• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker

If you go to skills than you will see where you can assign them to the mouse buttons or to the number keys after you've turned on Elective mode.

Unfortunately elective mode doesn't unlock your entire hotbar allowing you to put skills wherever you would like. This is one of my problems with the current setup. I really want the entire hotbar available from lvl 1.

What elective mode does do, is allow you to assign multiple skills from the same category at the same time. In default mode, you can only assign one primary, one secondary, etc. etc.

Went back in the game and I still have no clue what you guys are talking about...oh well,maybe I will figure it out when I have more levels...

Teknoman

Most digital CE aren't as exspensive as physical ones, often times only being like 10 bucks more then a normal digital purchase.

I'm not sure why there are even CE digital versions of games, seeing how most of what makes a CE is the physical stuff you get with it.

EDIT: I seriously cant see people wanting WASD movement in a Diablo game.

forrest

formerly nacire
Went back in the game and I still have no clue what you guys are talking about...oh well,maybe I will figure it out when I have more levels...

Hmm thought I was pretty clear. Without "Elective Mode" checked or turned on, you can only assign one skill from one category at a time. So for the demon hunter, I can only assign one skill from my primary skill category. Meaning I cannot use hungering arrow at the same time as bola shot. If I were to enable "elective mode" now I can "elect" which skill I want to use in combination with other skills. If I want to choose 4 primary spells and 2 secondary spells then that is my choice. The default way Blizzard wants you to select something from each category essentially because they basically think that is an easier path to a balanced build than letting people just go all willy nilly and choose for themselves.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Hmm thought I was pretty clear. Without "Elective Mode" checked or turned on, you can only assign one skill from one category at a time. So for the demon hunter, I can only assign one skill from my primary skill category. Meaning I cannot use hungering arrow at the same time as bola shot. If I were to enable "elective mode" now I can "elect" which skill I want to use in combination with other skills. If I want to choose 4 primary spells and 2 secondary spells then that is my choice. The default way Blizzard wants you to select something from each category essentially because they basically think that is an easier path to a balanced build than letting people just go all willy nilly and choose for themselves.

Are there any posts from the devs regarding this decision? I understand making things easier for casuals, but come on now.

Edit: Found it myself:

Bashiok said:
Well I wouldn’t say it’s hidden, and we have a loading screen tip that calls it out. We honestly didn’t want to continue adding things to the skill UI, and as a more advanced option it felt right for it to be found or learned about through ‘tribal knowledge’, as it were. We intend for the game to be played at first with the current set up, and if someone wants to try a more advanced option they can turn on Elective.

jj350

Banned
I freaking love the Diablo 3 beta! Great game, everything about is so perfect and what I am looking for in a PC game these days. It isn't too intense or dependent on reactions and environmental awareness which makes it a good game to play for long periods of time as well as quick sessions. The combat feels perfect, I love the level design, and everything about the game feels just the way a sequel to Diablo 2 should. I like the fact that the graphics aren't so over the top since that makes it an easily accessible and very enjoyable on my laptop, and considering the fact that the controls are pretty basic it is a lot of fun to play with laptop controls.

The fact that it is Mac compatible makes it an instant sale for me, I love being able to play an online game like this on both my laptop and desktop, the fact that The Old Republic isn't Mac compatible has always prevented me from playing it that often (plus, the community has been very disappointing). Not that it matters, the beta has been fantastic (been testing out different characters) and the game is almost out, so I am all over Diablo 3 these days.

forrest

formerly nacire
Are there any posts from the devs regarding this decision? I understand making things easier for casuals, but come on now.

Seriously, why is elective mode hidden? It's causing a lot of unnecessary frustration, confusion and complaints.

Well I wouldn't say it's hidden, and we have a loading screen tip that calls it out. We honestly didn't want to continue adding things to the skill UI, and as a more advanced option it felt right for it to be found or learned about through 'tribal knowledge', as it were. We intend for the game to be played at first with the current set up, and if someone wants to try a more advanced option they can turn on Elective.

Source

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im going nutso on Diablo 3 swag in prep for the most anticipated game in ages. Gots my D3 mouse, mousepad, red backlit keyboard, Book of Cain, Collectors on preorder, Limited guide on preorder. Im gonna make a little shrine on release day and fap

Seriously, why is elective mode hidden? It's causing a lot of unnecessary frustration, confusion and complaints.

Well I wouldn't say it's hidden, and we have a loading screen tip that calls it out. We honestly didn't want to continue adding things to the skill UI, and as a more advanced option it felt right for it to be found or learned about through 'tribal knowledge', as it were. We intend for the game to be played at first with the current set up, and if someone wants to try a more advanced option they can turn on Elective.

Source

Why not just make it the default option? Just seems silly that Blizzard would make an option like that to begin with...

Most digital CE aren't as exspensive as physical ones, often times only being like 10 bucks more then a normal digital purchase.

It's a shame, really, I would pay $10 for a digital CE. I don't want to pay an extra $40 for a bunch of physical stuff which will sit around my (incredibly cluttered) room. Also, I've never bought a CE before, and this would kinda be out of place.

Why not just make it the default option? Just seems silly that Blizzard would make an option like that to begin with...
It used to be. It's for the newbs I guess.

Yeah, seriously. I've had friends telling me that they won't buy it, until I informed them of Elective Mode.

I can't really see any benefit to having it default to off really. I think even the most casual player could figure out how to put skills on a hotbar at this point.

maharg

idspispopd
I can't really see any benefit to having it default to off really. I think even the most casual player could figure out how to put skills on a hotbar at this point.

I think their main goal is to have people not be left with no generators and getting confused about why you never have any (insert mana-like-thing here).

elfinke

I think their main goal is to have people not be left with no generators and getting confused about why you never have any (insert mana-like-thing here).

Yep, nail-on-head.jpg

It's not immediately obvious to all how Fury/Spirit etc is generated. I merrily played through the beta once or twice without using elective mode and certainly doesn't impinge on the experience in any way (partly because there are only so many abilities to play with in 13 levels anyway).

I do agree, however, that the option needs far greater exposure than a 1/2 second tooltip on a loading screen.

Then again, this beta wasn't intended to test this aspect either, so perhaps come retail this extra feedback will have been taken into account?

maharg

idspispopd
I think the only class where I was feeling like the automatic layout was frustrating was WD. The spider thing being a primary attack and the slowing/hurting hands from the ground thing being a secondary attack both struck me as odd choices that I'd rather have had elsewhere (and later in the game when they'd be more useful).

As someone who is interested in actually experiencing some of the story of the game, is it advisable to play it online my first go around? I mean, I don't want people just skipping every damn story sequence. Anything I could do about that?

eek5

As someone who is interested in actually experiencing some of the story of the game, is it advisable to play it online my first go around? I mean, I don't want people just skipping every damn story sequence. Anything I could do about that?
Find people on gaf that want to take it slow too or play solo

Play with friends, or people on GAF.

You are never going to have a particularly good experience playing with complete random strangers. It might be alright, but it'll be way better the other way.

kirblar

Elective mode is hidden in order to keep new players from making disastrously bad skill choices because they don't understand how the systems work yet.

Play the game through solo first. That way you can be all immersed and whatnot.

Do your farming runs co-op (if you want).

Honestly, I don't think you will be missing out on any fun playing without friends in normal difficulty anyway.

I plan to play on solo on normal to get the mechanics and the game itself down pat first. Just do the same. Unless you really want to co-op it first.

Valnen

Elective mode is hidden in order to keep new players from making disastrously bad skill choices because they don't understand how the systems work yet.

Yup. Before elective mode there were probably a lot of people making god awful builds in their official calculator and posting them to their forums.

maharg

idspispopd
I really dislike the tendency blizzard is showing to distrust the ingenuity of their players. Fun as the game is, it really does feel like you're being treated like an idiot a lot of the time.

V_Arnold

I really dislike the tendency blizzard is showing to distrust the ingenuity of their players. Fun as the game is, it really does feel like you're being treated like an idiot a lot of the time.

Interesting, it did not feel like that for me, outside of the elective mode bullshit. Based on the area that was leaked and playable, it is perfectly fine if one treats a new Diablo III player as someone new to the genre, as it ramps up in difficulty immediately after you kill SK.

zoukka

Come on son. The usability of D2 is a thing of the past. We live in different times now and it's important for these mega franchises to not lose a single customer trying the game out.

I'm still getting the game... But I can relate. The thought investment into creating a character seems lackluster now... I'm hoping that more content will be added later. If I recall runes weren't added to Diablo 2 until lod

Kalnos

Banned
I'm still getting the game... But I can relate. The thought investment into creating a character seems lackluster now... I'm hoping that more content will be added later. If I recall runes weren't added to Diablo 2 until lod

Correct. Honestly the vanilla game is terrible compared to LoD.

valeo

Seems like most people don't understand the skill/gem stat system so I think the 'thought investment' must be quite high.

-Mikey-

Im going nutso on Diablo 3 swag in prep for the most anticipated game in ages. Gots my D3 mouse, mousepad, red backlit keyboard, Book of Cain, Collectors on preorder, Limited guide on preorder. Im gonna make a little shrine on release day and fap

That would be the Steelseries mouse? I'm trying to decide between that and a cheaper logitech mouse. Any impressions?

SSJChar

I think now theres actually going to be much more time invested in trying out different skill builds and there will be a wider variety of builds. why? because people won't be as scared to have a less optimal build now that they're not stuck with it with no consiquences. Because seriously, in d2 how many skills did you even TRY for each class? or did you follow someone elses tree 99% of the way? How many points did you pump into a skill that no one else used just to see how good the boost would be after plugging 5 points into it? Some people did, but i highly doubt many people did.

I think now theres actually going to be much more time invested in trying out different skill builds and there will be a wider variety of builds. why? because people won't be as scared to have a less optimal build now that they're not stuck with it with no consiquences. Because seriously, in d2 how many skills did you even TRY for each class? or did you follow someone elses tree 99% of the way? How many points did you pump into a skill that no one else used just to see how good the boost would be after plugging 5 points into it? Some people did, but i highly doubt many people did.

Yeah, it was all about searching up guides and YOU BETTER NOT VEER OFF for me.

QUEST COMPLETE! NEW QUEST: TALK TO GUY. -> ARROW

Well, they know dat WoW playerbase is incoming.

But like WoW, I'm hoping there will be many layers to this onion. Trying to get into hardmode raiding now, and it is almost like going to math class.

Correct. Honestly the vanilla game is terrible compared to LoD.
Every Blizzard game at launch you think is pretty good, then the expansion comes out and you realize it was terrible after all.

BW, LoD, FT, BC+, more to come.

It really is incredible. And I don't really understand why either. WoW was fairly complicated to get into (understanding rotations and such) and that had over 10 million players for the longest time.

Just let people figure stuff out, and if they want to fuck around with dumb shit, let them. As it is now, you can't even swing a sword as a wizard. It would add to the flavor, but you just can't.

QUEST COMPLETE! NEW QUEST: TALK TO GUY. -> ARROW

Well, they know dat WoW playerbase is incoming.

It wasn't always like that.

Every Blizzard game at launch you think is pretty good, then the expansion comes out and you realize it was terrible after all.

People say I'm hating, then they turn around and say DII was terrible without LoD. You guys really have no clue :p.

Interesting, it did not feel like that for me, outside of the elective mode bullshit. Based on the area that was leaked and playable, it is perfectly fine if one treats a new Diablo III player as someone new to the genre, as it ramps up in difficulty immediately after you kill SK.

how do you know that?

It really is incredible. And I don't really understand why either. WoW was fairly complicated to get into (understanding rotations and such) and that had over 10 million players for the longest time.

Just let people figure stuff out, and if they want to fuck around with dumb shit, let them. As it is now, you can't even swing a sword as a wizard. It would add to the flavor, but you just can't.

It wasn't always like that.

People say I'm hating, then they turn around and say DII was terrible without LoD. You guys really have no clue :p.

No ones saying Diablo 2 vanilla was terrible... Just that lod was much better.

Check his responses to difficulty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3RZ2pRgT5O4#!

"Can I clear Normal without dying a single time? YES."

"Real game starts at Nightmare? YES."

"Can I clear Inferno dying less than 10 times? NO"

The game will be easy for someone who just wants to see the story. It will be hard for hardcore gamers. I find it hard to disagree with this approach.

yeah i am aware that in the other modes it will be harder but concerning NORMAL mode specifically, i was wondering why he said that RIGHT after SK it would pick up considerably... If that is true then that's good enough for me i guess, as i just want at least SOME challenge even on Normal

I liked the old approach more where you basically had to have a finished "normal" character to tackle "hard".

wait i thought it was STILL like this in D3?

I thought in order to play Nightmare mode(hard) you HAD to have finished Normal or else you wouldn't even get access? Or do you mean you had to have a MAXED out Normal char like level 99 or whatever to tackle hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom