• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Shepard

If you are on the fence, don't worry, this one is the real deal. It's brilliant.Also, is there any way to call my pet, like in HM? One night my dog decided to sleep right on the bed spot where you save the game, and I had to wait until he moved out so I could rest...

Cerity

Does somebody know what the little star in the fish you catched means? I have a 1 inch sardine with a star that seems to have a higuer price whe you try to sell it, but im afraid to seel it if its more important and can be used for something else.

If I had to guess it'd be fish quality.

Is there a plan for this to come to consoles as well? Not port begging, just curious as it seems it'd be a hit there.

It's not likely at this point. This game is completely made by one person. If the game is a hit, he might be able to hire someone else to port it. Right now he's spending all his time on this version afaik.

First festival, first event that I lose. Fuck you, Abigail.

Kind of wish time stopped in the mines, like in some Harvest Moon games, it's the second time I collapse at 2AM because I don't even remember to look at the time. Fuck me.

I like how in some days some people just aren't in the mood to even look at your face, Penny just broke my heart man, I've been giving her stuff and talking to her everyday but this day she was sitting all alone, looking sad and almost completely ignored me. It hurts.

Is there a plan for this to come to consoles as well? Not port begging, just curious as it seems it'd be a hit there.

I wish! I hope that this game can become like Terraria and just get great support with expansions. But it's one dude making the game.. I wonder if he could grow his studio. Hopefully the game really grows and word of mouth helps. I hope streamers pick this up. I strongly feel this is GOTY worthy as far as indie game/casual games go.

It's really that solid. Where are the reviews anyway?

Also, Im not sure I care about a MP if it's just co-op farming. I love this as a SP game and hope we can see SP content down the road. Im just so happy with this game

Do you get an error when trying to install?

The game crashes when trying to install XNA. I posted in the Steam thread about it, let me quote:

I'm 90% sure that mine is because of XNA, the redist keeps failing to install (because of a problem with Windows Installer) and the game crashes before launching since that part is missing. So it probably is my PC.

The problem is that I can't fix it, tried all the guides on the internet and nothing worked, so I'm stuck.

[...] got stuck mid install due to "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed." I did all the things I could find (take ownership, change registry, change .dll, all of it) and nothing worked.

Edited the vdf files to bypass the install, still crashing. Deleted everything and downloaded it again, same results. I love Terraria and Harvest Moon, so I'm pretty disappointed about not being able to play. Not that it is the game creator's fault, my Windows is messing things up, but still, I really wanted to play this.

Alastor3

Where do you sell your stuff that you have grow ?

Should I put it in the container the mayor told me to? or should I find a vendor? I feel like walking in the town is the biggest time waster, it take so much time and day go by so fast

Edit: Nevermind, just got to the general store and sold them

Where do you sell your stuff that you have grow ?

Should I put it in the container the mayor told me to? or should I find a vendor? I feel like walking in the town is the biggest time waster, it take so much time and day go by so fast

Edit: Nevermind, just got to the general store and sold them

Put them in the shipping box and you'll get the money the next day.

Khilandros

Been following this game for a long time and boy did I buy this one so fast.

Loving the game and goofing around on my little farm (more like a dirt patch atm).

Uhhh, does the game save when you quit? I keep wanting to quit the game after a new day but i always forget and now i don't want to quit midday... i've been playing for a long time!

Also just a tip, be careful with your axe around your beans!!

what's the shipping box

The box next to your house.

Uhhh, does the game save when you quit? I keep wanting to quit the game after a new day but i always forget and now i don't want to quit midday... i've been playing for a long time!

Also just a tip, be careful with your axe around your beans!!

The game saves when you go to bed.

EDIT: Right, re-read that. I would think it only saves between days and not if you quit in the middle of the day.

I just quit the game and it does not save and quit.

Select the game on the steam list/grid
Goto Properties
Click the Updates tab and if you have steam cloud enabled, you will see x MB/951.68 MB

Thanks!

It'd be cool if we could purchase a bike! More exhaustion, but getting around town would be neat.

I LOVE the dilapidated community centre. Hngg. I wish I had a 3DS because I really am motivated to play Animal Crossing now. These games are the best

Lol, my economy has been fishing at this point. Ive gotten freaking good at it also. Found a treasue chest while fishing (is during the bait minigame, sometimes is really difficult to get it), and inside there where to pearls and some fishing bait.

Doing crop farming seems super expensive, so thats why I mostly fish.

Also, its the birthday of the mayor, but I talk with him and nothing happnes. Do I need to give him something? And also, how do you give things to npcs? You have 2 or 3 dialogues per day with each and there doesnt seem to be a menu to give things.
EDIT
And... is just putting the thing over your head and talking to them. Gave him a star fish, I dont know if he liked it, the portrait made it look like no, lol

If I had to guess it'd be fish quality.

Yep, and also seems to be what you catch most star fish when yo fish in one of the sparkling spots.

The game saves when you go to bed.

EDIT: Right, re-read that. I would think it only saves between days and not if you quit in the middle of the day.

I just quit the game and it does not save and quit.

Yep... i can foresee this giving me a lot of anxieties.

Super love the game though, really fun so far. Couple of things i don't quite understand yet though. Like, can we turn crafted items back into their components? I mean, source materials seem finite, but maybe trees grow back without me having to plant them i don't know. I wonder what the endgame economy is. Fishing is so hard! Yikes! Would also be very useful to have a hud button for the menu.

