• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Game Informer Details

Wubby

Sounds like it'll have the typical $15/mo. sub. After biting on SWTOR... no thanks.

Hope Bethesda can survive once this bombs.

Jibbed

Is it too much to ask for an MMO that doesn't look like ass?!

Seriously, why the fuck do huge games like Star Wars: TOR and this have to use a casual, cartoony art-style? If it looked like Skyrim, I'd be there day 1.

mclem

I give it a fortnight before someone makes a UI mod to automatically ignore anyone who makes an "Arrow to the knee" gag and thinks they're being all edgy and original.

Riposte

Oh look, a MMO which butchers the setting, themes, and mechanics of a series!

Can people stop asking for a Pokemon MMO now?

So this is a reskin of DOAC with a few new elements from other MMOs?

It's basically a meshing of WoW (phasing, raiding, "esports" PvP), DAOC (3 faction, RvR zone) and Guild Wars 2 (weapon based skills, public events). It also has general DIKU tropes like classes & XP curves, level-based zones, etc.

The one thing it contains very little resemblance to is an Elder Scrolls single player game.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Don't mistake me as trying to defend the game. I'm not a big ES fan, and I don't find myself being interested in another WoW clone, but it's too early to judge the game like so many are doing, and I find it particularly irksome to see so many people who don't normally play MMO's throw out these brilliant ideas that in reality have already been tried in some previous MMO only to see it fall flat on its fucking face due to poor implementation or some other reason, sometimes even because players aren't going to play the game as you'd like them to.

Anybody who was thinking they'd get an online copy of an ES game are ignorant, or delusional.

FIrst person MMO: done.
Real time combat MMO: done.
Player housing MMO: done.

And worked well on all of these.

The only reason these aren't happening is cowardice and shortsightedness.

Do you guys think they will recycle all their assets from the previous games or go in a new direction like KotOR/SWTOR (a.k.a. 100's of years in the past). Windhelm is in the game as I understand but during what time period? Maybe I missed that.

Sblargh

Banned
256px-Elder_Scrolls_Arena_Cover.jpg

And it's a great game too if you're into abusing the fact that enemies get stuck in corners.

Cyrano

Low-poly art is good for getting the game running on a wider range of systems... except SWTOR still has shitty performance on most systems, so I don't know.
Nah getting a game (like Elder Scrolls) to run on a wide range of systems is largely about the engine it's running on. Make an engine with highly compatible code and it will run on most stuff. Make one that doesn't... and, well. Yeah.

Coolwhip

Banned
Sounds like Wow, without the very strong Warcraft universe. And even Wow is on a big decline. This will bomb 99% certain.

R1CHO

Even if it is f2p, after reading this, i am out... good thing bethesda is not busy working on this thing.

Do you guys think they will recycle all their assets from the previous games or go in a new direction like KotOR/SWTOR (a.k.a. 100's of years in the past). Windhelm is in the game as I understand but during what time period? Maybe I missed that.

Apparently it's 1000 years in the past.

Even if it is f2p, after reading this, i am out... good thing bethesda is not busy working on this thing.

I'm interested, but skeptical. I agree though that it's good Bethesda isn't working on it. It would be heartbreaking to see a developer come and say, like they did with TOR, that, "this will be TES VI, VII, VIII, IX, and X".

cancel this ASAP.

Fucking horrible.

The art style of Rift / Everquest 2? thats like the shittiest most bland art styles there is.

It sounds like atandard boring old school MMO.

Aaron

This game sounds much better if you just reverse most of their choices.

-The game is not fully voice acted
-First person perspective
-The game doesn't use a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs
-Visually it doesn't look like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR
-You can be a werewolf or vampire
-Radiant AI will be present
-There most likely will be dragons
-There will be player housing
-There will be NPC romances or marriage

Apparently it's 1000 years in the past.
Which puts it right after Oblivion.

Sblargh

Banned
This game sounds much better if you just reverse most of their choices.

Which puts it right after Oblivion.

Oblivion is like 200 years before Skyrim. This will put the game either in the middle of the Second era or even in the end of the first. It may even have something to do with the Akaviri.

Here's how the first developer meeting went:

"Alright guys, we have the chance to bring something new to the table when it comes to MMOs. To adapt the things that make Elder Scrolls great to a player-driven online world, without sacrificing the sense of exploration and depth that an ES game brings. Let's do this."

"Really?"

"Nah, just fucking with you guys. Let's clone every other MMO out there and slap "The Elder Scrolls" on the box."

Oblivion is like 200 years before Skyrim. This will put the game either in the middle of the Second era or even in the end of the first. It may even have something to do with the Akaviri.

That sounds awesome, except the part where it isn't a single player TES game.

Sblargh

Banned
Copy/pasting the UESP to what I think it will be the setting if this "1000 years in the past" is somewhat accurate.

