• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

I just have a bluetooth dongle, it's not built in. I just don't want to have to buy another one. A minor quibble because I'm cheap.

Don't expect any changes then. On Wii the game has basically direct access to the Bluetooth module - it goes through Starlet technically, but it operates on a very low level. Introducing some sort of low level filter is technically possible but I don't think anyone will bother. That said, you can just uninstall the thing, no?

shockdude

A couple weeks back I experimented with passthrough on my laptop's built-in Intel Bluetooth, and it worked pretty well. I just rolled back the driver when I was done.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have some Kinivo adapter that uses a Broadcom BCM20702, appears it isn't going to work.

Eventually some cheap option that works very well will probably be found, might get one then.

catabarez

I just bought the internal Wii bluetooth receiver for about 5 bucks. I'm hoping by the time it gets to me some clearer pictures of the mod will be taken so I can make my own.

catabarez

There's a Dolphin forum thread that details the whole procedure.

Edit: Read through the whole thread, turns out it's not a fully detailed procedure, but it's a decent start.

That's an excellent start! Thank you. If it really is as simple as it seems I might make a few of them just so I can get comfortable with it and make it look nicer.

Edit: looks like the trickiest part will be making a voltage regulator. I could use an external power source, but I would rather it be plug and play.

Dalius

Does this new passthrough method not work with the DolphinBar? I've given it a try by replacing the drivers as stated on the wiki but no luck - Dolphin keeps complaining that no compatible Bluetooth was found when launching a game.

Edit: read the article, apparently it won't work... Boo!

catabarez

Alright I think I figured it out! I'm going to buy the needed parts and let you guys know if I got it. Should be about 7-8 dollars total by buying the individual pieces, much cheaper if I can find the bluetooth adapters in bulk.

That's beside the point, unless you know of a specific $5 adapter that happens to be highly compatible with Dolphin's passthrough.

Okay, so it's a bit more than $5. Still not very expensive at all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162218420313?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I actually happen to own this adapter, so I know that it WAS $5 at one point, but it seems to be out of stock in most places atm. I highly suspect that now that the feature is more known, a lot more adapters are going to get tested, and the compatibility list will expand quickly. We'll all have plenty of inexpensive dongles to choose from.

catabarez

I'm just trying to make my own for fun and because it seems like a simple enough project. I'd be more wary of trying if it was expensive but the fact that it is about as cheap as a regular bluetooth dongle sealed it.

Looks like I can easily add a physical sync button to this thing. If only I had some 3D printing knowledge I could actually make a little enclosure for it :p

Theonik

I'm just trying to make my own for fun and because it seems like a simple enough project. I'd be more wary of trying if it was expensive but the fact that it is about as cheap as a regular bluetooth dongle sealed it.

Looks like I can easily add a physical sync button to this thing. If only I had some 3D printing knowledge I could actually make a little enclosure for it :p
Can you tell me where you are getting the Wii hardware from? I'd be interested in having a crack at this.

catabarez

Can you tell me where you are getting the Wii hardware from? I'd be interested in having a crack at this.

Just searched wii bluetooth on Ebay and looked for one that matched the picture. They are pretty cheap.

Looks like someone on the dolphin forums is going to make a PCB with the voltage regulator and USB port integrated into it.

Theonik

Just searched wii bluetooth on Ebay and looked for one that matched the picture. They are pretty cheap.

Looks like someone on the dolphin forums is going to make a PCB with the voltage regulator and USB port integrated into it.
I was thinking more along the lines of making a Dophin-bar alternative. Got all the spare bits/3D printing/board etching tools available.

catabarez

I was thinking more along the lines of making a Dophin-bar alternative. Got all the spare bits/3D printing/board etching tools available.

That would be awesome. Yeah the bluetooth receiver is about 5 bucks and that was the only bit of Wii hardware I purchased.

Theonik

That would be awesome. Yeah the bluetooth receiver is about 5 bucks and that was the only bit of Wii hardware I purchased.
Thinking about it, Just modding the Dolphin Bar with the new chip shouldn't be too difficult. LEDs usually run on 3.3V so it would basically need a 5V (USB) to 3.3V in it you could use. Then you can basically bypass most of its guts and just power the LEDs and wi-fi chip if space allows.

catabarez

Thinking about it, Just modding the Dolphin Bar with the new chip shouldn't be too difficult. LEDs usually run on 3.3V so it would basically need a 5V (USB) to 3.3V in it you could use. Then you can basically bypass most of its guts and just power the LEDs and wi-fi chip if space allows.

Looks like Mayflash might be updating the dolphinbar to allow the passthrough function.

ss_lemonade

Passthrough mode works really well on my laptop (MSI GS60 970m, has the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 4.1 adapter). Only problem I noticed is I need to resync the wiimote after exiting a game

catabarez

Looks like I'm just waiting on the voltage regulator now. I'm going to start connecting everything now so all I need to do is solder the voltage regulator.

Nabs

Have you tried ishiiruka's dolphin builds? The last time I used regular builds (which was several, several months ago), they ran pretty bad for me. I used to have a 4.5ghz 2500k + amd 6970 and now use a 4.6ghz 3570k + 780 and with both builds, Mario Galaxy would stutter a lot. I don't know how much they've improved since but ishiiruka's builds with async compilation has so far worked wonders for me

This + DX12 is a life saver.

Can someone knowledgeable on these things advise on how the new 13" and 15" Macbook Pros may fare with Dolphin? I'm due an upgrade on a 2006 iMac and a 2011 Macbook Air. May help with the decision if the 1315/" models may be able to run Dolphin okay.

15" comes with:

Radeon Pro 455 with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
Intel HD Graphics 530

13" with:

Intel Iris Graphics 550

Thanks.

Can someone knowledgeable on these things advise on how the new 13" and 15" Macbook Pros may fare with Dolphin? I'm due an upgrade on a 2006 iMac and a 2011 Macbook Air. May help with the decision if the 1315/" models may be able to run Dolphin okay.

15" comes with:

Intel HD Graphics 530

13" with:

Intel Iris Graphics 550

Thanks.

As little as I know about this, are you going to install Windows (or failing that, Linux) on it? OSX isn't really gamer's best friend.

Theonik

15" comes with:

Intel HD Graphics 530

13" with:

Intel Iris Graphics 550

Thanks.
On my 15" MBP (the one that is now getting replaced, fully configured variant) dolphin results are middling to bad. My point of comparison is a desktop with a 6700K @4.5GHz and a 980Ti though.

Note: Dolphin has a lot of OSX specific bugs and you also get neither Vulkan nor DX12 (duh) and a lot of the new enhancements will probably never make it to OSX. (BT passthrough requires a hack)

Datschge

I asked because I saw this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKUudCSUFn0). This Up Board is weaker and it seems to be capable off runing GCN games in a crappy way. I thought that the Uddo, with Pentium, much more RAM and a better GPU, could be a viable option.
Intel stopped using the name "Atom" and gives Atom-derived CPUs the nostalgic name "Celeron" and "Pentium" nowadays. One shouldn't expect big improvements in that area (aside power efficiency). Looking at cpubenchmark.net the latter actually has the same power per clock, difference being that it clocks up to 2.6 GHz instead only 1.8 GHz. Personally I don't think it's worth that price (you can get older CPUs like the Core2-derived Celeron 1037U with double the single thread performance for less), but if you like what's shown in the video (and don't plan to play any more demanding games) I guess you can go ahead.

I'm new to Dolphin and need helping getting settings right. I want to play Eternal Darkness. Don't need all the bells and whistles, just want an accurate experience.

CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: GTX 970

Nerrel

I'm new to Dolphin and need helping getting settings right. I want to play Eternal Darkness. Don't need all the bells and whistles, just want an accurate experience.

CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: GTX 970

It's kind of hard to mess up. If you want totally faithful emulation, just don't change anything and render to 1x resolution. Each game's ini data will change the critical per-game settings automatically when you launch. If you want some basic enhancement, you GPU could do 3x internal resolution with 4xMSAA and 16xAF on nearly every game.

It's kind of hard to mess up. If you want totally faithful emulation, just don't change anything and render to 1x resolution. Each game's ini data will change the critical per-game settings automatically when you launch. If you want some basic enhancement, you GPU could do 3x internal resolution with 4xMSAA and 16xAF on nearly every game.
Thanks for the reply. :) I tried playing it after playing with some settings and I'm getting occasional hiccups. Firing the shotgun in the intro does it.

I don't want to mess with the internal resolution and all that, don't trust that there won't be glitches and artifacts.

Nabs

Thanks for the reply. :) I tried playing it after playing with some settings and I'm getting occasional hiccups. Firing the shotgun in the intro does it.

I don't want to mess with the internal resolution and all that, don't trust that there won't be glitches and artifacts.

There's no reason to worry about that.

Hey guys. After 5 Years of Dolphin I have finally a PC that can play Wii games! It was well worth the wait, belive me.

It is a company provided laptop:

Core i7 6820 - 2.7 GHz (8 cores)
16GB
Radeon FirePro W5130M 2GB

And it seems fast enough to run this (2x Native Resolution, NoAA, NoAF):

untitledh2sgh.png

Looks amazing!!!

Nabs

How can you say that with certainty? From my experience with PS2 emulation, that was the case for some games. I'd rather have a vanilla experience than have to deal with any other issues that might crop up.

I just don't think it's worth worrying about until it actually happens. I can't remember ever having to worry about the internal res for anything other than performance.

and:

I mean, they update on the fly when you adjust the settings. You're not commiting to anything, just swap back and forth and compare.

People like to avoid the shader compilation induced stuttering by using the ishiiruka's dolphin builds instead. Those come with their own set of issues though.
I read that too. I'm a little confused on whether playing with the same Dolphin build will over time lead to less stuttering, on a per game basis. They are making progress on an "ubershader" project to remedy the situation. \

Theonik

How can you say that with certainty? From my experience with PS2 emulation, that was the case for some games. I'd rather have a vanilla experience than have to deal with any other issues that might crop up.
PS2 emulation and GCN emulation are completely different beasts. It's really difficult to get accurate emulation with custom resolutions for the PS2. The PCSXE2 implementation is also very naive and hacky in nature.

GCN on the other hand used an external frame buffer. This allows you to get higher resolution basically bug free. Dolphin's implementation is also much better.

PS2 emulation and GCN emulation are completely different beasts. It's really difficult to get accurate emulation with custom resolutions for the PS2. The PCSXE2 implementation is also very naive and hacky in nature.

GCN on the other hand used an external frame buffer. This allows you to get higher resolution basically bug free. Dolphin's implementation is also much better.
That's good to know. Thank you.

dogen

Higher resolutions are much more bulletproof than with ps2 emulation. The ps2 is harder to emulate in general, but higher resolutions are especially tricky.

Datschge

they are working on uber shaders of sorts for down the track tho ?

Indeed. Uber shader is like a generic shader that tries to cover the most common usages of TEV so that the game can continue running while the optimized shader is still compiling. As far as I understand that approach is not that different from ishiiruka's aside that ishiiruka doesn't bother with a temporary placeholder shader meaning that rendering accuracy is off during the shader compilation.

If so, why is it so expensive? I keep finding product pages for it saying that it also acts as a keyboard, which.... what?
It has several different modes. One to use it as originally intended with programs like Dolphin. Or you can use it to control your mouse weirdly. Or you can have the button presses act like keyboard presses so you can use it more generically.

Top Bottom