• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stop reminding me >:|.

So riki kicking am out of the meta-game, anyone see that coming?

Yes, mostly when they put the buffs on his backstab. He will still get pick if Europe adopt the three carry strat the chinese sometime use. He is also good in a chase metagame.

Sibylus

Banned
Antimage's niche has definitely narrowed, what with heroes like Outworld Destroyer and Shadow Demon coming into the mix. Riki's kind of a cherry on the cake, nerfs AM with smoke and now hits harder. None of those heroes were in the International pool, so it's perhaps unsurprising that AM's popularity soared.

Oh, and Bane would have immense utility against Antimage as well, that's another hero he didn't have to worry about for a long time.

Epix

Just went 20-3 with Zeus in an epic game.

We were 2 min from getting the win pushing on the bottom when they sealed the deal. Fun.

5489174C40D638FB6E2A675D8C4507F795E247DA

Calidor

I wonder what will be the active player base once it's released. Invites are readily available now so I'm guessing around 50-70k on weekends?

BeesEight

How should I be thinking about items when I play this game? Are the recommended paths any good? How do I know what to build?

If you're new or unfamiliar with heroes, I find the recommended is pretty sufficient. After awhile, you'll start to realize what items are good for which heroes and what your team needs depending on who the enemies are and what they are building.

So... yeah. I go with the recommended at the moment.

How should I be thinking about items when I play this game? Are the recommended paths any good? How do I know what to build?

Some are some aren't.

Be flexible with items.

In general;

Start with some regen items, some branches (3 is ideal, to build into a magic wand) or the 150g +3 stat items. Ring of protection is another option for early basilus ring.

Supports would like mekanism(mek), bracers, force staff, pipe (pipe of insight), wards, tranquil boots/arcane boots.

Offensive supports would like force staff, eul's, scythe of vyse, phase/powertreads/arcane boots.

Mid/gankers almost always want a bottle. You can store runes into empty bottles, once the rune is used you get a full bottle again.

Pusher/Gankers want drums of endurance, urn.

Make sure your team only has one urn or vlads or mek or pipe. Auras do not stack.

Carries want either power tread or phase boots, manta is popular for most agility heroes, desolator is good as well, helm of dominator if you want lifesteal orb. Strength heroes usually aim for the items like Assault Cuirass or Desolator.

Black King Bar is great on a lot of characters if you're facing a magic heavy team. Some spells do go through BKB though, usually single target ults.

Late game on carries you're looking at heart of tarasque, butterfly, monkey king bar, daedelus and satanic.

Skadi is rarely used, same with mask of madness. Mjolnir can be viable but not always. Necronomicon is used on heroes who either channel a lot or have skills that boost controlled units (Lycan/Beast Master).

My best advice is to read hero guides for specific items that are good for them. Some games I rush BKB other games I'll just build some heavier damaging items. Sometimes items make or break heroes. Faceless Void for example, does much better with Mask of Madness due to chronosphere then any other hero in the game.

Sanjay

Some one asked why I got power treads first, I wanted to kill heroes.

Morphling is well fun to play as, definitely my go to agility hero now.

dragon knight on my team with 334 wins, ~170 losses (based on number of pages in game history, 7 games per page)

runs into jungle at five minutes because he's too afraid to farm in the lane, proceeds to stay there until the end of the game when he suicides four times?

guess it didn't help that top lane fed, too, but me and him should've dominated our lane, and mid was doing pretty great, too

if he only had any presence at all early in the game we might've won, instead it was a stomp

i now understand the rage people feel when they want to report someone for being bad ):

Sibylus

Banned

Nice to have these sorts of games to break a loss streak with. Had a horrific start, went down five times and was beginning to fall behind in levels and farm. The enemy team's ganks started to slow down, so I refocused and wrung as much gold out of that lane and the jungles as I could, gradually regaining levels and gold in turn. I completed a Helm of the Dominator and a BKB, and from then on my impact on the teamfights was able to be felt. Where I was once awash in slows and only marginally helpful, now I could chase and stun vital targets without delay (time is of course of the essence against heroes like Morphling and Viper). I began to overtake everyone, our OD and their Morphling included, and squeezed every acre for all the gold they held. Finished an Assault Cuirass to put OD and myself's damage through the roof, and so it went in the next teamfights. When we had Ravage and Epicenter up, we fought, won, and pushed. When they were down, we farmed everywhere and completed whatever items we could. Would have had an Abyssal Blade had they managed to hold out longer, but we took two lanes' rax in one fell swoop following the most devastating teamfight yet.

Forkball

I thought you guys were exaggerating about Lycan.

I WAS WRONG.

I tried Vengeful Spirit and Silencer tonight and really enjoyed both of them. Out of twenty one matches, I haven't used the same hero twice. Some I've loved, some I've hated, but it's a lot of fun learning new heroes and seeing what they can do. I'm going to check out Tidehunter next.

Neki

we really need to tally the win % of the side with more midas, I think it would be higher than 75%

pw: neogaf for big salthouses

Artanisix

Dear people:

Dota is a team game. An important part of being a team player is actually communicating with your team. Even a simple acknowledgement of commands and ideas goes a long way. When a bot is more talkative than you, you're not being a team player.

Thanks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How do you guys build Spectre?
Game is going really well:
Early game stuff -> Ring of Health -> Boots -> Sacred Relic -> Radiance -> Power Treads -> Vanguard

Game is going well:
Early game stuff -> Ring of Health -> Boots -> Vanguard -> Power Treads -> Radiance

Game is going badly:
Early game stuff -> Power Treads -> Yasha -> Manta Style

Game is going horrible:
Early game stuff -> Power Treads -> Diffusal Blade

This is the easiest game of your life:
Early game stuff -> MIDAS -> boots -> RADIANCE -> Heart

I hate randomers. It's not nice to see 3rd carry in a team, because guy thinks that he's baller enough to have extra 250 gold. Or random Invoker, who can't do shit beside regular Tornado + EMP combo. FML.

Tenck

You guys actually "pick" heros? YOU DON'T RANDOM?! I feel like I'm in crazy town. Random master race.

Just played with a guy who ONLY plays Pudge. Guess who I randomed?

Had to report him because not even 30 seconds into the match and he's calling me N***er and whatnot. Pretty bad.

Now I randomed Tide Hunter, hope no one exlusively plays him :x

cdyhybrid

I hate randomers. It's not nice to see 3rd carry in a team, because guy thinks that he's baller enough to have extra 250 gold. Or random Invoker, who can't do shit beside regular Tornado + EMP combo. FML.

Well I repick if my randomed hero doesn't mesh well. Of course, I usually get my random before others pick, so I usually have to abandon my random intentions to try and pick something that helps the team.

We usually lose if I have to repick after everyone else picks

Tenck

I don't think you should repick if you were the first one to random. If everyone else wants to be stupid, just let them cry all they want about terrible hero combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom