• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo patent application - Nintendo NX related?

I don't think Nintendo is ever going to go back to single screen handheld. There's just too many applications for that kind of setup.

I'd be surprised if they did. They are the only (?) company working with dual screens, and it's a strong differentiator, as well as offering lots of flexibility for their developers.

I suspect they will be dropping the different-sized screens and 3D for their next handheld system though, as aside from the added cost it hobbled quite a number of the unique applications the DS family had, and it limits things like automatic screen rotation which is so commonplace on devices like phones and tablets now that I can't see them doing without it.

Rodin

Such a simple idea yet it already sounds like it could improve the control our options in a mayor way...not bad, not bad at all.

After Mario Maker it would be nuts if NX doesnt have a more compact WiiU Gamepad Type Controller with 4inch screen. Especially if the portable is DualScreen as well.

Exactly, and i'd even say after Splatoon. I can't imagine that game without a second screen tbh.

After all the gamepad did have an advantage over classic controllers, but it had two big problems (ergonomy and battery life) that made it worse for certain games. But having a smaller screen and a shape more similar to a classic controller would mean getting the best of both worlds, and if a game doesn't need the screen devs can just turn it off to save battery life.

One thing I spotted, it mentions breifly that their handheld example includes an 'external terminal'!

I don't think Nintendo is ever going to go back to single screen handheld. There's just too many applications for that kind of setup.

The vast, vast majority of Wii U games play fine on a single screen handheld alone.

Servbot24

Banned
A scrolling button could be interesting, but it needs to be clickable, and they need to keep all the standard buttons as well.

Servbot24

Banned
The vast majority of videogames overall also play fine with a d-pad. But an analog stick makes it better.

Including analog + d-pad options on a controller is very cheap on the manufacturing side. A screen is not. It's not worth the financial investment, given the minor benefits it offers.

The patent actually gves an example of steering a car using both at once, lol

I'd like it if you could tilt them sideways like some mousewheels but that might be getting overcomplicated.

I'm trying to picture what use these shoulder buttons could be used for. What possible ideas that can come out of this.

Using a scroll wheel made massive arsenals manageable in PC fps games, rather than the two gun setup geared toward consoles. Inventory management is a huge plus here.

You could also use them to toggle the level of zoom on a camera or sniper rifle, or scroll through menus or blocks of text.

They're an easy addition to bumpers that open up new possibilities without sacrificing anything.

If this is the NX Handheld, I guess Nintendo is doing away with all dual screens.
Wii U gamepad can simulate dual screens anyway, so I figured they would just make one screen to make it cheaper. Main thing it seems they are ditching 3D.

What I hope for is the handheld can also work as a controller for the main system.

If this is the NX Handheld, I guess Nintendo is doing away with all dual screens.

So far the main use for the dual screen in the handhelds have as maps or inventory displays. The rotatory shoulders take care of the inventory part, making the second screen less relevant.

In my opinion I believe this has little to do with the NX dedicated home or handheld console. I feel like it's meant to accommodate mobile gaming. How and in what capacity I'm not too sure of though.

I don't believe Nintendo would sacrifice the ZL/ZR-style layout for their currently-being-developed dedicated gaming system(s).

Dat speculation tho.

In my opinion I believe this has little to do with the NX dedicated home or handheld console. I feel like it's meant to accommodate mobile gaming. How and in what capacity I'm not too sure of though.

I don't believe Nintendo would sacrifice the ZL/ZR-style layout for their currently-being-developed dedicated gaming system(s).

Dat speculation tho.

This does not invalidate the Z buttons though

TheMoon

Including analog + d-pad options on a controller is very cheap on the manufacturing side. A screen is not. It's not worth the financial investment, given the minor benefits it offers.

= making things possible like Mario Maker? Wouldn't call that minor.

Don't think too much about the drawing there. It means nothing. This is all about the button functions, they use generic interface designs for these patent illustrations.

Somnid

Nobody patented this yet? I've had the idea since at least the GCN era and I've heard it come up a few times on GAF.

Clefargle

That doesn't change the fact that it's weird there's only two face buttons, whether it's the final product or not.

Do you understand how parents work? The number of face buttons is not part of the claim, therefore, it isn't going to be represented in the illustration. The illustration is just there for ease of understanding, not for a complete breakdown of the system. It's only for the claims in the patent.

sinxtanx

Dat speculation tho.

lol what

this is 100% compatible with the current style of shoulder layout
just put the scrollies in place of the bumpers and done

Patent mentions that it could be configured as either a scroll wheel that scrolls infinitely, like a mouse, or one that just scrolls 180deg. I think that's just Nintendo leaving some room for experimentation in, but I actually would prefer an 180deg scroller with a spring, so you can just "hold down" the scroller in a direction instead of having to move your finger again and again. Would make "lean" control options more intuitive without sacrificing menu scrolling.

Taker666

Going deeper into the patent brings up some interesting things-

In the embodiment described above, the wheel type operation sections 24 which rotate planarly (that is, rotate a disk) are taken as an example. Instead of each wheel type operation section 24 described above, for example, a trackball may be provided. In such a case as well, various operations are enabled to be performed by operating the trackball with the index finger. In addition, instead of each wheel type operation section 24, a small-size touch sensor (touch panel) may be disposed.

