• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares review thread

benzopil

Hmm, I frankly kinda disagree with this. It's not straight up in-your-face like RE7, and it's not based on jumpscares as that.
It's more akin to a creepy dollhouse (kinda like the broken doll in Toy Story, if I had to make a forced comparison?) rather than Resident Evil 7, but it might be subjective at this point.

Yeah maybe I described it wrong but the overall feeling of helplessness makes me think like this. Of course you don't see gore, chaisaws and other stuff but weak character in creepy place is what it feels like.

Creepy dollhouse is a much better comparison

So glad to hear this. I (irresponsibly) ordered the special edition months ago on Amazon since it was cool and cheap.... I know, I know, but... very happy to hear it's turned out great.

Mdk7

Yeah maybe I described it wrong but the overall feeling of helplessness makes me think like this. Of course you don't see gore, chaisaws and other stuff but weak character in creepy place is what it feels like.

Creepy dollhouse is a much better comparison
Yeah because RE has always been about gore and nasty stuff clearly shown in a cheesy B-movie kinda way, so I think that mentioning RE7 might give people a very wrong idea of what LN actually is.
And also, I used the term "dollhouse" because there is an astonishing diorama feel here - mainly due to the fantastic lighting and the very realistic rendering.
You really look at this game and sort of feel that there's something physically happening behind your TV, as if Six was there. A feeling that only Unravel and Puppeteer previously made me experience (even if the tone here is totally different from those games).

I'll be honest, I expected a solid buy rating from the body of the review, was surprised by the wait for sale rating at the end of the video.

Seems the crux was the puzzles which we didn't really get to see much of.

Still I cannot believe how awesome the art and asthetics are. I'll definitely be picking this up once I get through a few games in my backlog.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to play this. I don't care if it's light on gameplay, some of the best games I've played are considered walking simulators.

I've been waiting like 1 or 2 years for this game, pretty excited! I'm glad it's being well received.

BTW, who's doing the OT?

From the Videogamer review

Oof, so good.

This post is just speculation, but I'll be curious to see if Dusk Golem's theory is proven correct
You can read it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228551969&postcount=57

I love that we have someone on GAF like Dusk that likes horror, his enthusiasm is contagious.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This post is just speculation, but I'll be curious to see if Dusk Golem's theory is proven correct
You can read it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228551969&postcount=57

I'm curious if it holds any water as well. I actually avoided watching recent gameplay and whatnot, so I don't know how much my theory holds water to what's been shown since then, but regardless I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

I saw someone hear mention the game gets better as it goes along and has a great epilogue, which is what I was hoping for with this game so I'm very pleased to hear that.

I love that we have someone on GAF like Dusk that likes horror, his enthusiasm is contagious.

Oh my, thank you kindly.

Dusk Golem

Also for anyone who likes dorky outside material for games, there will be a four-issue mini-comic for the game released as well. The comic provides additional story and lore apparently (it also has dialogue, where to my understanding the game doesn't have a spoken word): https://www.comixology.com/Little-Nightmares/comics-series/91044 (<---Note: This is the digital version, the physical version you can't pre-order on the internet, only local comic shops and such).

First of the four issues releases on the same day as the game. Here's the preview covers/pages:

491246._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
502319._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
514352._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
littlenightmares-01-coverb-989687.jpg
littlenightmares-01-coverd-989691.jpg
littlenightmares-01-covere-989692.jpg
little-nightmares-pg-1-989676.jpg
little-nightmares-pg-2-989677.jpg
little-nightmares-pg-3-989678.jpg
little-nightmares-pg-4-989679.jpg

Those comics looks awesome, coming from somebody who's never read a single comic in their life. Would have been cool if we got a little teaser in the Collector's Edition. :p

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I've never heard of this until now, and it looks amazing!!!! My backlog is so bad already.....2017 is quite the year for awesome games so far!!!

