• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberty4all

Banned
Man, EVE has a lot of potential but it really feels like the devs just threw shit into a pot without seasoning and cooking it. There's so much here that is right on track but falls too short of a decent mark.

Yes but it's not that great, tbh. As a second screen if someone is hogging the TV would be the best bet.

Just so I am clear, if I have no tv at all, I can still set up and use just PSVR? I don't need a Tv for initial set up?

Edit: just saw the answer to that

Hawk269

With Pro around the corner, I was much more inclined to cancel PSVR and get it later, but I figured fam and friends would benefit more from me getting it.

Don't regret it one bit, my wife, friends, and relatives reactions so far have been priceless!

So will 4K HDR sets benefit VR in anyway?

Not to be a jerk, but what would posses you ask if a 4k TV with HDR would make PSVR better? PSVR is what it is. The only thing that can make it "better" is a better console like the PS4 Pro. You can have the PSVR hooked up to a piece of shit TV or the best TV available and it wont make a difference to PSVR. Again, not want to sound like a jerk, but your query is really far out.

I was playing the Tumble VR demo today and it's still kind of blowing my mind that I can stand up, walk around, look down at and "examine" my stack to double check how things are lined up. These little "oh wow" moments are what make PSVR so immersive for me.

Played VR for about 9 hours straight yesterday(mostly EVE) and no problems at all.
so honestly the instant* headache(the kind I get when I try reading in a car IRL.) from DriveClub is the only problem I have had so far.

*Literally the first race.

Hawk269

I was playing the Tumble VR demo today and it's still kind of blowing my mind that I can stand up, walk around, look down at and "examine" my stack to double check how things are lined up. These little "oh wow" moments are what make PSVR so immersive for me.

Yeah, some stuff is truly impressive. Hoping games get "pro" patches, because the only thing holding things back for me is the poor IQ in the majority of games.

eizarus

Banned
I got a chance to try it out at the local GAME store today. I expected something very gimmicky but man, was I wrong. Started off with the EVE Valkyrie demo. I loved dogfighting in my ship and trying to pull off crazy maneuvers. It did make me slightly motion sick (first time ever), but I'm guessing that's due to how I was spinning my ship at times. Tried the Resident Evil demo and god damn! I was freaking out like a kid to the point where I actually drew in a crowd of people confused about what I was seeing that I found so scary.

Honestly, I loved the experience to the point that I'm a firm believer in VR and definitely looking to pick up a headset in the coming weeks.

Fusebox

Banned
I got a chance to try it out at the local GAME store today. I expected something very gimmicky but man, was I wrong. Started off with the EVE Valkyrie demo. I loved dogfighting in my ship and trying to pull off crazy maneuvers. It did make me slightly motion sick (first time ever), but I'm guessing that's due to how I was spinning my ship at times. Tried the Resident Evil demo and god damn! I was freaking out like a kid to the point where I actually drew in a crowd of people confused about what I was seeing that I found so scary.

Honestly, I loved the experience to the point that I'm a firm believer in VR and definitely looking to pick up a headset in the coming weeks.

So, worth the 5 quid?

cakely

Just finished Batman VR and wow, I loved it, I want more games like it.

If a launch title works that well then there are going to be some incredible experiences ahead.

On the last level of Rush Of Blood. Not sure if it's coz I have had a few drinks but my god it's a ballache. On Normal, I dread the thought of coming back on higher difficulties. Got my tracking/camera position nailed tho, can do all kinds of crazy shit like crossing arms, side gangster aiming etc

I was having a nightmare on the last level too as the move controllers kept bloody freaking out on the intense bits - thanks to this thread I did a complete power down and breezed through the level. Sony have to get this patched, it gives a really bad impression when your hands keep drifting off or getting tied in knots!

VexyWexy

Despite being a VR skeptic I impulse bought this thing and could not be happier with my purchase.

I've been watching people play VR on Youtube since Oculus and Vive launched and it all seemed like gimmicky motion control garbage. After monitoring impressions (like this very thread) I couldn't shake the urge to stop being negative and try it myself.

Now here I am absolutely loving London Heist (which looked stupid), blown away by Batman (how could a game with no movement be any fun?), doing Ocean Descent with a giant dumb smile on my face, and getting the shit scared out of me by the Kitchen demo.

I've got Robinson preordered and I haven't been this legit excited for gaming in years. I feel like generations of jadeness have peeled away from me and the future of video games is bright again.

DavidDesu

Just tried the Superhypercube demo and wow does that game look amazing. Perfect for VR. We need more Tron style games, c'mon devs!

I've been really getting into Driveclub. At first kinda hated it but it grows on you. Unlocked the Caterham open cockpit car and wow, race on some of the city tracks and you really feel the scale of the environments and need to make use of your ability to look into corners. Also helps I seem to be right up there at the top of the leaderboards right now at most tracks I have a shot on.

Sadly it still makes me feel off for the rest of the day after I play it. I tried Scavengers Oddyssey again there and it brought those feeling right back in a few minutes. I really hope there's tech that can fix this issue. Wasn't there a Samsung device supposed to trick your inner ear into thinking you were moving, which could help (or multiply) the motion sickness inducing effects of VR. Has anyone tried that yet?

ckohler

I did some more camera experimenting today and here are the results. Your milage may vary but I figured it doesn't hurt to share my results. Be sure to check out my original post regarding tracking from several days ago.

Original PlayStation Camera vs. New model
Having now tested both the original launch day and new model camera, I don't see much difference in performance. It does appear that the older camera's optics are slightly different when looking at the calibration screens (the shapes on the hmd are less distinct on the old camera) but I don't think the difference lends itself to better or worse tracking at least compared to the other variables below. However, one strange issue I ran into is that the original launch day camera kills my PS4's wifi whenever plugged in. My friend has the same configuration and his wifi works, however. Just thought I would mention it. I've been using the new camera since launch day and will continue to do so.
Verdict: There doesn't appear to be any significant difference between the two models that directly affects performance in any way I can confirm.

Camera Position: Above or Below
After running both cameras through their paces, I can again confirm that at least for me, your camera's VERTICAL PLACEMENT appears to be single the biggest factor regarding tracking fidelity. Too high, and you get wobbling and swaying. For me, below the TV results in near rock solid tracking.
From my testing, it appears that the PSVR prefers that the camera be nearly equal to or slightly below the headset. If the camera is placed too high that it is looking down (as it was when placed on top of my 65" TV) it causes wobbling and swaying on both model cameras. Placing the camera below the TV (roughly 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the ground) provided the most stability when coupled with the proper distance (see next). In fact, for standing games I found tracking works better even when the camera was below and might even be improved when raised another foot.
Also, placing the camera on top of the TV might introduce sway due to the TV simply moving. Having the camera on a solid, flat surface like your entertainment center below the TV is probably more stable anyway.
Verdict: Camera height MOST impacts tracking fidelity. 2-3 feet from the floor, when coupled with a distance of 5-6 feet works best regardless of camera model. Placing it on top of the TV may also introduce swaying.

Distance from Camera
While this doesn't appear to affect camera performance as much as height, this does obviously impact it. PlayStation's recommendations appear to be right that around 5-6 feet works best when the camera is set at the height mentioned above. Moving further than 6 feet drops the accuracy and introduces wobble and swaying. Moving closer than 5 feet actually can increase fidelity slightly but you run into the issue of being too close and loosing arm tracking. Also, games appear to prefer the 5-6 range during calibrations.
Verdict: Around 5 to 6 feet from camera appears to be optimal.

Sitting versus Standing
Not all PSVR experiences work while sitting but most do and I recommend it. I've consistently found that tracking works better while seated if only because it keeps you in a consistent range of the camera. In other words, you don't wander further away and reduce fidelity. Also, sitting puts you more directly facing the camera if it's sitting roughly 2-3 feet above the floor.
Verdict: Play sitting down if possible. You'll likely be more stable. If you must stand, stand in the same spot and just point the camera up slightly.

Do games track differently?
I don't believe so. After doing my preferred setup, I found even notoriously figity titles like Job Simulator (which can be played sitting, btw) remain almost completely stable. The hands on that game are a bit "wiggier" than other titles. Regardless, dialing in your setup appears to be able to make any game's tracking acceptable.
Verdict: I don't believe so. Tracking quality appears to be almost entirely dependent on camera/user position.

Drifting to the Left
Sigh....I can not prevent this. Like others, I think this might be a software issue with the headset. It has nothing to do with the camera/positional tracking as it happens even when positional tracking/camera is off (theatre mode). It's so pronounced that if I hold still, I can almost see the image moving slowly to the left. C'mon Sony, patch this because it's pretty bad. I've tried sitting center of the left "eye" of the camera. Moving closer. Nothing prevents this behavior. Either the gyro in most people's headsets are bad, or the HMD's driver needs fixing.

Final Recommendations
Here's my recommended setup:
  • Place the camera below the TV on your stable entertainment center roughly 2 to 3 feet from the floor.
  • Sit in a non-swivel chair roughly 5 feet from the center of the camera
  • If you must stand, stand in this same spot and simply point the camera up slightly more.
Again, your milage may vary. Removing reflective surfaces around you may also help but for what it's worth I performed these tests with a corner light and a glass table behind me and I was still able to get a good level of tracking stability.

