• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

it's fun to rustle jimmies to those who hate rlm on gaf. I'm not going to pretend people were following my lead, I'm sure someone else would have posted it and begun the chain.

Exodust

Banned
That character doesn't look like he matches Rich's voice at all. Glad Rich has a job without abuse for once but I ain't watching no Dreamworks cartoon.

Cheerilee

That character doesn't look like he matches Rich's voice at all. Glad Rich has a job without abuse for once but I ain't watching no Dreamworks cartoon.

Your loss.
Awl9tKW.jpg

lol, all those shitty horror movie endings. Reminds me of Descent, which had its ending changed from hopeless (i.e. kinda like The Mist) to idiot jump scare between regions.

Man, watching those clips of Tom Jane and his son in this summary is so tough now that I'm a dad myself. And I'm glad I saw this before he was born, because I don't think I could watch the ending and not be completely broken.

Joeku

If anyone was disappointed with the Silent Hill movie - which is all of you - and you haven't seen The Mist, watch The Mist.

I fucking love The Mist but the tone is really not quite there.

Fun fact for anyone who hadn't heard this yet: I believe Gabe Newell has said the short story was an inspiration for Half-Life.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
On the first episode of Plinketto they had Star Crystal as one of the possible selections. I was hoping they would watch that one. If you though the Mist had a lame ending, watch Star Crystal:

The film is a Alien ripoff, with an Alien monster killing most of the crew in a spaceship. At the end, the monster hacks into their computer and reads the bible. it then decides that humanity is ok and they all really just had a big misunderstanding about one another. It communicates with final 2 crewmembers and they come to a peaceful resolution. Later it announces that it has to leave and they have an emotional goodbye scene at the end. Then a sappy love song plays over the ending credits.

Tunahead

I love The Mist's ending.

In Red Letter Media Watches the Ending of Resident Evil: Afterlife, Jay describes the ending of Resident Evil: Afterlife as "borderline experimental". It's a very particular ending for a very particular kind of movie.

The Mist's ending is almost the exact polar opposite of that. It's transcendent. It could have worked as the ending of any film in any genre. It is truly all things for all people.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really don't like the Mist because of the ending. That said, it's probably the best ending to any horror movie ever. I'm still shaking my head.

I had totally forgotten that Darabont used the crew from The Shield for this movie. What's Darabont doing these days? Just living off of TWD royalties?

Another Rogue One callback. I can hear the keyboards mashing in the distance!

Even R1 fans aren't sure what the fuck Whitaker was going for in that movie.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I fucking love The Mist but the tone is really not quite there.

Fun fact for anyone who hadn't heard this yet: I believe Gabe Newell has said the short story was an inspiration for Half-Life.

I saw the Mist in theaters and didn't know this going in. Once the military started talking about a portal to another dimension I couldn't stop wondering what Gordon Freeman was up to while we were watching Thomas Jane vs the religious right

The Mist is somewhat special in that it doesn't shy away from revealing 'good people' to be just as bad as anyone else. The social is not the moral, and every pretense -as RLM points out with the logic of the main- is cast aside in the movie. That is what's great about it.
The rest, like the ending, is kind of just fluff. It's that uncompromising vision that makes it worthwhile.

Also, if you think that's a depressing ending, watch Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. Or just about any episode of The Outer Limits. I never get complaints about "the ending wasn't good enough", in particular because changing it destroys the fucking story. You might even argue that the ending of the short story is actually even worse, which Jay really should have pointed out, because in that one
they arrive at a different town, but the mist remains, presumably indefinitely, as it kind of functions as metaphor. The movie shows that it does end, which is why it's such a punch to the gut. It's a literal perversion of the "must have a happy ending" trope, which is what I mean with 'avoiding pretense' since there are no happy endings in reality either

edit: fixed the missing 'not' and 'no'. Apparently my brain has a MISSINGNO or something. :\

I think the Mist movie ending was one of the few instances where Stephen King in all of his air of superiority said that he wishes he would have come up with that ending for his short story

Top Bottom