I gave a fish to the mayor in his birthday, he didn't seem too pleased with it......

Alastor3

Can you do something important during Characters birthday? It's the mayor birthday but no new dialogue with him when i talk to him

bounchfx

my first impressions are positive, except: 1) how the hell do I tell what season it is? the starter seeds say to only plant in spring yet i cant find the season mentioned anywhere

2) chopping down a tree lags the graphics. I don't understand how Lol. I can run witcher on medium high but a tree messes my shit up son. strange haha.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
my first impressions are positive, except: 1) how the hell do I tell what season it is? the starter seeds say to only plant in spring yet i cant find the season mentioned anywhere

2) chopping down a tree lags the graphics. I don't understand how Lol. I can run witcher on medium high but a tree messes my shit up son. strange haha.

The game starts in spring. I think the flower (pink for spring I think) up in the top right is the season indicator, but I'm not really sure yet.

The game also tells you what day it is whenever you go to sleep, including which season it is.

Garuda1One

is it me, or the character position on the map inaccurate ? like, really inaccurate ?

oh fyi im using a logitech f710, and works well..

edit : how the hell do you use gate ?

Cerity

If it's anything like HM/RF there's nothing you can really do on birthdays other than give gifts until you become close enough to the npc.

Top right corner has a little graphic that should change from season to season. Spring is/should be represented by the little flower.

Otherwise when you ship stuff, it'll tell the date and season on a overview screen.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
is it me, or the character position on the map inaccurate ? like, really inaccurate ?

oh fyi im using a logitech f710, and works well..

edit : how the hell do you use gate ?

Right click the gate.

The character position on the map seems to reflect what general area you're in instead of a specific location.

bounchfx

The game starts in spring. I think the flower (pink for spring I think) up in the top right is the season indicator, but I'm not really sure yet.

The game also tells you what day it is whenever you go to sleep, including which season it is.

rad, thanks dudes.

just built myself a chest, but it wouldnt let me place it anywhere? so i started spamming the button running around and it finally places but its in the middle of my house. is there any way to move it?

I'm really digging the vibe of this game. Mind you, the last game of this type that I played was Harvest Moon on SNES a long, long time ago. But this really captures that magic for me - I feel like a kid again. The perfect game to play after a hard day's work, and the perfect game to counter the super-stressful, sweaty Street Fighter V.

rad, thanks dudes.

just built myself a chest, but it wouldnt let me place it anywhere? so i started spamming the button running around and it finally places but its in the middle of my house. is there any way to move it?

You have to place it in a space next to you. Using the pickaxe on it should allow you to move it, at least it does with fences, flooring, etc. I don't know what happens if there's stuff inside of it though.

bounchfx

You have to place it in a space next to you. Using the pickaxe on it should allow you to move it, at least it does with fences, flooring, etc. I don't know what happens if there's stuff inside of it though.

ok ill give that a shot. as for placing it next to me, I'm using a controller so I really don't have any choice other than that, haha!

Cerity

Wish the chests counted as shared inventory when it comes to crafting. Bit annoying having to go back and forth all the time.

ok ill give that a shot. as for placing it next to me, I'm using a controller so I really don't have any choice other than that, haha!

I had a lot of problems if the wooden fences with a controller. Seems placing things that need to be exactly in that squre with a controller is busted.
Going to try tomorrow with the mouse, see if its easier to put them.

Great game, but its time to sleep.

mileS

Still the #1 selling game on Steam. Freakin amazing!!!! I bet the dev is completely blown away and overjoyed with the sales and support.

On my way home from work, first thing I'm doing is getting this.
Great to see all the positive things being said about this game.
Out of curiosity, how many are playing that have never played an HM game before?

Been playing for a while. Few questions:

- Is there seriously no faster way to make money? I understand that money here is necessary for big upgrades. But when one of my early game goals is to build a coop and a coop costs like 10K gold, and I don't even have a 1000 yet with crops taking forever to grow (and not giving you that much) it seems silly that the only other apparent way to make money is to fish.

- How do you gain affection from people? Seems like talking to them each day only makes them say 1-2 lines, it isn't growing affection.

So how the hell do I build fences.
My guy seems to put posts wherever he wants, and I never can make it work properly. Using a controller here.

When you have something selected, move the right joystick. You basically have to move the ghost fence near you until the square is blue.

Been playing for a while. Few questions:

- Is there seriously no faster way to make money? I understand that money here is necessary for big upgrades. But when one of my early game goals is to build a coop and a coop costs like 10K gold, and I don't even have a 1000 yet with crops taking forever to grow (and not giving you that much) it seems silly that the only other apparent way to make money is to fish.

- How do you gain affection from people? Seems like talking to them each day only makes them say 1-2 lines, it isn't growing affection.

I'm thinking you get to make exponentially more money as time goes on. I'm still on my second crop and low on money but it looks like i'll be making a lot more this time around. Also, they aren't exactly early game goals, i'm thinking they are going to extend far into the game even if they're given to you early. Like, the one about meeting all the town folk.

I haven't figured out how to get friendly either, but it's probably with special gifts. Or during events. Don't know yet. I'm thinking marriage is an endgame kind of thing. Which is sad because i already know who i want to, errrr, "be happy with".

Top Bottom