• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFT War of the Lions translation sacrifices readability for pretentious prose

having to parse what's being said because it's pseudo archaic english, gets annoying...

This is where you have a fundamental disagreement with myself and many others in this thread. Like, I don't think about "having to parse" any of those sentences. I'm delighted by how colorful and expressive they are. It literally gives me a pleasant feeling to read the stuff people have posted in here. I think to a certain degree WotL is a game written for English nerds, and if you don't have that kind of proclivity it's not going to speak to you.

Now I'm reminded that I'm disappointed more games aren't written with the same fantastically flowery prose as TWotL.

Honestly OP, you finding it hard to read is fair enough, but there's nothing inherently wrong with any of the lines you're struggling with beyond your own lack of familiarity or ability to adapt to a perfectly acceptable, established style of English that flows naturally for others, myself included.

Some people get annoyed when I speak English instead of Manglish. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haha yeah, that happens too. Not that I am not guilty myself when I was younger. Was shocked when I started reading English translated mangas in the past to find the translators give characters a southern slang to emulate Osaka-based ones. (Malaysian language mangas keep everything neutral)

So I dont mind if the OP dislike the prose. Calling it pretentious however, is itself in a way pretentious.

Zelias

Banned
I thought WotL was beautifully written and engaging. The OG translation is trash - full of poor English, mistranslations, and most of its memorable lines didn't go memetic because they were well written. The OG translation ruined my immersion, the new one enhanced it.

GeekyDad

Entered bizarro world, I think. The War of the Lions translation makes it my favorite game of all time. The story is absolutely wonderful. Couldn't DISAGREE more with everything you said.

mieumieu

Oh yeah I'm totally with you. XIV is bottom of the barrel for sure. Even if WOTL bugs me at times, it makes way more sense than XIV

I read books, I just don't read a lot of books with heavy handed attempts at archaic english. Reading more books doesn't change that this game goes overboard sometimes

Do you read Dickens or anything of his comtemporaries? Most of the text are not archaic in any sense. Only those like "I am come" legitimately counts.

I don't mind War of the Lions or FF12's translation. But FF14 had the worse of it I think.

Speaking of ff14, why does everyone except beast tribes speak in an english accent? It's such a diverse continent.

ZangBa

I like both, but after playing FFT on my phone with the new translation, I found new appreciation for it that I hadn't felt the first time on the PSP. I'd say I'd prefer it now. There's plenty of games with boring as shit writing, generic one liners and whatever, like most typical cinematic games. Garbage like FFXIII and XV.

GeeTeeCee

All the examples "against" the translation in the OP seemed entirely appropriate to me... but then again, I do enjoy indulging in needless verbosity when the opportunity presents itself.

Durante

I actually like all the examples in the OP.
When a game has a fitting setting this type of translation can be great.

MilkBeard

I do think the language is a bit excessive, but it's still very well written. The only reason why I may prefer the original is because I played it first, and thus I have memories of the original lines.

The new translation isn't bad, and I'd say it's actually enjoyable most of the time, but I can see how some people may be turned off by the type of prose.

I actually like all the examples in the OP.
When a game has a fitting setting this type of translation can be great.

Yes it's a bit ironic, because most of the examples in the OP are quite good.

I agree with the OP. I'm not a fan of that translation style, particular how it appears in FFXIV. In FFXIV, it is clear that the translators intentionally go for more obscure word choices rather than clear ones, sometimes to the point of incoherence.

For example, instead of using the word machine, they use the word clockwork. Fine, right? Except, the word clock is never used in the game for a time-keeping device. They are refered to as an horologium or chronometer instead. Which is weird, since they use the word "bell" instead of hour for timekeeping. There is no internal logic, just a stubborn refusal to use plain language.

This eventually reached a boiling point in FFXIV in the Keeper of the Lake event, when the player first meets a really old dragon. It is a major scene that was supposed to add backstory and set up major future events. The conversation was utterly incomprehensible in the English version. The intended meaning was completely lost. I've heard that the devs had to take the translator to task over that debacle. Ever since, the flowery language has been dialed back a bit. Whenever that same old dragon talks later on, he speaks in completely plain language.

Incomprehensible? Exaggeration much. I can only assume you're not familiar with old English literature, which is fair enough if English isn't your first language. But even then, it's not that difficult to understand, especially the conversation you're talking about.

1upsuper

God. I'd almost forgotten about those. I'd actually blame all the accents for killing any interest I might've had in the series. It was just an unreadable deluge of varying national accents that served to make the game really obnoxious and borderline unreadable in some sections.

One questionable localization choice in a remake of a single DQ title turned you off the whole series? ...You should really give it another chance. That's a whole lot to miss out on based one one little hang up.

As for the topic at hand, it's certainly more purple than most game prose, but it doesn't bother me, and it's grammatically sound. I'm much more bothered by a shoddy translation than something like this. Plus, reading a lot of English lit will make this sort of thing second nature.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I am come.

?

In days of yore, verbs of movement used to be used with the verb To Be. Hence why the line "Thunderbirds are go!" is technically grammatically correct.

Sometimes they even removed the lexical verb. For instance, "I am to Rome", meaning "I go to Rome".

Source: I'm an English philologist.

Seyavesh

SURRENDER OR DIE IN OBSCURITY

that line that has such a great touch of bravado and badassery, so it's always stuck with me. i absolutely love how it ends up being this magical bit of irony considering the events of the game and how the story is presented in context

there's a lot of fantastic brevity in fft's original translation, though whether it's on purpose or not is quite arguable given the quality of a lot of the script there

Squire

Banned
Conversely, I might recommend the OP to read more, and expand his/her vocabulary beyond gaming.

In all seriousness, absolutely.

I couldn't appreciate FFXII for a variety of reasons at launch. But I reconnected with it after I got way into Shakespeare in high school. Let us Cling Together released around the same time and that's just as wonderfully written.

Honestly, I'd go so far as to say Smith and Reeder do some of the best writing in games period (and obviously that's on top of Matsuno).

You should definitely explore this stuff, OP. Also, while we're on the subject of plays, find some stuff by Sam Beckett. You seem to like Nier, so he's right up your alley.

Famassu

I don't mind War of the Lions or FF12's translation. But FF14 had the worse of it I think.

Speaking of ff14, why does everyone except beast tribes speak in an english accent? It's such a diverse continent.
FFXIV is horrible with non-VA'd dialogue. I find the VA'd dialogue is pretty decent, probably since they want to keep that a bit more manageable from a length-POV to save on VA costs, so it doesn't just go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on without any notion of pacing or anything interesting going on most of the time.

Philippo

Idk, as a non native english speaker i looooved reading those lines when i was in ealry high school.
The localization team definitely hit their goal of making it theatrically dramatic, at least with me.

But yeah, those screens taken by themselves are quite hilarious.

mieumieu

In days of yore, verbs of movement used to be used with the verb To Be. Hence why the line "Thunderbirds are go!" is technically grammatically correct.

Sometimes they even removed the lexical verb. For instance, "I am to Rome", meaning "I go to Rome".

Source: I'm an English philologist.

or to directly quote King James Bible since people may need examples to be convinced:

"I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?" - Luke 12:49

OP, you actually got me interested in playing this ^_^

I played the original on my PSX at the time and loved it, but the translation was reeeeeally bad. Looks like it's much better now. But I see what you mean, it's a matter of preference. Maybe it's because English is not my native language: I'm a Brazilian, and I hate it so much when this kind of language is used in Brazilian Portuguese.

Didn't 8-4 do those? Those guys are great, but this is Smith and Reeder's territory.
8-4 did Dragon Quest VI and they stuck with what DQIV and V had done for consistency (which in turn kept the new localised canon used since DQVIII). This of course means some things were different to how they would have approached it. They did talk a bit about in one of their podcasts.

It is also worth noting the accents got seriously dialed back (but still exist) after DQIV which is the one everyone complained about the accents being too much (but even there only the "Scottish" first chapter was really bad, the "Russian" second chapter can be a bit hard for people and I don't recall anyone complaining about the "French" fourth chapter).

fvng

OP, you actually got me interested in playing this ^_^

I played the original on my PSX at the time and loved it, but the translation was reeeeeally bad. Looks like it's much better now. But I see what you mean, it's a matter of preference. Maybe it's because English is not my native language: I'm a Brazilian, and I hate it so much when this kind of language is used in Brazilian Portuguese.

It is a mortal sin not to play this game. I don't care which version you have

Wulfram

I generally prefer functional prose to archaic fantasy style stuff, but based on what people have quoted this translation seems to carry it off pretty well.

Jonnax

The new translation looks to be more competently written.

Have you read any classic English books? Shakespeare of course but stuff like A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations, Pride and Preduice, Wuthering Heights etc.

"Tough... Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God"
Sounds like something out of a cheesy action film.

I really enjoyed it, but admittedly, War Of The Lions was the first chance I ever received a chance to play the game. So there isn't much point of comparison for me. In a bubble though, I really enjoyed the localisation.

Rymuth

One of the best translations there is.

You seriously want to go back to "Hokuten Knights"?
To be fair, Hokuten Knights always gave me a mental image of a band of roaming knights of Kenshiro look-a-likes (100% serious here) so it's all right in my book.

TheYanger

What a strange topic...nothing in the OP is remotely difficult to understand or bizarrely written. It's absolutely the same kind of dialogue you'd read in your average fantasy novel or hear spoken in random medieval type films or tv shows.

Now, don't ge tme wrong, I haven't played the game (only the PS1 original) so I don't know much about the newer translation, it might still suck, but those lines on their own seem perfectly fine. I would go as far as to say that anyone has to even remotely 'think' while reading this is order to parse it should probably read a bit more in general. I don't mean that as an insult, so much as that this is not what I expected based on the thread title and it's bizarre to me that any native English speaker could actually have to consider the meaning of these lines.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people seem to be attacking the OP for not appreciating archaic English. That's unfair. He's not appreciating badly done archaic English, which is different. For example, "you speak false" has never been a meaningful English sentence. You could have "you speak false words" or "you speak falsely" or "you speak falsehoods", but not "you speak false". The translation in question is filled with examples of this, and if you actually have had any kind of appreciable exposure to Renaissance English literature, it's rather jarring. Very few stand up for Engrish, so why are we defending the functional equivalent that is Engrisc?

TurboKiller

Neo Member
I've heard this argument before and I don't get where they are coming from. All the quotes in the OP are perfectly understandable and they make a lot more sense than the original translation ever did. Arguing that you don't like it is one thing, arguing that the OG translation is better is just wrong headed.

Also that style of writing fits the setting of the game quite well.

Isotropy

A lot of people seem to be attacking the OP for not appreciating archaic English. That's unfair. He's not appreciating badly done archaic English, which is different. For example, "you speak false" has never been a meaningful English sentence. You could have "you speak false words" or "you speak falsely" or "you speak falsehoods", but not "you speak false". The translation in question is filled with examples of this, and if you actually have had any kind of appreciable exposure to Renaissance English literature, it's rather jarring. Very few stand up for Engrish, so why are we defending the functional equivalent that is Engrisc?

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on English literature, but most of those lines I've heard in other media with similar settings. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

WotL's translation isn't as good as Vagrant Story or FFXII, but it gets the job done just fine I think.

Yarbskoo

rVKm6Ms.png

This guy are come.

Top Bottom