• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Naka

A group of 4 guildies and I ran ZA last night, so we just had to grab a healer using the dungeon finder. We 1-shotted most of the bosses with the exception of the last boss. Our healer was just not keeping up at all. Finally got a new one that would listen to us and understood how we were rotating the surges from bear form and got him. Overall I agree that the trash seemed harder than the bosses. Thinking back to when I first did ZA at 70, this seems like a walk in the park.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
jlai said:
I healed a random heroic last night for the goody bar and received 90g and a level 80 +armor potion I believe

Interesting. Looks like the RNG is more than I thought it would be.

I also noticed that the price of obsidium ore has suddenly doubled on my server. A stack went for no more than 60g last week, and I can easily sell it for 110-120g now. Making obsurd money farming Deepholm atm (keep the elementium for leveling engineering, while selling most of the obsidium).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naka said:
A group of 4 guildies and I ran ZA last night, so we just had to grab a healer using the dungeon finder. We 1-shotted most of the bosses with the exception of the last boss. Our healer was just not keeping up at all. Finally got a new one that would listen to us and understood how we were rotating the surges from bear form and got him. Overall I agree that the trash seemed harder than the bosses. Thinking back to when I first did ZA at 70, this seems like a walk in the park.
I eventually found a group that just 1 shot everything without any CC except on Malacrass's snake thing. ZA isn't particularly hard, especially if you remembered it from back in the day. Just move out of things that look painful.

This patch hardly seems worth 5 months...why didn't they just tack some half-baked troll raid on it?

Manus

We one shotted everything except the troll boss with the totems, we had some DPS not killing the totems, but we eventually got it. Overall I thought the fights were a lot more fun that what we have in current heroics.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Ok, we need some bosses for Firelands...

How about Firedog?

BRILLIANT!

Fire..spider?

KEEP THEM COMING!

Fire protodrake! Fire scorpion!

Alex

Half of what you listed are just Fandral's shapeshfit forms, and it's the elemental plane of fire is it not? What should they have there? Snowman boss?

Entropia said:
Well, Blizzard's put up some preview videos for 4.2. http://www.wowheadnews.com/blog=187996/patch-4-2-firelands-preview

Fresh meat to chew on!

Normally I'm in favor of longerish raid cycles (as long as there is enough content to make it interesting, and no ICC, I don't mean you. However, as I haven't been playing so much, we're overdue for new raid content, especially with the relatively low amount presented at launch and considering that we had Ulduar for a couple weeks now at this point 2 years ago. Though I suppose it's fair to say that I had never raided before Ulduar had been out for a couple of weeks at least, so maybe I'm not the best to comment.

New ZG is really fun! Lots of interesting mechanics on each boss, especially Zanzil and Venoxis. Also loads of cool quotes from these guys.

Morn

Banned
dave is ok said:

How about Firedog?

BRILLIANT!

Fire..spider?

KEEP THEM COMING!

I can't wait until everyone in Stormwind is flying around on their Fire protodrake mount.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Morn said:
I can't wait until everyone in Stormwind is flying around on their Fire protodrake mount.
I want rocket powered boots that let you fly like superman.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
dave is ok said:

How about Firedog?

BRILLIANT!

Fire..spider?

KEEP THEM COMING!

How about an inter-dimensional war that the players interrupt? Say you have Ragnaros on one side and another Firelord from where ever with an army of Ethereals (you remember those guys, right Blizzard?) with an enslaved Nexus King (mirroring the conflict in Blackrock mountain). i dunno. im just drunk and thinking.

edit:
And fuck getting a mount out of it. Fuck that. The fun toy would be the wrappings of whatever Nexus King. Useable item with a 1 hour cooldown that makes your character model do like that shimmer/strobe light effect for 10 minutes.

Angry Grimace

water_wendi said:
How about an inter-dimensional war that the players interrupt? Say you have Ragnaros on one side and another Firelord from where ever with an army of Ethereals (you remember those guys, right Blizzard?) with an enslaved Nexus King (mirroring the conflict in Blackrock mountain). i dunno. im just drunk and thinking.

edit:
And fuck getting a mount out of it. Fuck that. The fun toy would be the wrappings of whatever Nexus King. Useable item with a 1 hour cooldown that makes your character model do like that shimmer/strobe light effect for 10 minutes.
Ethereals have a story which is already complete. There are no other Firelords.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Angry Grimace said:
Ethereals have a story which is already complete. There are no other Firelords.

