• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Mobile Developer Program (Vita & Android)

Bukana

List Of Supported Developers:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477774

“We are very happy to inform you that the Open Beta phase of Developer Program for PlayStation Suite is now ready,” Sony said in an email to TheSixthAxis this morning.

“Developers around the world can join Open Beta.”

We’re told that the closed beta test has just ended, with participants automatically getting access to the Open Beta. The best news is that you can test and debug games and applications developed with the PS Suite SDK on a normal PlayStation Vita system.

The developer suite can be downloaded from here.

Wario, is the Vita saved, I am waiting for your response.
Takao too.

ReaperXL7

Awesome, i'm not programmer myself only some minor experience on the music/sound end, but i'm really looking forward to seeing what people might do with this. Hell some of my favorite games this gen have been from PSN/XBLA/ and Android

Strange about that bolded statement. It seems rather trusting of Sony, like a way to trade homebrew without getting it approved first.

I wonder what the limitations are.

Chesskid1

Banned
ohhh, there's a vita only link on that page you click to get the app on your vita.

someone download it and share what's all on there, please.

someone make a ps1 emulator.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Yes finally!, I have a lot of hope for this Suite, the fact that they let you test games and apps on a regular Vita is very cool and unexpected tbh.

Luigiv

Strange about that bolded statement. It seems rather trusting of Sony, like a way to trade homebrew without getting it approved first.

I wonder what the limitations are.

They're not native PS Vita apps. PS sSuite is a virtual machine that runs on multiple devices, as such no low level programming and overall limited performance. It'll scratch the itch of some Homebrewers but not all (it also depends on how open the platform is).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ohhh, there's a vita only link on that page you click to get the app on your vita.

6946675110_c512cebf70_c.jpg

7092746013_af8794bfbf_c.jpg

Excite.

Installing SDK still...

dallow_bg

nods at old men

someone make a ps1 emulator.

Cool, it opens up immediately the the PSN store on the Vita.
8mb app.

Jaroof

Where's the download for it? I can't find it.

Edit:
Durr, never mind. >_>
Stupid me.
Didn't read all of the quote at first.

Twinduct

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5031/6946675110_c512cebf70_c.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7085/7092746013_af8794bfbf_c.jpg[IMG]

Excite.

[spoiler]Installing SDK still...[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Uncanny that I also got those three games recommended to me on the same page :p

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hope they realize that, like Unity, a Mono.Net centered SDK and MonoDevelop based tools (which run on MacOS X already) should allow developers to use MacOS X as native development platform.

If you want to get apps from iOS only developers you should make it easy for them to code their apps... and when you are working on portable technology already running on MacOS X very well...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cool, Vita's screenshot function works with suite apps. (Assuming the dev environment is 1:1 with the final release environment at least)

7092781601_56efd431b9_c.jpg

Also, it seems like it would be fine to share projects/code and run them on each other's Vitas. But don't think you can 'download' the apps to your Vita...edit - oops, nevermind, see below!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Scratch that - apps are actually kept on the Vita beyond a debugging session. So you do basically download apps 'for keeps' onto it. You just access them from the dev app rather than the main Vita menu.

7092794265_e85c42248a_c.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So you do basically download apps 'for keeps' onto it.

!!!!VITA IS THE NEW AMIGA!!!!!

I have a long holiday coming up without the family - i think i see what's going on the MBP.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That's just crazy.

And just checked to be sure, they're still there and playable when I plug my vita out of my PC.

Crazy how? That's pretty exactly how I was expecting it to work myself. PS Suite is separate from the Vita OS and BIOS, after all.

Well, I had a bad feeling they'd only be exposed or playable during a debugging session with your PC. So it's nice they appear to be available all the time.

Jonnyram

This is very exciting.
I don't know if I'll ever get around to developing something myself, but I'm very interested in seeing what others come up with.

Edit: things are gonna get messy if they don't update the OS, though. Little apps are soon going to fill up the home screens.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some detail in the docs about the on screen controller thing too...you just specify if you want it to be used or not, and it will be automatically modified (size/layout etc.) to suit the device you are playing on. On a Vita it won't be displayed. The developer can manually modify the layout of the controller, and the player can also move and change the size of the different components.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Cool, Vita's screenshot function works with suite apps. (Assuming the dev environment is 1:1 with the final release environment at least)

7092781601_56efd431b9_c.jpg

Also, it seems like it would be fine to share projects/code and run them on each other's Vitas. But don't think you can 'download' the apps to your Vita...edit - oops, nevermind, see below!

Where did you get these demos?

Luigiv

And just checked to be sure, they're still there and playable when I plug my vita out of my PC.

Well, I had a bad feeling they'd only be exposed or playable during a debugging session with your PC. So it's nice they appear to be available all the time.

Ok that's fair. Seems like it'd be a pain in the ass for developing if it were like that, so I'm glad it's not (Imagine trying to test/debug a location tracking, AR or Motion controlled app with the thing tethered to your PC. Yuck). I'm guessing PS Suite is going to be a relatively open and unrestricted platform if Sony is leaving the rabbit hole open like this.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Some detail in the docs about the on screen controller thing too...you just specify if you want it to be used or not, and it will be automatically modified (size/layout etc.) to suit the device you are playing on. On a Vita it won't be displayed. The developer can manually modify the layout of the controller, and the player can also move and change the size of the different components.

They included a virtual joypad by default? Interesting, oh well... I just finished coding a nice virtual DPad on Unity for a small company. Had a nice time :).

Top Bottom