Fifth Century

2E 412 — Earliest mention of the name of the Dark Brotherhood
This reference was found in the journals of the Blood Queen Arlimahera of Hegathe. "...with the help of the Night Mother and her Dark Brotherhood, the secret arsenal my family has employed since my grandfather's time." It can be surmised that the Dark Brotherhood was already well organized in 2E 360 if her grandfather truly used them.[7]
2E 431 — Potentate Savirien-Chorak dies.
Savirien-Chorak and all of his heirs were murdered by the Morag Tong, ending the years of the Akaviri Potentate and the Second Empire of Cyrodiil. Some historians date this event in 2E 430.[7]
2E 432 — Orsinium loses its territory status.
One year after the death of Emperor Potentate Savirien-Chorak, Orsinium loses the status of an Imperial territory.[9]

Which makes sense with "defeating an ancient evil is only the beggining". The potentate of the Akaviri dies and now there is a vacuum in power the players must fill.

A bit more on the period if I am right, from a in-game book:

Not long after Alimahera's journal entry came perhaps the most famous series of executions in the history of the Dark Brotherhood. The Colovian Emperor-Potentate Savirien-Chorak and every one of his heirs were murdered on one bloody night in Sun's Dawn in 430. Within a fortnight, the Colovian Dynasty crumbled, to the delight of its enemies. For over four hundred years, until the advent of the Warrior Emperor Tiber Septim, chaos reigned over Tamriel. Though no comparably impressive executions have been recorded, the Brotherhood must have grown fat with gold during that interregnum.

Funny thing is for 99.999% Vampire class, Werewolf class, Dragon enemies a la Skyrim, flying mounts etc. will be paid expansion packs.

Companies that ape WoW cannot get in their dumb fucking heads they cannot allow to play it like WoW and add new stuff via XPacks - they need to have everything there on DAY ONE. WoW had 6 years to end up where it is now, WoW clones have 0-days to get there.

Aaron

Man, it sounds bad.

It would be cool to see all the ES areas in one world, but that's not worth paying any money for.
You won't even get that much because everything will be shaped to the usual MMO proportions, which means even the smallest caves will be massive, and the interior of huts will the the size of ampitheaters. Everything will be distorted the same way WoW and TOR are.

Woorloog

Banned
This does not sound like EVE with swords but neither it is WoW with three factions, not exactly.
Less than i wanted, more than i expected, so far. Still, most likely it will slide toward to latter one as we get closer to launch...
Ah, well, still following this with interest, though if it is a sub based game, i doubt i'll be playing it. F2P, sure, will even buy stuff probably.

Lumine

Aww, this is what I feared. Making it play and look like every MMO out there. Probably makes this one less interesting than others even. What a wasted potentional, I would've been all in if this had been a first person action MMO.

Tucah

you speak so well
This sounds like EXACTLY what I hoped this game wouldn't be. Generic MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin? They don't get why we play the series at all, pass.

This does not sound like EVE with swords but neither it is WoW with three factions, not exactly.
Less than i wanted, more than i expected, so far. Still, most likely it will slide toward to latter one as we get closer to launch...
Ah, well, still following this with interest, though if it is a sub based game, i doubt i'll be playing it. F2P, sure, will even buy stuff probably.

For years I always wished it would be SWG but Elder Scrolls.

-Huge fucking areas, but this time with lots of random caves, ruins etc.

-Skill based

-Player housing and towns

-Really good crafting system

-Great social interaction opportunities with other players

-Player economy

Stuff like this. Everything fits Elder Scrolls perfectly and for the most part most all the features are in the current Elder Scrolls games. Boy was I wrong in thinking an Elder Scrolls MMO would actually have standard features from previous Elder Scrolls games.

Also love their garbage damage control over why no real-time combat, "we can't do shit right so lets blame lag!". Despite the fact there is a sizable amount of MMOs out right now that do real-time, no target combat just fine. Same excuse with housing, "it's hard so we can't even give you an instanced house in one of the towns!".

These devs sound like just as big of a joke as the game does.

Darkkn

Well at least they found a efficient way of flushing money down the toilet. Always learn something.

Sounds absolutely boring MMO-ass-MMO circa 2006 featuring fugly 'stylized'(need to make this shit run on a crappy netbooks) graphics and everything else you expect from every other failing WOW wannabes.

Luthos

Art direction looks really "BLEH" thanks to the TOR engine.

Doesn't sound good. And it's not like I enjoyed the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO anyway.

theboosh

Neo Member
I can't wait for screens to come online, shit will hit the fan :lol

A quick google image search and you can see the whole spread.

Man, what an utterly depressing collection of screen shots. If you didn't tell me it was an elder scrolls game, I would just assume its some random fantasy F2P blarg and think nothing of it.

Top Bottom