• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Mobile Developer Program (Vita & Android)

Bukana

So, I don't really know much about programming but I wanna start exploring it and maybe eventually develop an app or a simple game.

What language does the PSSuit require, is there any tips or guides for beginners!?

I would love to see some of you Gaffers create a YouTube channel or a Blog teaching us newbies how to begin developing on this platform.

theBishop

Banned
So, I don't really know much about programming but I wanna start exploring it and maybe eventually develop an app or a simple game.

What language does the PSSuit require, is there any tips or guides for beginners!?

I would love to see some of you Gaffers create a YouTube channel or a Blog teaching us newbies how to begin developing on this platform.

The native language of Suite is C#, similar to XNA although with a different runtime (Mono, instead of .Net). I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like Suite can accommodate Flash as well.

Bollocks

What? 100% on it. Do you have a link or some extra info?

No you can't use Flash for programming.
You can however use Flash to make custom UI animations(no Actionscript whatsoever) that you can then convert to a file format PS Suite understands.

Oops. Almost! ^_^
I'm experienced in Flash game development, and if that was possible I'd be able to put there some small games like these 3 free ones that I did almost alone : https://apps.facebook.com/junglefruits/

There's a full Bejeweled clone in the samples that hould be very easy to convert into your games though, even ithout any flash support whatsoever ...

I'm back from holiday btw and working on my UI Wizard again. I'm now picking examples from iOS games that have a lot of settings, and am trying to make sure the wizard can do pretty much the same, and also replicate the look and feel. There's definitely some work to do to get there though, as some pf the basic controls don't allow for much customisation, so I'll have to build some of my own.

Bukana

Thank you guys so much,
Unfortunately I use a Mac, so the whole thing is useless.
Bookmarked them for the future.

Thanks again.

So this has been renamed Playstation Mobile ... perhaps thread title needs to be changed?

I've been working on my UI stuff again. Testing by modelling some existing UIs from other Apps on various platforms that are quite extensive and that I like, and trying to determine the best way to retool the setup. Wish I had some other guys working with me, but oh well, so far it's at least very educational. ;) Hopefully I can find some more time for this soon. I'm kind of hoping update 0.99 isn't too far off.

school_demo_p2 by niwrA, on Flickr

patsu

So this has been renamed Playstation Mobile ... perhaps thread title needs to be changed?

I've been working on my UI stuff again. Testing by modelling some existing UIs from other Apps on various platforms that are quite extensive and that I like, and trying to determine the best way to retool the setup. Wish I had some other guys working with me, but oh well, so far it's at least very educational. ;) Hopefully I can find some more time for this soon. I'm kind of hoping update 0.99 isn't too far off.

school_demo_p2 by niwrA, on Flickr

Heh, that's pretty cool. I can't touch PS Suite yet. How's the I/O for the system ? Do you have access to WebKit from the SDK ? What about hardware like Bluetooth, or say the Move controller ?

EDIT:
This game looks close to being released!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbAldENxpj0

What is the publishing procedure ? How long does it take ?

Takao

Banned
PlayStation Mobile with have a dedicated channel on PSN. Casual games, non-game applications welcome.

One platform to reach a "huge consumer base". PlayStation users engage with content on a regular basis, huge investors. ‪

Buy once, play on any PS Certified device or PS Vita.

Advantage is it will use the large, pre-existing PSN consumer base. Will use same billing system, no credit card required.

Some great marketing opportunities - will use PS Store, targeted emails, http://PlayStation.com website and the blogs.

Content guidelines to get approved will be "light" - no comment on quality, just technical and objectionable content tested.

Registration will be free, entire SDK and technical resources available. Publisher license is $99 a year.

Main programming language of PlayStation Mobile is C#. May provide other languages in future, but this will be developer led.

Talk drawing to a close - PS Mobile SDK 0.99 is out "really soon". Offers in-app purchase library and more.

Talk opened up to Q&A. PS3 support for PlayStation Mobile is "on the table" - not a technical reason, but for strategy.

In terms of support for older phones, Xperia Play will be the "lower end" for PlayStation Mobile.

https://twitter.com/digitalspygames

Carl

PlayStation Mobile with have a dedicated channel on PSN. Casual games, non-game applications welcome.

One platform to reach a "huge consumer base". PlayStation users engage with content on a regular basis, huge investors. ‪

Advantage is it will use the large, pre-existing PSN consumer base. Will use same billing system, no credit card required.

Some great marketing opportunities - will use PS Store, targeted emails, http://PlayStation.com website and the blogs.

Content guidelines to get approved will be "light" - no comment on quality, just technical and objectionable content tested.

Registration will be free, entire SDK and technical resources available. Publisher license is $99 a year.

Main programming language of PlayStation Mobile is C#. May provide other languages in future, but this will be developer led.

Talk drawing to a close - PS Mobile SDK 0.99 is out "really soon". Offers in-app purchase library and more.

Talk opened up to Q&A. PS3 support for PlayStation Mobile is "on the table" - not a technical reason, but for strategy.

In terms of support for older phones, Xperia Play will be the "lower end" for PlayStation Mobile.

All sounds really good! Sounds like Sony is taking this seriously. It could go either really well or really badly. Will be interesting to watch, at least.

All sounds really good! Sounds like Sony is taking this seriously. It could go either really well or really badly. Will be interesting to watch, at least.

Would sound good if they had the application Live already. How long has it been in Beta, including closed Beta? Like a year? When did they announce it? A year and a half ago? Talk about moving like molasses....

spwolf

Would sound good if they had the application Live already. How long has it been in Beta, including closed Beta? Like a year? When did they announce it? A year and a half ago? Talk about moving like molasses....

open beta since 3 months only. It seems like it is very close to release now.

Well it is virtualization that has to work on various platforms, i would guess it is not that simple.

Hopefully it actually comes out, you never know with Sony, right? :).

patsu

That transcript conflicted a little with the article DiscoJer posted. In the latter article, they say they are investigating Move use. In the transcript, they highlight business/strategy reason as the key consideration.

androvsky

Is the Dev Assistant up on anyone's shop yet?

Still 0.98 on the aus psn store :(

There's a patch to download, check the Dev Assistant's Live Area screen, refresh if needed. Also, you have to have firmware 1.69.

The CPU speed issue is still there. :( And you still can't delete apps from within it... *twitch*

One of the requested features was that in the Simulator, we could use a gamepad for testing analog stick controls and such. Could be related to that also. We'll find out soon enough, I'm updating everything ;) (Vita already done), and then build some of my work to see what has been fixed ...

Grokbu

So if I get it correctly, according to the bolded, if something isn't allowed on the store, the developer can release his code and we all can use the developer software and compile it ourselves for free as the only thing that seems to cost is the publisher fee?

extralite

I haven't been following this thread closely but are there any gaffers who already have or will soon put something up on PSM? I have a question regarding obtaining age ratings to anyone who already has tried to get some for their own game. According to the publisher license the publisher has to obtain the ratings themselves and do so for all regions where PSM is distributed. This obviously is a minor to major hurdle and I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with the process..

Bollocks

Well, you just have have to tick some boxes on the ratings website and you get the rating, it's not like they actually play and rate your game

extralite

That sounds quite managable, thanks. Do you have a link for this rating site? Or should that be sites, as the territories covered by PSM, according to the dev portal, are:

Japan

United States

Canada

United Kingdom

France

Germany

Italy

Spain

Australia

That's Cero, ESRB, Pegi, USK and whatever Australia uses for age ratings. At least 5 different systems.

noobie

Banned
can anybody tell me how to download the development kit.. is development kit available worldwide or is it available in specific country only and can i download development kit without paying or i have to pay the fees first and then only i can download the development kit?

Thanks

extralite

You need to register with your PSN ID here:

https://psm.playstation.net/portal/en/index.html

Then you can download the SDK for free. Once you want to try code on Vita or Android devices and not just on the emulator, you need to purchase the license.

This was changed recently with the Vita firmware update 2.0. Previous to that it had open beta status and you could run code on end devices without the license.

Yes,I've installed the latest version. As my country is not supported though I am locked out of testing on Vita and can only use the Simulator

Bollocks

Really?
Fuck, just updated yesterday to check out PS+ and since my country is not supported I'm locked out?
That's dumb, it worked just fine. Also I guess I can't submit the game also?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anyone know if any of Sony's new phones have PSM preloaded?

Or will that have to wait for the next range?

Just reading in the OT that Sony is now the third largest smartphone maker in the world, 8.8m sold last quarter. PSM could really do with getting on all these phones.

Really?
Fuck, just updated yesterday to check out PS+ and since my country is not supported I'm locked out?
That's dumb, it worked just fine. Also I guess I can't submit the game also?

Yep, unless it's so good that you can get Sony to release it for you regardless.

Carl

Anyone know if any of Sony's new phones have PSM preloaded?

Or will that have to wait for the next range?

Just reading in the OT that Sony is now the third largest smartphone maker in the world, 8.8m sold last quarter. PSM could really do with getting on all these phones.

Yeah would be great to see it preoloaded. Hopefully not long before they start doing it.

extralite

Just to clear something up I posted earlier, according to the PSM publishing guidelines only Pegi, ESRB and Sony's own PSM age rating are required. For non-games the PSM age rating alone will suffice. Sorry for the confusion.

Bringing this thread up from the dead.

Is anyone still using the PSM Dev Kit? It seems like this would be a great tool for hobbiest developers to build games/apps for a really great device. It seemed like there was some great initial progress by the GAF community, but then it just faded away.

If anyone is still developing using this IDE, is there a better community/resource site that you use?

Top Bottom