• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Down is Free to play, beta near PS4 Japan launch

Midou

I've been defending the game quite a bit as a whole, but f2p scares me. I can only imagine the hundreds of dollars of DLC to see and do everything. Would rather pay $60 once...

I suspect so much will be behind a paywal, weapons, dungeons, ugh.

Hope Dragon's Dogma 2 is still a thing then.

weevles

Oh man, this just gets worse and worse. Goddamn it Capcom! Or should I blame the consumers who only buy their smartphone stuff? :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cool, means I'll try it for sure. I don't really ever spend money in F2P games though, they have never been interesting enough for me to keep playing/paying.

Derrick01

Banned
Are they trying to make this game less appealing with each new announcement? Graphical downgrade, then Online only, then randomized dungeons, now F2P.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
Cautiously optimistic is what I would call what I am feeling right now. It is all going to depend on the next announcement where they explain their business model. As others have mentioned, this could turn out to be very well, or a disaster.

JWong

Banned
Neogaf on game prices: "Ugh, wtf, $60 is soooo expensive."

Neogaf on free games: "F2P is terrible get that shit out!"

Sajjaja

Neogaf on game prices: "Ugh, wtf, $60 is soooo expensive."

Neogaf on free games: "F2P is terrible get that shit out!"

bunk-the-wire.gif

ironcreed

Banned
Cool, means I'll try it for sure. I don't really ever spend money in F2P games though, they have never been interesting enough for me to keep playing/paying.

That is the problem. Stripped down games like this have no soul. They become slot machines and the most enjoyment goes to those who buy the most, not those who discover and/or earn the most from what is included in the game.

Zaventem

Ahahahah this is capcom we're talking about, and if their dlc of their paid current games is anything to go by this will be the most disgusting product ever released.

Midou

Are they trying to make this game less appealing with each new announcement? Graphical downgrade, then Online only, then randomized dungeons, now F2P.

I think suddenly the downgrade, online and random dungeons make more sense with the f2p announcement.

Sounds like at the initial reveal they planned it to be a far off project, then Capcom was like nope, turn it into whatever will allow us to make the most money the in the shortest time.

I can see it now $2 swords, $10 dungeons, $1 armor repair.

I know there are good f2p games, but not from Capcom and in this era of recent mobile games that nickle and dime you so much.

Was totally down with the online only, when i thought it was gonna be a pay $60 play as much as i'd like, but now the free to play thing has diminished my excitement alot

Amir0x

Banned
Ok now this reduces my hype again somewhat. It can work, but only if there is a single purchasing option that allows you to 'buy in' to set base pack that gives you the whole game experience where you don't have to deal with any "do you want to buy?" prompts.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Someone remind me of how they make it F2P when they as company are only sitting on 150 million? This is fantastic news to be honest. The game looks good and not paying a cent to play it for a month or more is even better. Video game companies must think the F2P model is the next best thing to sliced bread for the industry.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
For a game like this, I guess you can expect things like:
- $10 starter weapon packs
- $40 starter equipment (weapon ammo)
- $5-$10 weapons or armor
- $20 premium weapons or armor
- In-game currency purchase ($5-$50)
- Exp boost
- Instantly unlock dungeons

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Probably gonna pass on it. Honestly, everything I've seen and heard about this game since the initial video has progressively killed my desire to play it. It certainly does look nice, though.

Midou

Someone remind me of how they make it F2P when they as company are only sitting on 150 million? This is fantastic news to be honest. The game looks good and not paying a cent to play it for a month or more is even better. Video game companies must think the F2P model is the next best thing next to slice bread for the industry.

By charging you for bare necessities.

Likely they will give you a good bit of stuff early on for free, so you get sucked into the game, then all of a sudden everything costs money.

I really doubt it will be a month of free content though, even if you're only playing 1 hour a day. I suspect 8-10 hours of introductory stuff purely for free.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, this game looked like it had such potential as well. Now I am expecting a soulless flop that only has gorgeous visuals.

Naminator

Banned
I don't hate Free2Play games, in fact some of them I actually enjoy a lot, PS2, BLR, GW2.

BUT, this is CAPCOM :(

And we all know Capcom's track record when it comes to screwing over their loyal customers.

I predict this game will be an unholy grindfest, filled to the brim with micro-transactions, and that puts my hype level for this game down to ZERO, it will be a "wait and see" type of deal from now on.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
By charging you for bare necessities.

Likely they will give you a good bit of stuff early on for free, so you get sucked into the game, then all of a sudden everything costs money.

This must be a rebranded or new type of project. For the majority of games out there F2P is either FPS, MMO, or MOBA games. Now its on fighters and action games. If they have the right formula, this should be interesting. Deep Down has perfect intentions, Capcom just needs to pull it off big time and I'm all set.

$h@d0w

Has deep down even been announced for US yet? They most likely don't care about anyone in this thread.

This is an Japanese game 100%, right down to the business decisions.

F2P is huge in Asia.

if i can finish the game without buying anything, i'm in. otherwise, fuck off, Capcom.

What if you can finish the game spending $40 and it's 50 hours long?

I don't get the whole if it's F2P I must spend no money. If you can get a full game's worth out of a F2P game for less than $60... what's the problem?

8byte

Banned
I wonder if Wario has a "New Thread" tab open at all times, ready to go so he doesn't waste time on loading the page, lol.

Kyoufu

Deep Down being F2P isn't news to me (I thought everyone knew?) and it's not something that prevents me from playing a game, so this changes nothing. Can't wait to play this!

Top Bottom