• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata has developed quite the fan art following already *Keep it SFW*

LotusHD

Banned
I thought when this thread was made we agreed to keep it SFW; no scenes of full penetration

Lmao, I'm so sorry

---

1dp4yqL.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now I finally have a nier avatar worth a damn thanks thread.

PBalfredo

source

source

source

Below were ones I found when I fell down a fanart hole that led to Japanese Twitter. I'll source them to the best of my ability, but without being able to read Japanese might muddle who was the original artist versus who just retweeted.

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

LotusHD

Banned
I find it kinda amazing how the fandom is pretty much unanimous with the 2b x 9s ship.

Well this is the rare game where for once it's relatively straightforward instead of it being something the shippers want to see happen, so yea

Until Operator 6O comes and kills 9S so she can have 2B all to herself.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well this is the rare game where for once it's relatively straightforward instead of it being something the shippers want to see happen, so yea

Until Operator 6O comes and kills 9S so she can have 2B all to herself.

"straight forward" :p

LotusHD

Banned

Well... Ya got me there lmao

I just meant "straight forward" in that it wasn't something that shippers just wished would happen. You got 9S clearly pressed over 2B, and 2B herself has fallen for him as well, though the love on her side was a bit more difficult to ascertain at first until looking through the spoiler thread lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh no, I agree, it's just that most fandoms I know of have some shipping wars going on even when the main pairing is pretty obvious.

PBalfredo

Heh.

In-universe complexity of their relationship aside, 2B+9S is a very focused and authored love story whereas many games that feature romance do so as an "option".

This also reminds me of the thread not too long ago about how relatively scarce it is for games to feature female protagonists who are actively interested in relationships, especially het ones. Automata can be added to the list of games that does exactly that.

I find it kinda amazing how the fandom is pretty much unanimous with the 2b x 9s ship.

I think part of it is that 2B and 9S's relationship is very complicated and has many sides to it,by virtue of the predicament in which it had formed. You get funny buddy cop shenanigans when they talk, since 2B is so straight laced and serious and 9S is the informal, funny one. Since they're soldiers working together, they've also got battle couple appeal and you get to see plenty of scenarios where they'll protect or support each other. They get very worked up if one or the other is in danger, so that indicates a lot of trust and concern.

Concerning 9S... when route C hits,you see them do everything they can to save each other, and then
2B tragically dies. After this, 9S is motivated by his grief and longing and he starts out looking like a lovelorn, vengeance driven figure. By the end, his motivations get challenged when he pieces together that 2B was assigned to execute him whenever he got to close to the truth of their organization. Then, 9S's actions become the unruly expressions of hurt at the betrayal of a trusted friend, resentment at his constant killer and terrible grief for the death of someone he loved in spite of everything. It's not healthy, but it sure as hell turns heads. So you get the appeal of lovers on opposing sides that came together despite the odds, and the lurid spectacle of someone imploding from their intense, complicated feelings.

On 2B's side, due to being a fighting android, her life before 9S was likely filled with constant killing. Jackass mentions that androids are supposed to find fulfillment in their bloodlust, but her relationship with 9S gives her something more- an emotional connection. Whenever they meet, he always has a lot of concern for her, and is always trying to get her to connect with him on a personal level. The Memory Cage shows that 2B admires that 9S loves to learn and appreciates that he wants to share what he loves with her, even if she doesn't show it. Interacting with him causes her to feel new feelings she's never felt before.

So I don't think the ship's popularity has to really do with its forthrightness, but more about its intensity, complexity and versatility. A lot of romance in media is fairly straightforward, but the scenarios from which they emerge are usually mundane or cliche. They lack emotional "oomph", so you'll see fans gravitate to ships that center around more intense feelings, because it's more interesting.

As far as my Drakenier shipping experience goes...well, I don't think romance was always Taro's thing.
I only like WeissNier and AngelCaim. Lord help me.
But considering Nier: Automata, this is when their relationship really started to stick out to me. In the prologue, when they're surrounded by all those Engels, it shows them absolving to die side by side, smiling as they clink their explosive hearts together like a pair of wine glasses. They can stare death in the face and with good humour, as long as they're together. That's a high level of dedication and faith between people who've "just met", so I thought it was intriguing. Then it was Yoko Taro's wild ride from that point onward.

LotusHD

Banned
I think part of it is that 2B and 9S's relationship is very complicated and has many sides to it,by virtue of the predicament in which it had formed. You get funny buddy cop shenanigans when they talk, since 2B is so straight laced and serious and 9S is the informal, funny one. Since they're soldiers working together, they've also got battle couple appeal and you get to see plenty of scenarios where they'll protect or support each other. They get very worked up if one or the other is in danger, so that indicates a lot of trust and concern.

Concerning 9S... when route C hits,you see them do everything they can to save each other, and then
2B tragically dies. After this, 9S is motivated by his grief and longing and he starts out looking like a lovelorn, vengeance driven figure. By the end, his motivations get challenged when he pieces together that 2B was assigned to execute him whenever he got to close to the truth of their organization. Then, 9S's actions become the unruly expressions of hurt at the betrayal of a trusted friend, resentment at his constant killer and terrible grief for the death of someone he loved in spite of everything. It's not healthy, but it sure as hell turns heads. So you get the appeal of lovers on opposing sides that came together despite the odds, and the lurid spectacle of someone imploding from their intense, complicated feelings.

On 2B's side, due to being a fighting android, her life before 9S was likely filled with constant killing. Jackass mentions that androids are supposed to find fulfillment in their bloodlust, but her relationship with 9S gives her something more- an emotional connection. Whenever they meet, he always has a lot of concern for her, and is always trying to get her to connect with him on a personal level. The Memory Cage shows that 2B admires that 9S loves to learn and appreciates that he wants to share what he loves with her, even if she doesn't show it. Interacting with him causes her to feel new feelings she's never felt before.

So I don't think the ship's popularity has to really do with its forthrightness, but more about its intensity, complexity and versatility. A lot of romance in media is fairly straightforward, but the scenarios from which they emerge are usually mundane or cliche. They lack emotional "oomph", so you'll see fans gravitate to ships that center around more intense feelings, because it's more interesting.

As far as my Drakenier shipping experience goes...well, I don't think romance was always Taro's thing.
I only like WeissNier and AngelCaim. Lord help me.
But considering Nier: Automata, this is when their relationship really started to stick out to me. In the prologue, when they're surrounded by all those Engels, it shows them absolving to die side by side, smiling as they clink their explosive hearts together like a pair of wine glasses. They can stare death in the face and with good humour, as long as they're together. That's a high level of dedication and faith between people who've "just met", so I thought it was intriguing. Then it was Yoko Taro's wild ride from that point onward.

Well said.

I like how even in the fan art thread, we can't help but want to discuss this lol

Top Bottom