• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era: Microsoft is planning to kill off Paint after 32 years

Oh, if it's just a program upgrade it doesn't really count as killing Paint and saying it was 32 years old, does it.

Before Paint there was Paintbrush, and I was there too as I child.

microsoft-paint-windows-98-136398854913902601

Paint only shipped since Windows 95, and was a pretty big overhaul. It's "just" 22 years old.

Ah, memories flooding back of spending lunchtimes in the school IT lab, creating works of art with the spray tool.

Shout out as well to PaintSpa, which had textured colours.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oh, if it's just a program upgrade it doesn't really count as killing Paint and saying it was 32 years old, does it.

Paint only shipped since Windows 95, and was a pretty big overhaul. It's "just" 22 years old.

But the original Windows 1.0 program was just called "Paint."

I'm pretty sure that Win3.x was the only version that had a different name.

clav

Hermii

I remember paintbrush too.

UltraJay

Paint is still going to be there. You will still be able to load it. Plus cropping and stuff can be done with the normal Win10 image viewer.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ok, so clickbait bullshit.

But, MS, that does not mean you should not ditch outlook express, and eventually Outlook.
That shit needs to die.

Xe4

Banned
Woah, RIP. End of a fucking era indeed. I still use paint (or the equivalent program on linux) to do simple stuff all the time. Mostly cropping screen grabs and stuff, but still. I hope there's a program to replace it.

Edit: Nevermind, lol.

Jezbollah

Paint isnt going anywhere. Just read a few posts up to see that it's going into the Windows store to be available for free.

outlook proper could very well outlive all of us

Indeed. It's the primary corporate email client for Windows. If anything, Word, Excel and Outlook are Microsoft's most used applications on a global scale.

What does this even mean. Why does it need to be on any store when it's already built in to Windows?

How about it not being in future versions of Windows? Think about it.

What does this even mean. Why does it need to be on any store when it's already built in to Windows?
It's not going to be in later Windows updates. It is not going to get any updates for the program itself. They are moving over to Paint 3D. This move to put it on the Windows Store is just because of the coverage I think. Nobody really gives a damn in the end, but it is better then saying: yeah, it's gone.

Mindwipe

Being on the Windows Store is just as bad as just scrapping it entirely.

Christ, the entire point of Paint is that it's always available even on corporate machines that are locked down and do not allow app installation. If it's in the store then that doesn't apply!

Alx

Yeah, been using Paint.net for quick editing jobs for like a decade now, so this isn't really affecting me. Didn't know that so many people still used MS Paint.

Same, Paint.net is just as fast and simple as regular Paint, only with a few more convenient features (like layers).
Anyway one could hope that Paint3D will also be useful for doing "Paint2D" stuff.
*edit - lol, didn't realize I had Paint 3D installed already. After a quick try it seems just as functional as old Paint, you just need to get used to the "big icons" interface (not too fond of it right now, but it's expected after decades of using the old one).

DarkTom

I nerver uses it, I won't personally miss it.

For screenshots quick editing just try Screenpresso one time and never go back.

Jonnax

Paint 3D lags a bit compared to Paint Original =/

Is this a case of shitty replacement getting no traction so kill the thing that people use.

That's shitty. I use Paint all the time for super quick cropping, screenshots, or adding text to stuff. Basic things but it loads instantly and is so simple it makes it faster.

The good news then is that the welcome screen right when you open the app has an easy shortcut for you that pastes and auto resizes the canvas to fit the exact dimensions of the image

That's shitty. I use Paint all the time for super quick cropping, screenshots, or adding text to stuff. Basic things but it loads instantly and is so simple it makes it faster.

Same here. I find it really useful for work. I am going to be sad when the work computers are switched to Windows 10 however far in the future.

Everybody quit your whining. Internet overeacts as usual.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/24/ms-paint-stay/#jLpK422yQ4H2UQ1r.97

Someone update the thread title.

I mean, this still confirms they'll no longer be updating Paint right, and only update Paint 3D? And to top it off, Paint will probably no longer come with the next version of Windows, only Paint 3D... so for people to use Paint, they'll have to track it down on the Windows store. Does anyone even use the Windows store?

Seems like the OP isn't exaggerating at all: Paint development is dead and it probably won't be included with new Windows editions.

entremet

I mean, this still confirms they'll no longer be updating Paint right, and only update Paint 3D? And to top it off, Paint will probably no longer come with the next version of Windows, only Paint 3D... so for people to use Paint, they'll have to track it down on the Windows store. Does anyone even use the Windows store?

Seems like the OP isn't exaggerating at all: Paint development is dead and it probably won't be included with new Windows editions.

Many applications end active development but are still usable. This is nothing new. Besides, Paint enthusiasts don't seem to want it messed around with anyway, so no need to continue development.

Point is, you can still install Paint if you want it.

Mindwipe

Many applications end active development but are still usable. This is nothing new. Besides, Paint enthusiasts don't seem to want it messed around with anyway, so no need to continue development.

Point is, you can still install Paint if you want it.

Unless you're on a corporate machine and can't install anything.

Which is the primarily circumstance in which you'd use paint in the first place.

Alx

Unless you're on a corporate machine and can't install anything.

Which is the primarily circumstance in which you'd use paint in the first place.

Can't you ask your IT to include it in the common configuration ? I mean I doubt they'd frown upon a basic image editor.

What the hell is the point of removing it when they went through the trouble of shipping it with 10 in the first place? Just leave it be and get rid of it in the next OS.

Wait so they are removing it? surely they can just keep it then don't ship it with the next OS.

Seriously.

FyreWulff

Everybody quit your whining. Internet overeacts as usual.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/24/ms-paint-stay/#jLpK422yQ4H2UQ1r.97

Someone update the thread title.

Not surprised after I saw Paint 3D.

EDIT: Oh, click bait BS, meh.

Ok, so clickbait bullshit.

But, MS, that does not mean you should not ditch outlook express, and eventually Outlook.
That shit needs to die.

A notice posted on Microsoft's own website wasn't clickbait, lmao.

Microsoft reversed course after the public protest.

Slime

Banned

Growing up, there was a big chunk of my childhood where the only things I did on the computer were draw things in Paintbrush and play weird shareware games my dad brought home from work.

End of en era. :(

EDIT: Or not. :lol

Top Bottom