• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Alliance Announced [Certain Affinity, XBLA Action RPG, Screenshots]

FrankT

AU TX guys. This must have been what Major Nelson was teasing to show us a few months ago that he would show us in a few months.

V_Ben

Banned
i0z5n.png

In case people were still curious re: platforms / exclusivity. From their facebook page.

Really interested in what this looks like. Age of Booty was relatively fun, so I'm curious about how this is going to work.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Crimson Alliance is the new action RPG from Certain Affinity! It takes everything we've learned about high action from working on shooters like Halo and Call of Duty, and everything we love about the fantasy genre, but gets rid of all that tedious backpack rummaging, and boring dialog!

Well this sounds absolutely horrible already.

Dialog I can do without, but what do they mean by no "backpack rummaging"? No potions? No loot? I guess you could just run around and get money to buy stuff in town. I guess it makes sense to get rid of that stuff when you're playing with an Xbox controller.

Sinatar said:

I love the way that sounds, actually. An action RPG focused on action could be a refreshing change. The same reason I'm looking forward to Dragon's Dogma, although that seems to be even less of an RPG than this.

Ledsen

Patryn said:
Isn't what you're describing just an action game?

Have you ever played one of the classic console ARPGS like Ys or Terranigma? Those kind of games didn't have much in the way of loot or skill trees, and they were among the best ARPGs ever made. I personally hate the shit out of loot games but LOVE ARPGs.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I love the way that sounds, actually. An action RPG focused on action could be a refreshing change. The same reason I'm looking forward to Dragon's Dogma, although that seems to be even less of an RPG than this.
It sounds bad tbh. I mean, without loot, what is there left ot character progression? And without character progression, whats is "RPG" about it? It might as well just be a top down hack n' slash.

godhandiscen said:
It sounds bad tbh. I mean, without loot, what is there left ot character progression? And without character progression, whats is "RPG" about it? It might as well just be a top down hack n' slash.

They didn't say anything about not being able to upgrade stuff or gain levels. If they are indeed making some kind of Torchlight clone and not something else, it sounds like they just want to get rid of the part where you stop, open your bags, identify stuff, give some stuff to your dog, or go to town to sell stuff. Maybe this isn't a Diablo clone though. Action RPG doesn't necessarily mean Diablo. Secret of Mana was an Action RPG.

godhandiscen said:

It depends on your definition, there are plenty of ARPGs with no emphasis on loot collecting. But I really don't care if it has any RPG elements or not. As long as it's a good game, it could be a turn-based tycoon title for all I care.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ledsen said:
Have you ever played one of the classic console ARPGS like Ys or Terranigma? Those kind of games didn't have much in the way of loot or skill trees, and they were among the best ARPGs ever made.

That's a good point. I mean, really, as long as you have items that make sure that you KNOW you're progressing, and your characters have a quest to go on, and clear idea as to how to do it, that's really all an ARPG needs.

Think about the Capcom D&D Arcade games. They had shops, dynamic choices of where to go, replenishable potions and items, stronger weapons at certain points in the story, and a wide variety of skills to use from scrolls or from learning the controls well. But they were not full of much of the clunk of the average RPG-style games.

If this game focuses on teamwork, and equipping the RIGHT item at the RIGHT time, rather than just going through 100s of items that ultimately turn up useless once everyone identifies what's "Best", I'll be quite happy.

If the combo system works something like an ARPG version of FFXI's Skillchains + Magic Burst, I'll be looking forward to it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ledsen said:
Have you ever played one of the classic console ARPGS like Ys or Terranigma? Those kind of games didn't have much in the way of loot or skill trees, and they were among the best ARPGs ever made. I personally hate the shit out of loot games but LOVE ARPGs.

Yes, yes, THIS! I know there's a large contingent of gamers who LOVE loot-based games... but it just doesn't work for me. I hate hate hate grinding for drops. I'd rather be solving interesting puzzles, fighting challenging bosses, etc. I'd much rather play something like Ys or Terranigma over Diablo or Torchlight. Even Ys 7 got slightly looty unfortunately :(

V_Ben

Banned
Ooh, I wonder if the loot automatically equips if it's better than what you already have? That'd be streamlined. I imagine it constantly getting better and better throughout the game, and then a New Game + making it even crazier.

Artadius

Crimson Alliance is the new action RPG from Certain Affinity! It takes everything we've learned about high action from working on shooters like Halo and Call of Duty, and everything we love about the fantasy genre, but gets rid of all that tedious backpack rummaging, and boring dialog!

godhandiscen said:
It is a loot game! Yay!

d79365c9-1390-4b64-bd01-dce052858b8b.jpeg

30k661j.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ledsen said:
Where does it say it's not a loot game? It just screams of more stupid streamlining for that aspect, as if it was too complex to begin with, Hunted style. Also, Ys tends to have much more dialogue than your average loot game, being more like console JRPGs with an action combat system (and grinding, ugh, thankfully Ys Seven didn't have any on the normal difficulty) so it definitely doesn't sound like that's the direction they're going for so you may wanna adjust your expectations now. Edit: as shown above, lol.

Don't like how they pretend they're solving issues all such ARPGs have, when plenty of them have had great quick ways to manage inventory, selling loot, etc.

Well if this comes to PSN some day I might check it out. Always up for some loot whoring ARPGs.

Ledsen said:

lol if you say so. An action RPG without loot based/skill based progression is just a bad/shallow top down action game.

Alexios

perfectnight said:
lol if you say so. An action RPG without loot based/skill based progression is just a bad/shallow top down action game.
Lol, if you say so. Try expandng your horizons a bit, just because they may fit under the same vague words that is action and role playing and game doesn't mean they have to offer the Diablo experience. Some of the games he mentions are in fact great, just not the same type of game. Zelda, Tales of, Ys, Mana, Oasis, all are Action RPGs without emphasis on loot. Just not the same type of ARPG so nothing to bring up in this thread to begin with really. Your statement is still ridiculously funny though, thank you.

Well I don't want to derail this thread any further so I'll just disagree. :)
That just sounds like you can't back your statements up but whatever works for you. Oh well, it's only your loss if you don't play games like those discussed because you consider them inferior to Diablo-likes when they aren't even the same type of game at all despite all being action role playing games (and most being great games to boot). Smilie smilie.

Ledsen

perfectnight said:

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard this month at least. Thanks.

Shig said:
So you have no predisposition for, say, Zelda? Alundra? Beyond Oasis?

FUCK YEAH someone mentioned my favorite game of all time. Just beat Legends of Oasis the other day, kind of meh, looking for something more similar to Beyond Oasis. Anything on XBLA or Steam or something I don't know about? I've already played Alundra/Landstalker etc etc.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
perfectnight said:
An action RPG without loot based/skill based progression is just a bad/shallow top down action game.
Yeah, no.

While I love them, loot games contain no action, they really shouldn't be called action RPGs, actually.. it doesn't really take much to point and click on what you want to kill and then it just automatically happens.

Games like Ys are action games (that also have light RPG elements), they require reflexes. You have direct control of a character, you need to block, dodge, jump and counterattack to succeed.

In Torchlight, all you need to do is repeatedly click on a monster and press the 1 and 2 buttons when you need HP and MP restored (again, I love the game, but that's the reality of it).

Alexios

Princess Skittles said:
In Torchlight, all you need to do is repeatedly click on a monster and press the 1 and 2 buttons when you need HP and MP restored (again, I love the game, but that's the reality of it).
Try using more than plain attacks, it's even more fun that way, and is both management (of your mana levels vs the payoff from skills) and action (maybe it's point and click but you still have to move around and choose what skills are best to use in any situation, one on one or crowd control or mixed etc). Granted, Torchlight is a bit simplistic but that's not exactly all the formula can ever be used for, I'm sure Diablo III will have far more depth and active use of skills etc. Magicka is point & click too, but is an action game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Alextended said:
Try using more than plain attacks, it's even more fun that way, and is both management (of your mana levels vs the payoff from skills) and action (maybe it's point and click but you still have to move around and choose what skills are best to use in any situation, one on one or crowd control or mixed etc). Magicka is point & click, but is an action game.
I've beat it on Very Hard, I've used varying skills (used the Respec Potion a few times), but it doesn't really elevate it past a "point and click" game.

The game had a slightly better feel on XBLA given that you had direct control of the character, but I had already bought it on PC and wasn't going to double dip.

Alexios

Princess Skittles said:
I've beat it on Very Hard, I've used varying skills (used the Respec Potion a few times), but it doesn't really elevate it past a "point and click" game.
Uh? Elevate past a point and click game? How is not being a point & click game "elevating" in any way? It's just a different control method and different gameplay. Variety is good and stuff, hence it's good we have all these types of action games, and action rpgs. Using point & click methods doesn't somehow stop games from being action games afaik.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sinatar said:
Torchlight is similar with very min dialog, even Diablo. The best ones always seem to keep it to a min and completely skippable.

