• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Six Month Review of 3D Gaming (PC) and 3D Vision Tips

Decado

Isn't there some kind of .ini where you can manually change the Max Payne resolution without booting the game?

Stallion Free wrote up a pretty good post to get people started with Inspector:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29247305&postcount=163

No, but changing my desktop resolution to 720p worked. Game looks pretty cool in 3D. I may try adding downsampling as it doesn't look quite as sharp as 1080p, even though I increased the AA settings to max.

Also tried Metro 2033 in 3D, albeit briefly. Couldn't really tell any difference except the one light looked a bit off.

The PC needs more high quality (graphics wise) top-down shooters. I bet they'd look great in 3D.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Gatling Gears and Renegade Ops are my two favorite top down shooters so far. They're absolutely spectacular. Always on the look-out for more, cause it's the perfect genre for 3D.

Decado

Yeah. Gatling Gears and Renegade Ops are my two favorite top down shooters so far. They're absolutely spectacular. Always on the look-out for more, cause it's the perfect genre for 3D.

It's too bad I've finished both on the PS3...RO several times. Would love a sequel to RO. Best top down shooter I think I've ever played.

zbarron

Has anyone who uses 3DTV Play gotten the 3D depth hack to work? When I run block.bat before the game starts it doesn't display in 3D on my tv. It tries 3d on a black screen then after failing just shows both views flickering back and forth fast.

1-D_FTW

Is there a fix for the HUD or water in Renegade Ops?

I don't remember the problem with the HUD. What was it? Or was it like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light where there were cursor issues with the mouse, no issues with the controller?

There was no fix for the water, but it was really only that one level that was an issue. It made up a tiny portion of the game. Everything else was terrific.

Arucardo

I don't remember the problem with the HUD. What was it? Or was it like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light where there were cursor issues with the mouse, no issues with the controller?

There was no fix for the water, but it was really only that one level that was an issue. It made up a tiny portion of the game. Everything else was terrific.

The ring with the objective marker is at the wrong depth, was a bit distracting when I tried the game.

vg260

I never got 3DTVPlay to work on my 660 and TV. I got 3D working fine on my previous ATI card, but not this. I have no idea how to fix it. Maybe it was a driver issue. The weird thing was I can get the demo to work from the Nvidia control center, so I know it technically can work, it just never activated in-game. It kinda looked like it did but the separation slider was grayed out at it appeared to be the minimum. 3DTV Play trial expired, so I have no way to test if it's fixed without potential blowing money on the full version.

So no 3D for me on what's supposed to be a great card. I might go back to ATI next card.

Decado

I tried 4X supersampling and 4X MSAA to make Max Payne 3 look a bit crisper, but it killed my framerate. lol

I guess I could try 2X supersampling, but I don't know if that's better than just having 4X MSAA + Very High FXAA.

I notice a few glitches with MP3 in 3D, but overall it is pretty good and worth it. I can't say I'm so enamored with 3D and enough of the games I really like support it that I'd change my TV set so I can get Nvidia active3D.

I wonder how much more performance I can get by OCing my GPU and CPU?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I tried 4X supersampling and 4X MSAA to make Max Payne 3 look a bit crisper, but it killed my framerate. lol

I guess I could try 2X supersampling, but I don't know if that's better than just having 4X MSAA + Very High FXAA.

I notice a few glitches with MP3 in 3D, but overall it is pretty good and worth it. I can't say I'm so enamored with 3D and enough of the games I really like support it that I'd change my TV set so I can get Nvidia active3D.

I wonder how much more performance I can get by OCing my GPU and CPU?

What card have you got?

1-D_FTW

Asus has got a new 24 inch model coming out that does 2D 144hz. Pretty sure it's still locked to 120hz for 3D, but it's their latest and greatest. Doesn't come with the kit, so you'd need to buy the 3D Vision 2 kit separately. Wouldn't surprise me if that becomes the best one out there.

VG248QE

Decado

What card have you got?

Pertinent details:

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mITX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 HDMI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

1-D_FTW

Pertinent details:

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mITX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 HDMI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

You really shouldn't have any problem running anything @720p with that. Although I suppose you could run into issues with too much in Inspector.

Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with 3D on the HMZ-T1 either (arguably the best 720p 3D out there). Call me a snob, but 1080p makes a huge difference with everything. And having to choose between 720p 3D or 1080p 2D wasn't really a choice I liked.

Decado

You really shouldn't have any problem running anything @720p with that. Although I suppose you could run into issues with too much in Inspector.

Honestly, I wasn't very impressed with 3D on the HMZ-T1 either (arguably the best 720p 3D out there). Call me a snob, but 1080p makes a huge difference with everything. And having to choose between 720p 3D or 1080p 2D wasn't really a choice I liked.

Yeah, it's AA settings in MP3 that bring down the frame rate into the low-20's. 4X MSAA and 4X TSSAA. For some reason I thought you set the resolution in supersampling. I don't even know what 4X TSSAA means. lol

What's the HMZ-T1?

jon_dojah

Banned
Ive been holding off on upgrading my 3D setup which is currently 73" DLP. It makes the games im running absolutely beautiful in 720p60fps. Games are Sonic Allstar Racing, Sonic Generations, Just Cause 2, Mirror's Edge. My original plan was to run games in Nvidia 3D Surround but Just Cause 2 is the only game i like that is supported by 3D Surround. Even still i would like to get at least one 3D monitor to run full HD3D but giving up the screen real estate is really hard for me to do at the moment. Such a hard choice but only because im totally satisfied but I still get that the "wonder what its like" feeling for going 3D in 1080p60. I would definitely have to rearrange my living room with something to place a monitor on since my coffee table is too low to the ground.

Anyone feel like the switch would be a substantially better experience? Also ive read alot of bad reviews and horror stories with the Asus 27" monitors. Are the any others that do a good job for the money?

Napophis

I have a samsung sa700 monitor, but have an nvidia gfx card. I read somewhere you can use a different monitor driver to get the 3d to work with nvidia but cant remember where that was.

Edit: fuck you guys, now i want a new monitor! Maybe i can pawn this one off onto my wife without her bitching too much ;)

1-D_FTW

Yeah, it's AA settings in MP3 that bring down the frame rate into the low-20's. 4X MSAA and 4X TSSAA. For some reason I thought you set the resolution in supersampling. I don't even know what 4X TSSAA means. lol

What's the HMZ-T1?

Just Sony's head mount display.

I have a samsung sa700 monitor, but have an nvidia gfx card. I read somewhere you can use a different monitor driver to get the 3d to work with nvidia but cant remember where that was.

Edit: fuck you guys, now i want a new monitor! Maybe i can pawn this one off onto my wife without her bitching too much ;)

Think it's in one of the OP links. Tridef is what you'd wanna try.

Wut? 720p looks great on a 73" screen? 0_0

Yeah. That's big enough that the size starts to be worth the tradeoff of resolution. Of course, maybe next decade we'll get big and 1080p. Keep hope alive.

catabarez

Just Sony's head mount display.

Think it's in one of the OP links. Tridef is what you'd wanna try.

Yeah. That's big enough that the size starts to be worth the tradeoff of resolution. Of course, maybe next decade we'll get big and 1080p. Keep hope alive.

I was gonna get a passive TV soon, but I am gonna wait until I can get nice 1080p 60fps 3D.

A TV like that would especially make sense since HFR Hobbit 3D will probably come out.

Pyrogeek

Just ordered an Acer GD235HZbid Widescreen 23.6" 3D LCD Display and Nvidia 3D Vision 2 kit. Monitor arrives tomorrow and the 3d kit on Wednesday, so look forward to sinking my teeth into some 3d gaming!

En-ou

cant go back to flat gaming. have had my 3d monitor for about 2 months now and it is just jaw dropping to see full depth in the games. dark souls is just fucking impressive in 3d! sen's fortress, blighttown, ash lake etc are sights to behold!

and my god...trine 2...everyone needs to see this shit in 3d...

Decado

Finished Max Payne 3 last night. Awesome shooter and the 3D was pretty cool...exceptionally so in some areas.

Need to play around with a few more 3D games before my Nvidia trial expires and I decide what to do.

I think occulus rift will mean that more games will have good, prebaked 3D support which will transfer over great for 3D monitors.

That's my hope. I'm excited for the oculus rift but I think there are a ton of games that won't work very well with it. I have the Asus 27inch and have found that (with some adjusting) the ghosting is basically non-existent, so that's not really a concern for me anymore.

I hope the two styles of 3D can live in harmony.

Arucardo

That's my hope. I'm excited for the oculus rift but I think there are a ton of games that won't work very well with it. I have the Asus 27inch and have found that (with some adjusting) the ghosting is basically non-existent, so that's not really a concern for me anymore.

I hope the two styles of 3D can live in harmony.

What kind of settings are you running it with and do you have the 144hz model or the 120hz one with the built in IR transmitter (which I have)?

Pyrogeek

Amazon is saying my Asus 23 inch monitor and my NVidia Vision 2 kit should both be delivered today.

Just Cause 2 is already loaded on Steam and waiting for me and I still have a Far Cry 3 playthrough to finish.

