• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU and Vita beta/dev browsers HTML5 scores

Wii U Internet Browser:

Video Format:

MP4, M3U8+TS(HTTPLiveStreaming)
(Some videos may not be playable.)

Video Codec:

H.264 - MPEG-4 AVC Video

My question is what if any streaming "tube" sites don't use those codecs or formats?

Wii U Internet Browser:

Video Format:

MP4, M3U8+TS(HTTPLiveStreaming)

Video Codec:

H.264 - MPEG-4 AVC Video

My question is what if any streaming "tube" sites don't use those codecs or formats?

It just won't work, you'll get a broken page. As the experts around here pointed out.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not bad at all since every serious site supporting HTML5 audio tags also offer Ogg Vorbis which Wii U supports.

Tizen 2 (Samsungs own mobile OS) is reported to reach 485...

Oh wow, the Wii U barely beats Internet Explorer. That's amazing by console browser standards.

I can only imagine the OS layer being viewable in 1080p. From what I understand, the browser will be part of the OS layer (just like on 3DS), so Full HD browsing should pretty much be a given.

Hm, yeah that would make sense, considering that the Wii U does support 1080p.
Is this the case with current-gen though?

Does the Xbox360/PS3 web browser/OS display in 720p or 1080p?

"Storage: Session storage and local storage." So does that mean it can access the system memory or SD card, ect if necessary?

No. The browser sets up a small space to store/access local content. It's sandboxed within the browser, in other words. Sort of like how mobile Safari on iOS will ask you occassionally if you would like to increase storage when visiting certain sites such as gmail or twitter (if you're familiar with that).

Ydahs

IE isn't a high bar to beat though.

It's a pretty significant achievement. We finally have a gaming platform which has a browser comparable to a desktop browser. It's actual performance has yet to be proven, but I'm actually quite shocked it managed to beat IE10 in the benchmark. It means it'll actually render the majority of webpages properly, unlike other console browsers. Nintendo's not kidding when they said they wanted the WiiU to be a vital part of the living room.

As a web developer, I'm now actually interested in messing around with it and seeing what I can make for it. Hmm...

Fantastic news! I love a good web browser in consoles/handheld systems - I was actually disappointed by the 3DS - so I'm looking forward to the Wii U's performance.

No. The browser sets up a small space to store/access local content. It's sandboxed within the browser, in other words. Sort of like how mobile Safari on iOS will ask you occassionally if you would like to increase storage when visiting certain sites such as gmail or twitter (if you're familiar with that).

Ah OK, thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom