• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Mobile Developer Program (Vita & Android)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't think this will be really popular, as many know, the most used "homebrew" is the one were you play the game without actually having it in your possession. This way you cannot damage or lose an original game, amirite?

The Vita already allows for this; you can get the games on PSN.

It just depends on what people will make with it. I am currently trying to draw a sprite! Woo! But hey who knows.

Had a bit of a play around. C# is welcome although not my language of choice. Not really feeling the tools in compared to say Visual Studio. I'm sure it will mature.

Did a couple of hello worlds and it all more or less worked as I would expect. Seemed to hit a couple of bugs but maybe I'm not using the tool right.

Started a proper project :p

975b9c3d8fce44145c9bf42ed0fd95dbf60e66e1.PNG

Withnail

I don't think this will be really popular, as many know, the most used "homebrew" is the one were you play the game without actually having it in your possession. This way you cannot damage or lose an original game, amirite?

The Vita already allows for this; you can get the games on PSN.

No, the most used 'homebrew' is iOS and Android apps. That's what Sony are targeting with Suite.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Can we expect a port of Dudebro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time? ;)

id like the vita to get hacked if suite is not open enough, so someone makes an n64 and dreamcast emu. just give it to me. space channel 5 on the go? give it to me.

Turfster

I'm kinda sad Sony hasn't extended its "playstation certified" thing to 'older' Xperias.
I could have playtested things on my slightly older (2011) phone...
Now I'm debating buying a Vita... Bad Sony! Bad!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm kinda sad Sony hasn't extended its "playstation certified" thing to 'older' Xperias.

Join us! Join us!

pfkas

So excited about this, it comes at a great time for me. Going through some of the samples now it looks like I'm going to be able to convert my game engine almost one to one. I'm also at the early stages of planning for a new game project and Vita/android would be a perfect fit.

Thing is, if Sony are intending to have a 'app-store' with reasonably low prices would it adversely affect the value of the premium title on the official PSN store? Tricky.

Vita has just got 100% more awesome.

Can we expect a port of Dudebro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time? ;)

Hey why not. Might as well add it on the release schedule :p

I know just the game to make with this too...unfortunately I do know how much work it would be and what little time I have.

Do you need the cord for this? I left it at home =/

EDIT: Installing USB driver. Guess so. =[. I'll have to wait until I get off work to be able to play with this... and the day just started.

I want... to make a virtual controller app to navigate your computer with.

Use left thumstick to move "mouse," Right stick is scroll. Touchpad can also be used for navigation as well... though they might have some pretty hard limitations on being able to do that sort of thing. Still waiting for this thing to install.

Jonnyram

Seems some doujin groups in Japan are moving quickly.
A port of XBLIG game Chieri no Doki Doki Yukemuri Buraritabi is already running at 60fps.
Dev claims it's significantly faster than the Xperia he ported it to first.

Think about the positives - for mere 250$ you get access to one of cheapest dev kits ever and software hungry market without much competition oh and you get best handheld console ever made as a bonus :)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
But I'm poor! Plus me and consoles have a bad history. Hell, I've hardly touched my PSP or 360, and my PS3's main usage is DVD/Bluray player.

Oh ho! But if you get a Vita, you can just use it to only program stuff w/ the Suite, and never actually play any games on it. Ta-daaaah = maintaining your status quo!

Yjynx

Seems some doujin groups in Japan are moving quickly.
A port of XBLIG game Chieri no Doki Doki Yukemuri Buraritabi is already running at 60fps.
Dev claims it's significantly faster than the Xperia he ported it to first.
Can someone make a thread out of this..... just for the record.....

tried some of the sample on vita the 2d action game and 3d rpg, both run kinda sluggish on vita. Is that normal?

*i know nothing about programing just that it looks like fun.

Rockman

So does this basically means homebrew on the machine without having to use a crazy exploit like past systems? If so NES/SNES emulator ports?

pfkas

tried some of the sample on vita the 2d action game and 3d rpg, both run kinda sluggish on vita. Is that normal?

*i know nothing about programing just that it looks like fun.

I haven't tried them myself, but did you compile them in debug mode perchance?

Toma

:( . Sadly this would've been the selling point for me. I know it sounds ridiculous to buy a Vita strictly for the purpose of playing 20+ old games on it but I am crazy so... :p

Considering how 2D games look on this thing, this isnt crazy at all.

orioto

Good Art™
Considering how 2D games look on this thing, this isnt crazy at all.

And the nice dpad! But it doesn't have to be emu specially. Give me a great virtual console with SNK games or other old games and i'll gladly buy them

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, this is very interesting. Can't wait to see what kind of software this will lead to.

I suck at C#, though, so I was only able to do a couple tests (Hello worlds, yeah!). I've been using Unity lately for fun (where light scripting isn't too difficult) and so going straight to C# coding is too much for me. :(

I hope someone makes a game like Real Racing.
I hope not as Real Racing is kind of a shit racing game. :p

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Since it's illegal, Sony wouldn't allow them to be published on the App Store.

Are you talking about emulators? Because they are not illegal as long as they don't come with any bios files and not using copyrighted code.

edit
After reading your post again it seems that I misread it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Are you talking about emulators? Because they are not illegal as long as they don't come with any bios files and not using copyrighted code.

Didn't Nintendo recently get a patent on emulation on handhelds? Wouldn't that now technically makes it illegal?

Veins

Unconfirmed Member

Still in that case, without anyway to get the bios files or roms on the Vita memory stick, there is no point anyway.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Still in that case, without anyway to get the bios files or roms on the Vita memory stick, there is no point anyway.

Not every emulator needs a bios and technically it's very possible to dump your own roms. Still emulators are legal, that's the reason you can also get them on the official Android Store.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=emulator&c=apps

I know there is this big argument about dumping own roms and who would make that but that was the point of the earlier discussion we had in this very thread.

edit
Arrgh, I'm too dumb to read today. Yeah, you are right about the transfer problem to the Vita stick. Sorry.

BosSin

Will subscribe to this thread and hopefully make a start on finally getting into game development. After all these years of wanting to do it I need to at least try it as a side hobby, have already got a lot of experience with Java, and C# isn't that different.

A.R.K

Got the email last night about the beta. I don't have a vita yet, so is there an emulator included with the SDK? I want to play around with it. Anyways this looks good. Hopefully lot of cool games/apps come out of this.

Let the Apps for Vita flood start...:)

Drek

No. No emulators.

You mean no emulators distributed on the app store.

If someone codes the app I'd imagine they can share the files with others who have the SDK (which only costs $99) and they could then upload it to their Vita just fine.

Got the email last night about the beta. I don't have a vita yet, so is there an emulator included with the SDK? I want to play around with it. Anyways this looks good. Hopefully lot of cool games/apps come out of this.

Let the Apps for Vita flood start...:)

Claims there is on the site.

I'm thinking about emailing the official addresses for Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, Space Chem, etc. with a link to the SDK and a subject that just says "Do it, c'mon, do it."

You mean no emulators distributed on the app store.

If someone codes the app I'd imagine they can share the files with others who have the SDK (which only costs $99) and they could then upload it to their Vita just fine.

The SDK is free, and developing and testing on your Vita is free. Only publishing on the store costs $99.

Toma

The SDK is free, and developing and testing on your Vita is free. Only publishing on the store costs $99.

Only free during the Open Beta, testing on Vita will be a premium feature when the Open Beta is over.

Mondriaan

Think about the positives - for mere 250$ you get access to one of cheapest dev kits ever and software hungry market without much competition oh and you get best handheld console ever made as a bonus :)
I bought an iPod touch to play around with iPod development and it annoys me that testing anything on my own iPod, even without any intention of eventually putting anything on the store is still $99/year.

The Open Beta is really nice- free till around the end of the year and $99/year if you want to put anything on the store, but I'm hoping that Sony lets people use their vitas to test stuff and leave that yearly fee for people who want to put things up on the store. The FAQ is not super clear on this point.

pfkas

what are the basics to learn to use this for a noob?

Download it and have a look. It has a built-in emulator. The samples are pretty comprehensive and it'd be a good way to get your feet wet. If you go the route of 3D stuff you'll need to know shaders so find out about those.

I bought an iPod touch to play around with iPod development and it annoys me that testing anything on my own iPod, even without any intention of eventually putting anything on the store is still $99/year.

The Open Beta is really nice- free till around the end of the year and $99/year if you want to put anything on the store, but I'm hoping that Sony lets people use their vitas to test stuff and leave that yearly fee for people who want to put things up on the store. The FAQ is not super clear on this point.

They probably don't know yet and will decide on charging people depending of popularity of this thing.

So it probably will stay free ;)

Top Bottom