• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards Finalists

vivekTO

C1_IVRlUoAAqUBH.jpg:large

Link to the nominees

UNCHARTD 4 with 10 nomination closely followed by INSIDE with 9.

Surprisingly The Last guardian Nominated 7 Times.

OVERWATCH 6 Times

Outrun

I think FH3 should have got a technical achievement nomination.

Well done UC4. It is well deserved.

sackninja

What is the cut off date for being eligible for this, is it December 31?

Edit. Must have been caused of last guardian. The fact that infinite warfare got nominated for best character and not Noctis is insane to me...

vivekTO

Yeah it got only one nomination , that is Racing game of the Year against
DRIVECLUB VR

Atleast its success rate will be 100% :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Whats so surprising about The Last Guardian getting nominated 7 times? Game designers know a heck of a lot more about quality game design than the average gamer who couldnt get past the controls/camera and didnt pay attention then complained about broken AI.

The Last Guardian is a masterpiece and the professionals know it.

If you look at the categories TLG is nominated in it shouldn't be surprising. Top of its class in almost all of them

Also, great to see Inside get recognized

I swear to god Superhot has the best branding.
I can't see that game's name anywhere and not immediately say aloud:

SUPER
HOT
SUPER
HOT

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oh man I can't even choose in the category "Outstanding Achievement in Animation":

INSIDE
The Last Guardian
Overwatch
Street Fighter V
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

They all animate so well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Not sure why TLG isn't nominated for story, and I cant believe Stardew Valley is nowhere on the list

Minimalist story Im guessing. Theres a lot more questions than answers provided by the game.

Playdead will likely get a lot of accolades from their peers. That game is really just a perfectly designed game. Despite how much some of the puzzles made me think, I also never felt stuck. Even in Limbo, there were a couple puzzles that I had to kind of beat my head against, but INSIDE was just the perfect balance of challenge and progression. I can't see other game developers not acknowledging that balance, and all told to the player in game. No 2 hours of hand holding and tutorials. You learn to play as you're playing and they never have to explicitly tell you anything for you to understand everything (except the ending of course, which is certainly up for interpretation).

sackninja

Is Inside actually going to deliver on all this hype when I get around to it, or is it as horrendously overhyped as limbo? Hoping for the former, fear the latter.

dracula_x

nice to see DQB also

Family Game of the Year
Dragon Quest Builders
LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Ratchet & Clank
Rock Band Rivals
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS

Handheld Game of the Year
Dragon Quest Builders
Fire Emblem™ Fates
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Severed

Ultimadrago

Didn't this event give Fallout 4 Game of the Year for 2015? Bwomp Bwomp

Oh well, hopefully they notice a more deserving title this time.

Bronetta

Is Inside actually going to deliver on all this hype when I get around to it, or is it as horrendously overhyped as limbo? Hoping for the former, fear the latter.

If you didnt like Limbo then keep your expectations in check. Its a very different beast but still similar as an atmospheric puzzle platformer.

vivekTO

Have to say very dire state of Microsoft's Exclusive in the nominee list. I hope situation for them will get better in 2017.

yurinka

These nominations make sense. But I don't see Pokemon Go and Battlefield as top 5 games for GOTY nomination.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What is the cut off date for being eligible for this, is it December 31?

Edit. Must have been caused of last guardian. The fact that infinite warfare got nominated for best character and not Noctis is insane to me...

The fact that anyone thinks Noctis should be nominated is insane to me. He's an absolute black hole of a character. Even after the game ended I couldn't really characterize him beyond "kind to animals." The other three get at least some concrete development in places but Noctis is one of the worst characters of the year simply due to the game's inability to tell a story properly.

Not that the Infinite Warfare guy is a better choice, of course. One of the few nominations in any category that made me raise an eyebrow.

DICE nominated in the Sound Design category again, shocking! ;) They seem to nail it with every new game since Bad Company 1 and Frostbite, great work audio team!

Everyone has their personal favorites of course, but I'm kind of disappointed Gears was not nominated in any category other than Action Game of the Year. Yeah it has some issues, but I thought it was very well done game in many aspects. I guess some people perceiving it as a "bro shooter" probably didn't help its chances in some regards.

Time to listen to the soundtrack again. Great work by Ramin Djawadi, who has also composed Westworld and Game of Thrones soundtracks.

The Witness is a very glaring omission.

I found that it was both great *and* a little overhyped.

I enjoyed Limbo, and to me Inside is a better-designed and more focused follow-up on that. It was an enjoyable 4-5 hours where I can't really pick out anything that it didn't do well, but I honestly haven't thought about the game much at all since finishing it back when it came out. In a world where Limbo doesn't exist, maybe I would have been blown away by Inside but I sorta just beat it, thought it was really good puzzle-platformer and moved on.

I keep forgetting about Uncharted 4 in that backlog...

I do plan to play Inside, but I was salty I missed it on sale earlier this month and now am waiting for it to drop again. $20 just doesn't seem worth it for a 2-3 hour experience. Though I did love Limbo and played it at least a couple of times.

Pokemon Go as a game of the year nominee is an insult.

Overall good lists, but The Last Guardian should be instead of Pokemon. Elena Fisher should be as character. The Witness should have some nominations.

The fact that anyone thinks Noctis should be nominated is insane to me. He's an absolute black hole of a character.

People want Noctis? To me he's as mute as a mute character can be, he doesn't have a remarkable input on anything during the whole story.

BTW the awards are tomorrow.
The winners will be revealed at the Awards ceremony on Thursday, Feb. 23, at The Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas after the 2017 D.I.C.E. (Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain) Summit (#DICE2017). Awards ceremony will live stream in its entirety beginning at 7pm PT/10pm ET via live.interactive.org. Also being honored this year as the Hall of Fame is Todd Howard, legendary game director of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series.

Top Bottom