• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to getting an RBG cable for my Saturn, and I'm super happy with how nice it turned out.

gjQo7fT.jpg

Doesn't look as good with a crappy cell phone pic, but in person it's super clear.

Now if only I could go back in time to buy more Saturn games when they weren't stupid expensive. :(

Rirse

Neo Member
Tempted to get a OSSC as while I love my big CRT with component, it also kinda of a pain to use in the room setup currently. What has changed with it since the My Life in Gaming video about Framemeister alternatives? Can I still use my HD Retrovision cables with it and would it be good on a 4K 65 LG?

Tempted to get a OSSC as while I love my big CRT with component, it also kinda of a pain to use in the room setup currently. What has changed with it since the My Life in Gaming video about Framemeister alternatives? Can I still use my HD Retrovision cables with it and would it be good on a 4K 65 LG?

Better compatibility with TVs and PC Monitors, support for Line 4x and 5x, and HDMI output with support for audio without needing to use the 3.5mm jack on the side

bodine1231

For one it works with my tv now. Second they added a 5x mode which looks great but I wish they'd add a thicker scanlines for 5x. Yes you can use your cables with it.

Rirse

Neo Member
The OSSC had a small hardware revision, switching from DVI to HDMI out with audio support and the addition of 3.5mm input jack for VGA [Dreamcast].

Oh, and several months back a firmware update introduced 4x 5x scale modes, but unfortunately the compatibility issues are still there for some TV sets.

Unfortunately I can't speak for how using the HD Retrovision cables would work as I'm using all scart here.

The LG 4K [I'm assuming OLED] should support all modes, I have a 2016 55 B6 and playing in x5 mode is a sight to behold, the picture is just stunning, you will not have any regrets choosing the OSSC.

Don't have a OLED. I was going to get one, but it was 1000 dollars more so I just got the 65 inch one with HDR support.

Kapow

Does anyone have a link to a good s video cable for the SNES / N64? I've read that there are a lot of bad ones out there so I just want to be safe

Does anyone have a link to a good s video cable for the SNES / N64? I've read that there are a lot of bad ones out there so I just want to be safe

The Monster Cable brand S-Video cable for Gamecube is supposed to be really good actually. I imagine it'll worth on SNES and N64 as well.

Ragejoy

Neo Member
Hey everyone was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for digital to analog converters with little or no input lag. I'm looking to convert a 480p HDMI signal to an analog 480p component signal without any scaling.

televator

Hey everyone was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for digital to analog converters with little or no input lag. I'm looking to convert a 480p HDMI signal to an analog 480p component signal without any scaling.

The OSSC has a passthrough mode where only digitization is done, but perhaps that's more money than you're looking to spend. I don't have much knowledge on the less expensive options.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I didn't even know there was a 1.6 with built-in VGA coming out... that's exactly what I've wanted. At this point, from everything I've read, it's the de-facto best choice for playing retro games over the XRGB.

So yeah, just ordered one. Wish I would have gotten an earlier shipment... won't even ship until October. But I can't WAIT to go through my Dreamcast library on my 4K TV. Very pumped; even texted my BFF and told him let's plan for an entire "retro weekend" when it arrives.

Ragejoy

Neo Member
The OSSC has a passthrough mode where only digitization is done, but perhaps that's more money than you're looking to spend. I don't have much knowledge on the less expensive options.
Not quite what im lookin for, trying to figure out a cheaper way to get my gamecube to do component for my PVM without the official nintendo cables, one way i thought about doing it was the gamecube video hdmi dongle then converting that digital signal back to analog just not sure if theres anything really good for that or not (lag wise). Gonna take a chance with this cable but if anyone has other suggestions let me know!

Rirse

Neo Member
Before I go with either option, what the opinion on my current CRT I am using? It's a Panasonic CT 32SL14J. It a nice big tv I got for free, but don't really see any scanlines unless close. It has component so I been using the HD Retrovision cables on it, which do work great.

Crossposting from the Retro Gaming thread.

Per Rirse:

So was my Panasonic 32SL14J a good model? I can't find anything about it online. Like I said, it looks great still, but don't really see scanlines when sitting about nine feet away from it in a chair. Only really see them when up close. Here a picture of the tv from where I am sitting and up close playing the LttP Randomizer. It does look really good, just do wonder why I don't see the scanlines from where I am sitting?

http://i.imgur.com/Fp52zeO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QEbHE7L.jpg

I was able to dig up the manual and tech specs on Panasonic's website. Dumping them here with the hopes a more knowledgeable poster could asses this CRT.

details - http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/CT-32SL14.html

manual - https://www.manualslib.com/products/Panasonic-Ct32sl14j-32-Color-Tv-2770023.html

Crossposting from the Retro Gaming thread.

Per Rirse:

I was able to dig up the manual and tech specs on Panasonic's website. Dumping them here with the hopes a more knowledgeable poster could asses this CRT.

details - http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/CT-32SL14.html

manual - https://www.manualslib.com/products/Panasonic-Ct32sl14j-32-Color-Tv-2770023.html

I've been trying to dig into consumer CRT info the last couple of weeks myself. After a couple years with a PVM, I'm likely picking up a Trinitron 32FV300, which is pretty highly regarded. It's tough to know exactly what's what with these TVs, because they mostly all have the same features. There's not a ton of minute details to differentiate like with today's TVs. Things were simpler back then. And reviews just weren't as prevalent as they are now.

All that said, this looks like a pretty good TV from what I can tell. Digital comb filter, which helps reduce dot crawl. Component input. Solid name brand. I can make out distinct lines in one pic. Not exactly fat scan lines like a PVM but as the poster above said, you don't find that on big consumer TVs (except, apparently, the Trinitron xxFV310). Geometry looks a little lacking in the other pic, but he can attempt to fiddle with the service menu if there's access.

Rirse

Neo Member
I've been trying to dig into consumer CRT info the last couple of weeks myself. After a couple years with a PVM, I'm likely picking up a Trinitron 32FV300, which is pretty highly regarded. It's tough to know exactly what's what with these TVs, because they mostly all have the same features. There's not a ton of minute details to differentiate like with today's TVs. Things were simpler back then. And reviews just weren't as prevalent as they are now.

All that said, this looks like a pretty good TV from what I can tell. Digital comb filter, which helps reduce dot crawl. Component input. Solid name brand. I can make out distinct lines in one pic. Not exactly fat scan lines like a PVM but as the poster above said, you don't find that on big consumer TVs (except, apparently, the Trinitron xxFV310). Geometry looks a little lacking in the other pic, but he can attempt to fiddle with the service menu if there's access.

I tried to use the service menu before with the 240P Suite, but I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do. Wish My Life in Gaming would get to their video about adjusting this.

bodine1231

Had a nice "holy shit" moment just now. I finally got around to plugging up each of the PVM 1954q's from the lot that I purchased and check/fix the geometry. Well,when I got to the last one I noticed it was a bit heavier than the other 2, I looked at the label and low and behold,it was a 20M4U,with PERFECT geometry! Yeah,my dumbass didnt bother to check the labels when the seller told me they were all 1954q's. I immediately swapped the white M2U for the matching M4U.

Now that I have them side by side, I thought the M4U was awesome as thats what I had before I got my 20L5,but holy shit,the 20L5 DESTROYS the M4U in terms of clarity and sharpness. Like,its not even close.

rrVH0U0l.jpg

televator

I think you got his question mixed up ;)

Not quite what im lookin for, trying to figure out a cheaper way to get my gamecube to do component for my PVM without the official nintendo cables, one way i thought about doing it was the gamecube video hdmi dongle then converting that digital signal back to analog just not sure if theres anything really good for that or not (lag wise). Gonna take a chance with this cable but if anyone has other suggestions let me know!

Ah derpy me. I read that backwards somehow. Guy needs a DAC, not a ADC. K, ignore my scrubby ass. lol

bobble

I'm looking for the same thing! I have the HDMI dongle and I've tried this Radioshack HDMI to Component adapter (which works on my AVS 720p no problem to my HD CRT) but nothing comes through on the GC. Please post in here if you find a solution, I'll do the same! Thanks.

Had a nice "holy shit" moment just now. I finally got around to plugging up each of the PVM 1954q's from the lot that I purchased and check/fix the geometry. Well,when I got to the last one I noticed it was a bit heavier than the other 2, I looked at the label and low and behold,it was a 20M4U,with PERFECT geometry! Yeah,my dumbass didnt bother to check the labels when the seller told me they were all 1954q's. I immediately swapped the white M2U for the matching M4U.

Now that I have them side by side, I thought the M4U was awesome as thats what I had before I got my 20L5,but holy shit,the 20L5 DESTROYS the M4U in terms of clarity and sharpness. Like,its not even close.

rrVH0U0l.jpg

tate is cool

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, I'm going to clean house on my old website soon and take a lot of things down. That will probably include most of the videos and images linked in the OP.

Looking back on it, some of that info is out of date or not 100% accurate, and some video examples could be captured/demonstrated slightly better. I believe I chose to do direct video download links instead of Youtube back then because Youtube didn't yet offer 60fps playback at the time. So, a lot of the videos could probably just be moved over there now.

Let me know if there's anything in particular that you guys think should be kept, what could be trashed, and what should be changed.

Also, is Mega permed? Dude hasn't posted in 3 months.

Crynox

Neo Member

rrVH0U0l.jpg

Hey where did you get Mario and Mega Man from, (on top the monitors ?
Looks really cool!

Peltz

rrVH0U0l.jpg

The PVM M2U and M4U series of monitors are not known to be super sharp. They're way WAY sharper than consumer sets but pale in comparison to the other worldliness a lot of other broadcast monitors.

Some people prefer that though for a more authentic (albeit enhanced) look though. They're sort of a happy medium between consumer grade and super high grade.

I'd certainly prefer a 20L5 though if given the option. That's a dream-set. Take good care of it.

bodine1231

The PVM M2U and M4U series of monitors are not known to be super sharp. They're way WAY sharper than consumer sets but pale in comparison to the other worldliness a lot of other broadcast monitors.

Some people prefer that though for a more authentic (albeit enhanced) look though. They're sort of a happy medium between consumer grade and super high grade.

I'd certainly prefer a 20L5 though if given the option. That's a dream-set. Take good care of it.

Yeah its something you'd never notice unless they are side by side. It looks like the M4U has Vaseline smeared on the screen next to the 2L5.

TeaJay

That's funny, I also have those same Pixel Pals and at some point I had them sitting on my PVM.

Have to say that after playing 1chip SNES mini on my 20M4E I really can't imagine it being a lot sharper still - or if I would even prefer it. I'm happy with the sharpness of my current set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom