• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Karak

The graphics are technically better (engine upgrade, IQ upgrade, performance upgrade) but the art direction and set design is far far worse -- depending on context, the latter can be included in "graphics" discussion. See: Killzone 2.

Pretty much this, plus the animation really seems even more off but that might be due to how the game plays now which is a bit different than the prior title. Also there seem to be more mistakes here, weird geometry issues, and the popin is noticeable compared to the first quite easily. Doesn't mean its bad just means it brings it down a bit if you notice those things.
But man I adored some of the later boss stuff(aside from the one that I think most will complain about). Just epic.

J3nga

While characters models look fine, the environment looks unimpressive the least to say @ maxed out, ID tech5 really shows that it's out of the game or as they called it for TEW2 STEM engine. PREY does not have amazing graphics as well, but the art design helps it more there than it does here, sometimes environment looks too sterile or something even comparing to the original.
I chose to play on nightmare and dear boy, those first mobs you encounter really want you dead. Those are short mine impressions up until chapter 3. i7-6700K, R9 390x, 16GB RAM, W10, 2560x1080 and I'm actually very satisfied with the performance for the most time having 50-60FPS maxed out(TAA) with occasional dips to mid 40's which I'm fine with.

Zeneric

I played the first game on Survival difficulty. Should I stick to the same difficulty for this game too? Or ramp it up to Nightmare?

Dave1988

You know, I'm kinda surprised Mikami didn't push for 60fps on consoles. This game is certainly no looker to justify the framerate it has.

kodecraft

You know, I'm kinda surprised Mikami didn't push for 60fps on consoles. This game is certainly no looker to justify the framerate it has.

Mikami is actually old school in his design philosophy. He actually likes 30fps, I've read that somewhere. So it makes sense that it's the template used for his games.

kc44135

Damn, this is unjustifiable.

Thanks for the info. I will wait for a Pro patch, or maybe wait and get it on XOX later this year.

Is no pro support confirmed?
I might want to change my order...

Off the list it goes. Unacceptable.

Yeah, I'm having second thoughts because of that.

Seems ridiculous, all things considered.

Yeah dudes, same here. Glad I'm not alone. No PRO support in a AAA game especially is just unbelievable. Pre-order cancelled. Not buying any game this month without PRO support or that has microtransactions/loot boxes... Damn, guess that just leaves Mario, lol.

I played the first game on Survival difficulty. Should I stick to the same difficulty for this game too? Or ramp it up to Nightmare?

Do not do this.
The developers have already said they dropped the difficulty of each mode so that casual players can simply play through and see the story, it's also probably why all the streamers and reviewers complained about too much ammo as normal mode is now the same as easy was last time round.
You should have no problems with nightmare if you played the last one on normal.

-MD-

Something about this game just feels off to me, the movement feels weird.

Do not do this.
The developers have already said they dropped the difficulty of each mode so that casual players can simply play through and see the story, it's also probably why all the streamers and reviewers complained about too much ammo as normal mode is now the same as easy was last time round.
You should have no problems with nightmare if you played the last one on normal.

I beat the first game on akumu with like no issues and nightmare in this one is pretty damn challenging so far so...

I only have 2.5 hours played so it could get easier later on but currently I wouldn't tell folks that played the original on Survival to choose Nightmare this time.

DVCY201

Difficulty Mode Details

Classic Mode gets you 7 saves, no autosaving, and Sebastian cannot be upgraded. Also, unlockable costumes are in (which is awesome, they are a fun part of RE).

No Pro Support is LAME. I was debating about getting it Day 1 even though I'm tight for cash, but I'll wait now until an official response is made

rtcn63

Difficulty Mode Details

Classic Mode gets you 7 Saves, no Autosaving, and Sebastian cannot be upgraded. Also, unlockable costumes are in (which is awesome, they are a fun part of RE).

That is... kinda stupid. You can just play Nightmare and self-impose hard saves + no upgrading. Why not just give us something equal to the old Nightmare? In a way we lose a difficulty level, ignoring fuck-that-shit Akumu.

Although hearing that Nightmare itself is inbetween the original's Survival and Nightmare difficulties is a positive... if that turns out true in actual gameplay.

addyb

I was looking forward to playing this tonight but my simply games order surprisingly didn't show so tomorrow then.

Big fan of the original despite its questionable spikes late game.

Was able to get a few hours in this morning and am enjoying it so far.

I had to turn down shadows and SSAO to high as the performance hit wasn't worth it.

I am running a 1080ti, 6700k @ 4.5, 32GB @ 3200, running of a SSD at 1440p. Opening area I was in the high 80s with fluctuations into the 100s. Seems that beginning scene has some performance hiccups here and there.

It is always nice to hear people pronounce Castellanos correctly as my name is constantly butchered. I get people saying it 100 different ways. One of the reasons I like this game is that we share the same last name since I don't see it used often or even at all.

rtcn63

I had to turn down shadows and SSAO to high as the performance hit wasn't worth the performance impact.

I am running a 1080ti, 6700k @ 4.5, 32GB @ 3200, running of a SSD at 1440p. Opening area I was in the high 80s with fluctuations into the 100s. Seems that beginning scene has some performance hiccups here and there.

It is always nice to hear people pronounce Castellanos correctly as my name is constantly butchered. I get people saying it 100 different ways. One of the reasons I like this game is that we share the same last name since I don't see it used often or even at all.

Sebastian Castelly Rock is canon you can't change that

Azzanadra

Hmmm, torn between Survival and Nightmare difficulty. I was perfectly content with how Survival was in the first game.

Yeah the new difficulties seem weird, I feel like survival will be too easy and nightmare too hard. In addition if I do choose nightmare as I prefer it being too hard over too easy, there won't be much replayability outside of ng plus because classic doesn't really interest me.

Kiro

Hmmm, torn between Survival and Nightmare difficulty. I was perfectly content with how Survival was in the first game.

Me too. Survival was beatable and had challenging moments but not frustrating. Nightmare I got to chapter 3 and got frustrated after that.

Not sure what to pick this time.

addyb

I had to turn down shadows and SSAO to high as the performance hit wasn't worth the performance impact.

That's pretty cool. I want a game where the protagonist has my name although I don't see how they would make a game with Sexual Tyrannosaurus unless it was a predator game ;)

While characters models look fine, the environment looks unimpressive the least to say @ maxed out, ID tech5 really shows that it's out of the game or as they called it for TEW2 STEM engine. PREY does not have amazing graphics as well, but the art design helps it more there than it does here, sometimes environment looks too sterile or something even comparing to the original.
I chose to play on nightmare and dear boy, those first mobs you encounter really want you dead. Those are short mine impressions up until chapter 3. i7-6700K, R9 390x, 16GB RAM, W10, 2560x1080 and I'm actually very satisfied with the performance for the most time having 50-60FPS maxed out(TAA) with occasional dips to mid 40's which I'm fine with.

Prey isn't running on any version of id Tech. It's Cry Engine.

CryptiK

Game is great so far. Just fucking around in the hub. Finished the first major side mission and the pit stop. I thought I was going to hate the open world area but nope the atmosphere is lit.

Bl@de

Looking forward to playing this tomorrow. Loved the first game (bought it on release and finished it in 2 weeks) and this is the second day one game for me this year (after RE7). Reviews sound good and performance shouldn‘t be a concern with a 1080 ti. I‘m quite confident that I will like EW2 even more than RE7 (which was a pleasant surprise). EW is my preferred style of survival horror compared to modern RE (and Silent Hill is ... well let‘s not talk about it...). Mikami knows best.

Edit: Third day one title ... how can I forget Persona 5...

Trevelyan

Banned
So I haven’t been following the game at all, but bought it anyway. I’m sure the game isn’t open-world, but is it more like a bike tire? A decent sized main hub with spokes that branch off into smaller-ish, but still kinda open areas?

Looking forward to playing tonight.

TentPole

Its pretty good. Higher just does damage adjustements with items drops differences

This is inaccurate. Gamespot put up a video showing additional enemies on nightmare mode and Bethesda says that more difficult enemies will appear earlier in the game though I haven't seen it. Very similar to the nightmare mode that you could unlock in the original but this time it is unlocked from the start.

Bethesda actually just says that more difficult enemies will appear, but not necessarily that they appear earlier in the game. though I suspect that they will based on nightmare mode from the first game.

Karak

This is inaccurate. Gamespot put up a video showing additional enemies on nightmare mode and Bethesda says that more difficult enemies will appear earlier in the game though I haven't seen it. Very similar to the nightmare mode that you could unlock in the original but this time it is unlocked from the start.
Ah didn't know about additional enemies. Didn't seem like that. But thats even cooler for folks who want to start at nutcrunch difficulty :)

Ateron

Is there anyone with early ps4 copies that can give their impressions on the framerate? I loved the first one, but boy it sure wasn't an example of pristine performance.

I have a pro and sadly, it seems like the only way to have some enhancements will be through a patch. This has left me torn on the game because it really doesn't make any sense, but at the same time, I really want to play it.

The performance will either make or break my decision to get it tomorrow. On the bright side, if it has no pro support, boost mode is an option and maybe it can help in smoothing out the framerate, if it suffers from noticeable drops, that is.

kc44135

Is there anyone with early ps4 copies that can give their impressions on the framerate? I loved the first one, but boy it sure wasn't an example of pristine performance.

I have a pro and sadly, it seems like the only way to have some enhancements will be through a patch. This has left me torn on the game because it really doesn't make any sense, but at the same time, I really want to play it.

The performance will either make or break my decision to get it tomorrow. On the bright side, if it has no pro support, boost mode is an option and maybe it can help in smoothing out the framerate, if it suffers from noticeable drops, that is.

Boost Mode will help with framerate/loading times. It won't give you enhanced graphics/resolution though. Why'd they have to skip PRO support? It's so stupid! :(

Truant

Do not do this.

Do you have a source for this?

Karak

So I haven't been following the game at all, but bought it anyway. I'm sure the game isn't open-world, but is it more like a bike tire? A decent sized main hub with spokes that branch off into smaller-ish, but still kinda open areas?

Looking forward to playing tonight.

Thats correct. Its sections you go to each with safehouses that you then branch off from. It changes a bit in some acts especially later on but then might go back to normal at the end of it. The easiest way to describe it is hubs with open area locations. Some smaller, some pretty big.

Top Bottom