• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm up for some Nightfall

AstroLad, Fealty keeps sayin you forfeit . . .??

waaaaat? have you tried inviting me? and it just says i forfeit? hmmmm haven't gotten any notifications yet and i have played the game so very weird.

i sent you one to try it out. barebones looking but man i appreciate the alphabetical by username list over the other GC implementations (well, if it works)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How do you add friends in Nightfall?

Good question oO. I remember Ascension just had your GC list for multiplayer, why is Nightfall's empty?

EDIT: Seems like their server is having some start-trouble, let's hope it's all fixed soon :/

butzopower

proud of his butz
Picked up Nightfall, gonna learn the digs and then play some of you guys.

If you want to add me, GC: lambdabutz

(I also have the triad of Carc/Ass/TtR)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I somehow beat sladeums in a game. I had fairly little idea what was going on at any one time. The server issues right now wucks but I am sure it will be fixed soon.

sladeums

waaaaat? have you tried inviting me? and it just says i forfeit? hmmmm haven't gotten any notifications yet and i have played the game so very weird.

i sent you one to try it out. barebones looking but man i appreciate the alphabetical by username list over the other GC implementations (well, if it works)

Yeah I've actually started 2 separate games ...
One I selected my first piece then the match ended ....
The second one got to the 2nd turn and then ended ...

I haven't got any invites from you.

sladeums

I somehow beat sladeums in a game. I had fairly little idea what was going on at any one time. The server issues right now wucks but I am sure it will be fixed soon.

Duuuuude on my first turn I accidentally hit 'DONE' instead of playing a chain ... never could recover after that

Good game tho ...

Smiley90

AstroLad, so I guess our T&E and Eradicate games got stuck pretty fast :( Who else did you invite that's not doing their turns LOL. so hard to see who's actually playing

Smiley90

Whenever I try start a singleplayer-game I automatically become "player 2" instead of myself and I can't connect to the online server.... seems as if there's some massive hickups yeah. Can't play til then, at least not with my GC account... :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ok I get Nightfall now. Easy peasy. Think I just went in with too many preconceptions from other DBGs and even Magic, which this sometimes feels but does not play like. My sense is though that maybe it works best with 2? Given the fact that there are direct attacks every turn.

Smiley90

Ok I get Nightfall now. Easy peasy. Think I just went in with too many preconceptions from other DBGs and even Magic, which this sometimes feels but does not play like. My sense is though that maybe it works best with 2? Given the fact that there are direct attacks every turn.

Nightfall feels more like Dominion than Ascension, with the permanent libraries that are there every turn. I'm finding the card variety a bit lackluster thus far, but I've only played one game, are there more cards that could be in the library? I can't play properly with the server trouble :(

Woooo! Awesome, who ever used to have the RaySpencer GC dropped it, so I swapped Ray.Spencer out for just RaySpencer.

....though, I kinda liked having that dot sometimes, I may switch back :p we will see.

Heel

Woooo! Awesome, who ever used to have the RaySpencer GC dropped it, so I swapped Ray.Spencer out for just RaySpencer.

....though, I kinda liked having that dot sometimes, I may switch back :p we will see.

I'm in a constant battle with people online named Slade, haha. I didn't even get it on GAF!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Too late, I just took Ray.Spencer. You can have it back, but it will cost you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nightfall feels more like Dominion than Ascension, with the permanent libraries that are there every turn. I'm finding the card variety a bit lackluster thus far, but I've only played one game, are there more cards that could be in the library? I can't play properly with the server trouble :(

Yeah it's actually a lot like Quarriors if you've ever played that but I like it more than Quarriors so far.

Smiley90

Haha, you were able to stop my card hoarding and did it yourself

Was a pretty odd game though, we both just ended up with a mainly random assortment of cards.... :D I just had a lot of the "defeat any monster with 4 / defeat any monster with 6/generally against monsters" cards.

Too late, I just took Ray.Spencer. You can have it back, but it will cost you.

Nooooooooooooooooo.........

...that's ok, pretty sure I'm sticking with this now anyway :p . It's good too, since it now matches with the games that didn't have game centre anyway!

Smiley90

I wish I could accept your Nightfall game mercviper, but I can't connect to the server :(

AstroLad, so I guess our T&E and Eradicate games got stuck pretty fast :( Who else did you invite that's not doing their turns LOL. so hard to see who's actually playing

Dunno about other games, but the 2 (accidentally 2!) eradicate games I set up with you, astro and tm24 both say it's your turn ;) , goin on 21 hours now too!

Smiley90

Dunno about other games, but the 2 (accidentally 2!) eradicate games I set up with you, astro and tm24 both say it's your turn ;) , goin on 21 hours now too!

the fuck? -checks- I didn't get any notifications... sorry :/

the fuck? -checks- I didn't get any notifications... sorry :/

Anything with just plain game centre notifications suck, because if you have anything else that uses plain ones like ticket to ride or something, when you check one the other disappears. It's broken and dumb. I generally just go around and check all my mp games a couple times a day, shit so broken!

