• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Beam.pro being renamed Mixer.com, gets new features

JaggedSac

Mixer/Beam is AMAZING for hosting Jackbox/Drawful games, btw, with the low latency

Yeah, I played Jackbox with someone from gaf over Beam and it worked quite well. We were in party chat over Live and the timing of the voice and what was happening was damn near instant.

<title>Beam | Interactive Livestreaming</title>

Come on guys, do a more thorough rebranding on your page :p

TalonJH

Beam was a better name but you have to do what you have to do. Also, no one probably cares about Hitbox but they also recently changed their name after merging with Azubu and it's just as bad. Hitbox is now Smashcast.(no connection to Smash Bros.)

a harpy

I'm shocked they're still around honestly.

Not sure about what sponsorship they have, but I'm sure the fact that they don't limit what can be shown is one of the reasons there will always be some kind of demand for a smaller website like Hitbox. If someone wants to stream Yandere Simulator in the future, they can't do it on Twitch.

Does anyone know of any way to change the default streaming on X1 back to Twitch? Every time I try to broadcast, it forces Beam and I can't figure out how to change it back.

TalonJH

I'm shocked they're still around honestly.

Their platform was always great but they never did anything to grow. I'm also pretty disappointed with Youtube Gaming. They are still working on the platform but live streaming popularity just isn't growing there.

Somnia

Their platform was always great but they never did anything to grow. I'm also pretty disappointed with Youtube Gaming. They are still working on the platform but live streaming popularity just isn't growing there.

Ya I was shocked they didn't do more to push YouTube Gaming. One thing I'll say is at least MS is pushing beam/mixer. It's seen a good growth over the last couple months, still very small, but it's showing growth which is good.

Septic360

Banned
BEAM or now Mixer, absolutely decimates Twitch imo.

Its super fast, intuitive, no lag and just effortless to use all round.

With these features, its on another level.

something something if a tree falls in a forest, something something no one is there, something something does it still make a sound.?

Back to topic....yah, the name's pretty weird.

Seems like a microsoft thing to do, instead of working with something they go and rename/change it because it didn't work well enough for a few months.

TalonJH

Ya I was shocked they didn't do more to push YouTube Gaming. One thing I'll say is at least MS is pushing beam/mixer. It's seen a good growth over the last couple months, still very small, but it's showing growth which is good.

For a while, I thought they had given up on YTG but they have a few new "catch up" features in beta right now.

The Beam team has always been cool. The founder won me over on the MS buyout over twiter DMs and I'm nobody special. They care about their community and now MS is giving them the resources they need to go bigger. MS seems pretty committed. I wish I felt like YT was as committed to YTG.

Lucifon

But...there's nobody on it. That's the big problem. The platform itself seems solid with some pretty great features, but without the people there behind it it's all worthless. And there's no real incentive to switch - why would you stream on a platform with a much lower chance of views than one which has hundreds of thousands of visitors a day.

Somnia

Seems like a microsoft thing to do, instead of working with something they go and rename/change it because it didn't work well enough for a few months.

Or you could read the thread and realize they had to change it for a global marketing reason as they cant use the beam name everywhere.

Marcel

And as usual with Microsoft's "me too" services it has absolutely no stroke or engaged user/streamer population compared to the big names.

Chun-Li

But...there's nobody on it. That's the big problem. The platform itself seems solid with some pretty great features, but without the people there behind it it's all worthless. And there's no real incentive to switch - why would you stream on a platform with a much lower chance of views than one which has hundreds of thousands of visitors a day.

And whose to say that it wouldn't get worse once more people are actually on the service as well. Didn't Justin.tv/Twitch have lower latency until it exploded?

Somnia

It takes time to grow, it doesn't happen over night.

Also as a new streamer your chances of getting noticed and growing on beam/mixer are higher than on twitch because on twitch you're going to be thrown to the bottom below all of the giant streamers and good luck!

The largest streamers on beam can hit in the low 1000's right now (only a couple minecraft guys that I've seen). While some of the other higher ones get 70-500. So while it's still small it is growing as these numbers were not seen just 2-3 months ago by individual streamers.

Somnia

And whose to say that it wouldn't get worse once more people are actually on the service as well. Didn't Justin.tv/Twitch have lower latency until it exploded?

It had less than it does now, but it was never as fast as beam/mixer's is. This FTL tech they use allows us to instantly respond to chat.

i feel that other than the accidental success that's the Xbox brand, Microsoft has some pretty bad naming streak for their consumer products and services...

Bing, Zune, Bob, Mixer, Windows Phone 7 series, windows version number skipping, etc etc etc........

jett

D-Member
Beam is cool (I especially like how there's no delay, unlike Twitch), it just needs actual support. Nothing is streamed on there. A name change isn't going to change that. I think it'd be more productive for Microsoft to just buy out Twitch.

sangreal

Beam is cool (I especially like how there's no delay, unlike Twitch), it just needs actual support. Nothing is streamed on there. A name change isn't going to change that. I think it'd be more productive for Microsoft to just buy out Twitch.

amazon beat them to it

Talonluck

I like the app. Good looking stuff. I might start streaming on there if I can get it all setup easy. Love the coop streams.

I visited the mixer webpage to see what was up and viewing a stream took about 3 minutes because the webpage was forever loading something along the top and well, not doing much, once I did get in an overlaying popup box was asking me to sign in or sign up every time I clicked my mouse on the page.

The layout reminds me of youtube gaming which is bad.

For all the stick I have given twitch over the years they are in a very good position right now and I can usually load up a stream in a matter of seconds from my follow list.

I hope it does well. It's a nice platform but there's just not any big streamers that I know on there.

This^! The fact that MS doesn't openly advertise Beam/Mixer, is a huge issue. They don't have any traction as it is with the service and the lack of advertisement is hurting it. Not to mention it already has a disadvantage of being owned by MS; not being natively available on anything outside of the MS ecosystem.

They need to start pushing this as an alternative to Youtube Gaming and Twitch, and rewarding people for using it. Not, oh hey, we do this and this and this, but showing people why they should be using the platform.

I visited the mixer webpage to see what was up and viewing a stream took about 3 minutes because the webpage was forever loading something along the top and well, not doing much, once I did get in an overlaying popup box was asking me to sign in or sign up every time I clicked my mouse on the page.

The previous layout was better than this. I don't know who ok'd this, but this is bad.

Somnia

For all the stick I have given twitch over the years they are in a very good position right now and I can usually load up a stream in a matter of seconds from my follow list.

Weird I don't have this problem at all.

Granted I'm logged into an account so don't have the popup stuff, but I can load it up instantly on my phone and jump right into a stream, same on my PC.

Sarobi

Banned
Name is fine and the features are cool, but streams take forever to load, and the site design is kinda meh. I'll try streaming on it for a bit, though. I hope it picks up and forces Twitch to improve things on their end.

Weird I don't have this problem at all.

Granted I'm logged into an account so don't have the popup stuff, but I can load it up instantly on my phone and jump right into a stream, same on my PC.

If I was still on my old core2duo I would put the blame on that but I am on an i5 6500 now, something was causing it to choke / load slowly, I had to click on the top overwatch stream about 5 times for the webpage to do anything.

The popup is something that seems to appear, go away for 30 seconds but if you click around the video anywhere it overlaps the feed again, it just keeps bugging me to log in.

The previous layout was better than this. I don't know who ok'd this, but this is bad.
I dislike how there is tons of dead space around the video and then what feels like an iframe window on the right side for chat, it's the small things that bother me and I feel like they could do it better.

DArKAr2XUAEWNa5

If this is how its gonna look on xbox now then im fuckin wit it.

gamz

If I was still on my old core2duo I would put the blame on that but I am on an i5 6500 now, something was causing it to choke / load slowly, I had to click on the top overwatch stream about 5 times for the webpage to do anything.

The popup is something that seems to appear, go away for 30 seconds but if you click around the video anywhere it overlaps the feed again, it just keeps bugging me to log in.

I dislike how there is tons of dead space around the video and then what feels like an iframe window on the right side for chat, it's the small things that bother me and I feel like they could do it better.

It's fine for me. Dunno.

Top Bottom