• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bonus Round: E3 2012 Preview [Up: Part 5: Thrid Parties Again]

TheOddOne

MS E3 2010 ending: Xbox Slim reveal.
MS E3 2011 ending: Halo Reclaimer Trilogy reveal.

Seems the best stuff is at the end.

See, you Americans will be disappointed by media talk etc. But at least you can use their services....

HEY MS, THERE'S EUROPE TOO

I also find it the view of the Bonus Round panel on the Xbox 360 selling 'couse everyone has one and people are talking about it' pretty funny, couse it's completely the opposite here in Europe. The PS3 is the console to have.

Did I really just hear Satterfield say that Halo ODST and Reach's campaigns were 'only a few hours long'?

Yes, yes you did.

See, you Americans will be disappointed by media talk etc. But at least you can use their services....

I also find it the view of the Bonus Round panel on the Xbox 360 selling 'couse everyone has one and people are talking about it' pretty funny, couse it's completely the opposite here in Europe. The PS3 is the console to have.
yeah bonus round has an NA focused look in things so that's probably why.

Petrichor

Yes, yes you did.

Not in this part of Europe... (The UK)

Terrell

This is an arrogant view for them to take, if true.

Nintendo's Wii was a monstrous success for the first part of the gen, and much of Xbox's recent success has come from Kinect (which was modeled after Nintendo).

The Wii U will probably take considerable market share from them this holiday season.

Yep, arrogant it is. But that's what we're seeing nevertheless. They look at Nintendo with the Wii and seem to be of the opinion that they have nothing to fear from Nintendo.

But this happens to every console maker at some stage in their business... happened to Nintendo with the N64 and assuming people would wait for them to hit the market with a non-CD system. Happened to Sony thinking they could ride their legacy user base into this generation on a $599 launch price... and now it will happen with Microsoft not feeling that their competition is a threat and milking the 360 for cash now that it's finally making them some for a change.

guek

Banned
I also find it funny that pachter can't get off of apple's lap about touch screen navigation but doesn't recognize that Wii U is posed to provide exactly that.

I'm one of the most jaded people out there when it comes to nintendo's ability to craft a UI, but until we know more, there's certainly a lot of multimedia potential in the upad.

<Footage of 360 title>
<FPS Dips>

Every. Time.

LA Times guy seems pretty on point.

More or less everything Sessler said was true and spot on.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
I had not thought about COD vs. Halo, that does seem like a bad proposition for MS. They should release Halo 4 in September so its not competing so directly. Although what this really means is that Medal of Honor is in trouble.

Kinect, like they unanimously decided, does seem pretty worthless. It's not really a software problem, I think the hardware is inherently limited. Is a controller or remote really that bad? There is absolutely never a moment when I feel the controller is not fit for navigating the interface. PSMove has been better because Sony has integrated it into their core lineup with LBP2, Killzone 3, Resistance, etc.

Also, Sony's exclusives are most certainly helping sales. The Halo/COD/LIVE momentum is just really strong. Without the stellar PS3 exclusives I don't know where they'd be.

Portugeezer

I also find it funny that pachter can't get off of apple's lap about touch screen navigation but doesn't recognize that Wii U is posed to provide exactly that.

I'm one of the most jaded people out there when it comes to nintendo's ability to craft a UI, but until we know more, there's certainly a lot of multimedia potential in the upad.

Lol, he would find something to moan about the Wii U tablet though.

Spring 2014 for xbox next box? Seems every month it goes later and later, at this rate they will say Fall 2015 for the launch of the next systems.

The oddest statement was the Wii as the Wii Sports machine, that almost implies people bought no other software for it.

Based on statements, Microsoft E3 will again fail to convince me to invest in the software. Why would I want all these additional services that require payment outside of xbox live to get the full experience. Though they should try to get some suprising new deal, movies just released in cinemas to stream on Xbox the weekend of or thereafter. Games some new rpgs, exclusives.

Terrell

I had not thought about COD vs. Halo, that does seem like a bad proposition for MS. They should release Halo 4 in September so its not competing so directly. Although what this really means is that Medal of Honor is in trouble.

Kinect, like they unanimously decided, does seem pretty worthless. It's not really a software problem, I think the hardware is inherently limited. Is a controller or remote really that bad? There is absolutely never a moment when I feel the controller is not fit for navigating the interface. PSMove has been better because Sony has integrated it into their core lineup with LBP2, Killzone 3, Resistance, etc.

Also, Sony's exclusives are most certainly helping sales. The Halo/COD/LIVE momentum is just really strong. Without the stellar PS3 exclusives I don't know where they'd be.

I think that Kinect can have great gaming applications, but not as the SOLE control method. Use it in addition to the controller and it opens up some interesting opportunities. But it looks like Microsoft isn't interested in letting that happen and wants Kinect control to be an all-or-nothing proposal. Which is a shame.

Why does the sess look like obidiah stane from Iron Man?

iron-man-site-obadiah-stane.jpg

Microsoft seems to be doing what they have been doing the last few years. no shocker but at least we should get some more GIF's.

Maybe they do a price cut at the end.

Also I really hope epic publicly shows Unreal Engine 4 at e3.

I think we have had enough rumors about the power of next gen consoles that Epic should put a public line in the sand and say "this is what he got now make your consoles powerful enough to run it".

Derrick01

Banned
(On visiting MS in a few weeks) Pachter: "They told me don't expect alot of game stuff, expect alot of dashboard, interface, multimedia."

I know that's not exactly unexpected but it still sucks to hear it. Pretty shameful from MS.

Though I'm sure we'll see games there. Just most of the non kinect crap will be other people's games.

jagowar

I think this just shows how stagnant the AAA market has become over the course of this generation.

I think sony's problem this gen is they make games that resonate with the gaming press but do not with the general population to the extent ms does. I really get the feeling sony does the shotgun approach and just see what sticks.

I think the panel is right that media will play a bigger role for ms this year.... the stat ms put out recently shows people care more about that than games these days anyways. That music service could be huge for xbox going forward and windows 8 could give pach exactly what he is looking for with that tablet integration.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Fits their narrative better to ignore Wii Fit (40+ million), Wii Sports Resort (30+ million), Mario Kart Wii (30+ million), NSMBW (25+ million), Just Dance, and the myriad of others that all sold really well.

Like the statement that despite exclusives Sony didn't sell well despite the fact that Nintendo did sell well with their exclusives.

Out only hope is that Microsoft's conference provides good gif fodder.

guek

Banned
little convincing to be done, it is most likely going to suck a lot, Halo 4 notwithstanding

Sad but true. It's just disheartening to hear it so plainly laid out.

btw, every time I see your name, I hear Randal say "We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Conor 419

Banned
Well, if Halo 4's good, Forza: Horizon looks fresh and we actually get to see MGS:V's project then that's a more solid first party lineup than we've seen from them in the last few years.

Penguin

Microsoft seems to be doing what they have been doing the last few years. no shocker but at least we should get some more GIF's.

Maybe they do a price cut at the end.

I feel like this sub based Xbox is their big price drop/Trojan horse, and would have been interesting to hear their thoughts about it

Nice to see Ben on here, he always seemed like a cool guy. Good representative for the industry at a publication that's focused on "bigger" things normally.

Anyway, bit of a bummer episode to start with. A lot of what MS's conference will be is a foregone conclusion, sadly.

Kud Dukan

Watching this just reaffirms what I've been thinking for a while: I'm really ready for the next generation. To me, it just feels like it's time, and the thought of new console not coming out until sometime in 2014 is not something I want to hear.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
jagowar said:
I think sony's problem this gen is they make games that resonate with the gaming press but do not with the general population to the extent ms does. I really get the feeling sony does the shotgun approach and just see what sticks.

I'd agree with that if either Nintendo or MS was doing any better and actually establishing new top-tier franchises. But they aren't.

MS in particular have basically stuck with the same 3 keystone franchises they established in the XBox era: Halo, Forza, and Fable, and it seems likely that this is going to continue into the next gen. Which is pretty nuts if you ask me.

jagowar

I'd agree with that if either Nintendo or MS was doing any better and actually establishing new top-tier franchises. But they aren't.

MS in particular have basically stuck with the same 3 keystone franchises they established in the XBox era: Halo, Forza, and Fable, and it seems likely that this is going to continue into the next gen. Which is pretty nuts if you ask me.

I think they did better.... although I am including gears series and mass effect 1 in the xbox exclusive library. MS really hit home runs with both and part of what ms has done so well this gen is find the 3rd party exclusives that would sell xbox's.

I personally would not really call fable a keystone franchise anymore.... Its halo, forza and the 3rd party exclusives (and really pach made this point) you can almost call cod a defacto xbox exclusive now.

Snipes424

Well, at least my expectations are low, which is actually probably a good thing.

But yeah, this whole generation has revolved around one franchise (guess which one) and I think it's extremely unhealthy for the industry. I just hope the next generation the console with the most variety and quality is rewarded from the consumers.

theBishop

Banned
I expected to be more annoyed, and instead was merely underwhelmed. The biggest revelation is probably Pachter saying the E3 press preview people told him not to expect much gaming news. WTF. Even if they are deprioritizing gaming (At an enthusiast gaming event...), how many media deals could they possibly have? Is this going to be the "Xbox is your DVR" show?

theBishop

Banned

WiiU will not play DVDs. You think it's going to control your cable box?

Top Bottom