• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-American family uses BLM sign, receives hatemail/threats

Llyranor

One Asian American family in San Francisco has been the target of hate mail since putting up a Black Lives Matter sign in their window.

KRON 4 reports that Debbie Lee has had the sign up in the window of her Forest Knolls/Twin Peaks home since 2015. But despite having been up all this time, it's only just recently that she started receiving threatening letters in the mail about the sign.

Lee told CBS that one letter, which was just placed in her mailbox in July, read, "BLUE LIVES MATTER! Get rid of your sign or WE will!" Following that one, another letter came, this time saying, "It’s time to replace your BLM sign. How about CHINK LIVES MATTER". The letters all culminated in one, which Lee said felt like a direct threat. She said, "It’s the threat of ‘If you don’t take it down, we will’ which implies that they are going to come do something to our property, to ourselves."
Lee expressed worry about not knowing exactly who's been leaving the letters, saying, "We think it might be someone in the neighborhood because they know we are Asian.” But despite that, she and her family remain undeterred in their expression of support for the BLM movement. Moreover, they've doubled down on it, placing more signs in their window that read, "STANDING WITH MY NEIGHBORS AGAINST HATE." As well, at a community meeting on Monday where she was to speak about her experience, Lee was greeted with a round of applause.

We all have to stick together!

More at the link http://sfist.com/2017/09/19/asian_american_family_threatened_fo.php

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The people leaving those letters in their mailbox. Pure scum.

Good for the family though. Stay strong.

Lunar15

Man, it's so nuts to me how much BLM rustles people up. It gets people so fucking mad, it's incredible. Like, far madder than I'd ever expected, even given the subject material.

I was driving on the interstate and I saw an old lady with TWO giant "Blue Lives Matter" stickers her car with the accompanying catch phrase: "Just Comply". Do they not realize how absolutely fucked up that sounds? These are often the same people who rally against big government and taxation, but cops? Just comply! Go along with it! It's fine because I'm not a thug!

Rmagnus

Banned
Wow chink is still a thing? Man these people are just sad... To be fair even if cops find whoever these assholes are will they really do anything? Buy them burger king?

Saya

Wow chink is still a thing? Man these people are just sad... To be fair even if cops find whoever these assholes are will they really do anything? Buy them burger king?

Chink never went away. Like tons of other racist names Asian people are called.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Man, it's so nuts to me how much BLM rustles people up. It gets people so fucking mad, it's incredible. Like, far madder than I'd ever expected, even given the subject material.
It's disturbing because it's really just black lives matter. Not matter more than white people, not matter more than police. Simply implying that black people matter is offensive to so many.

I'd ask why the police aren't involved with actual threats being sent but being the US I can't help but assume an off duty cop at least sent the first one.

Of course it is.

You think racists are out here being creative? They're hind-brained, knee-jerk substance-less shitbags, not writers.

I don't understand why you think it wouldn't be. Chink was a thing when I was a kid, there are a lot of people in the world 30 years or older. And yes they are incredibly sad/pathetic people.

Telling that saying Black Lives Matter is apparently so aggressive that the only logical opposite retort to it is Blue Lives Matter.

Like niggas was born blue and didn't have a say in the matter.

After you being serious? You think chink just magically disappeared? Even ESPN used it not too long ago.

Couleurs

It breaks people’s brains.
One minute it’s “WHY DO BLM RALLIES HAVE TO BLOCK ROADS? WHY CANT THEY PROTEST PEACEFULLY?”
Then a few minutes later the same person is like “I CANT BELIEVE THAT FOOTBALL PLAYER IS KNEELING DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM”. Like, how much more peaceful can a protest be than someone kneeling quietly without causing a scene? But people still get furious about it. Fuck em.

NekoFever

It's disturbing because it's really just black lives matter. Not matter more than white people, not matter more than police. Simply implying that black people matter is offensive to so many.

Because it's been deliberately painted in certain circles as meaning "only black lives matter" rather than "black lives matter too". The same ones push the narrative that it's some violent hate group.

Lunar15

Telling that saying Black Lives Matter is apparently so aggressive that the only logical opposite retort to it is Blue Lives Matter.

Like niggas was born blue and didn't have a say in the matter.

That's what's crazy about it: people are looking at black lives matter and just immediately jumping to "THEY THINK COPS SHOULD BE KILLED" when that's not even remotely the message at all. Cops have unjustly killed many black people (and just people in general if you want to get down to it). But BLM has killed exactly zero cops.

There's not even an attempt to see the conversation. It's immediately "this is a threat" not "there might be something here".

wetflame

Pizza Dog
MURICA

---

On the topic of the word 'chink', you would not believe how popular it still is in the UK. It's common to hear "I'm going to the Chinkies", i.e, I'm going for a Chinese. It has diminished greatly though.

I live in the UK and have never heard anyone say that. I'm aware of Chink as a derogatory term for Chinese people, but I've never heard anyone use it in that way, or describe the restaurants as Chinkies. Obviously just my own experience though, yours may vary.

Edit: I'm white so I wouldn't have had it directed at me, that might be part of the reason I haven't heard it.

Fuck racism! It seems like everyday now there are more and more stories popping up. I’m sick of it. Bigots are coming out of the racism closet in force it seems. And the BLM hate utterly ridiculous.

If I were them, I'd get security cameras for my home. And if they did it again, I'd publically oust them.

Same. I would also have one of those wi-fi cams outside the house facing the front alongside a motion sensor light just so I can have a clear picture of the racist asshole or assholes that keep on menacing.

Ithil

It breaks people’s brains.
One minute it’s “WHY DO BLM RALLIES HAVE TO BLOCK ROADS? WHY CANT THEY PROTEST PEACEFULLY?”
Then a few minutes later the same person is like “I CANT BELIEVE THAT FOOTBALL PLAYER IS KNEELING DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM”. Like, how much more peaceful can a protest be than someone kneeling quietly without causing a scene? But people still get furious about it. Fuck em.

I shit you not, I saw someone claim BLM actually means "White lives don't matter". Like, how lacking in self-awareness or irony can you get?

TalonJH

When have racism/slurs ever gone away?

Obviously, they know what it means but just don't care. Otherwise, Blue Lives Matter would be just offensive to them but no one says, "all lives matter" to people that say blue lives matter. Funny that, right?

kmfdmpig

I shit you not, I saw someone claim BLM actually means "White lives don't matter". Like, how lacking in self-awareness or irony can you get?

NekoFever said it well. Those against it wrongly interpret it as (Only) BLM rather than Black Lives (also) Matter. I don't think the people that interpret it that way would have been allies anyway.

I live in the UK and have never heard anyone say that. I'm aware of Chink as a derogatory term for Chinese people, but I've never heard anyone use it in that way, or describe the restaurants as Chinkies. Obviously just my own experience though, yours may vary.

Edit: I'm white so I wouldn't have had it directed at me, that might be part of the reason I haven't heard it.

Probably more of Glaswegian thing than a UK wide thing, maybe? I thought it was more widespread.

It's a thing in London too. Tried to get my dad to stop saying it even if he only says it around family. Didn't exactly work. Feelsbadman.
Also why does no one respond to blue lives matter with "all colours matter"?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
God damn "Blue Lives Matter" gets me so agitated. Why the fuck is that necessary?

It's common still amongst the scum classes to describe a Chinese takeaway

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

Either you are younger or grew up in a nice area, but I heard this a lot, along with Paki and poof and all the other shite terms, on the estates in the 80s. Havent heard either term till now though, so assumed the bad old days and the bad terms had died away.

I was driving on the interstate and I saw an old lady with TWO giant "Blue Lives Matter" stickers her car with the accompanying catch phrase: "Just Comply". Do they not realize how absolutely fucked up that sounds? These are often the same people who rally against big government and taxation, but cops? Just comply! Go along with it! It's fine because I'm not a thug!

These are the same folks who, before Ferguson, ranted about cops being the government's "jack-booted thugs" but all of a sudden, things changed. I wonder what. 🤔

These are the same folks who, before Ferguson, ranted about cops being the government's "jack-booted thugs" but all of a sudden, things changed. I wonder what. 🤔

Nothing scares racists more than organized minorities. They want easy game, not a legion to stand against.

Lunar15

These are the same folks who, before Ferguson, ranted about cops being the government's "jack-booted thugs" but all of a sudden, things changed. I wonder what. ��

It's funny: I know a decent amount of libertarians and there was an interesting moment of inflection with Ferguson where half of them were vehemently against the protesters and the other half were actually heavily in support of them, at least due to the fact that they thought it was a massive overreach of government force.

Nepenthe

Amazing how people most prone to saying "All Lives Matter" in response to "Black Lives Matter" probably have no problem saying "Blue Lives Matter." Hmm.

It's crazy how much BLM bothers these people. Even people who aren't racist have been tricked in to believing it's some extremist group or some bullshit. Same shit with the black panthers. Had to explain to my mom she was lied to about the BP not to long ago. It's crazy what living in the south and being lied to on the news can do to a person.

This is even crazier being its California, but I guess you really can't excape racism and shit.

Top Bottom