So Cyrukh the Firelord is destroyed because of you and the elemental spirits rest easy. Onward you go, proud in the knowledge that some peace has come to Draenor. Onward you go, through the Black Temple, stopping KJ from coming to Azeroth, knocking the Lich King out like a palsied fifth grader, until you get to right before Deathwing. Not knowing whats been going on in Draenor all those years is getting ready to hit you in the gut and is just around the corner (hint: its Firelands).

So what has been happening? Cyrukh as a being disperses into oblivion in SMV. The other Draenor Elemental Lords are pondering their (relatively on a geological scale) imminent doom. This lamenting gives way to anger for their home and kingdoms destroyed. They decide to make a suicide pact to take revenge out on the one responsible for the damage (Cyrukh) and the one responsible for Cyrukhs eternal rest (how hes dissipated he is in a state of non-being).

Now there are two different raids.. there is raid with the plot to resurrect Cyrukh and the Instance with the plot to kill you (yes you, Legalololas, have doomed my and my siblings will keep you alive in never-ending pain for as long as we possibly can.. an eon, if fortune smiles on us!).

Cryukh Raid
This is the idea for the Firelands raid that got me thinking about what i would do instead.

1. First off, why use Ragnaros for the resurrection of Cyrukh? Because Azeroth will be destroyed in the process and you (the one that put Cyrukh beyond the Draenor Lords reach), plainly enough.

2. Why dont the Draenor Lords just chill in Azeroths Firelands forever? Because regardless of where they are they are still children of Draenor and thus will perish when Draenor does.

3.What are the Draenor Lords (DL from here on) plan? They want revenge on Cyrukh because of what part he played in Draenors destruction (forgive me if im getting the lore a bit off here.. im drunk and Blizzard can always retcon it so my version works later.. after my paycheck from them clears). The reason they are here is although they have the Dust of Cyrukh, they need a sacrificial Fire Lord to ressurect him just to shatter him (shattering him would be different since where he was atomized by the player he was in a state of non-existence.. shattering, however, would basically ensure that he would be entrapped in billons of powerless prisons where he can only observe but not interact.. each of these later have different psychoses btw).

4. How are the DL going to get Ragnaros, seemingly a much stronger elemental lord, to submit? As the Ethereum is getting ready to evacutate and celebrating their victory over Dimensius, the three DL ambush them. Although their weaponry was attuned to fight Shadow, they had a weakened effect on the elemental status of the DL and were enslaved. The reasons the Ethereals were sought for subjugation were their interdimensional transportation technology. If the DL walked in through the Dark Portal, the jig would be up before they could make it out of the Blasted Lands. No, to enact their plan they had to act quickly and with extreme discretion.

Using their Ethereal slaves they ported directly into Ragnaros' Lair in the Firelands while the Firelord was reconstituting himself after his defeat at Mount Hyjal. While Azeroths Fire Elementals were weakened by Rags temporary defeat, the DL ported right into the Firelands from Outland and basically whooped all kinds of ass, without even a soul outside that Azerothian plane of existence knowing anything was going on. And to top things off, the DL have erected a prison around Rags' resurrection circle so when he rematerializes he is instantaneously incarcerated while he is sitting upon his own throne.

Needless to say, Ragnaros is pissed. Not only is he going to be used for a sacrifice that will destroy Azeroth and shatter him, but his only hope for survival are the heroes that put him there (his calls for Deathwing go unanswered for whatever reason and the only reason you showed up was to kill Rag but the Earthen Ring soon find out wtf is going on with the quest hub area for the zone (think Isle of Q'D)).

5. What is the raid? Its kind of like that one Wotlk raid with the wings, but the wings here are parts of the zone map but occupying a different "time" when in raid. The different wings are different lines of the story timeline in the DLs final preparations to resurrect and shatter Cyrukh, im not going to write the whole thing dialoge and all but this is more of a mechanics thinking part. im just brainstorming here for general ideas.

The You Dungeon

1. This raid is unlocked during the Firelands quest chain for the Cyrukh raid. When you showed up in the Firelands, the DL were caught off guard. They initially wanted to just destroy you by destoying your planet and not going after you with assassins or something stupid. However, once you start monkeying with their plans its not long before you start to get some of their attention. The DL decide that you are to share in the same fate as Cyrukh and between their elemental know-how thats applicable to living things (the minerals in your body, the water that makes up your cells, the air that oxygenates your system) and the high tech science of their Ethereal slaves, you are infected with a biological agent at the culmination of the questline. This poison will make it that you will suffer the effects of Shattering (although you will be in a solitary prison and not split into a billion splinters, each one overcome to the madness of an eternity of nothngness. Rest assured, the Ethereals are hard at work trying to fix that little issue!)

2. What the dungeon is? Its your body, baby. Goblin/Gnomish Fantastic Raidage as you shrink down and purge this medical curse from your system.

3. How the fuck can you run an instance in your own body? Whoever is designated the leader at the inside entrance to the dungeon is how the dungeon will look. Class and build determine bosses. The Bodies character will gain the Persona title and will have different powers during the battles depending if they take an Id, Ego, or Super-ego stance (the stances help your party with different buffs to accomodate a whole range of party builds).

Anyway.. ive babbled on enough.

edit:
Wait.. its not like Fantastic Voyage. It feels more like Dreamsape or Inception. That fits much better.

Angry Grimace

People who fail on Venoxis just......

I don't really know how to put it. How can you fail on VENOXIS. It's a 5 man boss.

Rokam

Angry Grimace said:
People who fail on Venoxis just......

I don't really know how to put it. How can you fail on VENOXIS. It's a 5 man boss.

Maybe they're blind, now you feel bad.

Alex

ZG is awesome, I have a good time in there and it's a hell of an improvement upon the old fare. It has a really cool feel as a 5 man as well.

ZA which is largely just the BC content is now pretty antiqued (and I continue to hold my opinion that all dungeons in raids in BC are antiqued and all the nostalgia behind them is pretty much bullshit). It's neat to see it again but I wish it'd have gotten the ZG treatment.

Angry Grimace

Rokam said:
Maybe they're blind, now you feel bad.
The amount of suck in there is so bad I want to just stop playing. It's pointless. My guild all quit so there's not even a guild to play with.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I had an easy time on Zazil with a pally tank and healer from my guild. There was some pugs in the run.

Just did a full guild run with the top tank and healer of the guild, warrior, and it was an epic fail.

Being tired and stupid might have had something to do with it.

Angry Grimace said:
The amount of suck in there is so bad I want to just stop playing. It's pointless. My guild all quit so there's not even a guild to play with.

There's a guild finder now! Our GM put that we are interested in Raiding and Role Playing. We got a solid level 37 hunter so far.

moojito

Most of the fun I'm having in the game right now is defending tol barad on my arms warrior. Massive battle, get slowly overrun, res, run to one of the other bases, short wait, massive battle. Rinse and repeat. Having a pocket healer a lot of the time probably increases the fun of this tenfold, right enough. Sometimes I can go for like 10 minutes with victory rush constantly lit up. Good times!

Ferrio

Banned
So any other prot warriors here? I seem to be having issues with threat since the patch. It's very odd, and there's no mention of it in patch notes. I haven't hit up the official forums, but a guildie did say others were reporting it... but haven't seen anything mentioned in this thread.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ferrio said:
So any other prot warriors here? I seem to be having issues with threat since the patch. It's very odd, and there's no mention of it in patch notes. I haven't hit up the official forums, but a guildie did say others were reporting it... but haven't seen anything mentioned in this thread.
Most of the warrior threat issues I see on the forums are about Fury warriors pulling down too much.

This new info is delicious. Unique pet for the entire guild after completing the legendary? This is the sort of thing that should have been in the game before.

Also, the fire spider is kind of funny to me. Normally you use fire to kill spiders, but nope, not this time because the spider is made of fire. Horrifying.

Defeat his guardians and a memorable battle with the enraged Ragnaros awaits you in his chamber. Ragnaros's normal and Heroic modes offer two completely different encounters for raiders to conquer.

See, this is a cool idea. I mean besides the add legs part and all. And the fact that few will see Heroic Ragnaros before 4.5 (or what have you).

Make Heroic modes something more than just Normal+(More Health)+(More Damage)+(Added Instant Death Ability). If they are going let Heroic modes extend content patches past their expiration, at least do something interesting with them. It isn't going to make me raid again, but kudos anyhow.

But only 7 bosses for 4.2 eh? Unless they speed things up a lot I don't see this working out so well.

Freyjadour said:
See, this is a cool idea. I mean besides the add legs part and all. And the fact that few will see Heroic Ragnaros before 4.5 (or what have you).

Make Heroic modes something more than just Normal+(More Health)+(More Damage)+(Added Instant Death Ability). If they are going let Heroic modes extend content patches past their expiration, at least do something interesting with them. It isn't going to make me raid again, but kudos anyhow.

But only 7 bosses for 4.2 eh? Unless they speed things up a lot I don't see this working out so well.

It's been discussed many times, but this is why Ulduar was great and TotC/ICC not so much. The hard modes in Ulduar were dynamic and usually changed the encounter in a significant (and fun) way. For some reason, after their brilliance there, they decided to take a dump on those design principles and throw in a UI toggle for uninspired bumps in difficulty. If you have something that works great organically, reducing it to function mechanically is not going to be a good idea.

Anyway, I still think that there has to be at least one, if not more, smallish raids paired with Firelands. A 3-4 boss raid and a one-off or a couple of two-offs. Something like that. The new dungeon next to Throne of the Tides is supposed to open up in 4.2 as well.

TheYanger

plans change...I really expect it to ONLY be firelands and for Blizz to REALLY TRY to get another patch out faster afterwards, and fail to do so.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
It's been discussed many times, but this is why Ulduar was great and TotC/ICC not so much. The hard modes in Ulduar were dynamic and usually changed the encounter in a significant (and fun) way. For some reason, after their brilliance there, they decided to take a dump on those design principles and throw in a UI toggle for uninspired bumps in difficulty. If you have something that works great organically, reducing it to function mechanically is not going to be a good idea.

Anyway, I still think that there has to be at least one, if not more, smallish raids paired with Firelands. A 3-4 boss raid and a one-off or a couple of two-offs. Something like that. The new dungeon next to Throne of the Tides is supposed to open up in 4.2 as well.

"The interviewer also asked for a second raid dungeon, Cory ignored that part and only answered the Baradin Hold part - interpret yourself."

Explanation could easily be that he wasn't authorized to release any info about it, but I'd really expect them to try to follow up Firelands quicker than the 4.0 -> 4.2 gap. I don't think they will succeed, but that's just me being pessimistic. The way they talk about the T12 sets and what not, I expect 4.2 to be pretty much only Firelands raid/dungeon wise. 4.3 a new set of 5 mans (Throne of the Tides Dungeon pushed back to here from 4.2). 4.4 a new (hopefully) set of raids.

For what it is worth, I think the 5 Man patches are kind of strange to be honest. That's not to say I think Blizzard should move back to monolithic patches.

What's the deal with people selling game time cards. Are they stolen? Can you get banned if you buy them? A few thousand gold is hella cheap and tempting..

Even tho Blizzard makes a lot of money, I want to support Blizzard. So, if someone is straight up buying them... I don't see anything morally wrong..

burgerdog

CarbonatedFalcon said:

Haha, are you nuts? The way in which you triggered hard modes in Ulduar was trash. Why waste 2-3 mins waiting for the Heart to pop, kill it, and then have XT go back to full hp after the hard mode starts? I guess if you're a fan of wasting time Ulduar's hard mode trigger fail is good.

burgerdog said:
Haha, are you nuts? The way in which you triggered hard modes in Ulduar was trash. Why waste 2-3 mins waiting for the Heart to pop, kill it, and then have XT go back to full hp after the hard mode starts? I guess if you're a fan of wasting time Ulduar's hard mode trigger fail is good.

That's a one-off example that skirts the real point. The idea of a trigger within the fight itself is a good deal more appealing than a simple UI switch to boost health and damage. You are dynamically affecting the boss fight by forcing the boss into a higher state of difficulty. Simple UI switches really break the overall immersion of the game.

Not to mention that it played with the idea of "Are we well-equipped and skilled enough to handle the required DPS for Hard Mode?" as opposed to "Let's wipe on Hard Mode for 4 hours and learn very little because we're trying to do this too early with too little gear".

notworksafe

burgerdog said:
Plenty of HMs in Ulduar were awesome. Freya and Thorim were fun ones. Hodir was a neat one too I thought.

burgerdog said:
I guess if you're a fan of wasting time Ulduar's hard mode trigger fail is good.

I guess if you're a fan of cherry picking? So Hodir's hard mode was wasting your time by having to kill him faster? Mind = blown!

I never done Uludar, but the concept sounds sweet. You should do something in the world and have a different-ish encounter instead of a toggle. Rag sounds good.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
Just seems weird. I understand leaks, but official info days after 4.1?

But, hype fuels me.

They pretty much have to after the heat they're taking from people, the horrible state this patch launched in, and I'm going to assume they didn't see nearly as many reactivations as they hoped.

cuevas said:
T12 preview tomorrow!

I love me some armor previews, I hope the art team stepped up their game.

And yes, Ulduar was great, once again. It was the only bright shining spot of Wrath. Was an incredible experience as everything in there was so well done. Great trash, great lay-out, and great mechanics.

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
They pretty much have to after the heat they're taking from people, the horrible state this patch launched in, and I'm going to assume they didn't see nearly as many reactivations as they hoped.

I love me some armor previews, I hope the art team stepped up their game.

And yes, Ulduar was great, once again. It was the only bright shining spot of Wrath. Was an incredible experience as everything in there was so well done. Great trash, great lay-out, and great mechanics.
Hahaha no.

It's gonna be giant shoulders with flames coming off them in blue, orange and green varieties.

Top Bottom