• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

ggs Grayfox! That was the first time i've played a proper set against Kuma, so thank you.

Also i think i've improved a little so i feel good~

Cross-posting myself from the other thread because I'm just looking for more people talk to about Tekken:

Finally got my Ling back up to fighter. Up in the upper green ranks, I see nothing but characters I struggle against, like Josie and her seemingly endless poke strings for counter bait, or King, with his pokes to get you to duck to hit you with his jumping knee for his staple combo, Jin with his mixups, and of course Steve and Hwoarang who can both kick rocks.

Where are the Jacks, Lucky Chloes, Akumas, Elizas, Lings, Kumas/Pandas, Laws, Alisas, Kazuyas up in those ranks that I can feast on? I don't even see no friggin Heihachis, and Shaheen, Master Raven, Bob, Lars, Leo, etc appear so rarely that I don't even know how to fight them.

GrayFoxPL

Cross-posting myself from the other thread because I'm just looking for more people talk to about Tekken:

They will show up once players get comfortable with them. I fought quite few Lucky Chloes but they are stuck in grand master-brawler for now. Online is still Law and King wars on initial steps but if you play and rank different characters you'll tend to meet more varied opponents. I got 5 dudes in fighter and doing that let me fight way more characters.

Also day and hour you play on may be crucial. Early, late hours, weekends, mid week,etc. I'll never fight dudes who only play in the evening and they'll never fight me.

We have a Tekken Lore Thread too. Make a contribution and I will certainly post my ideas and thoughts.

Was playing online today and something happen I thought would never happen. I saw a customization so nice it won me over on the feature. I've been hating on customizations for a long time since Tekken 6 debut. It was a blue Jin with a blu head head tie and on top of that the player was really classy. PSN name: The Miner.

I think if players would complement each other for good customization we wouldn't get so much troll shit which I consider GRAFFITI in the game.

The feature finally has some value for me, as well as the classic costumes built in... Credit to Boutdown he's a genius he made that suggestion in response to all my complaining a while back. The powers that be took notice. Thanks Professor MarkMan and Dr. Murray.
michael.jpg

They will show up once players get comfortable with them. I fought quite few Lucky Chloes but they are stuck in grand master-brawler for now. Online is still Law and King wars on initial steps but if you play and rank different characters you'll tend to meet more varied opponents. I got 5 dudes in fighter and doing that let me fight way more characters.

Also day and hour you play on may be crucial. Early, late hours, weekends, mid week,etc. I'll never fight dudes who only play in the evening and they'll never fight me.

I play three characters right now (my Kaz is terrible because I use a PS4 controller and I can't do any of his CD moves without an obvious mist step sell, and God help me if I end up on the right side of the screen facing left) and it is true that I see *way* more people/variety in the Grand Master/Brawler level than I do Maurader/Fighter.

My Kaz is trash, but my Asuka is starting to peak. A few more wins and she'll be "topped out," and I'll have to pick up another character (probably Law).

GrayFoxPL

I play three characters right now (my Kaz is terrible because I use a PS4 controller and I can't do any of his CD moves without an obvious mist step sell, and God help me if I end up on the right side of the screen facing left) and it is true that I see *way* more people/variety in the Grand Master/Brawler level than I do Maurader/Fighter.

My Kaz is trash, but my Asuka is starting to peak. A few more wins and she'll be "topped out," and I'll have to pick up another character (probably Law).

I'm the other way around. I played so many years on p2 that my mishimas on p1 are dysfunctional.

Look on the bright side, mist step can be still very good since they can't distinguish it from sidestep and you can fire up god fist or hell sweep when they think you're sidestepping.

My crouch dash moves are also often telegraphed, sometimes on purpose because I want opponent to have time to think(and confuse themselves) what's going to come out and not react by instinct and reflex. To get quick electrics I need to be in optimal condition, not tired but warmed up, not sick, ect. On other character I can jump in anytime, not mishimas.

Went out to a Tekken tourney today, Tattakai Holland. I liked it, i want to go to more.

Lots of waiting and it ran hugely late, so that sucked. Had to leave early so i could catch the last train home. =/

Fairly pleased with my performance. 4th in my pool, beat up some folks but got double jeopardy'd by Hassaldo. 3-2 overall. It's 'fine' for a first tourney i suppose.

Then hopped into the consolation bracket which was best of one and got rolled by some Feng. 2-2 overall.

Played lots of casuals too of course. And got hyped for the big name matches. Fun.

After playing for 12 hours straight with Kazuya, Asuka, and Ling, I've figured out why I struggle with Ling even though I spend 80% of my time playing her.

-She's one of the few characters in the game who does not have a reliable "invisible" sweep. SS+3 requires a ton of setup, and most players are expecting it when it comes out anyway.

-Her punishment game SUCKS. All she realistically has that will make ppl fear her is f+1+2, and its range is pathetic compared to Asuka's and not nearly as fast as Kaz's 1+2 or wr+1,2.

-Weak launchers (part of punishment). Range and speed. She has to rely on CHs, and even then, Ling does not have strings that go into launchers. Every launch attempt has to be deliberate.

I came to this realization after losing seven straight matches with Ling and declining from Fighter to Grand Master. Meanwhile, my Asuka and Kaz, I got them up from Kyus to Brawlers in no time. And I never lose more than 2 matches in a row with them.

Edit: My Kaz is still trash, but I have a batter w/l ratio with him than Ling.

joeblow

^^^ That observation was wrong when you posted it a month ago, and it's still wrong now. Xiaoyu is very complex, so it's fine to say you haven't yet got a grip on how she plays. Just don't blame the character when it's not working out.

GrayFoxPL

Went out to a Tekken tourney today, Tattakai Holland. I liked it, i want to go to more.

Lots of waiting and it ran hugely late, so that sucked. Had to leave early so i could catch the last train home. =/

Fairly pleased with my performance. 4th in my pool, beat up some folks but got double jeopardy'd by Hassaldo. 3-2 overall. It's 'fine' for a first tourney i suppose.

Then hopped into the consolation bracket which was best of one and got rolled by some Feng. 2-2 overall.

Played lots of casuals too of course. And got hyped for the big name matches. Fun.

Hey, congrats, that's a nice score!

^^^ That observation was wrong when you posted it a month ago, and it's still wrong now. Xiaoyu is very complex, so it's fine to say you haven't yet got a grip on how she plays. Just don't blame the character when it's not working out.

Yeah, Xiaoyu is terrifying in this game. One of the best characters when somebody knows what he's doing. Her mixups are incredibly hard to block and punish online making her a beast at pressuring. She forces Mishimas to fight virtually without using an electric. Now that's a handicap.

ZeroX03

Banned
After playing for 12 hours straight with Kazuya, Asuka, and Ling, I've figured out why I struggle with Ling even though I spend 80% of my time playing her.

-She's one of the few characters in the game who does not have a reliable "invisible" sweep. SS+3 requires a ton of setup, and most players are expecting it when it comes out anyway.

-Her punishment game SUCKS. All she realistically has that will make ppl fear her is f+1+2, and its range is pathetic compared to Asuka's and not nearly as fast as Kaz's 1+2 or wr+1,2.

-Weak launchers (part of punishment). Range and speed. She has to rely on CHs, and even then, Ling does not have strings that go into launchers. Every launch attempt has to be deliberate.

I came to this realization after losing seven straight matches with Ling and declining from Fighter to Grand Master. Meanwhile, my Asuka and Kaz, I got them up from Kyus to Brawlers in no time. And I never lose more than 2 matches in a row with them.

I honestly cannot believe you're still complaining about Ling. She's easily one of the best characters in the game. She's complex, she takes effort and time. Put work into her.

sasuke_91

Ling is good. Really good. I do know where you're coming from when you say that your other characters don't need as much effort to get to a decent level with, but your other points are just wrong, as others have pointed out. Stop spreading wrong information.

Anyone playing on psn? I'm up for a few games: erraticpixels

Where do you live?

karasu

Ling is good. Really good. I do know where you're coming from when you say that your other characters don't need as much effort to get to a decent level with, but your other points are just wrong, as others have pointed out. Stop spreading wrong information.

Where do you live?
US. Virginia.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Hey, congrats, that's a nice score!

Yeah, Xiaoyu is terrifying in this game. One of the best characters when somebody knows what he's doing. Her mixups are incredibly hard to block and punish online making her a beast at pressuring. She forces Mishimas to fight virtually without using an electric. Now that's a handicap.

Lings AOP 3~4 is probably the best sweep in the game, God I hate that move so much.

ZeroX03

Banned

There's been more complaining in between that as well.

If Phoenix Rising spent less time complaining about Ling into actually being a half decent player, they'd be winning right now.

Kuma got nerfed from weak to awful. There's some real character issues.

I didn't even see that post! If I had, I would have dropped XMTS altogether. It's what I have been using to close the gap believing it to be safe (frame adv.) on block, and it tracks; I have been puzzled as to why everyone has been so eager to attack right after.

;_; I am sad. That was my bread and butter.

Also, baiting CHs is not her game. WS+2 and SS+4 are mainly used for CHs, but they are telegraphed because she needs to crouch or sidestep to use them. d/b+4 CH and RDS 1 CH are nice, but you can't build a whole game around them. Xiaoyu's game is to create whiffs to punish and to force stance mixups.

