• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FB worker living in garage to Zuckerberg: challenges are right outside your door

California is a politically broken state, the problem is anything within 2 hours of SF or LA.

Bullshit.

Most other states given the same situation and abundance of high paying jobs would also be full of NIMBYs protecting their real estate for a future sale and fucking over the poor.

It's American nature.

Wereroku

It also claims they're not making enough for the employer insurance which you would expect to be cheaper than the state plans. Each spouse should be able to get their own plan--it's probably the cost of the children causing it to skyrocket for one of them.

Actually occasionally the employer insurance is more expensive because they have higher cost plans.

How would you fix their current issue? just curious...

If I was Zuck? I would probably move the HQ out of San Francisco and bring the employees with me. However that would require them to employee these service workers themselves.

Hale-XF11

They earn too much to qualify for state healthcare, but not enough to afford the health insurance offered by their employer.

Welcome to the middle-lower class, where some of us have been living like this for nearly a decade now.

You're making tons of assumptions in everything you post - what makes you think their parents aren't working full time to afford their home?

The kids are currently in school. They can figure out an option until the parents get home if the grandparents aren't available

otakukidd

I have got to ask the question. Are Victor's parents charging them rent AND making their grandchildren live in a fucking garage. What the hell.

shandy706

The cost of living in that area must be something else. Where I live that 19 bucks/hour would be considered good where I live (Finland).

In the South East US, that's career pay. That's a $150,000-$200,000 house with 3-4 bedrooms, and enough left to go on a couple vacations. 🤔

The kids are currently in school. They can figure out an option until the parents get home if the grandparents aren't available

You have no earthly idea how expensive child care is.

How is that trolling? Seriously get someone to drop the kids to the grandparents till they get home from work

Because you're suggest three small children endure a six hour daily commute while also not factoring that they have school, activities, doctors appointments, dental appointments, etc etc.

Asking for enough money to not live in a garage is entitlement now.

In Palo Alto? Yea, it is. She could be buying her own house in Oakley, Vallejo, or Richmond on that salary. But she wants a short commute. Yes, it's entitled to think you should be able to live anywhere you want, in any neighborhood, at $20/hr

Wereroku

The employer gets fined though if the employee chooses the exchange over what the employer is offering.

I am just saying where I work it is more expensive to get the family plan through work then to have a separate policy just for them. So that might be the case for that family as well.

clav

It also claims they're not making enough for the employer insurance which you would expect to be cheaper than the state plans. Each spouse should be able to get their own plan--it's probably the cost of the children causing it to skyrocket for one of them.

Some work places over there have really shitty insurance plans. High deductibles and offer HSAs to deduct from taxes.

Some people don't see doctors still because cost is really high. Employer only decides to cover after individual exceeds deductible.

Overseas interns always ask, "What is a deductible?"

You have no earthly idea how expensive child care is.

They might not need it if the grandparents can help out after school. There are also cheap nannies that can pass that timeframe as well. I have 3 kids myself. I definitely know how much it costs in general. I still don't see you providing any solution to their problem. Just you criticizing my posts.

tarheel91

Actually in the article it says it is a detached garage next to his parents but it doesn't actually say it is the parents garage. I would assume it is the parent's but they are probably still paying them some rent to at least cover the utility costs.

So a couple hundred bucks at most between water and electricity then? With no A/C (or need for it because of the Bay's paradise-tier weather) or anything the bill can't be that high. Again, how are they struggling to make ends meet with such seemingly reasonable housing costs. If they were struggling to make ends meet living in a tiny ass hole in the wall that they would still pay a ridiculous amount for, this is all classic Bay area and exemplifies the whole issue with gentrification/tech invasion. But they can't be paying that much to live there. Their kids are all old enough to be in school, so there's no day care costs either. Something doesn't add up.

If I had to guess, it's probably debt of some sort with a crazy interest rate.

Deepwater

"well why don't they just..."

yes, because having to live their lives 24/7 they have not thought of possible solutions to their problems. Thank you internet commenter for suggesting what seems like an obvious solution to their problems. Sometimes poor people are just so dumb that they simply meander through poverty without taking time to stop and think of solutions.

They might not need it if the grandparents can help out after school. There are also cheap nannies that can pass that timeframe as well. I have 3 kids myself. I definitely know how much it costs in general. I still don't see you providing any solution to their problem. Just you criticizing my posts.

The grandparents who, if they moved, are hours and hours away.

So you either need to take the kids on a multi-hour commute every single day, hope you get lucky and find a cheap nanny that's qualified (good luck with that one), or just "fuck it they'll figure it out" essentially.

The solution is fucking simple, pay them a livable wage. That's the answer, that's the solution, that's how you fix it.

Deepwater

your solutions are dumb and devoid of any necessary proximity or context of their problems.

why not just trust them when they say they don't make enough?

Do you think it's good parenting to live far enough away so your kids can have a separate bedroom but you never see them because you spend 4 hours a day commuting?
On top of barely any time to see their kids, that would also leave them with barely any time to do basic chores or maintenance of the housing, meaning it would be an absolute wreck most of the time and thus not a great spot to raise kids. Like seriously. Assuming an 8 hour workday, a 3 hour transit one-way to work means they spend 14 hours each day outside of the house. Assuming they actually try to get 8 hours of sleep, that leaves them with 2 hours to not only hang out with their kids but somehow make sure that all the chores and basic maintenance of the house/apartment gets done. That obviously doesn't work that well.

Plus, that aside, it's such a short-sighted, completely unsustainable answer. Even if that worked for these parents, Facebook itself isn't going anywhere. Their HQ/buildings will remain exactly where they are, all while property values continue to go up and up and up around them. Thus, even if that works for now, for these particular parents, that will inevitably become unsustainable in the future for others. All "moving" suggestions really are is just kicking the ball down the road into the future. They don't actually fix or change anything whatsoever and just let the core problems get worse, and worse, and worse.

That so many people keep proposing them over and over again as if they do and absolutely refuse to apply even the slightest amount of thought or scrutiny to the actual core problems and just shrug their shoulders at them is baffling. No matter how many times people say "move, move, move," those problems aren't going away. All you're doing is sticking your fingers in your ears as they continue to get worse. I understand if someone doesn't have the answers and has no clue what they are--that's perfectly understandable. But that's no excuse to point out short-sighted, unsustainable answers that don't fix anything and to act like they do.

Pesmerga00

"well why don't they just..."

yes, because having to live their lives 24/7 they have not thought of possible solutions to their problems. Thank you internet commenter for suggesting what seems like an obvious solution to their problems. Sometimes poor people are just so dumb that they simply meander through poverty without taking time to stop and think of solutions.

This thread has me seething. Growing up poor, they don't think we thought of any of theses things?

Ottaro

How would you fix their current issue? just curious...
There is nothing I can do because Im not their employer.

When youre an employer, wherever you choose to headquarter yourself you need to expect to pay your employees a livable wage for that area.

You keep giving suggestions on what the family should do, why arent you holding their employer to the same standard of sacrifice?

The grandparents who, if they moved, are hours and hours away.

So you either need to take the kids on a multi-hour commute every single day, hope you get lucky and find a cheap nanny that's qualified (good luck with that one), or just "fuck it they'll figure it out" essentially.

The solution is fucking simple, pay them a livable wage. That's the answer, that's the solution, that's how you fix it.

Oh yea, it's so simple to pay cafeteria workers $200k/year (a liveable wage in Palo Alto), when they could instead just not live in a city that even highly paid tech workers can't afford

This article came off as a hitpiece on Facebook in a lot of ways. The bring your kids to work day, as an example. These cafe workers are NOT Facebook employees. You are nothing more than contracted work.

As someone who has worked contracted work embedded in for a corporation, this is how it is. The employees of that corporation are not going to include you. They are not going to care about you. You are not one of them. It sucks that these people have to experience what contracted work being embedded into a corporation is like, but this is just how it is everywhere. Their anger is simply misdirected; they need to go after their actual employer, Flagship Facility Services, (who is more than likely making humongous profits from this Facebook contract) and demand higher wages.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I'm the only one trying to provide a solution in this thread while getting bashed for it. I'll leave this as is and let you experts discuss a better solution than anything that I've provided in the thread.

Oh yea, it's so simple to pay cafeteria workers $100k/year (a liveable wage in Palo Alto), when they could instead just not live in a city that even highly paid tech workers can't afford

Every employee at every business should be paid a livable wage.

"They could just not live there" is not a fucking answer. That's blaming somebody for having the audacity to not make enough money to live within a reasonable distance of their place of employment.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I'm the only one trying to provide a solution in this thread while getting bashed for it. I'll leave this as is and let you experts discuss a better solution than anything that I've provided in the thread.

And this is why you're trolling.

No, you're not the only one that's proposed any kind of answer. Because the answer is easy.

Pay people so that they can afford to live where you hire them to work.

Theonik

I haven't lived in one of these expensive areas that people often talk about. I don't see how things could really be as expensive as people make out - as in, $90,000 a year being just enough to 'get by' in San Fransisco, or where ever.

I understand rent and mortage costs might be significantly higher in good areas of these cities, so let's say $2000 a month for a well-kept apartment in a safe area. So let's say $30,000 a year, just to even bump that up a bit.

Are utilities really 10x what they are in cheaper places to live? Groceries and stuff might be a little bit more expensive, but largely these kinds of things are standard across countries. I don't know how seriously to take the 'it's impossible to live on x salary in this city' stuff, but not having lived in these places, I don't really know, so I'd like to hear how this all adds up to $90,000 or there abouts being only just about a decent standard of living and not a shitload of money.

I'm not talking supporting a whole family btw, that's expensive anywhere. I just mean one person trying to keep themselves afloat.
I know friends that work in San Francisco that rent bedrooms for $2.5k

Zoe

"They could just not live there" is not a fucking answer. That's blaming somebody for having the audacity to not make enough money to live within a reasonable distance of their place of employment.

"Livable" is not a standard that can be satisfied solely by their employer. There's no reason they should earn more than a worker who has no children.

I'm going to assume you have no clue about the geography of the sf bay area. There are over 200 independent cities in the area, each home to just a few thousand people. Saying "don't live in Palo Alto" is like saying "don't live in Beverly Hills". With a 45 minute commute she could be buying a house.

$40/hr between the two of them is perfectly livable in the area, just not in the neighborhood she chooses to live in. I can't live in that neighborhood either, and I make way more than her. Instead of complaining that I don't make a liveable wage for this 5sq mile neighborhood, I just live somewhere else

I don't understand why people just think getting paid above the federal or state minimum wage is good enough.

What one SHOULD be asking is what the livable wage for that area. I don't think it's wrong to give an hourly wage that supports living in the area you are working in or in a place where one can reasonably go to and from work.

Asking to receive a wage that allows a family to not live in a garage should not be the exception, but the rule.

I'm going to assume you have no clue about the geography of the sf bay area. There are over 200 independent cities in the area, each home to just a few thousand people. Saying "don't live in Palo Alto" is like saying "don't live in Bel Air". With a 45 minute commute she could be buying a house.

$40/hr between the two of them is perfectly livable in the area, just not in the neighborhood she chooses to live in. I can't live in that neighborhood either, and I make way more than her. Instead of complaining that I don't make a liveable wage for this 5sq mile neighborhood, I just live somewhere else

Yeah. I work in SF, but my commute is one and a half to two hours one way. My wife and I make quite a lot more than her combined but the commute is just a sacrifice we have to make to be able to afford a condo

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
That's a pretty decent wage for what they do, honestly... a good 50% better than a lot of areas would pay the same.

It's a point where how much can employer afford to pay and still operate in the area.

If they had to pay everyone from the bottom up a wage that would pay rent equivalent to other areas, they'd have to move the company.

It's not entirely FB's fault that the bay is fucking insane with rent and housing prices.

But what this does show is that the impact of higher wages on the bottom end don't always equal benefits for the employees. Just as they are paid more for what they do than in other areas, it's enough to kick them off housing or medical assistance programs.

Ask how much they'd really need to make to cut it in that area... twice what they make? Is that feasible to pay it?

The entire Bay area is do for a huge market correction, and the area is so huge with so much outside investment it's going to be felt nationwide.

I don't understand why people just think getting paid above the federal or state minimum wage is good enough.

What one SHOULD be asking is what the livable wage for that area. I don't think it's wrong to give an hourly wage that supports living in the area you are working in or in a place where one can reasonably go to and from work.

Asking to receive a wage that allows a family to not live in a garage should not be the exception, but the rule.

What happens when there's 5 million people that all want to live in the same 20 sq mile area? If all of them made a "livable wage" for that area, prices just go up until they're not making a livable wage anymore. There literally is not enough housing for 5 million people. It simply doesn't exist. So instead you have to expand the search area and redefine "living wage" in terms of the expanded area. And she makes plenty to live in some parts of the Bay Area, I know multiple people who have bought their own houses on less

He's paying them a pittance to live in one of the most expensive areas in America.
To his defense..
Those works earn very little anywhere, the fact that they work in Facebook cafeteria does not imply anything..
Your work does not allow to live where you work?
Commute..
Commute is hell?
Change job..
Maybe when all the people working there will NOT be willing to work there things will change, but any other action is unlikely to have effects..

And this is why you're trolling.

No, you're not the only one that's proposed any kind of answer. Because the answer is easy.

Pay people so that they can afford to live where you hire them to work.

Nothing I stated was meant as trolling.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Every week weeks I lay awake at night wondering how nice it must be to have so much money that you never have to worry about a goddamn thing and can just enjoy life to its fullest.

Theonik

To his defense..
Those works earn very little anywhere, the fact that they work in Facebook cafeteria does not imply anything..
Your work does not allow to live where you work?
Commute..
Commute is hell?
Change job..
Maybe when all the people working there will NOT be willing to work there things will change, but any other action is unlikely to have effects..
The minimum wage is meant to solve this.

Goodlife

This article came off as a hitpiece on Facebook in a lot of ways. The bring your kids to work day, as an example. These cafe workers are NOT Facebook employees. You are nothing more than contracted work.

As someone who has worked contracted work embedded in for a corporation, this is how it is. The employees of that corporation are not going to include you. They are not going to care about you. You are not one of them. It sucks that these people have to experience what contracted work being embedded into a corporation is like, but this is just how it is everywhere. Their anger is simply misdirected; they need to go after their actual employer, Flagship Facility Services, (who is more than likely making humongous profits from this Facebook contract) and demand higher wages.

Or. You know, Facebook could bring them back in house

"Livable" is not a standard that can be satisfied solely by their employer. There's no reason they should earn more than a worker who has no children.
Paying them more simply because they have children isn't a great answer. However, I'm definitely not comfortable with the implication coming from a lot of posts in this thread and thread just like this one, where you apparently should only be able to have children if you're upper-middle class or upper class. No one's directly saying that, but it's implicit in all the posts that call such actions "irresponsible," which, while not directly saying that, only make says with the implication that their current income is insufficient and if it were higher it would be fine or responsible. It's basically just semantics and another way of saying only the upper classes who are fortunate enough to be rolling in the big bucks should be able to have large families, or even one child. It's not directly being said, but it's the logical end point of that train of thought.

I myself don't know what the answer is. It probably isn't something like having employers pay their employees more simply because they have more children. Some form of basic income or the like, from the government, that takes into account not just one's own situation but one's number of children would probably be better. But regardless, I'm definitely not comfortable with the status quo and the train of thoughts that either directly or implicitly carry the connotation that children should be some type of luxury that only the (upper-)middle and upper classes should have access to, and people should be shamed if they make the decision to have children while existing outside of those groups.

That's obviously inherently wrong on its face and while I don't know what the actual answer to that should be, the current status quo/train of thoughts of thought around that are absolutely not acceptable to me and another problem we should be working our hardest to tackle and solve. But alas, that's tremendously difficult, with no easy answers coming, and people would rather just bitch and moan and point fingers at "irresponsible" parents instead of putting in the work to fix difficult problems like that, if for no other reason than that is the right and moral thing to do. But alas.. *Sigh.*

I think anyone who actually lives here and has a functioning brain knows that the answer is to build an imperial fuckton of houses, but it'll never happen because "nimby motherfucker!" So instead it will just continue to be a broken system where the rich get richer despite the solution being completely obvious

I actually think the article is a little silly. Even along the peninsula if you really needed to, there are Mobile homes available around 150-250k. And that's not far from FB HQ.

On that note, FB is right next to the Dumbarton bridge. You can live in Pleasanton, Concord, even Livermore which are within an hour commute.

Obviously that doesn't address the fact that it's broken here in the SF Bay area due to nimbyism and broken ass pricing. That is of course a giant issue.

But my point is that here in the Silicon Valley, unless you are making metric shit tons of cash you better expect a commute. Mine is 1-2hrs one way and my wife and I make 6 figures. So unless you're making 250k+, you don't really have that luxury.

Goodlife

Didn't Porsche give every single employee a 9100 euro bonus last year cos they had a good year.

It fucking insane that a company like Fb, with its billions just sitting in a bank, don't pay each and every one of its employees at the very least a sensible wage.

Gallbaro

Banned
If you were a landowner, would you want to lose wealth or go under water on your mortgage? Who would?

When using political power to protect your personal wealth is contributing to and benefited from a tool of institutional racist, as well as creating homelessness, sure!

I know as I became rich, I pulled the ladder up behind me!

Bullshit.

Most other states given the same situation and abundance of high paying jobs would also be full of NIMBYs protecting their real estate for a future sale and fucking over the poor.

It's American nature.

Red States are better at this particular aspect than blue states.

Also people arguing "livable wage" more money will not solve this issue. Just create more money chasing after the same finite amount of bedrooms.

I'm being more than realistic. I'm not putting them down at all either. I've been in their situation and know what it's like. It's a small sacrifice in the bigger scope of things

Ok tell yourself whatever you have to to so you can feel superior to these people. This bootstrap mentality is toxic and you seem far to gone.

Top Bottom