• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

I'm pretty sure piracy on Wii was enabled through Homebrew.

Only for Wii titles which came about because the Wii U essentially has it's own Wii OS inside so that was just as exploitable as a normal Wii. It isn't possible to pirate Wii U titles though

-edit- No fair, you edited your quote (originally said Wii U)

Rich!

Also, the first USB loader for the Wii turned up a year and a half after the homebrew channel release - and it wasn't implemented by Team Twiizers either.

For me the most important homebrew program will be a pokemon save editor, for all the event exclusive stuff.
Question here. What is wrong with powersaves? They have codes for event stuff. Or if you're Japanese Cyber Gadget is actually a fully fledged save editor.

I'm pretty sure piracy on Wii was enabled through Homebrew.
Modchips existed (around launch since the security was the same as the Gamecube bar the drive access password having its case changed) before homebrew much like flashcarts currently exist for the 3DS.

If you''re talking about softmodding. Well one of the most useful components to this working was a game loader and the game loader Gecko Region free was used in the work of Wiibackup launcher. So you could say region locking had as much to do with it (as the game loader would not exist were the Wii to be region free).

For all you know, this could lead to another exploit being discovered in a week like on the Wii. Then you would be fucked.

They're only 5 bucks a pop. If I get like 6 or 7 and I'm able to flip em for like 20 each, that'd be a nice profit.

I'll keep one for myself too. I wanna be able to play Super Robot Wars UX without having to get a whole other system for one game.

J.W.Crazy

I own this game sealed. Huh.

I had it sealed for the longest time after buying it on whim from the $5 bargain bin. Finally opened it one day and played for a bit once or twice but it never really hooked me. I actually tried selling it for $1 at one point but no one was interested!

gngf123

Got my copy, £13. Sucks that I missed the really cheap copies, but that's a decent price I think.

I really hope that region free becomes more than just "possible".

Sakujou

Banned
if you post this kind of stuff you could basically sell shit tons of a crap game and reveal afterwards that the bug isnt working as it shoudl.

Tsunamo

So for a Aus 3DS would that require a Australian copy of the game specifically or would a EU/UK copy be fine seeing as how they're all from the PAL region?

Only copy I can find that's Aussie is $50 but I could get a import for much cheaper.

User mode exploit versus Kernel mode exploit.

User mode exploit will NOT allow for piracy. Other hackers will have to find a kernel level exploit to gain access for piracy... and if they have the skills to find a kernel level exploit, guess what? They would have also found the user mode exploit as well.

This user level exploit is not going to push piracy any more than no exploit being released, and there are already flash carts on the 3DS that serve only for piracy (they are incapable of running unsigned code) which should be the real target of your ire.

As noted above: Wii mod chips hit before the homebrew channel, and the homebrew channel itself on Wii didn't allow for pirating in and of itself... but in that case it did make it easier for pirates since Nintendo fubbed up the security terribly (the trucha exploit, which allowed anything to be signed as official by using an all 00 key). 3DS seems to be a bit hardier in that regard, though by Smealum's own admission he DID have full kernel access at one point.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For me the most important homebrew program will be a pokemon save editor, for all the event exclusive stuff.
I wouldn't risk messing with my Pokemon saves, seems too risky. Besides, I wouldn't want my Nintendo ID to get banned from the online features (if it ever happens, of course).

I'm pretty sure piracy on Wii was enabled through Homebrew Channel.

EDIT: Yep. http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader
Running illegal copies on Wii required modifying a bunch of system files, as your link shows. As long as the system itself isn't vulnerable, installing the Homebrew Channel doesn't help in any way to run pirate games (as far as I understand, and I could be mistaken).

Running illegal copies on Wii required modifying a bunch of system files, as your link shows. As long as the system itself isn't vulnerable, installing the Homebrew Channel doesn't help in any way to run pirate games (as far as I understand, and I could be mistaken).
Well, basically you're right, but it's quite complex:
  • Homebrew Channel itself is only a convenience as it simplifies launching stuff instead of relaunching exploits over and over again. The AHBPROT... thing... that was added at some point... well it is used by most of these programs nowadays, but again that's a convenience thing.
  • If there were no unsigned code exploits, there would be neither a Homebrew Channel or a cIOS based USB loader working, so they have something in common.
  • Wii piracy itself was possible before unsigned code exploits, by means of modding the optical drive, and loads of people did that.
  • It could be possible for some insane hacker team to convert a retail game to homebrew.
  • It could be possible for some moderately stubborn hacker to tweak the Wii cheat programs, usually considered a "non-rogue" homebrew, so that they enable piracy without modifying system files.

I honestly don't expect anything amazing happening at 3DS homebrew anytime soon. I would buy the thing if it stayed at 5 EUR, heck if it stayed at 20 EUR, but I guess I missed the clock. Curse the university. As the game itself doesn't interest me, I'll probably pass.

dock

Damn, I missed that window.

