• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5: hundreds of cars (120 new), 24 players online

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I never understood why these racing sims (not just Forza) need so many cars. I'd love to see the cars on which cars are actually used.

i dont personally understand it either, but from turn 10's perspective its obvious. money. lets face it, # of cars is a HUGE feature list number to taunt and influences a lot of purchases. look at the popularity of car pack dlc. in a game with 500+ cars. crazy. wish people had the same fervor for # of tracks.

120 cars total would be fine with me, let alone hundreds. I only drive about 10 or so and stick with an R1 once I get it and it's allowed in a race. I'll take hundreds of tracks, though.

Ha, I'm the same. Having 100's of cars is great because then people can pick "exactly" what they want but in the end I usually just choose 5-10 and then it comes down to memorizing tracks, which there needs to be A LOT.

24 is great. I'm really starting to warm up to the XB1 and Forza 5 honestly. I hope it's offline too.

[Insert_Wheel_Support_Rant_Here]

I never understood why these racing sims (not just Forza) need so many cars. I'd love to see the stats on which cars are actually used.

People like different cars for the most part. I remember when my house was obsessed with GT3, we all had varying cars we really liked for races. Same in Forza 4, my girl loved driving Subarus while I drove a Volvo. Limiting to just "supercars" and "classics" is redundant because few people notice the difference between 4 different supercars while a 2002 Volvo S80 and Subaru WRX are different beasts on the course. While people may not use all of them, it makes for great variety in the races you can have (Datsun B210 club!) and gives people a chance to maybe drive their own car around a track (why I used a Volvo).

lil smoke

Banned
Definitely will need to relook at no. of laps, it was already a problem in FM4. Please more sophistication and logic with 24 cars on one track!

- skill based matchmaking should help a little, but not completely... as we know some of the best drivers with egos that cause as many problems on track as the amateurs. Trying to get ahead at the first corner because of the need to win too badly and prove they are better than everyone else at video games.

p3tran

Banned
I will have fun beating you in batches of 23. :pppP

ForzaGAF open wheeler championship cannot start soon enough!

shinnn

True, I think there were only about 30 or so cars available for Autovista in F4 so I would think they would need to go back to most of the cars if they are indeed all available this time.

The FM4 limit is more to do with the voice over than the models itself. Now they are using a generic voice for Forza Vista.

ElNino

The FM4 limit is more to do with the voice over than the models itself. Now they are using a generic voice for Forza Vista.
Sure, but I think they would still need to look at the models of cars not in FM4 Autovista if they are all going to be in the FM5 Forzavista.

saladine1

I never understood why these racing sims (not just Forza) need so many cars. I'd love to see the stats on which cars are actually used.

There's plenty of people in the world all with varying tastes.

That's one thing I love about Forza. The variety is ridiculously good.
Sure, a 409 Impala doesn't really make for a great racing car, but that's not what everyone does. Some like to race, others like to cruise in cars that have some nostalgic value.

That's the great thing about GT and Forza. Plenty of options to enjoy..

lil smoke

Banned
More diversity = more people driving what they actually want to drive.

Completely.

I prefer more variety than the same cars. To choose 150 cars would result in the most popular cars, for which I would want none of. I enjoy the oddball cars, and trying to push them to compete with everything else.

When it comes to cars and tracks, I am always for variety and choice, rather than elimination. Those have to be the staples, and everything else gets worked around that.

Ty4on

It's why Smash Bros. has so many characters. The same way it is awesome to see Mario fight Sonic, Snake and Megaman it is awesome to see everything from a tiny Peugeot 107 to a big Hummer race together. What turned out to be one of Gran Turismo's killer features (especially in Japan) was that people who got the game could drive and own the car they owned in real life.

These games also turn a bit into a car collection game as you try to buy, drive and tune dozens of cars. There's usually a car for every mood I'm in :p

shinnn

Sure, but I think they would still need to look at the models of cars not in FM4 Autovista if they are all going to be in the FM5 Forzavista.
Tons of cars in FM4 are autovista models already. Probably all Forza Horizon cars are (200+).

non-autovista cars:

iE19RtNx418mG.JPEG

ixnOnKtweVPXz.JPEG

iAy6Qs5MYEkj3.JPEG

i3b4LVsoCsJu6.JPEG

ihOa6oZJvCtY3.JPEG

ibzCsIodcARd4H.JPEG

imeW9zOcpI0ef.JPEG

ib2v0YSDygqLnX.JPEG

skybald

That is some good news. I always like good news coming from Turn 10. Also made me realize that if Forza were to bomb it could easily become a F2P game in the next iteration.

LQX

For fucks sake they need to show more videos of this game. It is a fucking racing game for shits sake and they are being so damn stingy with the info.

24 cars on one track at the same time on Live? Holy shit.

Has anyone tried tweeting the Turn10 guys for confirmation? This is ridiculously amazing news.

Seanspeed

Banned
would be nice to have "# of laps" as an option under difficulty before each race. to incentivise people to race with more you'd earn more credits equivalent to the increase in time invested.
In singleplayer?

Maybe, but I think single-player is just so different from multiplayer in Forza. A race in single-player tends to be won or lost within the first couple laps. Not many people actually try and pick a difficulty or car that makes them 'competitive' with the AI. They want to win races. So yea, the extra money might be an incentive for some, but it creates boring races and I don't want people equating somewhat longer races with boring races.

The problem is that Turn 10 thinks everybody just wants these quick 'bang bang' races online. I don't think it would really deter many people if you bumped up the average race time from 6-8 to 10-12 minutes, though. That's comparable to a match of team deathmatch in Call of Duty, so its not like people's attention spans are that short.

Because people love variety when it comes to cars.

Its also fantastic for online, when you have more than just a small handful of competitive cars to use.

lil smoke

Banned
In singleplayer?

The problem is that Turn 10 thinks everybody just wants these quick 'bang bang' races online. I don't think it would really deter many people if you bumped up the average race time from 6-8 to 10-12 minutes, though. That's comparable to a match of team deathmatch in Call of Duty, so its not like people's attention spans are that short.
10 minutes is fair, it could actually work as a filter to keep the certain 'impatient' racer types away. I hope they just offer sensible options for everyone.

I think attention span Forza vs. a FPS is a bit different dynamic. running around shooting at anything in an open field for 10 probably is a little more forgiving than getting stomped at the jump, then driving alone for 10.

10 minutes is fair, it could actually work as a filter to keep the certain 'impatient' racer types away. I hope they just offer sensible options for everyone.

I think attention span Forza vs. a FPS is a bit different dynamic. running around shooting at anything in an open field for 10 probably is a little more forgiving than getting stomped at the jump, then driving alone for 10.

And you just described almost my entire online racing career in one sentence.

*tear*

Not many people actually try and pick a difficulty or car that makes them 'competitive' with the AI. They want to win races. So yea, the extra money might be an incentive for some, but it creates boring races and I don't want people equating somewhat longer races with boring races.

Good point. But let's imagine for a second that 'Drivatars' actually work and make for an AI that knows how to make a race challenging 100% of the race without being unfair or overgenerous... THAT would make me lose the power-player(driver) attitude and try really long races.
Let's all hope that at least in the years to come Turn 10 can create AI or 'Drivatars' like that.

hwalker84

Since all the cars are going to be detailed in Autovista mode I don't expect a massive number in Forza 5. 24 players online will be sick if true!!

Seanspeed

Banned

That's a good point.

Perhaps they should use the TruSkill ranking to better effect then. Use the matchmaking to keep beginner players together by keeping players ranked 15 or less together. Once you're consistently beating players ranked 13-15, you're bumped up into rooms with more experienced players.

Seanspeed

Banned
Good point. But let's imagine for a second that 'Drivatars' actually work and make for an AI that knows how to make a race challenging 100% of the race without being unfair or overgenerous... THAT would make me lose the power-player(driver) attitude and try really long races.
Let's all hope that at least in the years to come Turn 10 can create AI or 'Drivatars' like that.
I don't see that happening anytime soon, unfortunately. There's also such a range of skill levels that its hard to cater to everybody in terms of challenging AI.

And I don't mean really long races, either. I'd be quite content to see 5-6 laps rather than 3-4. It doesn't sound like much, but its a huge difference.

Zeth

I think I'd be happy with 120 total (beautiful) cars. Are we expecting over 200? I haven't been following the car-lineup speculation.

Oh man, the thought of 8/12 car multi-class online races...

m23

I think I'd be happy with 120 total (beautiful) cars. Are we expecting over 200? I haven't been following the car-lineup speculation.

Oh man, the thought of 8/12 car multi-class online races...

They've said a few hundred...no idea what that means but I'm hoping for around 300 cars at least. I like the variety and trying out different cars.

lil smoke

Banned
Well multi-class is an option.

Oh hell yeah I didn't even think of that.

If T10 support the hoppers better, multi-class will be where the game is AT.

Honestly it all comes down to how T10 implement this stuff.

in my own opinion, my own view, they always drop the ball. The content is there, but they fuck up they way it's done. Every Forza I find myself wondering, why didn't they just do this if they already can do that? Please no excuses!

Gestault

What does it mean 120 new cars? Are they pulling a GT5 and having "premium" and "standard" cars pulled from older games?

An...intelligent person might assume it means 120 cars that were not featured in previous Forza Motorsport games. Or someone might not figure it out and somehow extrapolate a two-tier detail system which isn't suggested on any level from the words here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
24p online is pleases me.

Not getting an Xbone for a bit but that won't stop me from enjoying the games or criticizing.

Darklord

Banned
An...intelligent person might assume it means 120 cars that were not featured in previous Forza Motorsport games. Or someone might not figure it out and somehow extrapolate a two-tier detail system which isn't suggested on any level from the words here.

An intelligent person won't assume and act condescending as hell either. It was a valid question.

Top Bottom