• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 3 / Worst 3 Call of Duty Campaigns

I've never either finished or played any of the CoDs before CoD4, so:

Best:
Black Ops 1
CoD4
Black Ops 2

Worst:
Black Ops 3
Ghosts
CoD 3

Black Ops 2 would've been my favorite if the Strike Force missions weren't required for certain scenarios to be accomplished, and the LA mission with all of the drones attacking was shorter. Though I really enjoyed the custom loadouts and story changing decisions you can make.

yo CoD3 came out before CoD4.

I meant finished, d'oh, CoD3's the only pre-CoD4 campaign I played but never finished

im_dany

Best:
COD2
COD4
BO2

Worst
BO1
Ghosts
MW3

Never played COD3 (even if I've owned the disc for quite some time), and never finished AW, BO3 and IW after playing the first few missions.

I've only played 5 CoD campaigns but I'd rank them like this

1. Modern Warfare 2
2. Black Ops
3. Modern Warfare
4. World at War
5. Modern Warfare 3

the top 4 some considerable way better than the 5th

What's so bad about the Black Ops 3 campaign. Blacks Ops 1 and 2 had great campaigns and I want to where Trayarch went wrong.

My favorite and least favorite COD campaigns are

Favorite
1. Call of Duty Black Ops 2
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
3. Call of Duty Black Ops

Least favorite
1. Call of Duty Ghost
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
3. Can't think of a third one

I stopped playing COD after ghost so I don't know how the recent campaigns turned out.

Lgndryhr

Best Campaign:
Modern Warfare
Modern Warfare 2
Advanced Warfare

Honorable Mentions: CoD 2 and Infinite Warfare.

Worst Campaign:
Modern Warfare 3
CoD 3
Black Ops 3

Never played WaW, Blops 1 and 2, or Ghosts. Have played CoD 1 - 3, MW 1 -3, AW, BLOPS 3, and IW.

Kalentan

No, it's complete garbage, one of the worst in the series. If you'll play MW remaster right after IW, it'll be even more obvious.

Sorry but no. Just no. Playing MWR and then playing IW made MWR look worse in comparison.

I like CoD4 but I haven't felt any need to go back and finish MWR's campaign.

Sorry but no. Just no. Playing MWR and then playing IW made MWR look worse in comparison.

I like CoD4 but I haven't felt any need to go back and finish MWR's campaign.
Sorry but yes. Hell yes. IW is one of the most uninspired and gibberish shit without any sign of creativity in videogaming history. Level design and story are so generic that you wouldn't be able to remember any name of characters immediately after you'll see end titles. Not to mention horrible flight episodes with jets that has no inertia and overall bad shooting. The whole game feels like it was made purely by marketing checklist, while MW1 had so many memorable moments and while still was a commercial product, at least feels like genuinely creative and diverse game.

Kalentan

Sorry but yes. Hell yes. IW is one of the most uninspired and gibberish shit without any sign of creativity in videogaming history. Level design and story are so generic that you wouldn't be able to remember any name of characters immediately after you'll see end titles. Not to mention horrible flight episodes with jets that has no inertia and overall bad shooting. The whole game feels like it was made purely by marketing checklist, while MW1 had so many memorable moments and while still was a commercial product, at least feels like genuinely creative and diverse game.

Talk about saying a lot without saying much at all.

Hell, half of that shit could apply to MW1, it wasn't as original or creative as you might think it was. It was simply borrowing from the hundreds of military movies before it. The characters in MW1. If you can even call them characters. They have no personalities, no drives, no histories. At least in IW you actually get to learn about these characters and have meaningful interactions with them. Reyes, Salter, and Ethan are all far more memorable than any characters in MW1, hell, more memorable than any characters in all of CoD.

The level design is actually pretty fun, and the structure was a nice change of pace in the series allowing you to do optional side missions. I'd argue that the levels themselves showed quite a bit of creativity. The horror-esque mission where you're on the asteroid that's hurtling towards the sun is a really inspired mission.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Best
Cod 2
Cod WAW
Cod 4

Great
Blops 1
Cod 3
Cow MW 2
Cod MW 3

Worst
Ghosts
Advanced Warfare ( even though multi was good)
Blops 2

Havnt played infinite or 1

Talk about saying a lot without saying much at all.

Hell, half of that shit could apply to MW1, it wasn't as original or creative as you might think it was. It was simply borrowing from the hundreds of military movies before it. The characters in MW1. If you can even call them characters. They have no personalities, no drives, no histories. At least in IW you actually get to learn about these characters and have meaningful interactions with them. Reyes, Salter, and Ethan are all far more memorable than any characters in MW1, hell, more memorable than any characters in all of CoD.

The level design is actually pretty fun, and the structure was a nice change of pace in the series allowing you to do optional side missions. I'd argue that the levels themselves showed quite a bit of creativity. The horror-esque mission where you're on the asteroid that's hurtling towards the sun is a really inspired mission.
Nice way to ignore my post entirely and shit on my opinion. "Personalities"? You mean whole ship of generic dudes without any personality except robot? Or evil Jon Snow that didn't had any charisma to be relevant main evil guy? They all have no drives or histories either, those biographies on computer in commanders cabin does not count as "deep history" for me. There is no appealing conflict, just another absurdly good dudes from whatever generic acronym fighting another evil space nazis.
Optional missions? You mean boring arena type jet fights without proper jet physics, as i mentioned in previous post already? Or those infiltration mission when you just visiting same goddamn ship over and over again, but from different routes? But okay, if you so impressed by design and story in this game, then good for you, i don't blame you. Maybe it's not the worst game in the series for some folks, but saying that it's "one of the best in franchise" is definitely overpraising and i'm just trying to say that this is controversial and not perfect game, that's it.

Best:

1: World At War
2: Black Ops 3
3: Modern Warfare 2

Co-op campaign is the best thing they can do. I should probably actually have Blops3 at one since it also had the zombie campaign, but I prefer the WW2 setting.

Worst:

1: Ghosts
2: Ghosts
3: Ghosts

I liked all the other campaigns but didn't actually finish Ghosts. That makes it the only campaign in the franchise I didn't finish to my recollection.

Is the infinite warfare campaign worth playing?

It took 4 pages for someone to mention Infinite Warfare, and the first person who did mentioned it negatively...

This is a travesty as IW is easily one of the best campaigns to come out of the franchise. Really hope more people take a chance on it and get to see so for themselves.

Springy

It took 4 pages for someone to mention Infinite Warfare, and the first person who did mentioned it negatively...

This is a travesty as IW is easily one of the best campaigns to come out of the franchise. Really hope more people take a chance on it and get to see so for themselves.
The thread was necro'd on page four.

The thread was necro'd on page four.

fair enough.

I stand by my statement of it being a travesty that the first mention of IW is a negative one — its easily one of the best campaigns of the franchise in characterisation, narrative, set pieces, setting, aesthetic, diversity/representation and any other metric people would define a good campaign by.

daninthemix

With some trepidation, I've made my way into BO3 and am about halfway through.

Apart from the inexplicable plot, the stupidest thing about this is the proliferation of bullet sponge enemies.

The basis of COD's gameplay is, and was always, smooth, fast, 2-3 shot kills. That's why it succeeded, why people loved it. So why in the hell would any developer try and apply that gameplay to Halo-style bosses and high health enemies? It just boggles the mind. I honestly think Treyarch are succeeding despite themselves, at this point.

Dead Guy

Best for me would be Black Ops 1. Found the story interesting enough and the missions nice and varied.

Worst would be MW3. Literally can't remember a thing about it.

Haven't played any of them past Black Ops 2

Van Bur3n

Best:
1. Black Ops
2. Call of Duty 4
3. Call of Duty 2

Black Ops' story was so good I was quite impressed. Call of Duty 4 was a solid introduction to intense modern combat for the series, and COD 2 is a WWII classic spanning across multiple epic campaigns. Shout out to the Russian campaign from WaW. Would have considered it a best, but the American campaign felt meh.

Worst:
1. Ghosts
2. Call of Duty 3
3. Call of Duty 3: Big Red One?

Never played the Black Ops games past the first one, and I stopped playing COD altogether after Ghosts, so I can't think of any other COD I found to be good or bad, just indifferent about. So I'm just putting Big Red One there as it was as bad as COD 3, only with Big Red One you're stuck with an annoying American squad. Ghosts was absolutely atrocious though.

MW1
MW2
MW3

Black Ops
Black Ops 2
Black Ops 3

I hated the FUCKING NUMBERS MASON shit from Black Ops it felt contrived.

Sometime about the Time posters in MW3 hit me like a brick

latest

Modern Warfare 2
Modern Warfare 3
Infinite Warfare

Modern Warfare
Call of Duty 2
Black Ops 3

This is all from what I've played - the only reason COD2 and MW are so low is that I feel they haven't aged well, even the remaster of MW1 still feels really old school. I can see why people like the COD2 campaign but it just felt like a bunch of disconnected storylines to me and unfun gameplay. Black Ops 3 is just shit.

Ghosts, Advanced Warfare, Black Ops (this one I need to play again) and Black Ops 2 were all good. World At War I need to play, and COD3 and 1 I don't want to bother with.

daninthemix

You guys weren't kidding about BO3. An absolute unmitigated disaster. Boring, bullet sponge robots, idiotic psychedelic sequences galore and a gibbering plot that seems like it was scrawled on the wall of a mentally ill person's cell.

Ghosts, on the other hand, is fantastic so far (6 levels in). I can't understand why you'd even mention it in the same breath as BO3. Plus, it is truly stunning in 4K.

I'm surprised at the number of people who don't like Black Ops 3. I thought the mind think was it was the last good game. I hated it and couldn't finish it.

World at War is my favorite followed by Advance Warfare. I know, I'm a mutant.

antitrop

I'm surprised at the number of people who don't like Black Ops 3. I thought the mind think was it was the last good game. I hated it and couldn't finish it.
It's unquestionably one of the worst games I have ever played. By time I finished that campaign on Veteran, I was in a pure rage. I don't think I've ever been more angry at a game as the closing credits scrolled.

Someone could intentionally try to make a worse campaign and still get a few things right by accident. Black Ops III is inexplicable.

It wasn't even mercifully short. Most CoD campaigns are as enjoyable as they are, because they don't wear out their welcome. BO3 went on for like 12 fucking hours, I couldn't believe it.

Alienfan

Best

Infinite Warfare
Advanced Warfare
Black Ops 1

Worst

Black ops 3
Modern Warfare 3
Any old call of duty game (they all suck, especially 3)

Modern Warfare 1 just feels so eh now, most of the campaigns after that game were more varied, fun and had better stories. I found it hard to go back, even though I had fun playing it at the time on release. The multiplayer is still great in its simplicity

Best:
WAW
COD4
COD:BO

Worst:
COD: Finest Hour
COD 2: Big Red 1
Ghosts

I feel like Im the only one who played Finest Hour and BR1. I still remember FH had a hole in one of their multiplayer maps that everyone used to use to get underneath the map. BR1 I barely even remember, it was so forgettable and unfortunately I can see the same trends from BR1 as i do with COD:WWII.

You guys weren't kidding about BO3. An absolute unmitigated disaster. Boring, bullet sponge robots, idiotic psychedelic sequences galore and a gibbering plot that seems like it was scrawled on the wall of a mentally ill person's cell.

Ghosts, on the other hand, is fantastic so far (6 levels in). I can't understand why you'd even mention it in the same breath as BO3. Plus, it is truly stunning in 4K.

Meh, Ghosts is easily the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Call of Duty.

I honestly don't get all the hate for Black Ops 3. It's not a great campaign by any means, but it's not the worst thing ever like many say around here. I'd much rather take the pure dumb insanity of its story over the completely stupid Patriot wank fest that is Ghosts.

Best:

Modern Warfare
Infinite Warfare
Black Ops 2

I actually enjoyed Ghosts campaign a lot as well. It had some great moments/set pieces with the space station, ODIN and the beach invasion.

I believe I have only finished 3 COD single player campaigns lol COD 3, COD 4 MW, COD MW2.

COD MW was obviously the best one I played. I can't really say worst as I remember literally nothing from COD 3 and COD MW2. I am not a big shooter fan but MW was a hell of a campaign.

Top Bottom