• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Grumps (aka Egoraptor plays some games)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Deadly Preminition is kind of entertaining to me even though I don't care about the game. IT gives them plenty to talk about.

I equate it to the Dark Souls and Bloodborne playthroughs. I don't care about the games but the Grumps make them fun rocks watch.

Either way I can't wait to get home and watch Zelda. OMG.

And Earthbound has been really fun so far despite being Ross and Barry. It's okay. They make it fun.

RetroMG

So I'm watching a speedrun of Wand of Gamelon, because I know virtually nothing about it.

I'm really glad the grumps are using a walkthrough, because there have been a few moments so far where I've thought, "How on earth are you supposed to figure that out?"

I also have Dan's song from the map screen stuck in my head, which is unfortunate.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Tbh Wand of Gamelon doesn't even look that bad lol

It just seems to play like horseshit with that controller
Music sucks too. Like not a single classic Zelda tune, and this came out after Zelda 1 and 2, not to mention LTTP. By then all modern Zelda tropes had been established. You have to stab to pick up Rupees instead of, you know, like walking over them. Then again the hitboxes on the enemies is terrible enough they couldn't figure out how to do a proper item hitbox. Then you can't even tell where platforms are. The games are a mess.

One of the three Zelda CDi games was a top-down though. I forget if it came out or not. Edit: Yep it did. It was Zelda's Adventure.

Doombear

Ok ok ok, hey all. So I am taking my daughter to Game Grumps Live this weekend and while she couldn't be more excited, I am not so familiar. I know, don't ask me how. I am generally watching/listening to the fine folks over at Giant Bomb or Kinda Funny Games, and while I know about Egoraptor and a handful of other notable Let's Play-ers, there are just not enough hours in the day for my eyeballs to watch everything everywhere.

So are there a few good videos/playlists to check out? Should I just go in blind to the live show and enjoy it? I am pretty excited either way just because she is and we have great seats. Just thought I'd ask!

Samemind

Ok ok ok, hey all. So I am taking my daughter to Game Grumps Live this weekend and while she couldn't be more excited, I am not so familiar. I know, don't ask me how. I am generally watching/listening to the fine folks over at Giant Bomb or Kinda Funny Games, and while I know about Egoraptor and a handful of other notable Let's Play-ers, there are just not enough hours in the day for my eyeballs to watch everything everywhere.

So are there a few good videos/playlists to check out? Should I just go in blind to the live show and enjoy it? I am pretty excited either way just because she is and we have great seats. Just thought I'd ask!

They have monthly Best Of compilations you might want to try.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRQGRBgN_Enp7Z8-nL2FPZh5XPX5xdBOH

And some personal favorites

Dennis the Menace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWPYF5thVPw

Spanky's Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zroDDiYCF5Q

Kirby's Dream Course
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRQGRBgN_EnrhOVIIu-yA0iejo2vWeM1i

Yoshi's Cookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmmuv5GZkGw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518DAen0j28

Super Bonk
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRQGRBgN_Enoj5RG2wmq0F7VqS5EzYtt7

Chao

So I'm watching a speedrun of Wand of Gamelon, because I know virtually nothing about it.

I'm really glad the grumps are using a walkthrough, because there have been a few moments so far where I've thought, "How on earth are you supposed to figure that out?"

I also have Dan's song from the map screen stuck in my head, which is unfortunate.

Baby peeeenis!

Of the Danny era some of my faves are Super Tennis, Micky Mousecapade, and the LoZ1 series. They also make highlight vids every month that are about 40 mins each

Or you can ask her what her favorites are lol

Gonna copy/paste my list from so long ago in this thread:
(I love this part of the thread)

Bolded are ones that I personally love:

JonTron Era
- Sonic 06
- Goof Troop
- Mega Man 7
- Wild Guns
- Guest Grumps w/ Grant Kirkhope

Danny Era
- Mickey Mousecapade
- Shadow of the Colossus
- King's Quest V
- Punch-Out (both NES and Wii versions)
- LoZ: Wind Waker
- Battle Kid
- LoZ 2: Adventure of Link
- Bloodborne

I'd add Mario Maker (pick an episode, they're basically one-offs at this point), any of the Katamari playthroughs, and Super Mario 64/Galaxy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'll say any normal Mario game is a good idea too. They've done SMB1, 2, 3, World, 64, 3D World and Galaxy so far and they're all great. SMB2 was their first or second game with Danny because he loved the game so much and wanted to share it with Arin. 3D World is a must though because they had so much fun with it and Danny was such a troll with the extra items.

Oh, and one of my favorite one-off's from the Jon era is Super Mario Land. Just watch it. It has a great ending.

Speaking of Best Of's, where is Septembers already? It's a few days late. Last month's came out on the 10th. The month is half over almost.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I'd add Mario Maker (pick an episode, they're basically one-offs at this point), any of the Katamari playthroughs, and Super Mario 64/Galaxy.

That's a good list, though I'd also tack on Super Mario Bros. 2 and Kirby's Dream Course.

I'll say any normal Mario game is a good idea too. They've done SMB1, 2, 3, World, 64, 3D World and Galaxy so far and they're all great. SMB2 was their first or second game with Danny because he loved the game so much and wanted to share it with Arin. 3D World is a must though because they had so much fun with it and Danny was such a troll with the extra items.

Oh, and one of my favorite one-off's from the Jon era is Super Mario Land. Just watch it. It has a great ending.

Speaking of Best Of's, where is Septembers already? It's a few days late. Last month's came out on the 10th. The month is half over almost.

Kevin leaving probably messed up the scheduling.

Hello fellow KF bestfriend! Make sure you watch some classics with JonTron. As my boy Colin M. would say, it's important to know your history.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I was surprised that didn't end up being just a one off. I mean I'm entertained. But I do want to see more Earthbound.
I would rather they just shoved all the episodes into one long episode and get it over with. I haven't watched todays but please tell me it's the finale. If there's another Rump episode tomorrow I will cry and call my mother to cure my homesickness before calling my dad to save my progress before I continue crying myself to sleep.

I would rather they just shoved all the episodes into one long episode and get it over with. I haven't watched todays but please tell me it's the finale. If there's another Rump episode tomorrow I will cry and call my mother to cure my homesickness before calling my dad to save my progress before I continue crying myself to sleep.

Ugh, thanks for reminding me of one of several reasons why I don't like Earthbound.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I blame Goat Simulator for this particular brand of nonsense.
Oh it's definitely at least partially Goat Simulator's fault. But this didn't need to be broken into parts. And they didn't even say finale today. I fear we're getting more tomorrow.

Fuck fuck fuck. Stop interrupting Earthbound for stupid Steam Train games. Or if you're gonna, at least give a warning on Twitter the day before. And make them less often.

Ugh, thanks for reminding me of one of several reasons why I don't like Earthbound.
It's not that bad when you consider who made the game. Many of their games like to bug the shit out of you to take a break. And the homesickness thing is a cute touch. I mean it's children. You can't expect them to not miss their mommy.

It's not that bad when you consider who made the game. Many of their games like to bug the shit out of you to take a break. And the homesickness thing is a cute touch. I mean it's children. You can't expect them to not miss their mommy.

Doesn't matter to me who made it or not, it's still annoying as fuck.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Somebody quick, fire up the ConspiracyGrumps machine... I mean Reddit sub forum.

Edit:So far no conspiracy has formed. Will keep you updated if things develop.

Actually in all seriousness everyone seems to love it. I can't wait to get home and watch.

Also please for the love of god, give us Earthbound today.

Also don't forget Endless ocean EVERY video that has EO in the titel amazing.

And I can still laugh EVERY DAMM TIME at Micky one off so so so so good.

RetroMG

Actually in all seriousness everyone seems to love it. I can't wait to get home and watch.

Yeah, I expected to hate it, but it was a pretty good episode. I think it helped that it was a game he really enjoys.

And honestly, props to him. Doing a solo lets play is REALLY hard to do well.

Yeah, I had no idea either. Now I'm interested in doing a buster-only run to see what other attacks bosses have when they're not stunlocked by weapons. God knows Spark Mandrill must have an actual moveset besides "getting frozen and dying".
Yeah, it's pretty good. Arin is doing a buster-only run and he rambles on for 12 minutes, he's a tad awkward because he's obviously not used to carrying the show solo but he does it pretty well.

Mario 64 playthrough is probably my favorite "recent" (it's not that recent) playthrough. I wish they went for all 120 but Arin is just so sick of it by the end.

Doombear

Can you tell us more? I live in the U.K. And don't have chance to see them live!

Ah! Sorry! I somehow missed this. Well, it was just hilarious for one thing, and I wish it had gone for several more hours. We had no idea what to expect as we really didn't see anything anywhere that explained the show. My daughter just assumed they would be playing games and taking questions. Turns out that it was just about that simple.

They played Mario Party 10 and half of the audience was was player 3, and the other half player 4. It was just fun. Of course all kinds of silly shit happened, as each time the game required four players to play a mini game Vernon would run around like a madman grabbing two people from the audience.

It was just... constant silliness, and damn funny. My daughter, of course, had a blast and my face hurt from laughing before it was even half over.

So yeah, while it was not anything any of you longterm fans havent seen on countless videos, it was awesome to see live for me. Clearly I was surrounded by tons of people that knew everything about these guys, every joke. From guy that brought the Wolf Job poster up on stage, to the guy that jumped out of his seat at the mention of a Spicy Italian Sub Sandwich (with one in his hand), to the person that asked Dan if he was aware of Egosonic, and Arin taking a (spot on) guess as to what Egosonic was... it was hilarious.

So yeah, thanks all for tossing a few videos at me and getting me hyped. It was outstanding fun.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Someone on Reddit said the MMX finale should just end with Danny walking in and saying "Arin, what the fuck?"

Also, "Welcome back to Gamey Game and the Funky Grumps" is my new favorite Danny intro ever.

These Arin episodes of him just rambling are kind of depressing... He just sounds crazy and all his lack of knowledge just makes them cringey. Yes, it's not surprising you didn't see an illness that was eradicated about 50 years ago when you were a kid...

Also, his obnoxiously loud forced coughing on the recent kirby episodes hurting my ears is making me dangerously close to just dropping the series. You don't need to make loud noises for no reason constantly dude.

Edit: That's not a cockroach..... It's a stag beetle.... Has he never seen a cockroach that he thinks it has mandibles like that?

Just started watching the Pokemon FireRed playlist. Damn they are good. Never watched them before (exact that sonic 06 moment) :D

A lot of great moments so far.

These Arin episodes of him just rambling are kind of depressing... He just sounds crazy and all his lack of knowledge just makes them cringey. Yes, it's not surprising you didn't see an illness that was eradicated about 50 years ago when you were a kid...

Also, his obnoxiously loud forced coughing on the recent kirby episodes hurting my ears is making me dangerously close to just dropping the series. You don't need to make loud noises for no reason constantly dude.

Edit: That's not a cockroach..... It's a stag beetle.... Has he never seen a cockroach that he thinks it has mandibles like that?

How loud do you have the volume that his coughing is hurting your ears?

Reknoc

Arin is very competent at Resident Evil. I'm surprised.

It's weird seeing Arin be better at a game than I am. Just gonna put it down to him using the baby controls. Wish he'd quit talking about later stuff though, I guess they only plan on doing a few eps but it would have been nice to see Dan's reaction to the crimson heads.

They have to at least get to the Neptune part.

TheOGB

Banned
*Arin and Dan are about 10 seconds away from learning how health works in Sküljagger*
*Arin is suddenly transported to A FUCKING SKULL LIZARDMAN DIMENSION*

Top Bottom