• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Spoilers Thread

Raonak

Banned
I still think talbot's related to the djinn somehow.

We'll see him return in U4 as the mastermind behind the scenes.

I love the uc3 analysis section in the strategy guide. It had a great metaphor for the rings I didn't pick up on. It mentions how Nate always lived in Drake's shoes going on these adventures but now that he finally realizes his true identity and the real treasure that awaits him (Elena and a sense of family with her and Sully), he now has a new ring to live by with a clean slate... much like the ring itself.

If the tarrot card and her comment about where not any kind of magic then it was just poorly explained. They made a big moment out of that then just never brought it up again.

Also, yes Tenzin >>>>>> Salim, but...
Charlie > Tenzin

Jocchan said:
Ding ding ding.
So they centered this game around the relationship between Nate and Sully to make the fans happy (but now we're complaining that there weren't enough Chloe and Elena).
Chloe took a minor roll in this one after being a center piece in Two. Sully was minor in two and took a center piece here. I'm fine with that but with Elena it seems differant. It felt weird to inferr a major part of their relationship (engaged? and her knowing Charlie), but without anything about why she left him or what happened. Her part was good but too small I thought.

Technically a great game though a little disjointed. U2 remains my favorite in the series, with more colorful environments.

Time for a new franchise though. We know who these characters are now, time for a new story with actual surprises all the way through. And please add some kind of reward for combat like points unlocked to buy stuff (like resistance 3). I'd personally like XP and levels/perks/skilltrees etc but I think Naughty Dog wants more mainstream "easy to play" games.

Visceir

Amy's twitter posts confirm what I stated earlier in this thread.

I was fine with them not bothering to explain every little detail. I've seen posts like "they didn't explain the spiders?!" They were placed in those locations as a defence mechanism by whoever built those tombs, what more is there to explain?

Also, from the Sully shooting Talbot video I noticed there clearly was blood, when Charlie shot him there was no blood. Or it could have been the jacket, or Talbot was prepared for a firefight in Syria but felt more safe in the end.

Although I do have to admit that I completely missed the Elena/Drake being married thing. Maybe because Drake and Elena don't strike me as the type who would get married in first place and I thought the ring Sully gave him was meant to be more of a "how about you sport my ring instead of Drake's now and have me as a father figure"

Anyway, they should make a more light-hearted shooting free platformer/adventure spinoff with young Drake...for vita!

Dever

Banned
Did they ever show where Charlie got the tarot card? If not, I bet Talbot inserted it when he took the amulet.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Dever said:
Did they ever show where Charlie got the tarot card? If not, I bet Talbot inserted it when he took the amulet.
Thats what I thought too. When else would it get placed on Charlie? Also talbot clearly gets shot in the shoulder.

Gyrian

Noticed another extra bit of foreshadowing while replaying on Crushing.

In Marlowe's lair in London, Nate taps a jar containing one of the spiders that later appear in the traps ahead. I take it as confirmation that the spiders were left as security systems by Francis Drake so as to keep the truth concealed. The secret organization he belongs to has access to them (hell, it may even have been something he found in his voyages), and they never appear after Drake's trail ends.

Dever

Banned
NinjaFridge said:
Thats what I thought too. When else would it get placed on Charlie? Also talbot clearly gets shot in the shoulder.

I really like that explanation, too. It's just a magic trick, much like everything else supposedly supernatural in this game.

I won't mind if the next game has supernatural stuff like UC1 and UC2. Just don't make the enemies annoying as Hell.
Uc2 enemies are annoying because they're bullet sponges to the extreme if you didn't use bow. But uc1 enemies is not really annoying, just need change of playstyle to run and gun. I actually like them.

ShinHayase said:
Eternal sandstorm?

Also: cool username.
Thanks, I wish they did more with Marlowe as well, really awesome voice actor! Damn cold, and those psychological exchanges with Drake were interesting, yet in the end she kind of sucked... literally.

Honestly I feel like Naughty Dog should have limited themselves, being chased by LOADS of spiders, climbing through the flaming mansion, a titanic-style sequence, escaping an exploding plane, and like in raiders he's on a horse blowing up the envoy of cars with nearby rockets... whilst leaping between them and back onto one of many horses. Absolutely ridiculous but awesomely so!

Then there's the really boring parts, playing a kid who refuses to run in certain directions and is later chased by a dozen agents with often unpredictable directions, then later tumbling over and falling through the desert and collapsing. This wasn't fun. What were ND thinking? How did they get past the brainstorming session? They might have made for just good movie scenes but not good game play.

Dever said:
That's the only possible time but it implies they knew Charlie was going to fall of the tower well before it happens. That's why I think they dropped some kind of magical or supernatural element to this game.

CvGz

Neo Member
Patapwn said:
I'm pretty sure they weren't married, only engaged

In what engagements do both parties have rings? Also Elena inferred marriage when she told Drake the ring helps in the part of the world she was in. As in being a married woman.

BobTheFork said:
That's why I think they dropped some kind of magical or supernatural element to this game.
I thought Salim was going to be more important, a spiritual guide to Iram or a part of Nathan's imagination/subconsciousness driving him away from the nightmare hallucinations. In the end he was just a nice bloke, alas I shouldn't expect something that deep from the series.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
CvGz said:
In what engagements do both parties have rings?
Lots, around here :p
They're usually slimmer (and cheaper) than wedding rings.

CvGz said:
Also Elena inferred marriage when she told Drake the ring helps in the part of the world she was in. As in being a married woman.
Yep.

The Lamp

Why did Salim tell them to wander into that dark, deadly sandstorm and say "trust me" as if he knew that Iram of the Pillars was right there the whole time?

The Lamp said:
Why did Salim tell them to wander into that dark, deadly sandstorm and say "trust me" as if he knew that Iram of the Pillars was right there the whole time?
I thought it was weird that he said trust me and then got separated from them in seconds.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The Lamp said:
Because he's Sallah + Kazim.

EDIT:
BobTheFork said:
I thought it was weird that he said trust me and then got separated from them in seconds.
"Trust me... dumbass, I'll just dump you in the middle of that sandstorm."
"What did you say?"
"Nothing."

RoadHazard

Gold Member
King of the Potato People said:
Then there's the really boring parts, playing a kid who refuses to run in certain directions and is later chased by a dozen agents with often unpredictable directions, then later tumbling over and falling through the desert and collapsing. This wasn't fun. What were ND thinking? How did they get past the brainstorming session? They might have made for just good movie scenes but not good game play.

I loved those parts. Sure, they might be boring on a second playthrough, since there's no challenge, but I thought they were great in the same way the Tibetan village was in U2. Something different, a nice break from the action (ok, so there's not really any action before the young Drake part either, except for some brawling, but still). And I had no trouble with the chase scene either. Thought it was fun.

Sinthetic said:
I loved the ending speech by Sully. What a man. *Wipes away tear*
He might be fast becoming the Kenny of the franchise though heh, although I did fall for the whole build-up that he was really going to die. I predicted every turn in Uncharted 2, they got me here. That was good, Charlie Cutter wasn't a traitor nor did he die or get crushed to death, also was expecting Talbot to betray Marlowe towards the end. Marlowe could have been Nathan and Talbot's mummy and Sully as the dad but even I knew the writer wasn't that bad. Overall the story was better than Uncharted 2 but that might be just because the previous villain whateverhisname worshipped Hitler and Kahn.

This game could have been released as DLC episodes for Uncharted 2 actually, and split with the first one being mostly the darker locations like the London, its underground and the Citadel then the part II being the desert, sun-lit levels. That's because it felt like a game of two different halves, some characters are left on the bus but in the end it worked well enough.

RamzaIsCool said:
And then there is the Iram part. I read in interviews that Amy Hennig would have liked that the Shambala part in U2 was longer. If that's the case, why make it even shorter in U3? The whole ending feels rushed and kinda anticlimatic. Something an ending in a Uncharted shouldn't be like imo.

I would have killed for a few more chapters near the end. It's weird in that in a lot of the pre-release interviews they talk about trying to tackle sand and all that. The whole ending portion seems a little rushed story-wise. From the impressive Cargo plane crash onward it's like a rush to the end at Iram, which felt really small compared to Shambala. I really liked the game, but it felt like they spent too much time on the rescue Sully story arc after the first third of the game was the more traditional Uncharted adventure stuff.

I really got Indy: The Last Crusade vibes from the start, especially the young Drake flashback/Sully as father figure theme, but somewhere near the midway point the plot kind of meanders off track until the rushed conclusion at the end.

As much as I like Sully and the way they tried to explore that relationship with Drake, I think they spent a tad too much time on him. He went from being whore banging comic relief to a wise old father figure in a way that felt a little too forced.

I'll reserve final judgement for my second playthrough. Something just felt like they tried to cram too much fanservice and fan feedback into it like the Homer designs a car Simpsons episode.

Uncharted 4 will end with Atlantis being raised, then it collapses after the villain fails to use Triton's Trident to summon all the zombiemonsterdemon mermaids. Nathan escapes in the nick of time with a companion or two. Iram was a rehash of Shambala, the whole game was fundamentally Uncharted 2 with sand, sea and a possible new record for Britons killed.

hamchan said:
How come Sully goes to ends of the earth for Nate in this game, but in Uncharted 2 he was happily willing to ditch him and go on vacation?

I thought that Drake was in a bad place after separating with Elena, and was more persistent than usual. Sully was there to make sure Drake didn't do anything stupid.

Or well, more stupid than usual.

Massa

Uncharted 2 was just a treasure hunt, in this one they made it clear that it wasn't just about that at all.

Massa said:
Uncharted 2 was just a treasure hunt, in this one they made it clear that it wasn't just about that at all.

Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted

Of course it might be just a matter of setting. I doubt anything will beat the beauty of the Asian setting. It would be great if the next one lives up to the Uncharted theme. The 'Abducted' chapter was a wreck but more wider areas would be great. Africa next? Angola, Namibia. I was looking for a change of pace after all the intense teamwork in the dark citadel, and to be a wanderer of the desert but it turned out to be one of the worst parts of the game.

krae_man

I'm disappointed the supernatural creatures were just a brief hallucination. It feels like Uncharted 3 was missing the final 4-5 chapters the first two games had.

I like this one more then U2 because of the greater emphasis on Platforming and mele, but 2 is by far the better game.

Anyone else encounter tons of glitches? I encountered several.

The game crashed on me at the start of chapter 10 when I tried to walk the other way in search of treasures, In the shipyard Nate warped like 5 ledges ahead a couple of times on me and on a couple of occasions durring the shoot people above you while climbing up a wall sections my gun was and redicle were not in sync.

The worst one I encountered though was durring the ending escape. At the part where you are jumping from platform to platform while the sand is moving them. They weren't moving at all and the sand wasn't there. I was jumping from platform to platform and nothing was happening until I fell through one and died. Then when the game restarted all the scripting happened like it was supposed to.

Cruzader

Banned
krae_man said:
I'm disappointed the supernatural creatures were just a brief hallucination. It feels like Uncharted 3 was missing the final 4-5 chapters the first two games had.

I like this one more then U2 because of the greater emphasis on Platforming and mele, but 2 is by far the better game.

Yup, today I was playing CH.12. After the fight, you have to jump on this thing hanging on the ceiling to get to the other side. Anyways this thing drops down and you can reach a rope. If you get to the rope and miss the fall, you have to re-do the sequence. But the 2nd time, that thing hanging from the ceiling is missing some parts that fell so your character transports to the rope hanging not too far from it. I though that was horrible and funny. I think there is no way to fix things like these since they are like some action sets and if not done right, they wont act the same if you try them again, without dying.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
krae_man said:

I wouldn't say "tons", but yes, this game is definitely a bit less polished (more rushed?) than U2. I think they could have used a couple of extra months on this one to bring it up to the same level of polish, especially considering that it's an even more ambitious game than U2 in several ways.

I had one in the gears room where Elena just casually floated up to the ceiling. She looked at me for a minute then casually floated back down.

Only glitch I ran into all game, but it was pretty funny.

krae_man said:

Just one, when I reached Yemen, the game froze. That's the only one.

I liked the hallucinations this time. The Djinn were visually cool and it was a nice twist on the supernatural enemy from the past two games. Plus, they weren't a bitch to fight like the Guardians. I actually liked fighting them.

And while they were hallucinations, I like to think the Supernatural was still there as I think there really was a Djinn in the brass vessel infecting the water.

I hope they do a UC4 either as a final send-off for PS3 or as a launch title on PS4. I want to see where they go from here. Drake's demons might be laid to rest, but he's still an explorer at heart. I mentioned in another thread about having that Ry'leh place of Lovecraft's be based on a real place and going to Antarctica to discover the remnants of a long-lost civilization and fighting off an obsessed doomsday cult. That would be really cool. Or something that involves volcanoes.

krae_man

I think they missed an opportunity with the mele combat against the heavily armored enemies.