I've never heard of this until now, and it looks amazing!!!! My backlog is so bad already.....2017 is quite the year for awesome games so far!!!
Not usually into tie-ins, but might have to check them out if they're decent

You're missing out on a lot of great stuff, especially if you like sci-fi, horror, and crime thrillers,

Fisty

This was a no-brainer for me, Tarsier made the best LBP campaign and really sold me on their abilities. Preordered a few weeks ago to top up for the buy 100 get 15 back deal, glad to see the game is making a good impression, Tarsier definitely deserves it!

Widge

If memory serves me right, one of the Tarsier guys started out as a LBP1 modded and fan site chief, who has his home on the Eurogamer forum.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
If memory serves me right, one of the Tarsier guys started out as a LBP1 modded and fan site chief, who has his home on the Eurogamer forum.

Hi! I remember your name, too. Haven't been active on EG in a long time.

/back to lurking

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished my first session at the fifth chapter, but decided to leave it there for now, also because I was stuck. Artistically the game is something else, I want to take screenshots all the time. First couple of chapters are okay, but 3 and 4 are great because of the visual themes there.

Gameplay-wise it's not without its issues though. Some of the jump/obstacle timing is very strict, very little room for error. The biggest enemy in the game though is perspective (layered playing field like LBP). There are times when I run against the wall or fall to my death because I misjudged my location. There's one instance in particular where the camera is placed so far back that you basically have to guess how to make the jump. If you nudge the stick a bit too much up or down, you're dead. I remember having those issues in LBP too, and they definitely return here.

Playing on PS4 pro and the game got an 1.01 update with pro features. It runs very smooth and looks great.

Oh also! If you find Japanese statuettes, throw them on the floor. They're collectibles but they only count when they're destroyed.

Another edit: just finished it. Thought I had a few more chapters coming, but that was it. The finale is amazing.

4-5 hours for me, while getting stuck a few times and not rushing through the game.
Perfect length IMO, these games seem to work best when they're lean, rather than trying to stretch their concept and mechanics out for 10 hours. They seem to explore exactly what the creators want to delve into, and cut down on the filler

Considering I played Inside 3 times, I can see myself getting 7-8 hours out of this

Karak

I'll be honest, I expected a solid buy rating from the body of the review, was surprised by the wait for sale rating at the end of the video.

ya like i said in the review, at some point it got really long in the tooth and just felt bare. With almost no difficulty to speak of and really basic puzzles it just didn't keep my attention as much as I felt it should have.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Little Nightmares has its flaws and iffy moments, but when it’s at its best, it creates a tense, nightmarish, action-packed world filled with surreal scenery that contains some classic puzzle design and a host of gleefully creepy characters to chase you all throughout it. It may not break any new ground in the small child/scary world sub-genre, but it still makes for one impressive entry into this world of dark games nonetheless, thanks to The Maw and the unique, twisted visuals it contains. It may be an absolutely horrifying feast that you witness at every turn, but it’s one that’s worth taking a bite out of.

Twinfinite - 3.5/5
If you liked Limbo and Inside, then Little Nightmares is definitely for you. Though its puzzles may not have you stumped for quite as long, its sinister world will consume your attention throughout its five to six-hour duration. Playing cat and mouse with its boss creatures will have you on the edge of your seat as you desperately seek the next spot of refuge under cover.
Had its controls been as tight as necessary for its platforming sections, and its final chapter not been so anticlimactic, Little Nightmares could have been something truly special. Nonetheless, it’s a short, eerie, and sweet experience that will linger in my mind for days to come.

Melchiah

The Videogamer review really increased the hype for me. I can't wait to play this and What Remains of Edith Finch. It's really a perfect time for their release, as I just finished Horizon Zero Dawn, and want to play something different after it. Much like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture were a welcome change of pace after Bloodborne.

I kinda regret pre-ordering the digital version, since the physical one comes with a soundtrack as well. =/

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Melchiah

FYI, pre-orders also come with the soundtrack, just a digital version and not a physical version of it.