So they could use wheels, trackballs or touch panels for shoulder buttons in this patent.

ekim

I really like the idea of a scrollable shoulder button the more I think about it. But it could be a problem in shooters when selecting weapons is mapped to that and you accidentally change the weapon when you actually wanted to shoot. (assuming this is the only button on the shoulder and no trigger)

Meesh

...just hoping the bumper wheels are durable enough for intense gaming periods. Cool idea though. More Nintenovation is usually good...well mostly.lol

Scrollable shoulder buttons...sounds interesting!

Also, I'm all for Nintendo keeping and improving on the idea of a screen in the controller. There are plenty of games for Wii U that were better for it.

Taker666

More-

In another embodiment, into each wheel type operation section 24 described above, a motor-controlled mechanism may be incorporated

When the wheel is made rotatable by driving of the motor as described above, the following process is enabled. For example, control of automatically rotating the wheel is enabled. For example, in game processing, as an alert to the player (e.g., an enemy is nearby, or a treasure box is nearby), this control is control of automatically rotating the wheel (continuously rotating the wheel). In addition, control of vibrating the wheel by alternatively repeating forward rotation and reverse rotation of the wheel at short intervals, is also enabled. Moreover, by performing control of applying reverse rotation torque for a quick moment every fixed rotation angle when the wheel is forward-rotated, it is possible to provide a click feeling (a slight resistance feeling with respect to rotation like clicking when the wheel is rotated) as a feeling provided to the fingers when the wheel is rotated.

So potentially, vibration and a form of force feedback could be included in the wheels.

Servbot24

Banned
= making things possible like Mario Maker? Wouldn't call that
There may be a feature I'm not aware of, but I'm pretty sure you could do everything in Mario Maker without touch. Touch makes it better of course, but in the grand scale of an entire console generation, I would most certainly count that as a minor benefit.

phanphare

Banned
There may be a feature I'm not aware of, but I'm pretty sure you could do everything in Mario Maker without touch. Touch makes it better of course, but in the grand scale of an entire console generation, I would most certainly count that as a minor benefit.

Mario Maker hangs its hat on the accessibility of its level editor. that would not be possible without the touch screen.

TheMoon

For some reason the pics in the OP aren't loading for me. Anyway for me to view them?

the pics aren't relevant anyway. the description is what matters.

Like I said before, you can also play any game with d-pad but it is vastly inferior to an analog stick for most of them. Of course you CAN do everything without a second screen. You could design Wii Sports without motion controls if you really wanted to. The point isn't that it can't be done without it, it's that it's so much better with it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Gotcha. Is there a screen in the controller in the pic? Just wondering if people are speculating or if it's actually there.

Help a blind man see...

Yes, there is a screen in the controller in the pic. But it's just a basic scheme. It doesn't have triggers and has only 2 face buttons. The screen might point out the fact that it's a handheld.

Scroll through menus
Lean left and right from cover
Cycle through weapons/combat modes
Give unit orders
Pan the screen etch-a-sketch style
Increase/decrease speed
Control 'intensity' etc etc.

If they make them click shoulder buttons too, this could bring a whole new opportunity for control.

Servbot24

Banned
the pics aren't relevant anyway. the description is what matters.

Like I said before, you can also play any game with d-pad but it is vastly inferior to an analog stick for most of them. Of course you CAN do everything without a second screen. You could design Wii Sports without motion controls if you really wanted to. The point isn't that it can't be done without it, it's that it's so much better with it.
Fair enough. However I stand by my assessment that Mario Maker's ease of use does not warrant putting out another console with a $100 controller.

Pretty sure the screen will be gone guys. Honestly the best thing for Nintendo would be to do a complete refresh, but I don't see that happening. They love their backwards compatibility.

Taker666

Übermatik;179123042 said:
Scroll through menus
Lean left and right from cover
Cycle through weapons/combat modes
Give unit orders
Pan the screen etch-a-sketch style
Increase/decrease speed
Control 'intensity' etc etc.

If they make them click shoulder buttons too, this could bring a whole new opportunity for control.

They are clickable. It says so in the patent. There's even an image of the mechanism.

Rodin

Fair enough. However I stand by my assessment that Mario Maker's ease of use does not warrant putting out another console with a $100 controller.
How is a controller with a small screen 100$? I'm pretty sure not even the Wii U Gamepad was THAT expensive to make.

TheMoon

How is a controller with a small screen 100$? I'm pretty sure not even the Wii U Gamepad was THAT expensive to make.

It's a fictional number based on some speculative component pricing mixed with rumors and costs for a replacement unit from customer support. Using it as a reference point is mostly useless.

Taker666

A few other mildly interesting things.

In the present embodiment, as a rotation sensor (rotation detection section) for rotation detection, an optical rotary encoder is used.

the wheel portion of the wheel type operation section 24 is configured to be endlessly rotatable as long as rotation continues to be applied thereto. Thus, the wheel portion of the wheel type operation section 24 is configured to continue to rotate to some extent due to inertia caused by rotation of the wheel portion, even after the finger is separated from the wheel

is not limited to such a configuration which enables endless rotation, and, for example, may be configured such that the wheel portion is rotatable only 180 degrees

It seems like it functions in a similar way to a mouse wheel...but with things such as inertia continuing to make the wheel turn and the previously mentioned motorised component....it may feel quite different.

Top Bottom