• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly I'm convinced that the show will end after season five so there's probably only ~30 episodes left in the show but that wont be a problem if it has a satisfying ending and all the loose ends are tied up.

I'm excited new gems are going to be introduced soon. I wonder if an Emerald will be one of them because the show has a serious lack of green gems.

Also, more diamond screen time hopefully equates to White Diamond being shown or introduced in some capacity. Although, would it be too soon to officially show WD since BD was finally revealed in the latest Steven?

Yellow Diamond was first mentioned in the Season 1 finale, and was fully revealed near the Season 2 finale.

Blue Diamond was first mentioned and shown in the shadows near the end of Season 2, and first fully appeared in the middle of Season 4.

Pink Diamond was name-dropped at the end of Season 3, became one of the primary driving forces of the plot even now, and will probably be seen in flashback either at the end of this season or sometime in the next.

By that pattern, we can possibly expect a mention of White Diamond at the end of this season (Season 4). As far as showing her goes, I think we'll how Pink Diamond looked before dealing with (presumably) the top Diamond in the Diamond Authority.

I'm excited new gems are going to be introduced soon. I wonder if an Emerald will be one of them because the show has a serious lack of green gems.

Also, more diamond screen time hopefully equates to White Diamond being shown or introduced in some capacity. Although, would it be too soon to officially show WD since BD was finally revealed in the latest Steven?

Wait, how do we know new gems are coming?

TheOGB

Banned
Wait, how do we know new gems are coming?
From a PR blurb on the previous page:
Cartoon Network PR Announcements

Specifically:

Steven Universe – Friendships are tested as the saga continues in this Emmy-nominated series, created by Rebecca Sugar. The show returns with new adventurous story arcs and specials, in which fans will meet more Gems, spend time with the Diamonds and gain insight into the ever-mysterious Gem Homeworld while the series' titular hero Steven Universe will grow as a leader. Steven Universe is lauded for having a voice of inclusion, and was recently nominated for its first GLAAD Media Award in the Outstanding Comedy Series category.

I mean, it ain't much to go on and most of us can already come to that conclusion anyway.

Despite being a "returning series", they didn't announce any new seasons in production... most likely because we still have over a year's worth of un-aired episodes to sift through. But also probably because they don't plan to. We'll know for sure next year, though!

EDIT: oh right, forgot to mention that SU's Matt Burnett and Ben Levin are developing a new show for CN that was announced for pick-up called Craig of the Creek. So I guess that means they no longer work on SU as Head Writers???

I just don't understand what we're heading towards. There hasn't been a main threat in a long long time. Are we going to liberate home world in 30 episodes?

Psxphile

Making the rounds:
tumblr_oo0s2osgFb1vo43kpo1_1280.png

Amazon now has preview pages for the Keep Beach City Weird book, where this piece of art is said to come from, but I didn't see it on the store page. Peculiar.

Sponge

Banned
Making the rounds:

Amazon now has preview pages for the Keep Beach City Weird book, where this piece of art is said to come from, but I didn't see it on the store page. Peculiar.

Hoo boy. That looks interesting. Is that the Temple?
is the Temple Pink Diamond?

Hoo boy. That looks interesting. Is that the Temple?
is the Temple Pink Diamond?

It's undoubtedly Ronaldo having a crazy theory about the temple fusion and imagining himself controlling it. Love the Gigantor reference though.

I originally thought the temple fusion was Rose+Garnet+Pearl+Amethyst. But then I remember how Amethyst was found after the war, and the temple looks like something built during the rebellion (or by Homeworld themselves and reused by the Crystal Gems).

Zubz

Banned
It's undoubtedly Ronaldo having a crazy theory about the temple fusion and imagining himself controlling it. Love the Gigantor reference though.

I originally thought the temple fusion was Rose+Garnet+Pearl+Amethyst. But then I remember how Amethyst was found after the war, and the temple looks like something built during the rebellion (or by Homeworld themselves and reused by the Crystal Gems).

Yeah... For that same reason, part of me wonders if Bismuth was part of the fusion, too.

JSevere

finally, I've been waiting forever for an official soundtrack release, the songs in this show are too good. just take my money CN

Mixing (?) and sound quality. Soundcloud uses 128kbps files.

Also convenience. Unless you are dedicated to using Soundcloud to MP3 websites or downloading shady compilations, you can't really get the music off of Soundcloud... legally at least. So if you want to listen to a song from the show on the go, you have to use the trainwreck that is the Soundcloud app, which will beg you every 12 seconds to pay for their overpriced subscription service.

Here's hoping that the soundtrack will have songs other than the vocal ones. A lot of the instrumental tracks are top notch.

The_Kid

Cartoon companies are going away from physical seasons. They don't see it as worth it. I wouldn't expect a season set here unless its a limited sort of Mondo type release.

First one there has a supposed airdate of 5/16, a Tuesday. If these are legit, this could be a week of episodes that starts with Lion 4 on May 15. I suppose we'll know before too long.

Psxphile

5/16/2017 - S04E21 Doug Out
Steven and Connie join Connie's father on a stake out.

5/17/2017 - S04E22 The Good Lars
Steven, Lars and Sadie get invited to a party with the Cool Kids.

5/18/2017 - S04E23 Are You My Dad?
People disappearing from Beach City, and Steven tries to solve the mystery.

5/19/2017 - S04E24 I Am My Mom
Steven struggles to fix his mistakes.

Zubz

Banned
Yo, are we getting a
Doug
episode? I can't wait for him to secretly be the best townie.

Those descriptions really have me wanting
Blue Diamond to not only return, but be one of the new Gem allies Steven gets. I'd love to see more interaction between her & Greg

I'm guessing The Good Lars ends with
one of the Cool Kids, Sadie, or Lars disappearing or being abducted, which kicks off the season finale arc.
Doug Out might even
set it up if Doug is staking out something related to a disappearance.

Still, it's a pretty big coincidence that
Blue Diamond would be abducting people specifically from Beach City. Hopefully they establish that it's been happening all over the world and that Beach City is just a part of it. Or come up with some story reason why she would abduct from there. Maybe they use coordinates from when the hand ship in The Return arrived in Beach City or maybe the Rubies send a signal.

5/16/2017 - S04E21 Doug Out
Steven and Connie join Connie's father on a stake out.

5/17/2017 - S04E22 The Good Lars
Steven, Lars and Sadie get invited to a party with the Cool Kids.

5/18/2017 - S04E23 Are You My Dad?
People disappearing from Beach City, and Steven tries to solve the mystery.

5/19/2017 - S04E24 I Am My Mom
Steven struggles to fix his mistakes.

giphy.gif

Those last two episode descriptions sound promising.

Also, caved and saw Lion 4. That
pink thing in the desert was definitely Pink Diamond's ship. I'd be surprised if it wasn't considering the coloring was similar to the other Diamond ships.

TheSun

Cool, new episodes.

Hopefully these episodes will fare better than the last batch. I ain't excited about Good Lars, but whatever.

Zubz

Banned
I'm guessing The Good Lars ends with
one of the Cool Kids, Sadie, or Lars disappearing or being abducted, which kicks off the season finale arc.
Doug Out might even
set it up if Doug is staking out something related to a disappearance.

Still, it's a pretty big coincidence that
Blue Diamond would be abducting people specifically from Beach City. Hopefully they establish that it's been happening all over the world and that Beach City is just a part of it. Or come up with some story reason why she would abduct from there. Maybe they use coordinates from when the hand ship in The Return arrived in Beach City or maybe the Rubies send a signal.

I only caught this off of the Reddit, but
Steven & Greg brought the Zoo earrings back to Beach City. Since they were supposed to track the Zoomans, it's safe to say they brought people to Beach City. My guess is that Blue Diamond is tracking the earrings & is abducting people 1 by 1 because she still thinks the Cluster is about to form. Someone Doug was supposed to be bodyguarding disappeared, so he unintentionally gets Steve & Connie into the abduction plot early on.

Lars Barriga, huh.

In other news: The Steven Universe: Art & Origins page on Amazon now has preview pages available. Lots of neat sketches and stuff within.
Oh man.
July can't come soon enough.
The content in the preview is really fascinating.

Already we can see that the pre-production lore was quite different from what we've got.
Rather than being alien rebels who cut ties with their homeworld, the crystal gems were apparently just random magical guardians sent from a completely different universe to protect the earth.
It also says that their powers allow them to disguise themselves as teenage girls, which makes a lot of sense considering that some of the pre-production designs look more like typical young human women than the finalized versions do.
There are a lot of very interesting implications in these concepts, especially if you take into account the blurb that mentions that pilot-pearl's bangs were supposed to allow her to more easily disguise herself as a human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom