• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Games with no 3D

In its later life, fewer and fewer 3DS games are utilising the system's 3D effect, in order to push the system's capabilities to the max. There are also anomalies from earlier in the 3DS library.

I thought it would be a useful reference for those like me who appreciate the 3D effect to compile a list of 3D-less 3DS games, as there's little to no documentation elsewhere.

(For the sake of simplicity, let's not count side features such as Pokéfinder as making a game exempt from this list)

Pokémon Sun & Moon
Super Mario Maker for 3DS
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
Dragon Quest Monsters 2
7th Dragon III: Code VFD
SMT Devil Survivor: Overclocked
Zero Time Dilemma
Chase: Cold Case Investigations
Pocket Card Jockey
Boxboy
BoxBoxBoy
Ultimate NES Remix
Mega Man Legacy Collection
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest
Megami Meguri
Dragon Ball: Fusions
Final Fantasy Explorers
One Piece: Unlimited World R
Scribblenauts: Unlimited
Corpse Party
Dr. Mario - Miracle Cure
Fairune 1&2
Gudetama - Okawari Ikagassuka
Hero Bank 2
Kenka Banchô 6
Detective Pikachu
Mercenaries Saga 2&3
Metal Max 4
Momotarô Dentetsu 2017
Nyoki Nyoki Tabidachi Hen
Osomatsu-san Matsumatsuri
Pokémon Link Battle
Pokémon Shuffle
Pokémon Picross
Cubic Ninja
Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon Mystery Adventure
Puyo-Puyo Chronicle
Puzzle & Dragons X
RPG Tsukuru Fes
Sabaku no Nezumi Dan
Sumikko Gurashi - Mura o Tsukurundesu
Another World
Aikatsu series
Gotcha Racing
Aeroporter
A-Train City Simulator

Regiruler

The original BoxBoy didn't support it either.

Pocket Card Jockey doesn't but that's deceptively old given how long it took to come over here. I chock that up to game freak incompetence.

Interesting topic.

Four more additions from the top of my head:

Dragon Quest Monsters 3 Joker
Megami Meguri
Final Fantasy Explorers
One Piece Unlimited World R

I didn't know this was a thing.

Glad I didn't buy any of these games, expecting a full 3DS experience!

edit: Mario Maker is particularly surprising and disappointing.

Gaardus

Devil Survivor: Overclocked only used 3D for the demon fusion animation and the opening movie. It also makes virtually no use of the touch screen.

Stopdoor

Scribblenauts Unlimited on 3DS was entirely 2D except for the small number of video cutscenes, so I'd barely count it as 3D. Was kind of disappointed, thought it might make it an interesting port.

Dragonball Fusions

Only game I ever appreciated the 3D in was ALBW. Just seems to be hard to make it relevant.

Resident Evil Revelations + Monster Hunter = 3D amaze!

The MH games especially, as it's like playing in a terrarium where lizards/Dino's/dragons are living inside of the screen, it's quite phenomenal and I will miss this feature with switch

This list makes me so sad. Now that I have a new3DS, I actually like the 3D feature.

I'm going to miss 3D in games. And dual screen gameplay.

rekameohs

Banned
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth doesn't have any 3D. They said they'd add it in a later patch, but nope, just Nicalis being Nicalis.

Never really use it though. I usually find out about the lack of 3d support about halfway into a game. Especially on the OG 3ds. I have to admit they really improved it on the new 3ds.

-Setsuna-

Corpse Party
Dr. Mario - Miracle Cure
Fairune 1&2
Hero Bank 2
Kenka Banchô 6
Meitantei Pikachû
Mercenaries Saga 2&3
Metal Max 4
Momotarô Dentetsu 2017
Pokémon Link Battle
Puyo Puyo Chronicle
Puzzle & Dragons X
RPG Tsukuru Fes
Sabaku no Nezumi Dan

wondermega

I believe Mega Man Legacy Collection doesn't have a any 3D in the game play (does in some menus though, but I doubt that counts). Also looks like the Blaster Master re release won't either.

I think these are all really lame btw. I love older 2D games with the stereo effect.

I believe Mega Man Legacy Collection doesn't have a any 3D in the game play (does in some menus though, but I doubt that counts). Also looks like the Blaster Master re release won't either

I'd say it counts if they bothered to implement 3D in that respect, even if it's just menus. It's the games that literally disable the 3D entirely (the 3D LED goes off on an original 3DS) that always disappoint me.

Corpse Party
Dr. Mario - Miracle Cure
Fairune 1&2
Hero Bank 2
Kenka Banchô 6
Meitantei Pikachû
Mercenaries Saga 2&3
Metal Max 4
Momotarô Dentetsu 2017
Pokémon Link Battle
Puyo Puyo Chronicle
Puzzle & Dragons X
RPG Tsukuru Fes
Sabaku no Nezumi Dan

Woah - kudos for your immense contribution to the list!

I've played Detective Pikachu and Kenka Bancho 6 - quite a few of these slipped my mind.

The remake of Dragon Quest Monsters 2 also doesn't use 3D.

Lack of 3D for me is always a disappointment.

Oh damn - I'm playing Terry's Wonderland 3D at the moment and loving the 3D in it. Shame it wasn't used in the sequel.

khaaan

How surprising.

Virtual Console titles have no 3D, unsurprisingly since they don't emulate anything 3D.

I might be remembering wrong but I thought that some, at least the Gameboy Color games have a very slight 3D effect going on. Nothing in game, but it sort of looks like a screen in a bezel? I'll double check when I get home.

Narroo

This isn't accurate.

SMT Devil Survivor: Overclocked and Megaman Legacy Collection do have 3D effects. They're ports, and they didn't add 3D effects into the game play itself, but the games do have 3D effects for menus and what not.

This isn't accurate.

SMT Devil Survivor: Overclocked and Megaman Legacy Collection do have 3D effects. They're ports, and they didn't add 3D effects into the game play itself, but the games do have 3D effects for menus and what not.

As I said in the OP:
(For the sake of simplicity, let's not count side features such as Pokéfinder as making a game exempt from this list)

colonyoo

I might be remembering wrong but I thought that some, at least the Gameboy Color games have a very slight 3D effect going on. Nothing in game, but it sort of looks like a screen in a bezel? I'll double check when I get home.
They do, there's a special 1:1 pixel mode you can enable on boot that give a GB/GBC system border, and turning on 3D emulates the bezel effect. M2's GG VC entries did this as well, even going as far as to apply a 3D effect to all the parts of the system.

ee558c5e8b.png

Also to properly contribute, Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon Mystery Adventure also abandoned 3D support even though the first two entries had it, not that it really did much for the games anyway.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Had no clue it was that many. Not surprisingly I own so few from that list.

But really? Theatrhythm DQ? Pocket Jockey? FF Explorers? Just shocking.

Vespa

Appreciate all these games being listed! Was going to double dip on the 3ds OlliOlli port but found out it doesn't have a 3d effect so decided against it.

Magnus

Was disappointed to see Sun/Moon, a flagship franchise ditch 3D almost entirely and STILL have such awful performance issues. At least, on an OG 3DS. Christ the hardware's weak.

The developers of Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology decided to ditch 3D, sadly. This was on my "day one" purchase list but it's now in my "cheap second hand copy" purchase list.

I'm tempted to buy the NDS copy again instead considering that the new content in Perfect Chronology hasn't been all that well received by fans.

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
everything on 2ds?

in general, i loved that feature back in the day. these days i hardly use that feature. i dont remember ever switching it on in metroid remake.

Top Bottom