• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

If the switch was under supply constraints in Japan, how come there was any bump in HW at all? I think the baseline for the last couple of weeks had little to nothing to do with constraints.
They have been making special Splatoon bundles which they couldn't release until now. I'm guessing 60-70k are those.

jts

...hate me...
If the switch was under supply constraints in Japan, how come there was any bump in HW at all? I think the baseline for the last couple of weeks had little to nothing to do with constraints.
It has been reported for a long time Nintendo were holding back / allocating some more stock for the Splatoon launch, which is this. I mean the lines and the lotteries and the disappointed people going home without a Switch have been there every single week so yeah.

maxcriden

Nice bump for MK8D. I wonder if new Switch owners will go back and get ARMS or BOTW soon.

06./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 12.980 / 588.028 (+12%)

08./07. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 7.984 / 177.987 (-8%)

10./08. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 5.989 / 543.016 (-15%)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
For comparison sake

And for additional context, the PS4 was just over 3.5 million and the Vita was over 5 million.

So it's not a Disgaea 5C situation where it sold proportionally to the PS4 version when comparing userbases.

Switch versions is a late version, comparable to only this:
06./00. [PS4] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star - Velber Box {PlayStation 4 \ PlayStation Vita} <ACT> (Marvelous) {2016.11.10} (¥19.990) - 18.439 / NEW

And sold not that much lower.
Or are we faking it's a brand new game? lol

Zedark

I find it curious that the other software didn't increase for Switch. I get that Splatoon 2 took most of the bandwidth, but I had expected a bit more for ARMS, BOTW and MK8D since we are looking at a 3 1/3 times increase in Switch units.

maxcriden

I find it curious that the other software didn't increase for Switch. I get that Splatoon 2 took most of the bandwidth, but I had expected a bit more for ARMS, BOTW and MK8D since we are looking at a 3 1/3 times increase in Switch units.

I was surprised by that also. I wonder if it is partly just that people will think to themselves, it's a new system, Splatoon 2 will keep me busy.

So is the switch going back to 30k baseline next week? Or are we expecting an increase?

Nintendo indicated they will improve stock in July and August, so hopefully it will be up from here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1395634&page=1

"The company pointed out that new stock is being shipped daily, and shipments will be increased further in July, and August, particularly the Splatoon 2 bundle. This bundle is Japan-only, though." Link

cheesekao

Splatoon dominating as expected. However, I find it odd that other Switch software didn't get much of a bump due the increased Switch stock.

Zedark

Maybe those new adopters will go back and get another game in the following weeks. It might be a bit much for some people to pick up a new system and 2+ games, especially for young kids.
I was surprised by that also. I wonder if it is partly just that people will think to themselves, it's a new system, Splatoon 2 will keep me busy.

Yeah, I considered that. I wonder if we might see some increase next week, then, when a decent subset of the newcomers move on to a new primary game in addition to the typical sales numbers for the titles.

Maybe those new adopters will go back and get another game in the following weeks. It might be a bit much for some people to pick up a new system and 2+ games, especially for young kids.

13ruce

Banned
I kinda hope someday they will atleast start counting sold retail/webstore download codes for games sold numbers. I think with those it could have been 700k+ for Splatoon atleast.

mclem

Wait... Splatoon 2 has outsold Mario Kart? I really didn't see that coming. I guess it's not a 'new' MK, but still...

Guymelef

Switch versions is a late version, comparable to only this:
06./00. [PS4] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star - Velber Box {PlayStation 4 \ PlayStation Vita} <ACT> (Marvelous) {2016.11.10} (¥19.990) - 18.439 / NEW

And sold not that much lower.
Or are we faking it's a brand new game? lol

"Velber Box", the 19,990&#20870; version.
[PSV] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Marvelous, 11/10/16) &#8211; 73,019 (New)
[PS4] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Marvelous, 11/10/16) &#8211; 67,356 (New)
[PS4] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Velber Box (Marvelous, 11/10/16) &#8211; 18,439 (New)

Zedark

Wait... Splatoon 2 has outsold Mario Kart? I really didn't see that coming. I guess it's not a 'new' MK, but still...

Splatoon 2 will also outsell the new Mario Kart when that releases for Switch, though. It's going to be potentially the biggest game on the system in Japan.

Toni

Amazing achievement for PS4 sales.

The concept of a traditional video game console still selling 5 million is everything. Although, its the last traditional console we will see selling that much in Japan.

Sony has to take the route of on-the-go for PS5. Phones and Nintendo systems are making a killing off of it.

Steejee

It's still hard for me to believe that a frickin third person team multiplayer shooter is the must-have game in Japan. Good on Nintendo for both S2 and ARMs - putting out some fantastic new IPs successfully.

deleted

With 100k freshly sold Switches, I find it surprising that Zelda is down this week while Mario Kart is up.

I would have bet on both games having synergy effects with the Splatoon 2 boost.

maxcriden

Others have covered the reason for the bump in sales this week (stockpiling in general for the big release this week and stockpiling specifically for the Splatoon 2 bundle, as well as Nintendo noting they will increase supply in July and August), but as to the baseline having little or nothing to do with constraints, can I ask why makes you say that? The reports regarding long lines in Japan and lottery systems and quick sellouts appear to indicate systems are being sold for the most part very quickly after they are put on physical or virtual shelves.

Alrus

Honestly expected way worse for Fate Extella. That's a better debut than Disgaea at least.

Not saying it's good but it's not Wii U late releases level of bad :p

No bump for Zelda though, kinda disappointing. I guess the 1 million sales will be hard to reach (or will take a long ass time).

Zedark

With 100k freshly sold Switches, I find it surprising that Zelda is down this week while Mario Kart is up.

I would have bet on both games having synergy effects with the Splatoon 2 boost.
What could be the case is that the audience for Splatoon 2 skews rather mainstream, and as a result doesn't pick up multiple games at a time.

Is the sales for Splatoon only count three days?
Yes.
Is YSO pre-orders? And 1 million for BOTH!? Jeebus.
YSO is an analyst firm that predicts weekly game sales. They are pretty good, but aren't always on the mark (they predicted 850k for Splatoon 2 for example, and 75k for ARMS).

Madao

Splatoon 1 outsold Mario Kart 8 on Wii U.

back when Splatoon was an unproven IP and MK8 was new.

Splatoon is a beast.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Option 1: congratulations! You're a genius that has exposed a switch shortage conspiracy perpetuated by Neogaf, the games media, Nintendo, retailers, and consumers.

Or

Option 2: you haven't quite thought things through.

I don't get it...isn't fate extremely cheap in the eShop compared to physical release?

The game is 60 USD physical according to amazon
but in Mexico's eShop is the equivalent of 43 USD
It's 8424 Yen on the eshop. That's the equivalent of 75 USD. Fanservice doesn't come cheap.

Usually I don't do that but: LOL!

Zedark

After not having charted for 4 weeks, 1-2-Switch! emerges with 11k sales in 5 weeks. This seems very steady, looks like it could climb a bit further in the coming months.
Damn dude, at first I read this as you assuming Nintendo was stockpiling for the last few weeks and that was why the shipments were so low compared to before, but no, you're just being a little thick.

jts

...hate me...
Amazing achievement for PS4 sales.

The concept of a traditional video game console still selling 5 million is everything. Although, its the last traditional console we will see selling that much in Japan.

Sony has to take the route of on-the-go for PS5. Phones and Nintendo systems are making a killing off of it.

You know what else is making a killing?

The PS4.

Sony should stick to what works for them instead of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Jamix012

Splatoon 2 did well, but I don't know. I don't feel it will be the cultural phenomenon in Japan that Splatoon 1 was. It will have some legs, but less than its predecessor.

Top Bottom