• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

Camjo-Z

gOia6zG.png

Developer / Publisher: Playtonic / Team17
Genre: 3D Collectathon Platformer
Platforms: PC / Mac / Linux / Xbox One / PS4 / Nintendo Switch (at a later date)
Release Date: April 11th, 2017
Price: $39.99 / £34.99

UYdFNmm.png

After a wildly successful Kickstarter in 2015, former staff members of legendary developer Rare have come together to create a true spiritual successor to the beloved Banjo-Kazooie series! Over 80,000 people put their money where their mouth is to make this game happen, and it's finally here.

• New heroes Yooka and Laylee team up to put a stop to the nefarious machinations of Capital B and his sidekick Dr. Quack. Alongside a wacky supporting cast including mutated scientist Dr. Puzz, sentient minecart Kartos, and low-poly dinosaur Rextro Sixtyfourus, Yooka-Laylee's characters will continue to appear in future Playtonic games with the intention of creating a shared universe much like Diddy Kong Racing did back in 1997 with its inclusion of Banjo and Conker.

• Renowned Rare composers Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, and Steve Burke join forces to create the ultimate dream-team soundtrack. Each one scores their area of expertise - Grant on the world themes, Wise on the DKC-inspired mine cart segments, and Burke on the arcade minigames. They each do a boss theme or two as well!

• All of the Banjo hallmarks you know and love make an appearance - gibberish voices, speech impediments, copious amounts of puns, wacky transformations, loads of collectibles, and a hub world packed with secrets.

• There are 5 worlds to explore in Yooka-Laylee, each with the ability to be expanded to contain even more areas and challenges. These can also be tackled in a somewhat non-linear fashion - do you decide to expand worlds, or move on to see some new sights and collect new moves before returning? The choice is yours.

• New ”Play Tonics" allow players to augment their play style in various ways. Want to take less fall damage, have your power meter to last a little longer, or just see what the world looks like with 64-bit graphics? Complete tasks for nightmare-inducing vending machine Vendi and you can get a tonic to do just that.

• Looking for a multiplayer fix? Yooka-Laylee offers a Super Mario Galaxy style local co-op mode where Player 2 can join in as the Bee Team to collect quills, store butterflies, and stop traps. In addition, a Banjo-Tooie esque multiplayer mode where you and 3 friends can face off in 8 different minigames is included.

• There's a new DK Rap. ‘Nuff said.

so3BhMm.png

2CLDi6c.png

Yooka-Laylee Review Thread

Q: How's the performance?

A: The PC version runs at 60 FPS, while the console versions run at 30 FPS. A patch was also released before the game's launch to further improve performance issues highlighted in reviews.

Q: Where's the Nintendo Switch version?

A: The release date is still TBD, though Playtonic says they're working as fast as they can to get the game to fans.

Q: What's this JonTron "controversy" I've heard about?

A: Popular YouTuber JonTron's voice was in the game. He said some racist stuff and as a result his voice was removed in a patch.

Q: Where's the orchestral score, 64-bit shader mode, and dev commentary?

A: Playtonic couldn't get them done in time, so they'll be added in another post-release update.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Been completely out of the loop since I backed it on Kickstarter so I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store. Downloading now!

Amir0x

Banned
hah the header makes me giggle. Nicely done, but it makes Yooka Laylee look like sub characters to the Snake Indiana Jones hehe

angelic

Banned
1. A tiger/big cat of sorts
2. Stop N' Swop
3. Banjo-Kazoie: Grunty's Revenge
4. Three (Diddy Kong Racing, Nuts & Bolts, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing)
5. Jet Force Gemini

Did I win?

You gave everyone the answers if that's what you mean.

chadskin

I'd love to get this on PS4 Pro due to rest mode but if it's limited to 30fps on there I think I'll have to pick it up on PC instead. :/

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wait. Yooka is a male? I always assumed they were both females! Mind = blown.

I'm getting this on PC, which is a platform in dire need of... well, platforms.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Been looking forward to this for the longest time, a Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor and a Mario 64 spiritual successor in a single year, what a time to be alive.

Still anxiously awaiting Switch news, I plan on buying my Switch alongside Yooka-Laylee, so the wait is killing me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd love to get this on PS4 Pro due to rest mode but if it's limited to 30fps on there I think I'll have to pick it up on PC instead. :/

It is. All console versions are capped at 30fps and Playtonic gave a very non-committal answer when asked about Pro support back in February:

Are there any plans for a PS4 Pro upgrade to the game?
I don't believe we've spoken about that, no.

The best you're going to get on the Pro -- for now, at least -- is a more consistent 30fps when using Boost Mode.

It is. All console versions are capped at 30fps and Playtonic gave a very non-committal answer when asked about Pro support back in February:

The best you're going to get on the Pro -- for now, at least -- is a more consistent 30fps when using Boost Mode.

I really don't know if Unity has already released tools to developers in the case someone would want to make adjustments to their game on the PS4 Pro. Might indeed be more about Unity than the developer.

Cronen

Submitted my answers to the questions, but I see that you're in the process of changing them. Let me know if you need me to resubmit!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What were the original questions?

I got it on saturday and I'm enjoying it a great deal. The first eight hours were fantastic for me as a Banjo fan and though I have experienced some of the issues that were brought up in reviews, I felt they all were minor
- the camera control really is not optimal, but on the other hand it has never really interfered with my success in the game or my enjoyment of it. Still, there is obvious room for improvement
- the first Rextro game is shit. The other two that I have played (worlds 2 and 3) are inoffensive mini games though where I don't see how they could bother anyone. They are not highlights of the game (Rextro as a character is, though), but they are still fun. Since each game took me at most six minutes (which amounts to three rounds; two are required for each game, so they are easy, as well), I don't see why anyone would get worked up about that. If the fourth and fifth minigame are comparable, we are talking about thirty minutes of mini games somewhere in the game that are obviously optional if you do not aim for 100% completion, anyway
- the worlds feel very large at the beginning, but I feel it is quite easy to get a hold of them fast and to find every spot you are looking for quickly.
- Framerate: Well, sometimes it stutters, has not interfered with my gameplay so far, I have seen much worse. Definitely not optimal though, I would have preferred significantly weaker graphics and constant 60 fps in turn.

Everyone who loves Banjo can look forward to at least eight great hours, even if everything from here on out were to be the ultimate shitfest.

Harmen

I have massive nostalgia for N64 Rare, so despite the reviews and despite my reservations I will definitely check this one out at some point. I have criticized this game's looks but it has grown on me over time by looking at more footage and hearing/reading people talk about it.

Regardless of how I may end up liking it, I do hope this game will become a success so that the developers can improve on the basis they have here, because it looks like it holds a lot of potential. That, and we need more mascot platformers.

mrmickfran

Was looking forward to this game, but I'm too busy with Persona at the moment.

Will probably get it when it releases on Switch.

Valahart

Can't believe it took someone 5 minutes to f up the cool trivia questions.

EDIT: if I answered the question before the answers were gave away, do I need to do it again?

Nesther

So just got my PS4 copy. Went into it expecting a framerate crawl, bad controls and camera. None of that is true so far. Really loving it, the cutscenes are just as funny as Banjo used to be. So glad I backed this!

hEist

started download @playstation from work, can't wait to come home.
any information/user experience regarding boost mode on ps4pro?

Camjo-Z

OK, the trivia questions have been changed. The 4 people who answered before I changed them are good, everyone else has to answer the new questions!

Can't believe it took someone 5 minutes to f up the cool trivia questions.

It's OK, I've known Dinoman for years. I expect this from him now.

I got it on saturday and I'm enjoying it a great deal. The first eight hours were fantastic for me as a Banjo fan and though I have experienced some of the issues that were brought up in reviews, I felt they all were minor
- the camera control really is not optimal, but on the other hand it has never really interfered with my success in the game or my enjoyment of it. Still, there is obvious room for improvement
- the first Rextro game is shit. The other two that I have played (worlds 2 and 3) are inoffensive mini games though where I don't see how they could bother anyone. They are not highlights of the game (Rextro as a character is, though), but they are still fun. Since each game took me at most six minutes (which amounts to three rounds; two are required for each game, so they are easy, as well), I don't see why anyone would get worked up about that. If the fourth and fifth minigame are comparable, we are talking about thirty minutes of mini games somewhere in the game that are obviously optional if you do not aim for 100% completion, anyway
- the worlds feel very large at the beginning, but I feel it is quite easy to get a hold of them fast and to find every spot you are looking for quickly.
- Framerate: Well, sometimes it stutters, has not interfered with my gameplay so far, I have seen much worse. Definitely not optimal though, I would have preferred significantly weaker graphics and constant 60 fps in turn.

Everyone who loves Banjo can look forward to at least eight great hours, even if everything from here on out were to be the ultimate shitfest.

Good to hear! The wait for the Switch port will be tough :(

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Excitement!
Really looking forward to playing this. I love 3D Platformers.

Beautiful OT, Camjo-Z. Great job.

Think I'll just preorder this on the PS4 and if I really like it, grab it on the Switch later this year. I would prefer it on the Switch but with no Switch gameplay or news or anything, I am not expecting a release until Q4.

I was pretty stoked about this during the Kickstarter, but after reading the reviews and seeing videos... nope. Too much nostalgia, too little good game.

"This is a game made for Rare fans... It's made for anybody who was a fan of Rare, espacially in the mid to late 90's. So with all due respect to all the critics who have been slagging it off, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Yooka-Laylee. If you have any issues with it, if this is just an incomprehensible experience for you, then I can politely say that this is not the game or genre for you..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agIYgoFk-n0

maxcriden

Awesome OT Camjo! Thanks a ton for making it! And, very generous of you to do the giveaway!

No footage of the Switch version is not a good sign...

It's still in development and isn't coming out yet (all we know is it's coming this year and they're trying to get it out ASAP) so I wouldn't take that as anything concerning as of yet.

Top Bottom