• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Holy crap. This is the first I'm playing Downwell despite hearing so much about it. Freaking addictive!

I'm a big nut for
alternative palettes
so this is right up my alley.

Coppanuva

Sounds interesting? Anyone know which game this may be?

Could be Fantasy Wars Tactics? That's more isometric view though (but flat tiles).

Also the dialog portions are all just portraits with text below, no animated scenes. I'd love to know if it's a different game though!

Been playing this word puzzle game Alpha Omega and loving it. It's got 360 puzzles out of the gate, and IAPs for newer categories. It can get really, really challenging though. A couple of times there were words I've never heard of.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Reposting from the Downwell for Android thread.

Dudes, I think I've found a fix for the Intel processor issue! Just disable onscreen buttons. I've played several games with no artifacts. It's a small price to pay!

That said, the game is no longer available for purchase from Play on Intel powered devices. I'll email the developer posthaste to let them know my discovery.

Amagon

Any recommendable gaming controllers that doesn't involve rooting Android?

I have a LG V10 and just try the Moga Power Pro, can't sync for shit.

Atomski

So ive been playing this stupid game Last Empire War Z. Its pretty bad but ill admit i am kinda addicted to the whole war game idea. Grouping up and attacking other alliances and such. That said surely theres a better version of this type of game. Anyone know one?

Really enjoying Space Grunts, but there is something about the controls. I understand, due to the nature of the game, that you may want to turn on the spot before shooting, but this should be the exception. If they made it so that you moved without hesitation by default, and maybe had to hold a "stay" button and choose a direction when needed, I feel the game would flow much better.

autoduelist

Found another game I -really- like.

Decromancer -- rpg / tactical card game

Freemium, but easily playable w/ no money [more on this later]

Gameplay -- world map, quests, side quests... you level up not only yourself [more points for using cards, etc] but can level up each card to an 'elite' version. Story is actually pretty well written. Injured cards stay injured between battles, but a simple return to a camp will heal all.

Combat mechanics --
You and your enemy each have a front and back row, 5 cards long. You place up to 3 cards per turn. You have access to your entire collection each turn -- no shuffling, etc. Early cards are fairly simple -- melee, archers, healers, etc. but as the game progresses you'll get lots of really cool cards with tons of possible effects.

What can you 'pay' for?
3 things, really, and neither are remotely necessary. The 'premium' currency are asteroids, but you can -easily- earn these for free. Early, repeatable side quests can earn you a couple per mission, but by mid game you can rake them in. Since you'll be playing the game, experimenting with cards, and upgrading cards, you'll soon find yourself rich in these.

These asteroids can be spent on three things --
1) Gives you mana to heal all your cards. Never, ever necessary as a simple trip back to camp will do this for free [the trip will take 10 seconds as your unit traverses the world map]. Mana restores over time, so sometimes you can just heal with free mana anyway.
2) An asteroid is worth 10 experience points for your cards. This is next to nothing, battles give way more. No reason whatsoever to use them in this way.
3) Every 5 or 6 hours, you're offered a card [sometimes really good ones not yet available to you in game]. The first couple times you won't be able to afford these, and you can buy the asteroids to do so. But by mid game, you're rich enough that you can buy all of these w/o thinking. for reference, I have like 300k gold and 100 asteroids in my bank, and haven't spent real money -- doing some fun side missions against really hard enemies often reward 20k gold, 3-5 asteroids, and 25+ experience for your troops.

Early on, when you have no elite troops you might struggle a bit to get them all leveled up, but that's fun and challenging. Eventually you'll have them all elite, and just need to level up new cards you find which is easy enough. [early cards need 15 - 90 elite points to level up, later cards can be 200, etc... but I'm earning 35exp per battle so even if i get a new card it's elite after a handful of battles.

Highly recommended. I'm going to buy some asteroids just to support the game, because i really appreciate that they made it so playable w/o spending anything.

autoduelist

Can anyone recommend Templar Battleforce?

EDITED _-
removed Warhammer 40K: Deathwatch-Tyranid Invasion because I misread an article about it being released on Android [it isn't yet]

Vorg

Banned
Downwell is fun for a while but then it becomes a grind. If it had a point counter with a high score I might have kept at it for a while longer. It wasn't worth the 3 euros it cost.

Heads up: FFIX is supposed to get a discount starting tomorrow. I bought it without noticing, thankfully I was still within the 2-hour limit to get a refund.
Oh, didn't know that. I thought the current price was the discounted price.

We just released Power Hover for Android. It's a indie hoverboarding game about lonely robots! Metacritic for iOS version stand at 86%, players have rated the game 4.5>/5.
Give it a go, it's free!(with ads or one time iAP to remove them..)

Google Play Link
This looks awesome yo! Great music too. Is there controller support? (I'm terrible at gyro/motion controlled games.)

Edit: Downloaded. Awesome, you tap the sides of the screen to steer!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Grabbed Space Grunts last week.

Echo sentiments the controls just feel of.

Gonna cop FFIX tomorrow when we actually get the sale price.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Math how does it work?

20% off of 20.99 ≠ 16.99

He's right though, the SE website does say that $16.99 is the sale price.

I was really hoping it would be 20% off of $16.99, since the Play Store page says it starts on the 10th. Guess not. I think I'll still buy it, though. I still have a bunch of credit from when I bought a phone a few months ago.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Probably 40 other so minutes in, I've hit a game-ending bug in FF IX. Vivi says "Don't come any closer" during the play, and the next line of dialogue never happens. Music plays and the characters are doing their idol animations, but these some weird artifacts on the screen and it hangs no matter what I do. My autosave has a point set of just a few second before, and it happens every time I load it.

Probably 40 other so minutes in, I've hit a game-ending bug in FF IX. Vivi says "Don't come any closer" during the play, and the next line of dialogue never happens. Music plays and the characters are doing their idol animations, but these some weird artifacts on the screen and it hangs no matter what I do. My autosave has a point set of just a few second before, and it happens every time I load it.
What device are you using to play the game?

Also, does this game support manual saving or just autosaving, and if it does have manual saves are there multiple slots for saves?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
What device are you using to play the game?

Also, does this game support manual saving or just autosaving, and if it does have manual saves are there multiple slots for saves?

HTC One M9.

It has manual and autosaving. Seems to be tons of save slots, too. You can manually save just like in the original, by speaking to a Moogle. Autosaving seems to happen fairly regularly, although I don't see any indicator for it.

Top Bottom