• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

V_Ben

Banned
So, who is going to end up with Relic? Who'll buy the rights to Saint's Row?

These are the big questions!!!

Warner Brothers is my hope, I could see them picking up Volition, along with inSane and Saint's Row. Get a game by Del Toro, and a big open world series, with an acclaimed third instalment. Also Red Faction. I could also see them grabbing Relic and Patrice's studio... Vigil I could see getting picked up by them too, but I don't know if WB wants to effectively pull a Midway again.

They would have them turn every IP into a F2P mmo. Seriously. China is just as crazy about MMOs as SK.

Sad but probable.
I can only see a complete buyout being by a outside the industry group, existing publishers will just wait and pick at the body.

Also, I'll go fucking nuts if whoever picks up the WWE licence uses Yukes.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God. So it's getting worse for one of the big publishers. Damn.

I bet Patrice is regretting having joined THQ right now. I hope that everyone lands on their feet, or that at least a publisher buys them out for the good of all the devs.

shaowebb

It was just a matter of time unfortunately.

This really. All the signs were there and its no shock at this point. Hopefully Someone like Capcom who is trying to acquire studios grabs them up and tries to make something out of their ideas and talent pool. It'd help these guys a lot to benefit from the combat coders Capcom has in some of their games.

Still at this point its not a matter of who would be the best fit for them, but simply who will try buying them. Hopefully the people in their company get bought up and saved from becoming unemployed.
Nintendo should buy Volition at this point. No joking.

That...thats actually a pretty good idea. I know Saints Row and Red Faction don't exactly scream Nintendo, but these are styles of games that Nintendo hasn't really got a lot of experience tackling. Crudity aside filling the gaps in their game library with titles based around these sort of open world/ physics based environments would really be nice on the Wii U to show something new. Hate to see Saints Row go away though. Be nice if they did get bought and they kept producing them.

Kifimbo

Oh God. So it's getting worse for one of the big publishers. Damn.

I bet Patrice is regretting having joined THQ right now. I hope that everyone lands on their feet, or that at least a publisher buys them out for the good of all the devs.

He'll still get a job almost wherever he wants. And his game was still in pre-production/planning stage anyway.

I could see Square Enix buying THQ Montreal to merge it with Square Enix Montreal, their new studio.

The more I think about this, the more I don't like it. I quite liked a lot of THQ's efforts in 2011 (Saints Row, Space Marine, deBlob 2). However, at least WWE games might now be on the road to get fixed... maybe.

I wonder what happens with the Saints Row 3 season pass?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bummer... they were never the best, but they put out some seriously good games over the last few years.

Just get UFC Undisputed 3 out of the door and I can be satisfied for a while...

I guess this means that a new developer might get the WWE license. Metro: Last Light will come out, one way or another... even if only PC.

Serious bummer.

Devil's Third director, can't remember the name; was actually happy that he wasn't working for Japanese managers any more... and now THQ is going to be sold to a Japanese publishers...

THQ, although wasn't financially stable, has some very solid IPs and one of the best PC devs; I wonder how things will pan out.

Saige

I must do better.
It was inevitable but it still sucks to see happen. I hope Relic gets to keep making great games wherever they end up.

kassatsu

Banned
Can double fine self publish on xbla? Otherwise costume quest and stacking will be gone. I wonder if they have to get re-rated by esrb for change of publisher.

Derrick01

Banned
I hope the South Park game is ok, they were publishing it I believe.

Other than that this doesn't bother me. Saints Row 3 was crap and they make a lot of mediocre games.

Acosta

Damn, that's sad but expected.

If shit happens, I hope the studios find a good home, especially Relic. That's assuming nobody will want the whole company.

1-D_FTW

I'd honestly be fine if Nintendo bought the carcass of THQ. Would have to wonder how much outstanding debt they have though.

Problem with this scenario: Nintendo already has a treasure trove of great IPs they ignore because they don't find the M.O. anymore.

By M.O., I'm talking 10 million sellers like Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party, SSB, Wii Sports, Animal Crossing, etc. Going after hardcore titles with limited sales potential is not something that really interests Nintendo anymore (unless it's the RPGs for the Japanese home market, which these titles are most certainly not).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hope the South Park game is ok, they were publishing it I believe.

Other than that this doesn't bother me. Saints Row 3 was crap and they make a lot of mediocre games.

That one they're just distributing. Viacom is funding it.

Nevermind, I think they're publishing it.

saelz8

*Cue Darth Vader music*

EA.

And shove all their shit onto origin exclusively, so we can join MP games of Company of Heroes: Modern Warfare through our browsers.

I don't trust any of the big publishers with Relic.

Either they self-distribute, or they join up with Valve (Get bought?).

I have a a bad feeling Relic is going to get fucked over.

Top Bottom