There is nothing more painful than when the opponent retreats to the other end of the screen and I have to figure out a way how to chase and hit them without eating a Rage Art.

I'm more informed of the punishment because dude on Tekken Z published this on July 4. I just saw it last night:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14BuxgBj7J1RCaue-7J3ZU0tO2RUW5l3pwmwIuSh9wJo/edit

I had been using f+1+2 generously, but stopped when it wouldn't connect after blocking a string, or whiffing if that string knocked me back out of its range, like Asuka's 1+2. ws+4 is great.

My Ling continues to be a stepping-stone for folks trying to go from blue to green. If you get a promotion from beating a Ling north of 250 wins who wears a default costume, you're welcome.

(Kaz's twin pistons [ws 1,2] is -11...that's the fastest ws launch that I know)

I need to learn how to low parry, I just got beat by an Asuka who spammed d/b+4s and I couldn't figure out what to do to knock her out of it.

joeblow

^^^ OK, at least you are anticipating a Rage Art, which is a good step towards baiting it out and punishing it for free. Since that's been tough for you, check out this video of Ling vs. Rage Arts for ideas of how to better deal with them.

He was good for Kuma. He was by no means broken. He didn't need to lose his best tools.

He was the best console character by a wide margin & is still good. You just can't abuse fff1+2 & HNT df12 anymore.

Wait, what happened to Kuma?

He was nerfed in the 1.03 Update.

Fff+1+2 used to be +5 on block & Kuma got free uninteruptable Hunter mix up with an uncrushable Hunter 1, uninteruptable d 1+2, & d/f+12 which was safe & hit confirmable. It was really strong.

They made it only +2 now which means Hunter 1 can now be crushed & trades with d1s, d+1+2 now loses to 13 frame mids & trades with 14s, df12 is no longer hit confirmable, & is easily interupted.

They also made it so Kuma's Hunter Stand doesn't auto parry lows.

^^^ OK, at least you are anticipating a Rage Art, which is a good step towards baiting it out and punishing it for free. Since that's been tough for you, check out this video of Ling vs. Rage Arts for ideas of how to better deal with them.

I've seen the video. Tried doing this against Katarina this morning and missed the timing on the butterfly and ate it anyway.

You have to already be doing d+1 or be in AOP for this evasion to work, or can you be standing and buffer AoP as the RA wind-up animation begins? Fought a Korean Bob today and blocked his and I disliked the pushback.

I need to work on my approach. Watch this:

https://youtu.be/9QfLKdhIZC8?t=1m57s

^Heihachi struggling to close the fight. That is me. He gets a knockdown and Ling quick rolls into a Rage Art as he's attempting oki. That's what I mean by when I end up eating RAs. So instead, I end up doing this stupid "dance" until the other person does like a Bob or Law slide/combo setup or a time up.

https://youtu.be/9QfLKdhIZC8?t=5m24s

^I want to learn how to evade like this. See how she closes the round? Normally against that wall, the person I'm fighting against just jabs, jabs, jabs and I don't know how to get out. This Hei doesn't and I'm trying to figure out what that sequence of side steps and RDS this Ling does to do seemingly a full circle around Hei to get behind him.

https://youtu.be/9QfLKdhIZC8?t=7m1s

^Dude low parries her RAGE DRIVE LIKE WTF!

joeblow

You don't need to time the AoP d evasion. Once they activate the RA and the screen pauses, hold down and it will evade Katarina (or any other character on the list) as soon as it un-pauses so you can launch her.

But as you say, you need to be setting up one of those dodges in anticipation of the RA. So if you think they will do it, just run up and hit D+1 or drop into AoP to bait it out. If you guessed wrong, you should still be safe with options.

To your other question, the video shows you can remain standing and wait to react after the RA activates against Lucky Chloe (jump over the low and Mistrust launch her) or against Steve/Jin/Alisa (drop into AoP and hit d+1+2 to launch).

You don't need to time the AoP d evasion. Once they activate the RA and the screen pauses, hold down and it will evade Katarina (or any other character on the list) as soon as it un-pauses so you can launch her.

But as you say, you need to be setting up one of those dodges in anticipation of the RA. So if you think they will do it, just run up and hit D+1 or drop into AoP to bait it out. If you guessed wrong, you should still be safe with options.

To your other question, the video shows you can remain standing and wait to react after the RA activates against Lucky Chloe (jump over the low and Mistrust launch her) or against Steve/Jin/Alisa (drop into AoP and hit d+1+2 to launch).

Did not notice that with Steve/Jin.

Against Lucky Chloe, I just block and ws+(2). Against Alisa, I sometimes mess up the timing and duck under it but do something to stand up before the chainsaw is done, and the RA still counts (embarrassing). I don't play against many Jins and Steves because I have a lot more problems against them besides RAs.

Someone got to Marauder with Nina by doing d+3,2 and d+3,4,3,4 (or smth, that new string) I couldn't believe it was all he tried on me.

kLKtCns.gif

I faced a Brawler Katirina who did the same. Her little jumping double kick followed by five kicks in a row, her leg sweep for a juggle, and her leg sweep to punch string.

It worked. ;_;

GrayFoxPL

I faced a Brawler Katirina who did the same. Her little jumping double kick followed by five kicks in a row, her leg sweep for a juggle, and her leg sweep to punch string.

It worked. ;_;

Her uf+4,4 launcher can be interrupted every time before she starts the later kick series.

Btw I need to practice ducking her 4,4,4,4,4. This is safe for her but 3rd and 4th kicks are highs.

Don't thing she has sweep to punch anything.

If someone cheeses, you must outcheese him, hellsweep him 4 times in a row if you have to. Just turn cheesecake off while facing good players.

Her uf+4,4 launcher can be interrupted every time before she starts the later kick series.

Yeah, you can just do a 13f move after the first two kicks and it'll punish if she only did the first two, and interrupt if she did the rest. It's not a mixup.

Btw I need to practice ducking her 4,4,4,4,4. This is safe for her but 3rd and 4th kicks are highs.

Forget about it. Good players will only do the first three kicks, and the second to the third hit jails so you can't duck.

GrayFoxPL

Forget about it. Good players will only do the first three kicks, and the second to the third hit jails so you can't duck.

Oh shit that's whack, thanks for the info. I'll check if sidestepping/sidewalking works.

Wait does that mean Numb isn't good?

;)

j/k

Numb you gonna start playing eventually? I never see you.

Don't thing she has sweep to punch anything.

If someone cheeses, you must outcheese him, hellsweep him 4 times in a row if you have to. Just turn cheesecake off while facing good players.

In desperation, I figured out I can b+4,4 her after her uf+4,4.

She stopped.

Also started blocking her sweeping combo starter.

Now that I can do these two things, I look forward to playing against all Katarinas. (I still eat her sweep to punch, but oh well).

Progress tho.

ggh9nem.jpg

I still don't use d/f+1 poke. I can't figure out a way that it fits naturally into my playstyle.

joeblow

Her d/f+1 is perhaps the best high crushing mid poke in the game. It evades jabs and throw attempts faster than almost anything. In matchups against other characters, it is the anti-Steve as it avoids a lot of his setups, especially when he is baiting for CHs with a b+1 counter.

Force yourself to use it.

Her d/f+1 is perhaps the best high crushing mid poke in the game. It evades jabs and throw attempts faster than almost anything. In matchups against other characters, it is the anti-Steve as it avoids a lot of his setups, especially when he is baiting for CHs with a b+1 counter.

Force yourself to use it.

I'll try. It's going to be painful. It's counter-intuitive to my playstyle, lol.

broz0rs

I purchased Tekken 7 last week and started playing it a few days ago. Tekken 3 was the last game I've played. My college dormmates and I used to have intense matches over it. My main is Nina and I just love her character design. I was pretty surprised that I was able to perform my old combos effortlessly in this version. This was literally two decades ago and I haven't touched a Tekken game since. I hardly notice a timing difference and it just felt like old times. I think I'll currently grind Treasure mode and try out versus mode once I get the hang of the other characters.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yeah, you can just do a 13f move after the first two kicks and it'll punish if she only did the first two, and interrupt if she did the rest. It's not a mixup.

Can you sidestep between the first and second kicks?

GrayFoxPL

GGs Squirrel. I don't get why I couldn't punish Josie's 1,2,2. Either frame data changed or I attacked way too late, didn't feel like it tho. Strange.

That guy was good but the lag was too much. I fought him on 3 bars that fell into 2. I can't do shit like this, lol.

Manhands tho

Grew from countering shit since T5.

GGs Squirrel. I don't get why I couldn't punish Josie's 1,2,2. Either frame data changed or I attacked way too late, didn't feel like it tho. Strange.

That guy was good but the lag was too much. I fought him on 3 bars that fell into 2. I can't do shit like this, lol.

Yea, i played a few with him after and then called it a day. Fuck italian wireless, bleh. That guy was so obviously used to it too with his lag-strategies, eugh.

GrayFoxPL

Yea, i played a few with him after and then called it a day. Fuck italian wireless, bleh. That guy was so obviously used to it too with his lag-strategies, eugh.

Exactly. Didn't want to say it out loud.

I don't think I ever had a good connections with Italy. Always good to great connections with Scandinavia. South of Europe - oh boy, I'd rather not say.

fM2EvpB.gif

Top Bottom