Preventing Motion Sickness
I'm somewhat convinced that my ability to overcome my initial motion sickness with PSVR is probably a combination of improving my tracking and just general experience. Before you blast through the demo disc, try to dial in your tracking with a stable game like the Tumble VR demo. Once you feel you have a rather stable setup with almost no "world wobble", move on to the other demos/games. I think you'll have a much better first experience and will be able to ease any delicate stomach into VR. At this point, I can play almost anything and come away quite comfortable. I even played the Rigs demo and Job Simulator demo tonight and had no issues.

Krakn3Dfx

Haven't worn contacts in 7 years, but went and got an exam this past week just to I could get some to use with PSVR. Got them yesterday and once my eyes settle down with them, can't wait to jump in and play some sans my glasses.

Smidget

Haven't worn contacts in 7 years, but went and got an exam this past week just to I could get some to use with PSVR. Got them yesterday and once my eyes settle down with them, can't wait to jump in and play some sans my glasses.

Debating doing this. It's probably 10x clearer and more comfy too. Let us know how it goes!

Excellent write-up!

Speaking of drift, I'll setup a my capture and external camera and boot up a game and leave the headset on a stationary object and see if I can capture a solid 20 minutes of potential drift then time-lapse the recording.

I can test on:
OS (obviously)
Until Dawn
Playroom
EVE
Tumble
Job Sim
Battlezone
Demo Disk (any of those games)

I am thinking it may not happen unless there is slight movement in the headset causing the gyro to drift. But if you think it is worth a shot it'll be easy for me to setup. I'll make sure to block the sensor so the HMD thinks a head is inside.

Which of those titles (OS included) do you feel has the most drift? What has been your experiences? I'll either do this tonight or tomorrow and have the video up after.

I may do this twice, one on the OS since the forward LEDs are not active with the cinema screen and one in game. I'll probably start with the OS but any game suggestions where you have experienced drift would be good. I personally felt Until Dawn had the most drift.

Thoughts?

Fusebox

Banned
Rush of Blood, Kitchen or Ocean Descent, which one scared you the most?

For me it was Ocean Descent by a mile over Rush of Blood, and that was well before the shark even showed up. Rush of Blood is just a few jump scares and one eardrum threatening moment, nowhere near as psychologically intense as being stuck in a cage while someone lowers you into an inky black watery abyss.

Haven't tried Kitchen yet, that's for tonights session.

Oozer3993

Anyone else playing Headmaster? Having a lot of fun with it so far.

I played the demo and was utterly charmed by it so I picked up the full game. Really liking it. Just did the first exam. The bonus things for getting 3 stars freak me out every time lol.

D23

For me it was Ocean Descent by a mile over Rush of Blood, and that was well before the shark even showed up. Rush of Blood is just a few jump scares and one eardrum threatening moment, nowhere near as psychologically intense as being stuck in a cage while someone lowers you into an inky black watery abyss.

I don't find ocean descent all that scary tbh... rush of blood on the other hand... screamed like a little girl

ckohler

Excellent write-up!

Speaking of drift, I'll setup a my capture and external camera and boot up a game and leave the headset on a stationary object and see if I can capture a solid 20 minutes of potential drift then time-lapse the recording.

If you're willing, I think it would be a worthwhile test. If it does indeed drift on its own, then we'll know for certain. It would make a great YouTube video to show Sony so they know the issue is real and not user error.

Not to be a jerk, but what would posses you ask if a 4k TV with HDR would make PSVR better? PSVR is what it is. The only thing that can make it "better" is a better console like the PS4 Pro. You can have the PSVR hooked up to a piece of shit TV or the best TV available and it wont make a difference to PSVR. Again, not want to sound like a jerk, but your query is really far out.
just asking, I was wondering if the pass through quality would be improve is all, the second screen stuff. I know the VR is basically replacing the TV so the resolution on that is up to the platform and resolution Sony built in.

I am looking forward to how much Pro will enhance the experience though.

Can anyone piggy back on Bound being the cleanest PSVR game so far?

Batman scared the crap out of me several times and I got vertigo from looking over ledges. Ocean Descent was not as bad. I'm still too chicken to pop the seal on my copy of rush of blood. I usually play scary stuff in the daytime, but with PSVR it makes no difference.

Shoeless

Can anyone piggy back on Bound being the cleanest PSVR game so far?

It is a super clean game, though I guess if you're discussing pure technical power and how that translates into visuals, Rez is probably the sharpest looking game of the entire launch, considering it's a 15 year old game and there are a lot of simple shapes in it.

Shoeless

I usually play scary stuff in the daytime, but with PSVR it makes no difference.

My wife made the same observation when I was browsing through VRideo movies and contemplating watching some of the scary ones. I speculated that maybe I should wait until the next afternoon and she pointed out that the headset makes that all irrelevant.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How do I win mission 18 in Tumble. It's the one that has the two blocks going back and forth at different intervals and you have to build

Spman2099

It is a super clean game, though I guess if you're discussing pure technical power and how that translates into visuals, Rez is probably the sharpest looking game of the entire launch, considering it's a 15 year old game and there are a lot of simple shapes in it.

I disagree. I think Super Hyper Cube takes that prize.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
After running both cameras through their paces, I can again confirm that at least for me, your camera's VERTICAL PLACEMENT appears to be single the biggest factor regarding tracking fidelity. Too high, and you get wobbling and swaying. For me, below the TV results in near rock solid tracking.
From my testing, it appears that the PSVR prefers that the camera be nearly equal to or slightly below the headset. If the camera is placed too high that it is looking down (as it was when placed on top of my 65" TV) it causes wobbling and swaying on both model cameras. Placing the camera below the TV (roughly 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the ground) provided the most stability when coupled with the proper distance (see next). In fact, for standing games I found tracking works better even when the camera was below and might even be improved when raised another foot.
Also, placing the camera on top of the TV might introduce sway due to the TV simply moving. Having the camera on a solid, flat surface like your entertainment center below the TV is probably more stable anyway.
Verdict: Camera height MOST impacts tracking fidelity. 2-3 feet from the floor, when coupled with a distance of 5-6 feet works best regardless of camera model. Placing it on top of the TV may also introduce swaying.
I haven't really found that camera height impacts the tracking fidelity much, if at all. I have to keep my camera on top of the TV for standing games, as the lower side of my TV is maybe 1.5 feet off the ground, and it's completely impossible to play any standing game with camera sitting that low, even if I aim it upward. On the other hand, camera sitting on top of the TV, aimed slightly down, for me is able to track both standing and sitting just fine. I will experiment more with camera below the TV + me sitting, to see if the tracking is any better, but it's pretty good already, so I doubt it will change much.

ckohler

I haven't really found that camera height impacts the tracking fidelity much, if at all. I have to keep my camera on top of the TV for standing games, as the lower side of my TV is maybe 1.5 feet off the ground, and it's completely impossible to play any standing game with camera sitting that low, even if I aim it upward. On the other hand, camera sitting on top of the TV, aimed slightly down, for me is able to track both standing and sitting just fine. I will experiment more with camera below the TV + me sitting, to see if the tracking is any better, but it's pretty good already, so I doubt it will change much.

1.5 feet is Sony's recommendation but I think that's too low. My camera is 2.5 feet above the ground which places it just barely over 5 feet from my chair/hmd. If I placed it on top of my tv, it would be 5.5 feet off the ground, looking down at just over 6 feet to my HMD. Again, I think 5 feet from the camera is the sweet spot.

Hale-XF11

Has anyone tried mounting the camera up high and aiming it downwards to capture both standing and crouching positions? That to me seems like it would be most ideal for coming as close as you can to a pseudo-room scale experience.

farisr

Has anyone tried mounting the camera up high and aiming it downwards to capture both standing and crouching positions? That to me seems like it would be most ideal for coming as close as you can to a pseudo-room scale experience.
I recall reading someone having the camera mounted at like 8-9ft or so and having great tracking.

But I think for optimal tracking it would make sense for the camera to be in a position to be able to see the most amount of lights as much as possible. Having the camera up too high could prevent it from seeing the lights near the bottom of the headset pretty quickly, and the lights on a regular DS4 when holding it straight (for games that track that).

doby

How do I win mission 18 in Tumble. It's the one that has the two blocks going back and forth at different intervals and you have to build

If I'm thinking of the right one you build outside of the moving things paths. Counterbalance the main stack with the metal cube.

Hale-XF11

I recall reading someone having the camera mounted at like 8-9ft or so and having great tracking.

But I think for optimal tracking it would make sense for the camera to be in a position to be able to see the most amount of lights as much as possible. Having the camera up too high could prevent it from seeing the lights near the bottom of the headset pretty quickly, and the lights on a regular DS4 when holding it straight (for games that track that).

Ah, right. Too bad the PSVR doesn't use two cameras. I wonder if at some point Sony will make it so you can attach another camera to the setup somehow, to allow for a larger tracking area.

So still loving my time with VR but I tend to notice I still feel a bit off when it comes to forward motion games and turning. Does anyone know if sea bands help with these feelings at all?

My TV never moves. On top seems to be the best, 4 ft off the ground.

My TV never moves. On top seems to be the best, 4 ft off the ground.

Same here, below the TV introduced a while lot of wobble I never had before. I would encourage each person to fiddle with it for their district setups and see what works best for them, from everything I've read there doesn't seem to be any universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom