• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

That chancer that makes bland clothes in boring colours that don't even fit?

Maybe his sweets are sick.

fbklz3r5qfzpygm5ewx8.jpg

fuk u

I kid, I kid. I love buttonflys personally. There's just something satisfying about the feeling of popping the buttons undone one by one, but I understand that other people get annoyed with them. It's especially funny when dating someone who isn't used to them. I've had multiple instances where the first time I got intimate with a new girlfriend they tried to make a cheesy show of taking off my pants in a sexy slow manner, but would end up struggling with the buttons for like 20 seconds, only to eventually give up and ask me to do it myself.
Lmao, that look they give you like youre a wizard when you get them all unbuttoned in 0.2 seconds.

EVOL 100%

I'm not that fond of Rick Owens clothes either but that's because a lot of his stuff comes off as a bit too edgy and chuunibyou for me

But I respect him for pushing the envelope

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Talking about brands doing things different, I would likely never wear anything from A Cold Wall* but respect, Samuel Ross is working hard doing things different. I follow it just because I find it interesting.

EVOL 100%

Talking about brands doing things different, I would likely never wear anything from A Cold Wall* but respect, Samuel Ross is working hard doing things different. I follow it just because I find it interesting.
Yeah, I really like their holsters. Would I ever wear one? Fuck no lol

I'd probably buy a tee from them if they weren't prohibitively expensive for me though.

Also the last description I'd use for Rick Owens is bland. What kind of crazy shit do you have to be seeing to call Rick Owens bland, I really don't want to know

kiyomi

That chancer that makes bland clothes in boring colours that don't even fit?

Maybe his sweets are sick.

I can definitely understand not liking RO's silhouettes because they can be a bit out there, but I don't see how anyone could really say they're bland when compared to 90% of menswear that's sold. He keeps to a fairly small colour palette but it all fits within his clearly defined aesthetic and I respect a designer that has a vision for what he wants his clothes to be. Personally I love a lot of what he does, if not all of it, and I would love to own a couple of pieces one day if I can pull it off.

Out of interest what is actually bland about RO to you, and what counts as 'not bland'?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The thick soled Adidas Rick Owens are nice.

The loose black white and gray style is indeed overdone but I wouldn't blame RO for it.

NinjaBoiX

His clothing certainly has a strong visual characteristic which would usually go directly against the word "bland", but as that characteristic is almost always "black and baggy", I find it bland.

"Oh look, it's another Rick Owens garment, it's just like a normal black leather jacket but the arms are too long and the zip is at a jaunty angle."

Yawn...

(I do understand the appeal to those that vibe off it, I just find at all very uninteresting and homogeneous.)

Oxn

His clothing certainly has a strong visual characteristic which would usually go directly against the word "bland", but as that characteristic is almost always "black and baggy", I find it bland.

"Oh look, it's another Rick Owens garment, it's just like a normal black leather jacket but the arms are too long and the zip is at a jaunty angle."

Yawn...

(I do understand the appeal to those that vibe off it, I just find at all very uninteresting and homogeneous.)

I think maybe the word youre looking for is drab.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but no matter how hard I try to look at them in a positive open mind, Rick Owens' creations always leave me shaking my head in disbelief about this guy being successful at what he does. Also, it makes me realize why the facepalm emoticon was invented >:)

Having said that, kudos to whoever buy his stuff. Life is way too short to be worried about others' opinion, regarding something as mundane as clothing.

MoodyFog

Stay Black Norths from Acne came in. Very impressed how soft and dark they are, but I'm not sure they're tapered enough around the calf for my tastes.

Thoughts?

They sort of pile up at the bottom. Perhaps going for a 32 length instead of 34 would solve that.

They look fine, and you can have them shortened

NinjaBoiX

I think maybe the word youre looking for is drab.
Nah, it's definitely not drab, that to me says something is devoid of anything of note whatsoever.

As I say, I find it bland because it's just so homogenised and samey, it's invariably a pretty standard garment designed badly, seemingly on purpose. He's almost too afraid to break away from the norm, just enough to make you think "WTF" but for all the wrong reasons.
I just like how about 50% or more of NinjaBoiX's posts in this thread is about how he really doesn't like Rick.
Haha, fair enough, but my issue is that it's left field design in the most mundane, unimaginative way possible. He seems to just take a pretty standard garment, fuck up a few of the dimensions to make an artistic statement or whatever, maybe slide the zip over to one side a few inches then be done with it.

Bravo I guess, you're a maverick to be sure.
Stay Black Norths from Acne came in. Very impressed by how soft and dark they are, but I'm not sure they're tapered enough around the calf for my tastes.

Thoughts?

They sort of pile up at the bottom. Perhaps going for a 32 length instead of 34 would solve that.
They look good man, as someone else said just have them taken up a little. I literally can't buy pants without having to do this being vertically challenged. I've basically got to tack on an extra tenner to the asking price knowing I'll need them tailored. Sucks...

(My tailor is sound though so it's not too bad.)

NinjaBoiX

what's your left field design that's the least mundane, unimaginative way possible
I dunno, something other than designing a pretty standard, off the rack garment that looks just wrong enough that it's "unique".

I don't know what to tell you man, I see his clothes and think, that could look decent if it didn't have that trademark "it's all a bit out of whack" Rick Owens effect.

I get that it's his thing, to make it look a bit ill-fitting or whatever, but I don't see it is touched by genius, more as reaching for a hook without a great deal of genuinely unique ideas.

*shrugs*

kiyomi

Stay Black Norths from Acne came in. Very impressed by how soft and dark they are, but I'm not sure they're tapered enough around the calf for my tastes.

Thoughts?

Hard to see how much stacking is going on there from your pics but it's up to you how much you want, you can always get them hemmed or roll them up a little. Personally the bigger problem is they look too straight for my own tastes, I think I'd want a slightly more pronounced taper from the knee down.

I'm also wondering whether a slightly higher rise might fit you better? I can't really put my finger on it, and I'm not familiar with Acne's fits (particularly their updated ones), just wondering.

As I say, I find it bland because it's just so homogenised and samey, it's invariably a pretty standard garment designed badly, seemingly on purpose. He's almost too afraid to break away from the norm, just enough to make you think "WTF" but for all the wrong reasons.

Haha, fair enough, but my issue is that it's left field design in the most mundane, unimaginative way possible. He seems to just take a pretty standard garment, fuck up a few of the dimensions to make an artistic statement or whatever, maybe slide the zip over to one side a few inches then be done with it.

I feel like I could take that second paragraph and apply that to a lot of designers, though. Like a Vetements piece or something, which relies on "fucked up dimensions to make an artistic statement".

Anyways, this is relevant from a guy who posts over on r/malefashionadvice who wears a lot of thrifted suits and tailors a lot of his clothes, has a pretty well developed sense of his personal style etc. Here are some choice quotes:

https://streetxsprezza.wordpress.com/2017/07/20/going-full-rick/

For those of you wondering, yes, these items are quality made. Hell, this may even feel nicer than what I normally wear since this is quite literally a luxury garment. Most of my clothes are vintage or thrifted, so the texture is quite rough or aged; these Rick Owens pieces are extremely soft and elegant, in a fashion-y way. It doesn't seem to be fashion for fashion's sake; there's certainly a difference between this garment and the thousands of lookalikes that I've felt at H&M or TOPMAN.

The tee shirt (drkshdw level tee) is the signature long length, cut from a stretchy premium cotton that has been through a ”craft-made" treatment, which results in each shirt having small imperfections that make it unique. I didn't see any imperfections myself, but I did like the detailing on the inside seam. You can't see it, but that's the beauty of it, akin to a quote or monogram on the inside of your bespoke suit.

The sweater is weird because it not only has a slightly longer length and a body that curves in a concave way, but it has extremely snug arms. It could be a sizing issue, but I'm pretty sure that this design is intentional since this whole outfit is about subverting expectations, proportions, and silhouettes.

As a proponent of full cut, high rise trousers and short jackets , this outfit is very weird for me. I don't think it compliments my body well and it doesn't take advantage of what it can. However, therein lies the beauty of it. It's intentionally subverting our expectations of clothing. It's something different for guys that are tired of each iteration of suit, OCBD, and chino/jean that has been made for the past 150 years. Overall, it's a very unique aesthetic that takes a lot of cojones to pull off. Props to all of you who wear Rick Owens.

Lastly I think it's super interesting that you consider his work bland but find a lot of room to discuss his clothes, which I think is actually pretty cool. Even if you don't like it, we're still talking about it.

NinjaBoiX

Exactly, it's clearly a talking point so he must be doing something right! I guess it comes down to the whole "what is art?" question; a piece of music composed entirely of silence, a film that is literally three different shades of blue shown in sequence, Tracy Emin's "My Bed", etc. One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that.

And maybe in a few years everyone will be wearing clothes with the sleeves far too long or the shoulders boxed out four inches further than they should.

But in the here and now, I don't vibe off his clothing, I think a lot of it looks daft as fuck and people will stand and point but hey, subjectivity and all that. I wear Adidas trainers that aren't even the Y3 variety and straight cut jeans of all things, and they aren't even ripped! So what do I know.

Exactly, it's clearly a talking point so he must be doing something right! I guess it comes down to the whole "what is art?" question; a piece of music composed entirely of silence, a film that is literally three different shades of blue shown in sequence, Tracy Emin's "My Bed", etc. One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that.

And maybe in a few years everyone will be wearing clothes with the sleeves far too long or the shoulders boxed out four inches further than they should.

But in the here and now, I don't vibe off his clothing, I think a lot of it looks daft as fuck and people will stand and point but hey, subjectivity and all that. I wear Adidas trainers that aren't even the Y3 variety and straight cut jeans of all things, and they aren't even ripped! So what do I know.

Here are some of my favourite Rick fits for your viewing pleasure.

I have pretty moderate tastes as far as Rick goes so maybe you can find something to like here. I feel like a lot of the public's exposure to Rick are some goofy articles poking fun at his crazier runway stuff, but really there's a lot of variation within the brand.

I kind of like that third fit but you can get effectively the same look by wearing a black tee, black jeans and black chelseas.

is rag & bone denim good? their black jeans are a bit cheaper than the acne studios ones and they have a 5.75" leg opening instead of 7".

NinjaBoiX

Here are some of my favourite Rick fits for your viewing pleasure.

I have pretty moderate tastes as far as Rick goes so maybe you can find something to like here. I feel like a lot of the public's exposure to Rick are some goofy articles poking fun at his crazier runway stuff, but really there's a lot of variation within the brand.
OK, that second outfit looks pretty cool. I couldn't pull it off personally but I appreciate the aesthetics.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I kind of like that third fit but you can get effectively the same look by wearing a black tee, black jeans and black chelseas.

is rag & bone denim good? their black jeans are a bit cheaper than the acne studios ones and they have a 5.75" leg opening instead of 7".

Personally the ones I got are the best I have had. The stretch and comfort is top. I'm waiting for ssense to have a sale to pick some, since they usually have free shipping and free returns, at least in Canada. I got some Nudies in a store this week, skinny lin in grey, really like them too.

I like my pair a lot, it's really soft and stretches comfortably, but fair warning when they say skinny fit they mean it

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So i really like these Wings & Horns pants. Where can i get something like this without paying $300? Or just wait out a sale?

I understand that to the untrained eye they just look like a normal pair of charcoal dress pants, but i like the fit, the almost croppedness, and the tapered look.

They look nice, would have to try them. I don't like the horizontal seam in the middle of the leg, more visible on the back shot on their site.

I have wanted to buy similar pants for a while, butI have trouble figuring out what I have that I could pair them with. I think I'd have to wear black with them, even if I have some inspo photos or people pairing them with other colors.

Must be the third time I post those pics.

Oxn

They look nice, would have to try them. I don't like the horizontal seam in the middle of the leg, more visible on the back shot on their site.

I have wanted to buy similar pants for a while, butI have trouble figuring out what I have that I could pair them with. I think I'd have to wear black with them, even if I have some inspo photos or people pairing them with other colors.

Must be the third time I post those pics.

Wait is that the same pair of pants picture you found online? I want it even more now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wait is that the same pair of pants picture you found online? I want it even more now.

No it's not the same. It's pretty common though, so you should be able to find some others. Usually they're wool pants. I assume the ones shown were Aime Leon Doré, but that was probably in their first season or so, didn't know them then.

Edit: Now I'm looking for a light rain jacket I could layer under another jacket. The JE fish tail rain coat was really nice, but that was two years ago or so. I like having a shiny hoodie under a less-shiny jacket, like under a black denim jacket or some such.

jiiikoo

Banned
I just got a new pair of jeans and they're too long so I decided to fold them at the bottom, about 1,5 to 2 inches, how do you fashion afficianados feel about folding the leg of jeans? Never done it personally and for some reason I feel like I look like a tool while wearing them. Could be the fact that I'm really short and I think it makes me look even shorter. Not sure though.
This photo is quite accurate of how they look on me.

it's called "cuffing" and tons of people do it. doesn't make you look like a tool at all.

if you're that uncomfortable with it, you can just take the jeans to a tailor and have them hemmed 1.5 to 2 inches shorter.

Yeah, I guess it's just that I¨m not comfortable doing it, since I've never done it before and I've seen other's doing it but for some reason I think theirs look much nicer than when I do it. I'll try to do it for a few weeks and if I still feel like it's not for me, I'll go get them hemmed. Thanks!

I just got a new pair of jeans and they’re too long so I decided to fold them at the bottom, about 1,5 to 2 inches, how do you fashion afficianados feel about folding the leg of jeans? Never done it personally and for some reason I feel like I look like a tool while wearing them. Could be the fact that I’m really short and I think it makes me look even shorter. Not sure though.
This photo is quite accurate of how they look on me.

it's called "cuffing" and tons of people do it. doesn't make you look like a tool at all.

if you're that uncomfortable with it, you can just take the jeans to a tailor and have them hemmed 1.5 to 2 inches shorter.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, I guess it’s just that I¨m not comfortable doing it, since I’ve never done it before and I’ve seen other’s doing it but for some reason I think theirs look much nicer than when I do it. I’ll try to do it for a few weeks and if I still feel like it’s not for me, I’ll go get them hemmed. Thanks!
Cuffed jeans can look great as long as you do it right, a single inch or so cuff with some nice selvedge denim works wonders. In fact selvedge popularised the trend with the seams often coloured with aesthetically pleasing red or orange thread.

Just don't make the cuff too big or it just looks like your jeans are far too big. Same with a double cuff, you should always be able to see the hem line.

lol there was no date, acne studios had their discontinued skinny jeans (ace stay cash) in stock in my size in limited quantities but i hadn't gotten my refund back on the john elliott jeans so i couldn't buy them.

woke up this morning, noticed i got the refund, and bought them immediately.

hooray!

Top Bottom