On back pack, depends on how they do it. If they just removed managing it, I don't have a problem. Make it infinite or class it by junk, good items, tools, etc. If its completely gone and they just force you to choose on the spot. Booo.

Alexios

shintoki said:
The best ones always seem to keep it to a min and completely skippable
Yes, I would imagine they compare their game to the best ones, not shitty ones that went overboard in either aspect (although I can't name any). The genre doesn't really need more streamlining while they imply those are major issues that theirs will fix. As for text (and voice overs alongside it), if there's almost none, it could harm the charm of the setting too. In short, the genre is simplistic by default, hyping up your take by saying you simplify certain aspects as the first tidbit of information isn't the best start.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
An interview:
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/c...affinity_discusses_xbla_crimson_alliance.html

Earlier this week Certain Affinity announced Xbox LIVE exclusive action RPG Crimson Alliance. We caught up with President Max Hoberman to find out how the game came to be and how much the team loves Diablo.

Q: How did the game come to be and why did you choose XBLA over full-price retail?

Max Hoberman: We love RPG games, and have wanted to make a great action RPG since Certain Affinity was founded. XBLA was a natural choice for us, because it's such a fun, experimental space these days. You can really innovate on XBLA in a way that is harder to do on a full retail product. And of course, it's perfect for games with a multiplayer focus like this...

Q: How much of an influence has Diablo been on Crimson Alliance?

MH: There's not a person at the studio who hasn't played and loved Diablo. So of course we were influenced by it, but there are things we wanted to do differently - most notably focus on fast action combat, where the characters are highly mobile and dynamic, forced to use cover, think about sight lines, and lots of other stuff we've learned making shooters.

Q: If this release is a success could future iterations be full-blown retail releases?

MH: We'd love that! There's so much we're doing here that is closer to a full retail game than a traditional arcade game. It's a really full-featured game, and we very much hope to continue the franchise, going bigger each time.

Q: Can you expand on how players will be able to work together, and detail some of the special moves performed as a group?

MH: Many of the encounters are a lot easier if you work together with friends. For example, one person can draw enemies out while the others flank. Then, we've got a cooperative revival mechanic that we're going to talk more about later. And of course, there are the complementary cooperative abilities – for instance, where one character can freeze enemies, which then sets someone else up for a special finishing move, and so on.

Q: How long will the campaign take to complete?

MH: An experienced gamer can complete a fast play through in 6-8 hours; someone who wants to explore the entire world, defeat all the challenges, find all of the secrets, and really tweak the heck out of their character will take much, much longer. And then there is a scoring model and leaderboards that should keep people playing for even longer.

Q: You've announced that the game will include three classes. Could we see more added post-release via DLC?

MH: We're not ready to announce anything about DLC yet... But I will mention that XBLA is perfect for offering new content, and that we all love the idea of keeping the adventure alive with new content for months or years after launch. We want to build a community who love to play together...

Q: Crimson Alliance is coming to XBLA. We've already seen Torchlight hit the service and from the outside this looks very similar. Is there room for both?

MH: Definitely. They are very different games. Plenty of room for both! :)

Q: There seems to be a growing number of XBLA games targeting hardcore gamers, whereas retail releases are becoming increasingly mainstream and casual focused. Is XBLA the place to go for gamers displeased by the impact of Wii, Kinect and Move on their hobby?

MH: XBLA seems like a great place for gamers of all types! Crimson Alliance definitely has a certain old-school vibe that we believe many gamers will appreciate, but that doesn't detract from its accessibility. In some ways, it's an homage to some of the games of old that we love, but in a format that old and new gamers, and even non-gamers can all pick up and play and have fun with immediately.

Q: Do you know what price the game is going to sell for?

MH: Not yet.

Q: Will the game be part of Microsoft's Summer of Arcade promotion?

MH: No comment :)

One more screen:
crimson_alliance_2.jpg

The game looks rough. I wish they released an SS of the action. Also, 6hrs? :(

Icarus

I'd prefer loot but Certain Affinity is great (Age of Booty is fun is hell) so I'm willing to give them some benefit of the doubt.

Elixist

I forgot about this and just randomly saw the trailer on youtube. This game looks hot! Should be fun as hell in some local co op.

Top Bottom