I hope this solidifies into a genuine region lock solution. I wonder how many months it'll be until people are using this, and it'll be interesting to see whether it keeps working on platforms such as the N3DS.

DooD1234

Not sure if it been asked but will this enable online cheating? Cheaters ruined metroid prime hunter and I would hate for the same to happen to kid Icarus uprising online.

NeoFaff

It's gone up to £60 from its original price of £11 on amazon UK :L

Would like to see a CPS1/2 emulator on 3DS. Vertical shooters would be cool.

bigkrev

Ordered my copy last night for around 9 dollars from gohastings on Amazon, and now noticed that they are still selling the game for 20ish dollars now. If my copy doesn't ship i will be throwing a fit

Rich!

So, just for a taster of what you will be able to get after saturday's release:

Gameyob - a gameboy emulator with full Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Super Game Boy support. It's got near-perfect compatibility and has been ported to the 3DS. Here's some shots I took of the DS version:

i9SqnjmhbOJuh.jpg

Throw in the GBC Bios file, and you have flawless GBC hardware support too, right down to the startup with selectable colour palettes:

Though the set itself is legit, all the digital games come from the the US (after NNID) and Brazil (before NNID) as my country has no eshop. Which obviously is against T&C.

Thus, I am rather hesitant to buy anything digitally that can be bought by retail. It would be great if you can ask CN about it.

Don't worry, I have a friend who's not in NA and buy NA games all the time. I just finished the call(to combine accounts, it's doable!), the representative told me that you don't have to worry about getting eshop ban and they will help you with account transfer stuff no problem.

Annnnd another critical info I got from him, new 3ds won't come out until at lease second half of 2015 :(

GulAtiCa

Wow, the game now has a purpose. That is funny.

I am worried about this leading to piracy though.. Can the 3DS Homebrew Chanel enable piracy?

gngf123

Wow, the game now has a purpose. That is funny.

I am worried about this leading to piracy though.. Can the 3DS Homebrew Chanel enable piracy?

According to Smealum, no.

Not to say that it won't be possible in the future, but Gateway already enables that somewhat anyway.

LordAlu

Boo, Rakuten cancelled my £12.68 order as they had "no stock available", despite when I ordered it it said "in stock, delivered in 3-5 days".

Hikami

Damn. shouldve bought this for $7 when I saw it last night on Amazon, wasn't sure what it was about though at the time.

I need that region unlocking..

Rikkun

One single copy on Amazon.it, 126€.

lol

I have one and got zero desire to lose time on another homebrewed console, I'll keep an eye on prices for the next week.

What a morning.

Went to bed last night, and put in a hold for the game at two nearby Gamestops at 4 in the morning. Got up at 9:30 to an email saying they didn't have it in the store. Decided to ignore the email because the store opens at 10 and there probably wasn't anyone there to actually check the stock, so I assumed the system auto-responded after a bunch of people tried to put in a hold. My guess at the time was that it was a "soft" hold system, because there was no money down, etc.

I show up at the Gamestop as it's opening, ask about the game, and they tell me someone else called in earlier asking, and they never had it in the store. I cursed and drove to the next Gamestop, one that I knew still showed the "hold in store" option even as of this morning, when the other two had not.

Got there, picked the game up off the shelf, tried to pay for it, and got told that about a minute beforehand, someone had put in a hold for the game. The employee tried to put in a hold at another Gamestop that showed the game as in-stock, but he called to verify and they said they didn't actually have it, corroborating the story I told. Basically, if I had any confidence in that system, I would've put in a hold before I made the half-hour drive.

Long story short, they called the person who had put a hold on it and told them it wasn't in stock, then sold me the game for $5.

Also, guys, please believe that at this point, it is probably out of stock everywhere on the east coast. People are calling Gamestops before they even open. If you want one and you aren't already on the road, you're probably outta luck. If you call in ahead of time, it's still up to the whim of the employee as far as how willing they are to actually hold the game for you. Keep in mind that the game I got, which was the only copy in the store, was still on the shelf when I got there, despite it being on hold. Had another employee who was unaware of the hold been the one to do my transaction, the person who preordered would have showed up and gotten mad instead of being called, presumably when they were on their way.

Danj

It's already up to insane prices on Amazon UK I see, and out of stock at GAME. Are there any other obscure UK game stores that might have it?

EDIT: Grainger Games apparently has a used copy in Crewe, if anyone's near there and wants to grab it.

Rich!

It's already up to insane prices on Amazon UK I see, and out of stock at GAME. Are there any other obscure UK game stores that might have it?

Well. GAME is out of stock online, but may have some left in certain stores. CEX only have ONE copy in the entire country - and its probably sold by now anyway.

Other than that, the only hope is charity shops and car boot sales. If not, then you are sod out of luck. It's not going to be reprinted and because you need to have the game in the console to boot the exploit each time, people will have to keep hold of it and not resell it.

Top Bottom