not addressed directly to them and it was not something said to any representative of the company, just talking in jest with an unrelated part.

These forums are also public (in the sense that anyone could read them), maybe we should let companies forbid certain users from buying their products when someone talk trash about them (lol).

This is major fuckup from whoever was in charge of that Shopto account and if the story spreads he/she is going to be in trouble.

if it was an @ reply to his friend, nobody else would see it unless they were following both of them (i.e presumably in their circle of friends). So it isn't really public, you have to search for it.

And if he was outside your store and complaining about your inferior prices to his friend?

He can take his business elsewhere. What happened sucks but if he was public slamming my company I'd tell him to get fucked. I know plenty of people that go on Facebook and complain about their jobs and the word getting around to the Boss and they end up getting fired. I realize the OP is young and acted like a child but sometimes actions have consequences.

Sony said they'll have walk in stock I'm sure you'll be fine.

SHADES

It's not an infringement on free speech. He was free to vent, ShopTo were free to cancel his pre-order. I don't think ShopTo have went about this in the right way at all, but they haven't breached any freedom of speech laws.

Right ok, I was thinking along the lines of the customer being penalized for speaking his mind which whilst doesn't seem legit but being social media platform not sure where the customer stands?

I would definitely contact Sony PR tho OP I'm sure they're dying to here another glowing report on Shopto's excellent customer service regarding PS4.

Woffls

Closing an account because of remarks on Twitter about a company not an employee is absolutely despicable.

There is a serious lack of good games retailers in the UK now. Missing Gameplay :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Twitter continues to be more trouble than it's worth. Not saying they did the right thing but you should stick to saying "fuck ____" on places like here or some IM program. Who knows maybe you'll end up getting a free PS4 after this inevitably blows up.

years ago I called Amazon "awful and very incompetent" once because they were 7 days late (lost my package in their shipping center), their customer service apologized to me and returned my money and sent my package to me via DHL. online stores should be professional no matter how the people act.

qwerty2k

People shouldn't be so quick to suck amazons proverbial. They avoid uk tax like the plague so I would much rather give my custom to a company based in the uk paying uk taxes tbh. Shopto have excellent delivery just a shame their customer service seems terrible.

Orbis

These forums are also public, maybe we should let companies forbid certain users from buying their products when someone talk trash about them (lol).

This is major fuckup from whoever was in charge of that Shopto account and if the story spread he/she is going to be in trouble.
I have to agree here. If you publicly say something negative, it's just totally unprofessional to use this against the customer. The correct way to respond is like any other professional company would; "We're sorry you're not happy with the service we've provided you" and so on.

Also for the record, ShopTo have terrible customer service from my experience and are also well know for this. I'm not surprised at all.

I have a Ps4 pre-order with shop poo and was gonna cancel it because of the lack of launch games, though maybe I should sign up to twitter first and see if I can get them to cancel it for me hehehe

Andrax

Banned
Sorry if someone has asked this..

but why the hell did you give them your account number? Even by name you were still essentially anonymous up to that point.

Lord Snow

Banned
He didn't send the "as a fuck you" tweet to ShopTo, he wasn't abusive to them at all. It's like ShopTo reading one of your posts on here complaining about them and then deciding to close your account. They're in the wrong.

lol51

This service representative is abusing his power. I wouldn't trust someone like this with credit card information. Additionally, I don't think you can cancel a customers pre-order without their permission - im not sure if Shopto takes any money down to secure a pre-order so if they do they are breaking a contract.

Also, if the OP didnt purchase an unofficial bundle Shopto might be inclined to cancel his order so they can sell an unofficial bundle for a greater profit.

Actually no. The OP was being a bit immature. If he wasn't happy with the deal from Shopto then the mature approach would be to cancel, and purchase the item from Amazon.
Instead he was a bit of a dick about it and got his fingers burnt. Being a customer of a company doesn't give the person the right to be a wanker towards them, or staff. A polite apology was a simple request to follow through on.

He was speaking to a friend in a public space. However vulgar he was is irrevelant. It's like punishing someone for speaking poorly of a company on this forum or even right outside the physical store outside their property. Shopto is in the wrong by far.

pelican

You're missing the point though, he didnt say anything directly to teh company or to a member of staff, this is like me and you shooting the shit near McDonalds saying, "The Big Mac sucks" and then Ronald McDonald walking out telling us we're banned from every McDonalds in the country.

hmm....Maybe I have misunderstood the situation then. Did the OP tell the Shopto Customer Service rep to fuck off, or was it a general public comment.

If it was directly to the Shopto staff member then they are within their rights to cancel his pre-order, but if it was just a general comment like you say then I'm puzzled at the reaction.

Biochet

Seems to me the right response. His poor customer service led to this thread seen by thousands, so now it's way worse than just one customer being pissed off.

A person losing his job in this kind of situation is never right. OP didn't deserve the cancel by any means but he was in the wrong saying "fuck you shopto" because they couldn't drop the price for legitimate reasons.

What are you talking about?

(a) He did say "I'm sorry for the whining" to the rep.

and (b) his comment was in a tweet to his friend, it wasn't directed at the rep or directly to the retailer's twitter account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom