• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's hard to believe that we're in 2017 and 60 frames isn't standard on consoles

Lady Gaia

99% of arcade and console video games were effectively 60fps from Pong on through to the 16-bit consoles and virtually all arcade games ever made.

Early video games were 60fps because that was the refresh rete of the display, so they had effectively no choice. The designs were hard-wired to produce visuals on the fly, locked to the refresh rate, because using a frame buffer to store the result of rendering wasn't computationally feasible nor was there enough memory in early machines.

It's not like this was a perfect situation. Hardware limitations meant you couldn't have too many sprites on one scan line, and the workaround for this was to cycle through sprites on successive frames. So in some cases you did, indeed, only get the full image every 30th of a second or worse and everything flickered like hell. Plenty of early computer games had poor frame rates, and anyone who claims otherwise is simply too young to remember, and/or too privileged to have used a mainstream computer to play contemporary games. Arcade games like Hard Drivin' were lucky to hit 15fps, so arcades weren't immune, either.

It makes me laugh to see people talking about Quake as 60fps from day one. Quake shipped with a software renderer, which is how everyone experienced it initially. To hit 60fps on a typical computer you had to shrink the view to a tiny fraction of the screen. Only a precious few had one of the very early 3D hardware accelerators that could run the OpenGL version when it came out six months later.

Budi

I don't understand how it's hard to believe. As someone who is mainly playing PC these days, It's hardly factors in why I chose the platform. It's still a benefit, but mostly in a way that I get to choose not that it would be the standard. I've chosen to play some games on PC with 30 fps and it really didn't hurt the experience in a very noticeable way, I got more bells and whistles as a compensation.

Manu

Let me ask again: does anyone believe there's a way to make this 60 fps on console:

2725235-untitled2.jpg

Just by downgrading the graphics? It's not just about choosing "better looking" games, games are much more complex now.

Paragon

I just can't do 30 FPS. Nothing looks smooth at such a low framerate.
I had to take the extra input lag of using frame interpolation on my TV to try and play Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and not even that could fix how bad it got at times.
Had to abandon it due to motion sickness.

Fortunately, Scorpio is going to support FreeSync and HDMI 2.1 VRR displays, which should mean that games are no longer going to be capped to 30 FPS.
If Destiny 2 can run at 30 FPS on a base PS4, it should be capable of running around 45 FPS on Scorpio with its faster CPU - unless they intentionally cripple its performance.

Hopefully the next PS4 upgrade will also support variable refresh rate displays, if they can't add support to the Pro with a firmware update.
Even 40 FPS would be a good improvement over 30.

While I still don't like playing at sub-60, not having to lock the framerate any more is such an improvement for the majority of games.
Targeting a locked 30 FPS is just leaving performance on the table.

That said, console devs always seem to be chasing graphics over framerate, so the end result of variable refresh rate displays being standardized will be pushing the graphics even further since they no longer have to lock to 30, rather than targeting a locked 30 which means >30 unlocked.

People need to accept that not every game needs to be 60 FPS.
If something is moving across a 60Hz screen, it needs to be updating at 60 FPS to move smoothly.
Doesn't matter if that's a 2D turn-based RPG with a panning camera or a fast action game.
30 FPS movement judders on all 60Hz+ displays.

Meanwhile 24 FPS is still the golden standard for non-interactive fiction.
Fortunately, modern TVs can fix that.

I'm so looking forward to variable refresh rates becoming the norm so we can have much more nuanced conversations. A huge part of the problem right now is the frame rate cliff. I suspect many of the 60fps or bust crowd would be perfectly happy with titles that dip down from the 60s and 70s into the 40s and 50s so long as you still get nice smooth frame pacing.
I found that it was the opposite really.
Buying a G-Sync monitor just confirmed that even 50 FPS doesn't look smooth to me, having previously tried a fixed 50Hz on my TV.
Unlocking the framerate only allows me to push for higher than 60, rather than making <60 more acceptable.
I'm now trying to push everything to 100 FPS since that is the limit of my monitor, and almost regret not going with a smaller/lower resolution display for 144/165/240Hz.

60fps is not smooth on PC as well without Freesync/Gsync monitors.
It can be, but a lot of PC gamers do things which prevent it from being silky smooth in order to minimize input lag.
E.g. Disabling V-Sync and forcing triple-buffering via Windowed Mode or using a framerate limiter like RTSS.

If you're primarily a PC gamer, why do you care? 60 hasn't been a standard on PC until fairly recently.
60 FPS has been possible on PC since the original 3dfx Voodoo card in 1996.
And at high resolutions since the Voodoo² in 1998:
image020tqjyg.gif

Why would a PC gamer care about console games being built for 30 FPS?
Console manufacturers have a habit of paying developers for exclusivity, striking publishing deals, or partially funding games to lock them in.
Many Japanese companies still have not embraced the PC market. Atlus have not only avoided porting games to PC, it's been said that they specifically do not want their games to be on PC.
If consoles ran everything at 60 FPS - or at least much closer to it using VRR - I might consider picking one up to play those games. At 30 FPS I'm just disappointed that I can't play them.
And if these games are brought to PC later, it often turns out that they're hard-coded to 30 FPS rather than simply capped at 30 FPS.

I think it's pretty clear that more and more big-name releases have been multiplatform as the years have gone on. Up to the mid-2000s the big PC games were largely built for PC from the ground up, and because of that performance was all over the place and very often not 60fps. Very few people, if any, were playing Deus Ex or Half-Life 2 at 60fps on release.
The GeForce 6600GT was released 3 months before Half-Life 2, and the ATi X700 (all other cards here) released 2 months before the game.
5701fejto.png
5702qajon.png

I'm having a difficult time finding benchmarks for Deus Ex, but I do remember that being very demanding to run at the time as it pushed the Unreal Engine beyond its limits.
I'm not sure what a high-end PC at the time with something like a Voodoo&#8309; 5500 would run that at.
While I'm sure there will always be exceptions, the point is that people recently seem to have been downplaying historical PC performance for some reason, acting like 60 FPS gaming was something that was only finally attained last gen - which is absolutely not the case.

On top of that, Benchmarks are typically run with settings maxed out, rather than reduced.
Even if a game doesn't hit 60 FPS in a benchmark, it could often still run at 60 FPS with reduced settings.

The Dude

I don't understand how it's hard to believe. As someone who is mainly playing PC these days, It's hardly factors in why I chose the platform. It's still a benefit, but mostly in a way that I get to choose not that it would be the standard. I've chosen to play some games on PC with 30 fps and it really didn't hurt the experience in a very noticeable way, I got more bells and whistles as a compensation.

You've chosen to play games on Pc at 30 frames?

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

DOWN

Banned
I don't want it to be. Not for another couple of gens at least. We aren't far along enough in diminishing returns to make the compromise to the graphical fidelity worth it to me or the developers. I'm surprised OP doesnt get it.

Stuff like Battlefied 1 look awesome but are still compromised and not at all possible for all Studios of varying sizes. 60fps can take a game from standout visuals to shit. See: Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Easily would have had more visual life going on if they hadn't made it 60fps. Wrong choice for an open world visual heavy game.

Also 30fps on consoles =/= 30fps on PC

PC has much less smoothness than consoles as 30fps, as discussed here http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1220680

Budi

You've chosen to play games on Pc at 30 frames?

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

Well maybe chosen isn't entirely correct, but yes I capped Mafia 3 to 30 fps because it didn't perform well in 60. I rather took stable frame rate than constant dips from 60. Also broadcasted Witcher 3: Hearts of stone expansion to my friend in Steam with 30 fps and visuals maxed since it's 30 fps for the viewer anyway. When I played it for myself first time, I played 60 fps so I do prefer it. But I can also give that up, I guess that was my point.

If all games would be perfectly optimized or my rig would be something that can brute force max visuals and still running at 60, I'd choose that ofcourse. Since 60 is better than 30. I had 4 options, to lower the visuals noticeably, complain and be frustrated about perfomance and maybe refund it, play with those dips, or cap the fps to 30. And capping didn't bother me after the initial disappointment.

4K native or checkerboard looks better on the new 4K TVs and that's what most are looking for I'd imagine. I put myself in that camp as I've never jumped to PC so 60fps is just a rare spec for me, even with the Pro nowadays.

I would imagine with the next iteration of consoles you would see it being more common as there is surely to be more CPU available than there are now on the PS4, Xbox1, Pro, or even Scorpio. But if it's to be addressed in the next round of consoles (2018-2020 per some rumors), they'll have to upgrade from the old CPUs while still making strides on GPU and memory + (most importantly) deliver it at a $400 price point, which now wouldn't be possible based off my a la carte shopping around for those higher spec hardware pieces.

Graphics will always trump frame rate, even with the most cutting edge hardware. Developers and publishers generally want their games to look as good as possible. There are exceptions but generally 30fps is still the go-to frame rate for the majority of games and will be for the foreseeable future. At least on console.

BigEmil

60fps = less ai/enemies on screen, less draw distance, graphics will take a hit (people will complain ugh ugly last gen game!!! no buy. Worst fears from devs so have to prioritise eye-candy to sell to them with)

Also it's harder to maintain a stable 60fps than a stable 30fps

Jtrizzy

I need to stop buying 30 fps games. I hate it, and I never finish them because I'll switch to playing on PC, then going back to Horizon, Uncharted etc is unbearable.

Harp

60 fps is also not a standard. Unless your willing to pay the price to get there. Major of PCs sold play games like trash

tsab

one step at a time OP.
PS1/N64 era (3d games) were mostly 15fps.
Now we are *(still) 30fps.
Maybe next gens

Let me ask again: does anyone believe there's a way to make this 60 fps on console:

Just by downgrading the graphics? It's not just about choosing "better looking" games, games are much more complex now.
I'm just glad the game finally runs at 30fps on the PS4 Pro.

Wollan

Needs to be 'standardized' come next gen. We're entering a plateau in CPU performance with Zen. Not many free rides from there on out (until nano-tube CPU's arrive I guess).

And watch it go on to sell millions as few people care about those things.

and what is your point exactly? Seems to me enough people care for the devs to actually have to explain why they are doing it repeatedly and questions from journalists that they can't even answer ( see the no servers one).

OP got his answer in the first few posts.

This is on developers. The vast majority tend to prefer shiny graphics over slick performance, and that makes sense because good graphics means the game is more attractive which in turn means more sales.

hitgirl

Don't really understand how anyone would game on consoles who: A) Considers themselves a hardcore gamer and B) has the disposable income to build a computer. They are so grossly underpowered, loud, faulty, and not modular / fixable.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If a group of people can have something another group can't then they invariably make a much bigger deal out of it. See PC gamers and 60fps or console gamers and their exclusive games.

Personally I get used to 30fps games after a few minutes. I pray the people going on about becoming ill due to trying to play a console game at 30fps are either trolling or seek medical help immediately.

I remember Digital Foundry noting a good number of Switch games are 1080p 60fps docked (i.e. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, etc), and they still look gorgeous.

I just think that on the beefier consoles they tend to prioritize additional visual detail over the playability and performance afforded by a high framerate.
BotW doesn't even manage 30fps. Most fighting games are 60fps on PS4/XBO. And whilst there isn't much to compare in terms of kart racers, Forza 6 is 60fps. Even Halo 5 is 60fps.

I don't really see your point.

This is on developers. The vast majority tend to prefer shiny graphics over slick performance, and that makes sense because good graphics means the game is more attractive which in turn means more sales.

This argument is always used but I don't think it has had validity since gaming magazine screenshots were the only way to preview a game...even less so now that youtube does 60fps. Higher fps doesn't just play better, it looks better. Much of GAF also says "the average person doesn't care about framerate", well those same people wouldn't care about the slight differences in graphical fidelity. And in my opinion, the visual smoothness of higher a framerate is way more noticeable than resolution, and that's disregarding gameplay improvements.

Basically if developers do this I think they're very much mistaken.

hank_tree

The fact is, most consumers don't care about 60 fps. If they did, developers would focus on it more and/or more people would play on PC.

jdmonmou

The fact is, most consumers don't care about 60 fps. If they did, developers would focus on it more and/or more people would play on PC.
I can notice a difference between 30 and 60 fps but it's not like the experience is ruined. Zelda Breath of the Wild struggled to hit 30 on the Wii U but I still thoroughly enjoyed the game.

jryeje29

The only way this becomes standard on consoles is of the manufacturers made it a sort of requirement since given the option devs would usually do more eye candy or fps because it's easier to sell eye candy. And the manufacturers would never do that. It's nobody's fault at this point but instead just a reality we are stuck with since change is risky. I'm sure most devs would love to do both but it's just not possible to have it all at console prices, something is sacrificed.

jryeje29

I don't think it's that most consumers don't care but rather that they don't notice it since they play both sides of the coin often. I never "cared" until I moved to PC and played higher frame rates more often, then while trying 30fps again it was almost unplayable. It's more of a ignorance is bliss and you don't know what you have until you don't thing.

PiFace

Banned
I think the better question is: Why do the mods still let you create topics? Don't you have something better to do than constantly make threads about consoles, even though you are supposedly a PC gamer?

The Dude

I think the better question is: Why do the mods still let you create topics? Don't you have something better to do than constantly make threads about consoles, even though you are supposedly a PC gamer?

I have absolutely zero idea what the fuck you're talking about, I play on both Pc, consoles and handhelds and make topics about them all when the mood strikes me.

Lady Gaia

Don't really understand how anyone would game on consoles who: A) Considers themselves a hardcore gamer and B) has the disposable income to build a computer. They are so grossly underpowered, loud, faulty, and not modular / fixable.

Master race, am I right? I think it's safe to assume I have substantially more disposable income than the majority here. I spend much of my life playing and thinking about gaming. And I utterly reject your dismissive characterization of game consoles. What trope will you pull out next? That I'm not technically competent? That I'm not aware of changes in the PC industry over the past decade?

Why not just get used to the fact that people can and do have different preferences for a wide range of valid reasons and stop trying to convert everyone to your team?

The Dude

Master race, am I right? I think it's safe to assume I have substantially more disposable income than the majority here. I spend much of my life playing and thinking about gaming. And I utterly reject your dismissive characterization of game consoles. What trope will you pull out next? That I'm not technically competent? That I'm not aware of changes in the PC industry over the past decade?

Why not just get used to the fact that people can and do have different preferences for a wide range of valid reasons and stop trying to convert everyone to your team?

Yea I personally don't get all into the stupid elite aspect of Pc gaming, been doing it since mid 80s and been building since the early 90s so to me is simply second nature but I also enjoy console games when they're exclusive and when they are games where more friends are at.

For me this thread I probably didn't word right as people fixate on such small moot details of threads, but I just find and prefer 60 frames. Will I play 30 if I have no choice? Sure, but I just find the smoothness of 60 to be unmatched. And I honestly don't get into the who's what's and or why's like I used to, I just play and enjoy my games but seeing some games achieve 60 on ps4 has been a nice touch lately and if makes for a better transition when going from my Pc to consoles. And I also find those who act like touching a console when you can Pc game to be a joke, I pay no attention. But Pc gaming does spoil one big time I just wish theyd utilize pro more to shave a little off graphics to find that perfect balance.

hank_tree

I don't think it's that most consumers don't care but rather that they don't notice it since they play both sides of the coin often. I never "cared" until I moved to PC and played higher frame rates more often, then while trying 30fps again it was almost unplayable. It's more of a ignorance is bliss and you don't know what you have until you don't thing.

Yes exactly. They don't know/care.

Nheco

When people will understand that 60 or 30 is a matter of design? Ffs, it will never be a standard. Why? The hardware is fixed, so some designers will choose eye candy over framerate. It's not so hard to understand, geez...

Why worry about 60 FPS when some games can't hit 30? The Last Guardian for example.

Best solution I think is Nioh's - options for graphics or frames.

I don't play a ton of games on PS4 but....

Destiny, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy 15, and Bloodborne are all 30 FPS.

OK?

Blacklight: Retribution
FlOw
Flower
King of Fighters 14
MLB 14: The Show
Nights of Azure
Primal carnage:Extinction
Resogun
Senran Kagura Estival Versus
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
Sword art online lost song
Tearaway Unfolded
The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition
Yakuza Kiwami - NYR

Call of duty modern warfare: Remastered
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round:Remastered
Dead Rising : Remastered
God of War III Remastered
Gravity Rush : Remastered
Journey
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 4
The Last of Us: Remastered (Can choose 30fps or 60 fps)
Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

Battleborn
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Borderlands 2
Call of Duty: Advanced warfare
Call of Duty: Black ops 3
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Child of light
Dark Souls 2
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
Dirt Rally
Doom
Dragonball Xenoverse 2
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes II
F1 2015
F1 2016
FIFA 14
FIFA 15
FIFA 16
FIFA 17
Guilty gear Xrd -Revelator
Guilty gear Xrd -sign
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Metro Redux
Mighty No.9
Minecraft
Mortal Combat X
Murdered: Soul Suspect
NBA 2K 14
NieR: Automata
Outlast
Outlast 2
Overwatch
Paladins (open beta)
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
Pro Evolution Soccer 15
Pro Evolution Soccer 16
Pro Evolution Soccer 17
Project cars
Rainbow 6 Siege
Rayman Legends
Resident Evil : Revelations 2
Resident Evil 7
Rocket League
Shadow Warrior
Skylanders: Swap Force
Sniper Elite 3
Street Fighter 5
Tales of berseria
Titanfall 2
The Talos Principle
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Witness
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Tranformers Devastation
Trials fusion
Trine 2
Trine 3: Artifacts of Power
Warframe
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
WWE 2K15

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Inside
Rogue Legacy
Spelunky

... are all 60.

Van Bur3n

60 FPS always, I don't even care about a 720p resolution, but 60 frames is the way.

This is me as well. I care little about the resolution so long as it's in the realm of HD. 60 fps actually affects the game and betters the way it's played.

I can go either way with frame rate, but were there always an option to choose, It would be 60 fps.

Top Bottom