Pre-Order content (two in-game masks, which apparently do something small in gameplay I recall hearing? There's another mask you earn from doing the puzzles on the main website. Then the digital soundtrack and some wallpapers):

d3202982094c1bd71f737a9bc4b6d6174672efb1.jpg

Yeah, I pre-ordered the digital version because it included the soundtrack, but I usually prefer to buy horror games in a physical form. Now, that I've learned it also comes with the OST, I regret buying the digital so hastily.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Lnds500

Yeah, I pre-ordered the digital version because it included the soundtrack, but I usually prefer to buy horror games in a physical form. Now, that I've learned it also comes with the OST, I regret buying the digital so hastily.

The digital edition includes the OST.

dragos495

noooooooooooo :(

my collectors edition arrives next friday, at least i hope it does. if its not on my door step on the 28th ill FLIP OUT!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
From the few people in this topic who've played the game, they mention that the beginning of the game (aka what we've seen the most of) is actually probably the 'worst' part of the game, and though no spoilers apparently the game has a pretty good build-up. Curious to see what direction it goes. EDIT: Corrected a bit, I meant climax, the epilogue I've heard back-and-forth things on of some people liking it, some people not big on it.

Like some of the reviews said about the final chapter, and I'm going to spoiler this to be sure:
the fifth chapter is very short and I was surprised by that. When I hit that chapter I thought I had another one coming, but it ends soon after that. There are like 4,25 chapters in reality :p The finale is really cool though.

Even though this isn't even close to Inside in terms of how meticulously crafted the experience is, it is very replayable because of its length. I'm done and I'm already considering doing a replay to find some more collectibles. I wonder if they have any ingame impact like Inside.

Eurogamer's review is the best I've read so far, but by no means would I call this a masterpiece. Inside was without a doubt, this isn't. It's also shorter than Inside, you can (and should) easily finish this in one sitting. Which is a plus for me though, I love games that don't have any padding or fat.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Alright, I'll take a chance on this thing. The free copy of Inside that GOG's offering for buying it didn't hurt, either.

Melchiah

The digital edition includes the OST.

Yeah, that's what I said. ;)

EDIT: Just checked, and the Six edition is twice as expensive, so I don't feel that bad about the decision anymore, since the cheaper regular one doesn't seem to come with covers for the OST. The CD itself is trivial for me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
About collectibles/trophies for those interested. There's chapter select and you can see what you're missing from each chapter. What you need to find are (not really spoiler)
gnomes to hug and statues to break.
I'm only missing
1 gnome
in the second chapter. Already replayed that but it's the only one I can't find. Judging by the concept art it unlocks it's the third and final one in the level, so if anyone reviewing it remembers its location, let me know.

Finding all the
statues
didn't seem to have any ingame consequences afaik.

Trophies: story progress + 2 for collectibles + 3 chapter specific ones that have cryptic descriptions, only have an idea for one. Then there's a 'hardcore' trophy which is probably for completing the game without dying, but I'm not sure. No specific description there as well. There's no platinum trophy btw.

I'm excited to see the game scoring so well; the bits of media/impressions folk have posted in previous threads got me hooked.

Guess the trend of at least one standout cinematic platformer per year is still going strong.

JustPushStart - 8.2/10
Despite being a short game with some fiddly controls, Little Nightmares is still an enjoyable experience. It's by far the creepiest video game I have played in recent memory and the story and premise is intriguing. If you are a fan of Limbo, you should definitely try and play this game. It's also best to play this game for yourself without spoilers. You'll be sure to be more shocked!

Game Rant - 4/5
Ultimately, Little Nightmares strikes a fine chord between charming and creepy in a way that perhaps only a former LittleBigPlanet developer could do. The game knows when a delicate touch is needed in terms of creepiness, and conversely gets the adrenaline going when things go from zero to sixty as a gelatinous humanoid biped suddenly decides Six would make a good lunch. Each chapter has its own compartmentalized style and every challenge brings something new to the table, resulting in a satisfying puzzler with a deep shine of polish. Little Nightmares is a must-have for puzzle fans everywhere, so long as they don't mind imagining long creeping hands coming out of every shadow they see afterwards.

===

Oh, and it comes full circle
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...tle-nightmares-asset-pack-releases-next-week/
Little Nightmares in Little Big Planet
33186576183_57313dd6ba_o.png

Top Bottom