Uncharted's "Armor falls off in a set order" way of letting you know how far along you are in hurting an enemy just doesn't work with mele. kneeing a guy in the nuts and his hat falling off looks stupid.

ND could have done something where the enemies take off their armor themselves after you successfully do a mele combo. Then with the removal of each layer, the enemy becomes faster and you have to be quicker with the counters.

I liked the hallucinations this time. The Djinn were visually cool and it was a nice twist on the supernatural enemy from the past two games. Plus, they weren't a bitch to fight like the Guardians. I actually liked fighting them.

Guardians were easy since the crossbow killed them with one hit. The Djinn kind of ruined the end of the game for me since I was making sure to carry one weapon that worked on them better for the rest of the game and they never came back.

Teknoman

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Just one, when I reached Yemen, the game froze. That's the only one.

And while they were hallucinations, I like to think the Supernatural was still there as I think there really was a Djinn in the brass vessel infecting the water.

Same here. Honestly I thought Marlow would've been possessed by a djinn, and then afterwards the fight with Talbot could've still played out the same.

One reason to speculate that it really was a Djinn and not just hallucinegenics is that the fire demons seemed very specific and deliberate. If it was just a fear inducing agent, something a bit more personal to Drake would have been trying to kill him. Clowns come to mind lol.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Drake's demons might be laid to rest, but he's still an explorer at heart. I mentioned in another thread about having that Ry'leh place of Lovecraft's be based on a real place and going to Antarctica to discover the remnants of a long-lost civilization and fighting off an obsessed doomsday cult. That would be really cool. Or something that involves volcanoes.
Awesome! Also secret treasures that have to be found with exploration in hidden caves, enclaves and chambers, not platinum jewellery worth grands that are conveniently on window ledges. Sandbox gaming is asking for too much, but a few more steps would be nice.

Having one flashback sequence was underwhelming to me. I would have loved to have seen some cut scenes and gameplay segments that showed exactly how Sully groomed Nate. This would have also made the campaign longer. A huge opportunity missed there.

ThisWreckage said:
Having one flashback sequence was underwhelming to me. I would have loved to have seen some cut scenes and gameplay segments that showed exactly how Sully groomed Nate. This would have also made the campaign longer. A huge opportunity missed there.

Maybe UC4 has a past job of Nate's and Sully's come back to bite them in the ass.

An idea I had in the OT for opening up UCs gameplay is using Sully's new plane as a means to travel to various locations on a map. Sully's bar or wherever that room with the table full of maps, doodads and trinkets is located acts as your hub. From there you can choose locations on a map to explore. The catch is certain areas are off limits thanks to a roadblock puzzle and only accessable once you find clues scattered in other locations in the world. All of which get recorded in your journal and you can use the clues to solve puzzles which house treasures or clues to another location.

And this time, not only would treasures show up in your hub world, map room... they can also be sold to various people and the money earned can buy armor for the plane to fly over dangerous territory or can buy clues or weapons from shady people to help in certain circumstances.

Of course, all of this can stick to side missions while the main plot points can continue playing out the way we're used to.

I'm on Chapter 20 and while I'm really enjoying the game and its' set pieces the character development really is lacking in comparison to UC2. Chloe and Elena were amazing in UC2 and here they are just..there with a gun. =(

Loudninja

Square Triangle said:
I'm on Chapter 20 and while I'm really enjoying the game and its' set pieces the character development really is lacking in comparison to UC2. Chloe and Elena were amazing in UC2 and here they are just..there with a gun. =(
Its all about Nate and Sully,thats what people wanted.

Loudninja said:
Its all about Nate and Sully,thats what people wanted.

Well, some people. I was perfectly happy with the games largely being focused on Drake and Elena. But there are rumors that Emily's schedule with Haven caused some issues with her having time to record the cutscenes in Uncharted. I'm not sure if that's true though.

I guess I'm glad this isn't uncharted 1-2 or 2-2. I Love that it feels different and its sub characters are used in a different light. Elena being last year's model again or being in distress again,would have been redundant. But the emotion that is felt with what little time we see of her is huge imo.

Top Bottom