• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

There was this arcade game, at about Neo Geo level graphics. If I recall correctly game was kind of Action RPG, you could destroy barells, you were a knight and fought monsters, there was this level where you were in some kind of town and fought big Minotaur (boss) at some market, he would charge at you. Later you went to "skies" and there was this level where you walked on glass and fought tough enemies, also there was a cave level. Can't remember much more sadly. We tried to finish it a few times but never could. Would love to see some clips on youtube for old times sakes :)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
gamerecks said:
2 of them.

An arcade game where you play as a ninja. He was green and used scythes. He looked like a kid

Another was on the nes. You were a ninja, and could turn into an animal by holding a button down.

Ninja Crusaders

NintendosBooger said:
I performed a Google Image Search of Archon, and that was indeed the game! :lol GAF is awesome, thanks. Man, such great memories.

Was it fairly popular or am I one of the few shmucks to have owned it?
I don't know how popular it was on the NES but I think it's relatively well-known as an early Electronic Arts computer game. It was popular enough to warrant a sequel (Adept), anyway. I played the hell out of it on our Atari 800 in the '80s.

DeadTrees

Dougald said:
I've been trying to remember this one for years:

- Master System
- Very Similar to 1942 - flying WW2-era planes, vertical shooter
- I think there was a superweapon you could drop, but I'm not sure

Its all clouded in memory from my early childhood and I've been trying to remember the damn game for the best part of 10 years... Help me GAF!
Scramble Spirits?

komarkaze

In the late 80s/early 90s, I had a PC shareware disk. One of the games was you controlled a helicopter that automatically scrolled left to right, and you could drop bombs on the hillside or shoot bullets. At the end of the level, you have to pick up stranded people from a base or burning building. You could even kill those people by running the helicopter into them. What was this game?

Dougald

Ok, I've a request from my girlfriend for a game:

- BBC Micro
- Text-based adventure
- The plot was to do with finding dragons teeth(she thinks?). Occasionally you'd run into a dragon and the game would be over

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There was this demo I played a lot as a kid, I have no idea what the game was though.

It was semi-top-down perspective and your main weapon was some energy machine gun that shot green bolts or something. The game was 3d and on the PC.

That's not much to go by but that's really all I can remember!

There's also this super sweet PSX game that you drove around in a car or something, you could upgrade the weapons and the car itself, top down perspective with 2d graphics.

komarkaze said:
In the late 80s/early 90s, I had a PC shareware disk. One of the games was you controlled a helicopter that automatically scrolled left to right, and you could drop bombs on the hillside or shoot bullets. At the end of the level, you have to pick up stranded people from a base or burning building. You could even kill those people by running the helicopter into them. What was this game?

Choplifter.

Some of these games aren't even remotely obscure.

Paznos

It was a game in the 90's for the Macintosh it was black and white and a RPG kinda Zelda like but for the life of me I can't remember the name it might have had keep or shadow in the title but not sure help me GAF!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dougald said:

- BBC Micro
- Text-based adventure
- The plot was to do with finding dragons teeth(she thinks?). Occasionally you'd run into a dragon and the game would be over
Crap I remember playing this when I was at school, the name is on the tip of my tongue.
EDIT:
Pretty sure it was Dragon's Tooth - but I can't find a single screenshot or description online to confirm this. There was something about naming animals and there was puma involved somehow from my vaguest recollection. I'm gonna try and run it on an emulator when I get home and see how my vague memories from 25 years ago match up.

507-1.jpg

Guess I do remember it...

wRATH2x

Banned
There was an old tank game I used to play, you had to destroy walls to reach an eagle or falcon or whatever. It also had an awesome level creator.

Dougald

poppabk said:
Crap I remember playing this when I was at school, the name is on the tip of my tongue.
EDIT:
Pretty sure it was Dragon's Tooth - but I can't find a single screenshot or description online to confirm this. There was something about naming animals and there was puma involved somehow from my vaguest recollection. I'm gonna try and run it on an emulator when I get home and see how my vague memories from 25 years ago match up.

Well she's pretty sure you've got that one right - let me know if your memory matches up!

Raw64life

I remember a mid 90's average PC action/adventure game. 3rd person. You looked kind of like a knight. Kind of like the guy from Ghouls & Ghosts. You were in a cave in the demo.

storl026

There was this 2D top-down game on Mac where you were a pretty buff-looking caveman and you had some sort of projectile shooter. Movement was only in the 4 (8?) cardinal directions, and I think one of the stages was called "Pangea"...?

Edit: Found it!
Power Pete

Flek

Banned
i remember playing a side scrolling game where you had a helicopter (?) and had to shoot other things an throw bombs at little bunkers. When you archived a certan scorce you could call in reinforcments which then spawned at you base (tanks and soldiers)

allright

Sega Master System or Genesis
2D sidescroller

I remember bein on a motorcycle that when you collected a powerup it transformed into a suit very similar to a cyclone from robotech

BooJoh

komarkaze said:
Striker?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELOyiZnQarg

Screenboy

there was this game when i was a kid i used to waste all my coinage on. it was this old arcade game that was a 1 on 1 (i think?) fighting game where the stages werent flat, like you could jump on ledges and stuff. i only remember the last boss as a character and he was this brown minotaur and his super special move was like he threw you really high in the air then he jumped on ur chest and turned into a fireball cus he was going so fast towards the ground! way beyond its time! would love to play it again

I was at an anime convention and their gaming section had a 360 game that seemed really cool. It was very Japanese looking and I figured it was an import, but it may have been localized. It was 2 flying robots (or mechs, whatever) fighting each other in the sky, and they each had several different laser weapons. It played like a top down shooter but everything was in 3D, and often at diagonals as the 2 robots flew around the screen. Some of the power ups actually changed the perspective to that of a top down shooter.

edit: this was like a year ago

any ideas?

edit2: got it. WarTech: Senko No Ronde

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wow, I was about to type up this old thought, but I actually found it on my own. I had no idea Dragon Ball was this old....

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dragon-power

1148953222-14.png
Dragon_Power_NES_ScreenShot2.gif
Dragon_Power_NES_ScreenShot3.gif
1148953222-13.png
1148953222-01.png
1148953222-08.png

1148953222-09.png
Dragon_Power_NES_ScreenShot4.gif

Dragon Power. Was slightly altered because they didn't fully have the license or something.

I don't remember much, except it was weird, and I was wondering why I had a memory of a ninja flying on a cloud...makes sense now.

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/423/

Reading that article, I now remember the Hermit and the Sandwiches...who would have thought that was supposed to be Panties... :lol

I asked about this before on gaf and never got an answer :(

It was an adventure game where dinosaurs were coming back through time and you had to figure out which building in the town they would come back in by looking for clues (or something)

The poster had a brontosaurus coming out of a crack in the road, the font was back to the future-ish

The screen was top down view of a town and you would walk between buildings. There was a museum and a school, some others

It was pre-windows PC (but I didn't play it on a pc with dos)

JRPereira

Here's one I still haven't figured out, and it's been years.

Was there ever a game on the Genesis that was very similar to Conquest of the Crystal Palace? I seem to remember a game that was pretty close to it, with richer colors. Also, I don't know why, but I seem to remember it having red and blue spheres for some reason.

Jazzem

I once played a demo of a PSone game over a friend's house that I can't remember the name of. It was a third person shooter of sorts, with very cheesey dialogue and voice acting, and not long into the game the main character is shocked by the destruction of a city. The bit that sticks out in my mind though is the Game Over screen, where your character slowly falls upside down against a black background with the remark "Is this...the end?", shortly followed by a very awkward "Aurrrgh!" :lol

Anyone know the name? It's been bugging me for a while now.

joesmokey

There was an old arcade game in the late 80's, early 90's that I used to play all the time.

The closest thing I can relate it to is Castlevania, as it was platforming and you could get upgrades for your character. I know it wasn't Castlevania, but if I remember correctly it had the same type of feel to it (setting).

I have almost no details for it, I just remember wasting endless quarters into it :(.

joesmokey said:
There was an old arcade game in the late 80's, early 90's that I used to play all the time.

The closest thing I can relate it to is Castlevania, as it was platforming and you could get upgrades for your character. I know it wasn't Castlevania, but if I remember correctly it had the same type of feel to it (setting).

I have almost no details for it, I just remember wasting endless quarters into it :(.

I'd guess Black Tiger or Cadash.

Tenden

This one might be a bit tricky, but I'm looking for a 2D space adventure game on the CD-i.

It basically controlled like a platformer, but without the intuitive controls. You had to guide the main character through several planets solving puzzles of some sort. I never did get anywhere with the plot so I'm not sure whether there is any.

One level I remember is in some sort of a desert, while another one is set in a space ship. There were many other planets though, so there were more locations than that.

The protagonist was male and the game boasted an annoying VA...

That's it. Thanks in advance.

I remember playing these games where you put a suction cup over a circle at the corner of the screen and used a gun to shoot and when you hit the light on the suction cup would flash. We had a jet fighting game and police game but can never remember what it was or what it was for. It had to be at least 18 years ago when I played it, but I'm sure it's probably older. The game may have played on a vhs?

BooJoh

joesmokey said:

While technically a Castlevania game, Haunted Castle didn't have the Castlevania name. Could that be it?
http://castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/Games/hcstages.html

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Flek said:
i remember playing a side scrolling game where you had a helicopter (?) and had to shoot other things an throw bombs at little bunkers. When you archived a certan scorce you could call in reinforcments which then spawned at you base (tanks and soldiers)
Sounds like Rescue Raiders.

It was also released years later for the PC as Armor Alley

bitq

rpmurphy said:
There was an old edugame I can't remember the name of. Graphics were like Maniac Mansion, but you were a detective holding a magnifying glass, and the villian looked like some mad scientist who would say "Curses!" or something. :\

Super Solvers?

Speaking of edugames, does anyone else remember playing that trivia adventure game that came with encarta? I spent a lot of computer lab time at school playing that...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
bitq said:
Super Solvers?

Speaking of edugames, does anyone else remember playing that trivia adventure game that came with encarta? I spent a lot of computer lab time at school playing that...

I think in particular he was talking about Midnight Rescue. I don't know why, but the damn robots in the hallway used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4SXKO3U1VA

Hinomura

Hello!

This could be a pretty difficult one. I've played it just two or three times when I was a small kid, so some information can be inaccurate.

I've checked mame emulated games database quite often until ten years ago and I didn't found/recognize it. There could be a possibility of being not emulated yet (it won't surprise me, considering ie how many years another "oldie" like Acrobatic Dog Fight took).

- coin op (almost sure from a japanese developer)
- first 80s (probably 79-82)
- vertical shooter without scrolling (Space Invaders like)
- bitmap graphics
- colourful graphics
- very probably 8 colors on screen
- probably background was not black
- enemies seemed "alien crabs" or something similar, they were not spaceships
- enemies seemed pretty organic and pretty big
- probably no more than eight "crabs" on screen
- "crabs" were animated: probably taking advance of horizontal flip sprites (I think loaded in memory at startup, I'm pretty sure they were not hardware/software flipped in real time)
- probably the crabs animation was slow pace when "in formation" but quick while attacking
- in the same arcade there were games like: Asteroids, Zaxxon, Mooncresta, Crazy Climber, Moon Shuttle, Pengo and others

Please GAF help me, this is the only game I played I'm not able to trace at all! :)

mclem

Dougald said:

- BBC Micro
- Text-based adventure
I think that was Dragon World, by 4Mation.

(Seeing the later comments): Yeah, the animals does definitely ring a bell. I'm sure I remember a sequence where you had to visit different parts of a town to collect things, including at one point going around in the lift of a block of flats, and you had to keep avoiding the COUGAR.

Which in retrospect, given the alternative meaning of that term now, casts the game in a rather more worrying light!

HallucinatingElvis said:
allright

Sega Master System or Genesis
2D sidescroller

I remember bein on a motorcycle that when you collected a powerup it transformed into a suit very similar to a cyclone from robotech

Master System and that was Zillion 2

Huggy

MrPing1000 said:
It's like a really horrible filthy murderous society and you're a taxi driver. You're taxi has guns n stuff and u can pick people up too. It's very old, it's pre carmeggeddon. PC/Amiga I think.

It's probably Quarantine. This game sure likes to haunt threads of this sort.

1944776984.gif

Oops, solved already some posts ago.

joesmokey

forgeforsaken said:
I'd guess Black Tiger or Cadash.
Black Tiger sounds close but I don't think it's that. I remember more of throwing a javelin type weapon instead of the daggers/spear chain.

bengraven

DTJAAAAM said:
Dino Rex?

No, it was a modern game running on last gen hardware. It was one of the last arcade games to come out in America.

It was a linear game where you were a T-rex and wading through swamps, attacking and eating herbivores and fighting raptors.

I want to say it was Sega who made it, but there's little chance it's more than 10 years old.

Ganondorfo

1)It's located the whole game in a train, the controls and camera positions reminded me of resident evil. The main character is called jack I think. You fight against terrorists. You need to save the president's wife and daughter. It was on the PS1

2)Also a ps1 game. It's a japanese rpg, you get powers of trees. The battle system is putting commands (kinda like a tekken game), the main character has blue hair. There is a lot of mist in this game.

Red

Ganondorfo said:
1)It's located the whole game in a train, the controls and camera positions reminded me of resident evil. The main character is called jack I think. You fight against terrorists. You need to save the president's wife and daughter. It was on the PS1

2)Also a ps1 game. It's a japanese rpg, you get powers of trees. The battle system is putting commands (kinda like a tekken game), the main character has blue hair. There is a lot of mist in this game.
1) Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn.

2) Legend of Legaia?

Wilsongt

Played this game way back on the Gameboy. It was an RPG and I remember one of the random battles where you were fighting these guys that looked like stalactites with no arms, but legs. And they would run at you when they attacked.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Ganondorfo said:

Legend of Legaia

Edit: beaten lol

I got one that's been buggin' me for years. This ain't gonna be easy cuz my memories are very vague, but here goes:

-NES game
-Released in US, but not sure of its origins
-Fantasy adventure theme
-Bright colors
-Side-scrolling, repetitive backgrounds, environments
-Contains indoor and outdoor exploration
-May have had something to do with finding keys
-Pretty difficult from what I remember

And that's it. That's all I remember.

Top Bottom