• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

kami_sama

I just installed Ms. Splosion man, and when I launch game I get to the start screen asking me to press enter. Once I do that, a Games for Windows Live screen pops up asking me to either log in or register an account. When I refuse, the game just stays at the start screen.

Why is a Steam game forcing me to make a Live account to play it? My other Steam games just start normally....
Well, it's not Steam the one that is forcing you, but the game itself. It needs a Live account.

http://i.imgur.com/WGhVRLg.gif[/i mg][/quote]
:lol

Shantom

I just installed Ms. Splosion man, and when I launch game I get to the start screen asking me to press enter. Once I do that, a Games for Windows Live screen pops up asking me to either log in or register an account. When I refuse, the game just stays at the start screen.

Why is a Steam game forcing me to make a Live account to play it? My other Steam games just start normally....
It's a game that requires GFWL, simple as that. There are many such games on Steam (Dark Souls, Batman, RE5) but for this one there was no warning on the store page. Because of that, you can probably get a refund if you wish. Alternatively just make a LIVE account, it's free (but terrible) on PC.

FYC

Banned

Because Games For Windows Live is horrible and everyone hates it

Sorry you had to find out this way

Capcom, remove GFWL in the next SF4 update or you can kiss your business goodbye.

lexi

Banned

Your poor, poor GFWL virgin. My first time was with Arkham Asylum.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good luck beating the final level and boss in just a day without a strategy guide.

I did it!

2A62E833CCFFDB71FDBF07F2CCC962FCB574BAFF

RiverBed

Banned
Would someone please explain something:
Isn't Steam a game store/delivery service just like GFWL, Origin, Impulse and others? Aren't these individual entities? Why would one require the other to run their games? I could buy a game on Origin and play it on Origin, for example.
This is as strange to me. Why would one service demands you use another service to play the game you bought on it? If the game is NOT on Steam, why the hell offer it on Steam? Am I missing something? I can't buy Starcraft 2 on Steam, because it is NOT a Steam game.

Thanks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't Steam a game store/delivery service just like GFWL, Origin, Impulse and others? Aren't these individual entities? Why would one require the other to run their games? I could buy a game on Origin and play it on Origin, for example.
This is as strange to me. Why would one service demands you use another service to play the game you bought on it? If the game is NOT on Steam, why the hell offer it on Steam? Am I missing something? I can't buy Starcraft 2 on Steam, because it is NOT a Steam game.

Thanks.

GFWL is, practically speaking, a convenience for X360 -> PC ports as its essentially the same as the Xbox Live API, which means developers can port over the achievement and network systems of X360 titles with little effort. GFWL has increasingly gone of the way of the dodo in recent years as more and more developers have opted for Steamworks integration (though there are some cases where GFWL is layered on top of Steamworks, such as Arkham City), but that's essentially the long and short of it. As far as other games are concerned, namely Ubi's Uplay games, it's simply a way for a publisher its own platform while still leveraging the advantage of Steam's massive userbase.

Edit: D'oh, didn't switch tabs.

jediyoshi

Thanks.

It's a bunch of different things. At its simplest it's because the publishers of the game that get to choose its different platforms realize there's certain groups of people they'll be shutting out completely if it's not made available on their DD of choice. From that user's perspective it's a matter of convenience. Blizzard can get away with it because their install base is large enough to not be affected, MS published games don't have that sway.

In the specific case of games ported from xbox with GFWL, it's a matter of it being more simple for the developers rather than rewriting functions to make them dependent of it.

kami_sama

Thanks.
The new Ubisoft games use uplay, but you can buy them on steam, origin or the same uplay.
You can also buy steamworks games on origin, and on steam you have uplay games, GFWL games, etc.

Ledsen

Can I please request a quick pronunciation guide for the unititiated?

Is it 'mar-tay', or a single-syllable 'mayt'? Something else altogether?

As an Aussie, I was initially a little confused and perturbed by the idea of drinking one's 'mate' - I have some close friends, sure, but that would be crossing some sort of line.

mah-teh

Glass Rebel

Thanks.

It's because some publishers are shitty and don't get it at all.

In the future, always refer to Enhanced Steam, this list or ask in this thread if you aren't sure.

sol_bad

TunnelBear itself doesn't work with Steam, and if Valve catches on to you using a VPN to bypass local pricing, you'll find your account restricted.

I had a feeling that would be the situation, thanks for the reply.
I thought I'd just ask though since it works well for Green Man Gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom