• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry...me too, common movie lines that annoy you

SMG

"Don't you see?" followed by an impatient explanation is reasonable enough. So, no, I don't see the problem with this one. ;)
To me it always seems like the writer going back and making sure even the slowest viewer is on the right page. IE
' Don't you see? The monster was laying it's eggs in the corpses the whole time. '
Or
' Don't you see? He was using your joint account to funnel funds from his arms dealing operations. '

"I didn't think..."
*interrupts* "Yeah, you didn't."

Or variations of that. It's not clever, it's just rude and childish.

"How long will it take to fix?"
"Maybe 24 hours"
"You've got 12."

"How bad is it?"
"You don't want to know."

"I need _____, and I need it yesterday!"

"I'm not scared."
"You will be."

Female Character: Why won't you let me do [thing]? I bet it's cause I'm a woman!

Male character: No. It's because [reason].

Female Character: [defeated facial expressions]

Whenever I hear this type of exchange in a film I feel like the writer said "that'll show them!" as he wrote the lines.

Female Character: Why won't you let me do [thing]? I bet it's cause I'm a woman!
Male character: No. It's because [reason].
Female Character: [defeated facial expressions]
Whenever I hear this type of exchange in a film I feel like the writer said "that'll show them!" as he wrote the lines.
Not sure if that exchange ever bothered me in particular when I heard it because if it's not used in a fitting context, Mission Undermine Female Character sure don't start or stop there. It's kind of like, if you're driving through Ohio so of course you're busting your ass to GTFO of Ohio, you don't stop and go, "Dayton! Now that's the last straw!"

Pisses me off less than, while it's not a line, it seems early on in any plot Faux Action Girl always has to attack a man unprovoked to prove her toughness cred. Usually the man says something stupid to "deserve it" just before getting hurt so it's not like I feel sympathy for the character, but it's almost always a sure sign that the Faux Action Girl is in fact Faux Action Girl and will accomplish nothing of importance, ever. Not to mention it doesn't even accomplish the intent. It doesn't prove she's tough; all it does is show poor impulse control.
"If you kill him, you're no better than he is!"
Oh sweet FSM you're right and this is what this thread is all about but I do wish you hadn't mentioned that.
In anime/JRPGs: "I'll do my best!"
This is a translation quirk; "ganbarimasu" is basically a casual formality for which English has no convenient equivalent.

Wrong hole!

Screen_shot_2012-05-10_at_4.38.30_PM.png

GRW810

Character gives detailed explanation about a very specific topic that they previously expressed no knowledge of.

*all other characters shoot a bemused look*

Character nonchalantly gives random explanation for knowledge.

Example:

Character: "This looks like the work of the Xabitha tribe, who originated from Blahblahland in the 14th century. Note the distinct markings."

*everyone else stares*

Character: "What? Oh, I took a night school course in ancient civilisations in between my police work."

For night school, also see university minor, read a book or "I had a family member/friend who knew about this."

I really don't need justification for a character knowing things. I'm quite happy to accept characters acquire general knowledge and intellectual tidbits like everyone in real life.

Another that irks me:

Minor character: "That piece of jewellery is incredible, it must be worth £100,000!

Know-it-all main character: "£103,452 actually.

Or:

Secondary character: "That building must be 50ft high!"

Know-it-all main character: "52ft and 3in to be precise."

It doesn't impress me. It makes the main character look like a jerk for being a smart ass and stealing someone else's thunder after a very close estimate.

Raziel

*refer to someone as "[insert race] person"*

"We don't say that anymore, it's ___ American."

*pause for audience laughter*

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
To me it always seems like the writer going back and making sure even the slowest viewer is on the right page. IE
' Don't you see? The monster was laying it's eggs in the corpses the whole time. '
Or
' Don't you see? He was using your joint account to funnel funds from his arms dealing operations. '
Ah, yeah I can see (heehee) how that could be annoying.

DMVfan123

Banned
Not really a line, but the point in a film when the main character makes a mistake and his girlfriend or his friends leave him and we have to spend 10-20 minutes of filler of the guy trying to get back in good graces when we all know they're gonna get back together again

Opto

Banned
The wilhelm scream ruins scenes for me. I'd rather it be the sound editor just yelling through a tin can than hear it again

Decider

Unnatural exposition. I don't have a particular line that comes to mind. But nothing annoys me more then two characters who explain their situation or motivation to each other for the benefit of the viewer. It's lazy, and uninspired.

I'm particularly irritated by the sort of unnatural exposition that happens if a character needs to suddenly move to another location for the purposes of the plot, so they decide to film something like a car arriving at said location with a rushed voiceover explaining why they've gone there.

I first noticed it in Hannibal, when a car is filmed arriving at Paul Krendler's summer house and he appears in a quick voiceover, leaving a message for his secretary to tell her (and the audience) where he's going. It felt shoehorned into the story.
At least they didn't have the camera cut to family photographs in the living room to explain where Hannibal and Clarice were.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Since all the other ones I came in to post were already posted, this isn't a specific line per se, it's usually a variant of lines, but:

When Character A is trying to get Character B to open up about their secret, and Character A is sooo cloooose.... to getting it out of them

Character A: So what really happened? You know everything you tell me stays with me, right?

Character B: *pauses* Forget it, I better get going....

Then an hour later in the movie they tell them in a super emotional scene.

"Because of Love, Harry. Love" - Dumbledore in the 1st Harry Potter movie to Harry

I got a HUGE beef with having deus ex machine being the 'power of love' and that it can trumps all.

Really clunky dialogue where it's far too obvious that the characters are speaking to the audience, not each other.

"Where is it?"
"The Clean Slate? Where you type in someone's name, date of birth... in a few minutes they're gone. Every piece of data on earth."

Thanks, dude that Catwoman is threatening. That's really helpful information for me, the viewer. Not sure why you're telling Catwoman this though.

This thread is fascinating to me since I'm writing a novel and trying my hardest to avoid cliches. Luckily, it seems like I've avoided pretty much every single one mentioned in this thread (except for a brief "I'm sorry" followed by "So am I", but I feel like it's earned), but there are numerous others that most of us just forget about. MS Word is actually pretty good at noticing these and warning you that you're writing a cliche, which is helpful.

Oh, and let me just add my vote for "we're not so different, you and I". It's one of the most lazy bad guy quotes ever, and it's pretty much never correct or thought-provoking the way the quote implies that it should be.

Kenstar

What about that nod and grunt that every female character in every piece of Japanese media does?

Followed by slowly closing and opening her eyes?

it's 'un' and means yes or ok or an affirmative and you can say it without moving your mouth similar to our 'mhm'

Male character and Female character who have secret crushes on each other slowly lean in to kiss for the first time in a room alone

oblivious Friend character interrupts by busting in room immediately spouting some random information or "You guys should come see this" not noticing the two characters that were obviously about to make

Love birds try to play it off and decide to let that kiss wait until the plot is resolved or one of them starts dying. whichever comes first

Top Bottom