• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I find that hard to believe cause a lot of of the other bosses are far fairer than her. I'm nearing the end of the game and I have a hard time believing this.

She is simply a boss with bad design.

So all the bosses I'm bad at have bad design lul.

Defuser

I'm nearly at the end of the game with 2 main story missions left but to be frank I felt the last few missions to be a slog. Combat is great but the problem is the lack of variety selection for enemies.

Almost every mission there will always be a Yoki,Amrita fiend,flying flame heads,skeleton warriors,humans,one eye ogre,undead miners. Its gets stale as it you progress further.

I know I shouldn't compare to Souls game but Soul games kept it fresh by having new different enemies for each area.

Schlomo

After struggling with her forever in the demo, in the final game I beat her on first try both times I encountered her so far. You just have to be patient and not get greedy.

IvorB

I find that hard to believe cause a lot of of the other bosses are far fairer than her. I'm nearing the end of the game and I have a hard time believing this.

Nah. She seems to be the most rage-inducing but she’s not that hard and I enjoy fighting her a lot. I remember a guy wanted to sell his game because of her. Her moves are actually pretty easy to avoid once you know them. No way is she a poorly designed boss.

So, my build at the moment focuses on getting behind the enemy and wrecking them which I am enjoying a lot. I’ve cleared most of the new missions (think I have about two left). I’m really dreading the double bill with the
ninja woman
. Her jumping around is super annoying. Kind of disappointed with Way of the Strong though. It seems to be literally same as regular with slightly more health and damage. It thought they might switch up the enemy placement a bit.

Twookie

I really like Hino-Enma, she was like the first real skill-check in the game. After you learn how she works and her patterns, she isn't that hard at all.

Just beat the game. Or at least the main story(assuming nothing pops up after unlocking strong mode i am unaware of). Unfortunately I've got a ton of other games to finish, so it might be a while till I even consider getting back in for the post game stuff(dlc... might be a different matter. I have no idea what is in it though, hopefully its some interesting stuff), especially since I have P5 coming in tomorrow... Hopefully some kind of sequel is planned, caused I'd like to see them do a lot more with this and maybe fix some of the rough edges(enemy variety is the first thing that comes to mind...).

And yeah. Hino was a bitch to beat at first, but once I figured her out, I was even able to take out her nightmare version out in one try. And then when she shows up at the end of the game... its not even fair.

hichanbis

Banned

You're the boss with bad design.

Seriously, she is pretty easy once you know the patterns.
She usually doesn't land a hit on me anymore.

Now that I'm used to fighting Nioh bosses (currently in NG+) I don't find any boss to be difficult.
Fighting two at once is something else though (Nobunaga + Obsidian in the free dlc mission is so hard)

IvorB

You're the boss with bad design.

Seriously, she is pretty easy once you know the patterns.
She usually doesn't land a hit on me anymore.

Now that I'm used to fighting Nioh bosses (currently in NG+) I don't find any boss to be difficult.
Fighting two at once is something else though ( in the free dlc mission is so hard)

Yeah I feel like once you've tasted the double boss encounters it puts stuff in perspective difficulty-wise. I love they that just didn't give a f**k about putting two bosses together like they did. They didn't even tone them down a bit or anything.

ps3ud0

WTF she's easy - didn't get to meet her in the Beta so she was new to me in the final game and really easy to deal with. Not met her NG+ form though.

Just pay attention and don't get greedy.

ps3ud0 8)

most annoying enemy of the game has to be the Reven Tengu. i can't even seem to get more than two hits on them at a time when they still have ki.

Kalentan

No shes not. You are simply a bad player.

Of course, clearly it can't be something wrong with the game. It has to be the player. Right. Sorry but no. Nearly every boss in the game has fair gameplay mechanics that rarely feel cheap and are rewarding to down. She is neither fun to fight nor feel fair. Most bosses have clear indications when they're about to do a move. However she has little to wind up times (She can go from standing still to spinning in half a second) and it's those attacks that do that land the most damage.

Or how it's completely random whether or not she even does her final kick downwards. Sometimes she does it and other times she doesn't. There is no rythem to figure out. Beating her simply feels like you got lucky that she decided to spam her moves that are easiest to dodge.

IvorB

Of course, clearly it can't be something wrong with the game. It has to be the player. Right. Sorry but no. Nearly every boss in the game has fair gameplay mechanics that rarely feel cheap and are rewarding to down. She is neither fun to fight nor feel fair. Most bosses have clear indications when they're about to do a move. However she has little to wind up times (She can go from standing still to spinning in half a second) and it's those attacks that do that land the most damage.

Or how it's completely random whether or not she even does her final kick downwards. Sometimes she does it and other times she doesn't. There is no rythem to figure out. Beating her simply feels like you got lucky that she decided to spam her moves that are easiest to dodge.

We have seen this rage and these arguments before :). In fact, her attacks are easy to anticipate and dodge. If you haven't figured this out for yourself yet, I‘m sure you will in time. She is fast and doesn't have big wind ups but that's fine. She doesn't have a lot of moves anyway. Learn to anticipate her moves and act accordingly rather than looking for a ”rhythm".

Freeman76

Sorry but no. You just dont have the patience to learn obviously. Every one of your complaints is easily countered by fighting her a few times. Im not even that good at the game and I dont have any of these issues.

Kalentan

Sorry but no. You just dont have the patience to learn obviously. Every one of your complaints is easily countered by fighting her a few times. Im not even that good at the game and I dont have any of these issues.

I'm sorry I hate this argument. I have the patience to learn, don't just go and assume that. I've played and beaten all the Souls games and most of this game and all of that has been done through learning game mechanics and using that knowledge to beat tough encounters.

She's just a bullshit boss. I've fought her plenty of times in her level and now on one of the side missions. She's not fun to fight and beating her never felt like an accomplishment like beating Orphan or Ludwig.

I'm sorry I hate this argument. I have the patience to learn, don't just go and assume that. I've played and beaten all the Souls games and most of this game and all of that has been done through learning game mechanics and using that knowledge to beat tough encounters.

She's just a bullshit boss. I've fought her plenty of times in her level and now on one of the side missions. She's not fun to fight and beating her never felt like an accomplishment like beating Orphan or Ludwig.

She's actually pretty easy to dodge and block once you get her moves down. Don't forget that any type of ray based shot (her paralysis, shengu's wind) you need to dodge into to avoid getting hit.

I'd recommend a strategy video on here. She's not that bad. One of the harder bosses for me, but not unbeatable.

On a related note, I blew through Oda Nobunaga and Derek/Amirita Derek like it was nothing. I was only level 120 too. It all depends on your playstyle.

Baalzebup

Bahah, there is nothing bad or bullshit design-wise about Hino-Enma. She is fast and hits hard, but she has clear tells for her most deadly moves and you can note the moments when she is going on the offense. So what if she has some variation to her kick and umbrella combos? You can always wait to see if the 3rd attack is coming or not and react appropriately.

Nakadai30

People still bitching and moaning about this game? I suck at games and I died fighting umi-bozu so many times, I got pissed, sure, but I never ran online and wah wah wah'd about it and said the game was crap. Sheesh. You figure out what strategy works for you, and you beat them. Sometimes it takes time, effort, and a little bit of luck. Same as any other game not for toddlers.

xuchu

Here's a good video that keeps it simple and shows you the telegraphs that you have to watch for:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=OCXa1ROvZig

But frankly speaking, your posts show an incredible amount of arrogance and an unwillingness to learn. Even more hilarious that the person that you're responding to has done most of the bosses at level 1.

IvorB

If we’re talking about wack bosses what the about the spider chick? What does she do? I’ve fought her a couple of times and she never seems to make an impact.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah... No. She's never fun to fight. There is nothing to learn. She's pure bullshit. It's telling that no boss after her, outside maybe the Umi-bozu is as hard as her.
lol wat. Yuki-onna was wayyyy harder. Not to mention all those double-encounters.

Lol feels like the first week all over again. Hino-Enma brings the salt.
inorite

No shes not. You are simply a bad player.
Ouch.
No lies detected though

Sorry but no. At some point I posted two videos of me fighting Hino-enma, once in the beta, where I sucked, was constantly sloppy, etc. and still won. And much later, in the final game, where I handled her much better -- still made mistakes but recovered from them. And it shows how I could deal with her attacks much better. Now I did some late-game missions with boss rush modes where she's in it, and I kick her ass because she doesn't scare me anymore.

Keep stubbornly insisting it's the game and not you, and you'll always be frustrated and never get better. Hino-enma is a great boss with perfectly telegraphed (but fast!) tells. Just need somewhat faster reflexes than in Souls games, but that's OK.

hino emma got to the point where I could fight her as a regular enemy rather than a boss. Surprised they didnt use her more considering what they did to
ship boi

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Where is my sexy DLC? I needs it in me veins.

Also, I don't mind Hino-Enma. She's easy to read/dodge if you're not rushing in all the damn time and playing patiently. Key is always spacing though. Be close enough to punish whiffs but not too close to get caught. She is the first real skill test/check in the game.

If we're talking about wack bosses what the about the spider chick? What does she do? I've fought her a couple of times and she never seems to make an impact.
Utterly useless lol. I remember thinking wtf was that the first time cause I beat her so fast on first try lol.

What? I beat Yuki-onna on my 1st try... She was super easy. Sorry but that says a lot more about you then me if that's considered a harder fight.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess? I found Yuki-onna, Giant Toad, Nue, Ishida Mitsunari, Shima Sakon, and Yamata-no-Orochi to be much more difficult than Hino, though that's just me.

For me, Hino became much easier once I learned how to dodge her attacks properly. Her attacks all have clear audio cues, so once I got the timing down, she actually wasn't that hard to manage. I had a lot of trouble with her at first, but now, I can usually finish the fight without taking any damage.

That being said, she is a boss where screwing up can cost you big time, so if you're more prone to making mistakes, it's definitely a tense encounter.

Baalzebup

Uh, anyone willing to help out with some item copying? I just managed to craft a divine Red Demons chest piece with item drop rate +20% as a transferable (and is at zero fam.)

Mendrox

No please. Enno-hima is such a fun boss fight, because you can also only use sounds and still win. She is not hard and the first true wall for beginners.

Dysun

Currently in the 4th region. I was able to put the game down for a month to play Zelda and pick it up like nothing happened. Pretty surprised as I usually get curb stomped when I do that in Souls.
Thankfully its easy to pick up and put down since the mission structure is a bit too repetitive for me to mainline it.

Combat is glorious, and I appreciate it even more after the boring combat in Zelda.

randomkid

Quick question, when you beat the game, is it like Bloodborne where you get kicked into New Game Plus against your will? Or will I be allowed to go back or reload a save to check out all the sub-missions I skipped?

Quick question, when you beat the game, is it like Bloodborne where you get kicked into New Game Plus against your will? Or will I be allowed to go back or reload a save to check out all the sub-missions I skipped?

You can always go back. NG and NG+ are like two different maps that you can switch between whenever you want.

Baalzebup

The "NG+" in this, the Way of the Strong, is a separate difficulty mode that can be toggled freely from the world map. You will never lose access to anything.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Opposite of BB thankfully! You can do all missions as many times as you want, any time you want. Can switch between NG+ and regular difficulty any time after you beat the game once.

Edit: Beaten like a ninja dog.

I need Close Combat Damage 50% on my main sword cuz 20% is not enough. Must see higher numbers.

Aizo

Banned
You dreamt of a game you don't own? Sounds to me like you need to get Nioh.
Honestly, it truly does look very fun. Unfortunately, with my other hobbies and work, I do not really enjoy games in which I die and lose progress because I can completely lose all the progress I've had time for in a several day or week span. It would take me like 6 months to beat at my typical rate. When I die and lose progress in games now, I just feel like I should have done something else with my time.

Toggling NG+ would really come in handy if say a particular new dlc is way harder than the base content and you find yourself stuck fighting a giant man-horse that stunlock you into oblivion >_>

Honestly, it truly does look very fun. Unfortunately, with my other hobbies and work, I do not really enjoy games in which I die and lose progress because I can completely lose all the progress I've had time for in a several day or week span. It would take me like 6 months to beat at my typical rate. When I die and lose progress in games now, I just feel like I should have done something else with my time.

...I think there is some misunderstanding here but you don't lose days or weeks of progress in these games. It's simply, incredibly not possible.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Toggling NG+ would really come in handy if say a particular new dlc is way harder than the base content and you find yourself stuck fighting a giant man-horse that stunlock you into oblivion >_>
Centaur DLC when? lol

Edit:
Haha you sound just like me. I haaaate losing progress these days cause time is quite limited but once you find that one game that clicks for you, all that shit goes out the window and you'll gladly invest said time. Because the gameplay/combat is just too damn solid and worthwhile to master.

big fake

Wait people find Hino enma hard??? Wow found her super easy. Overall the game has been pretty simple for me. I've died most to a boss was Nue. Maybe 4 deaths. I still have 3 bosses to face in the main story. Will finish it when exams are over.

Some of you might be surprised to hear, but people even had problems with the Ogress back in LCT, myself included lol.

"How to beat Ogress" was the second most asked question.

Baalzebup

Some of you might be surprised to hear, but people even had problems with the Ogress back in LCT, myself included lol.

"How to beat Ogress" was the second most asked question.
Next time someone asks that, I'll just answer "motorboat her" and leave it at that. I'll be mostly correct as well.

Fuck me.

The boss has a close quarters spin move, how can we possible dodge this!
Idk maybe dont stand right fucking next to her
https://youtu.be/QwxWStiVuu4?t=51s
ZTrjA6lKvB7Q4.gif

And o shit the boss has mix ups!
Does this really need spelling out?
Watch this gonna blow your mind,
https://youtu.be/QwxWStiVuu4?t=19s
She starts the string, and yea heres the shocker, i dont attack straight away, i bait the finisher, and then attack.
26ufdipQqU2lhNA4g.gif

Seriously get over yourself, if you cant understanding the basic concepts of distance and observation, you dont have any business talking about good boss design.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What? I beat Yuki-onna on my 1st try... She was super easy. Sorry but that says a lot more about you then me if that's considered a harder fight.
LOL

People find different things difficult (also greatly varies on build/gear loadout), that's all my post says about anything. Your own attitude, however, does say a fuckton about you.

Fuck me.

The boss has a close quarters spin move, how can we possible dodge this!
Idk maybe dont stand right fucking next to her
https://youtu.be/QwxWStiVuu4?t=51s
ZTrjA6lKvB7Q4.gif

And o shit the boss has mix ups!
Does this really need spelling out?
Watch this gonna blow your mind,
https://youtu.be/QwxWStiVuu4?t=19s
She starts the string, and yea heres the shocker, i dont attack straight away, i bait the finisher, and then attack.
26ufdipQqU2lhNA4g.gif

Seriously get over yourself, if you cant understanding the basic concepts of distance and observation, you dont have any business talking about good boss design.
lmao

orkanamn

Banned
Is there a way to see what I have left in a region? And what is needed to complete them? I mean the meter isn't full after completing all missions and finding all kodamas. Is it a hot spring left or something?

Top Bottom