Reports are showing it doesn't work with Eve Online or Arma 2, two other games I planned on getting more time in lately.

What kind of settings are you running it with and do you have the 144hz model or the 120hz one with the built in IR transmitter (which I have)?

I have the 120hz one, I followed Bloodys settings.

So I "reduced the Contrast level from the default setting of 76 to 55 in order to reduce the level of ghosting/crosstalk in stereo 3D mode without sacrificing too much of the brightness".

I play 3D games in the dark too and because of light boost I am able to see the illuminated keys on my keyboard (something I couldn't do without lightboost (or with a headmounted display)).

All in all i'm extremely happy with my current set-up and have no plans to play with a head mounted display for some time.

gatisimo

What TV do you have?

Sony 60LX900 and a Samsung UN55C7000.

The games that really got me into 3D on the TV were Renegade Ops and Trine 2. Even Diablo 3 looked great, but comfy couch mode was less comfy without a controller. On my monitor, it's pretty much everything else.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Amazon is saying my Asus 23 inch monitor and my NVidia Vision 2 kit should both be delivered today.

Just Cause 2 is already loaded on Steam and waiting for me and I still have a Far Cry 3 playthrough to finish.

Reports are showing it doesn't work with Eve Online or Arma 2, two other games I planned on getting more time in lately.

3D in Far Cry 3 really isn't great, and the game is super demanding on a PC.

Just a heads up.

I decided to just stick with 2D and high-medium settings and let the frame rate sit between 70's and 90's.

Arucardo

I have the 120hz one, I followed Bloodys settings.

So I "reduced the Contrast level from the default setting of 76 to 55 in order to reduce the level of ghosting/crosstalk in stereo 3D mode without sacrificing too much of the brightness".

I play 3D games in the dark too and because of light boost I am able to see the illuminated keys on my keyboard (something I couldn't do without lightboost (or with a headmounted display)).

All in all i'm extremely happy with my current set-up and have no plans to play with a head mounted display for some time.

Strange, I keep reading about people saying the ghosting is almost non-existent on the VG278H but that's not really the case, not on mine anyway. It gets a bit better when the monitor "warms up" but it's still very much noticeable to me at least.

1-D_FTW

Strange, I keep reading about people saying the ghosting is almost non-existent on the VG278H but that's not really the case, not on mine anyway. It gets a bit better when the monitor "warms up" but it's still very much noticeable to me at least.

I'm assuming you're talking 3D. I don't think I've ever seen a review that said it was ghost free, just that it has the best ghosting of any flat panel out there (including the inferior LCD and plasma HDTVs).

DLP is another story, but none of them can do 1080p 3D @60fps, so it's pick your poison.

I think some panels are genuinely different too, i've heard people complain about back lighting issues and top or bottom screen ghosting being more severe for their respective screens compared to others.

Decado

Do Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2 look great in 3D and look good on the PC in general?

The combo pack is on sale at Gamefly for $8 (though they're origin). Thinking about selling my PS3 versions and going with this one...it may motivate me to finally finish the first!

K' Dash

Do Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2 look great in 3D and look good on the PC in general?

The combo pack is on sale at Gamefly for $8 (though they're origin). Thinking about selling my PS3 versions and going with this one...it may motivate me to finally finish the first!

Im playing Dead Space 2 right now and it looks amazing in 3D.

1-D_FTW

Im playing Dead Space 2 right now and it looks amazing in 3D.

Yup. Just make sure to download the fixes from Helix.

Does Nvidia's 3D vision play well with non-Nvidia glasses? Or at all?

I don't understand. Do you mean you have the transmitter, but want others to watch too?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't understand. Do you mean you have the transmitter, but want others to watch too?
I'm thinking about getting an Nvidia card and running 3D Vision on an Optoma GT750E. Otherwise I'll just stick with AMD and whatever they cobbled together for 3D. I already have DLP glasses that work with the projector.

ChrisG683

I would sacrifice so many virgins to get Dota 2 working in 3D properly :(

I played DotA allll the time in 3D and I absolutely loved how cool all of the spells looked.

Dota 2 special effects already look pretty cool in 3D, but the messed up shadows, specular, and HUD make it too frustrating to play with. Sadly Valve has never been a big supporter of 3D in their games, which saddens me :(

1-D_FTW

I'm thinking about getting an Nvidia card and running 3D Vision on an Optoma GT750E. Otherwise I'll just stick with AMD and whatever they cobbled together for 3D. I already have DLP glasses that work with the projector.

I'm not certain, but it almost appears as though it's 3D Play compatible (using HDMI). It would require you to buy the software for 39.99, but it should then work with your glasses.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

Unless the Gt750 is different than the GT750E.

Top Bottom