Smiley90

Did you get notifications for Eradicate? I didn't oO Also, for T&E it tells me that it's Bob Esponja's turn.. whoever that is? :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anything with just plain game centre notifications suck, because if you have anything else that uses plain ones like ticket to ride or something, when you check one the other disappears. It's broken and dumb. I generally just go around and check all my mp games a couple times a day, shit so broken!

If you go into the notification pull-down they do seem to all be there though.

Smiley90

If you go into the notification pull-down they do seem to all be there though.

How do I find that?

Also, Operation Eradicate multiplayer is hilarious, whenever I open the game my face goes

whatha.gif

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
just pull down from the middle top of your idevice should see a little gray tab then pull down again

Yeah, it's really poorly implemented in a game that is already confusing when you can't chat and plan things. 4 player is just broken, 2 player works better, because then you at least can see everyone playing, haha. Oh well, it's still interesting enough that I want to keep playing!

Smiley90

Yeah, it's really poorly implemented in a game that is already confusing when you can't chat and plan things. 4 player is just broken, 2 player works better, because then you at least can see everyone playing, haha. Oh well, it's still interesting enough that I want to keep playing!

It'd be okay if they at least replayed the other player's moves when it's your turn again, then it'd kinda work... But yeah, chat would also be good. And the game itself is pretty good, apart from the UI.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In 2p you can sort of basically tell just by checking out the gamestate. It's pretty inexcusable UI but if you've played Pandemic a lot it's actually pretty straightforward.

Mostly makes me long for a real Pandemic though.

Put the Carcassonne guys on that. :D

Been playing some more SP Nightfall and I think I'm in on this game. Quite fun to string together big combos and there are actually a lot of really interesting decisions to make in terms of when to play your cards to the chain, order of cards in the chain, discards vs. retaining strong cards etc. I still think if you play with more than 2 though it must get kind of funky, just attack the leader basically. (Not that I would mind some 4P GAF games once the damn servers start working.)

Smiley90

In 2p you can sort of basically tell just by checking out the gamestate. It's pretty inexcusable UI but if you've played Pandemic a lot it's actually pretty straightforward.

Mostly makes me long for a real Pandemic though.

Put the Carcassonne guys on that. :D

Been playing some more SP Nightfall and I think I'm in on this game. Quite fun to string together big combos and there are actually a lot of really interesting decisions to make in terms of when to play your cards to the chain, order of cards in the chain, discards vs. retaining strong cards etc. I still think if you play with more than 2 though it must get kind of funky, just attack the leader basically. (Not that I would mind some 4P GAF games once the damn servers start working.)

Where can I see which regions have had stabilization efforts started? also, START THEM ALREADY. I can't seem to get my hands on the other guy with the more cities, so you better start them. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stabilization effort is a bit misleading I think. It's just dump five cards (single player, at the same time) of the same color in an airport for a color you haven't already dumped before.

Fuck that was a close game Astro, haha. I miss judged my trains and had to improvise the end. :p
Hahah yeah I was hoping we were playing 1910 actually forgot so wasn't paying attention to longest road. Most completed tickets/globetrotter reward uber alles!

Smiley90

Stabilization effort is a bit misleading I think. It's just dump five cards (single player, at the same time) of the same color in an airport for a color you haven't already dumped before.

Hahah yeah I was hoping we were playing 1910 actually forgot so wasn't paying attention to longest road. Most completed tickets/globetrotter reward uber alles!

mhmm.. From what I've gathered, Stabilization effort is needed to win, so... no? :D

Stabilization effort does:

-instead of only 1 unit removed, all units get removed from a city when fighting
-aussault commander now removes all units with no moves required
-zombies won't return to region (or was it cities?) once it's been wiped from zombies

plus, the more regions you stabilize, the more points you get, and you can't technically win the game without stabilizing at least 1 region, so... STABILIZE THAT SHIT. :D

I had forgotten to check if you had 1910 before inviting you, also I have no idea what the differences are anyway :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
right. and all that is triggered when you dump five cards of the same color in an airport. trust me if i have five cards of the same color i'm hightailing for the airport. and i i don't then i'm trying to get myself or the other person whatever they need to get to that. but there is no "start the stabilization efforts" until you have the five cards. all you need to win is stabilize but if you eradicate no new baddies of that color pop up. once you've stabilized also the assault commander only needs to walk into a city of that color to eliminate all its cubes -- doesn't even need to spend an action.

Smiley90

right. and all that is triggered when you dump five cards of the same color in an airport. trust me if i have five cards of the same color i'm hightailing for the airport. and i i don't then i'm trying to get myself or the other person whatever they need to get to that. but there is no "start the stabilization efforts" until you have the five cards. all you need to win is stabilize but if you eradicate no new baddies of that color pop up. once you've stabilized also the assault commander only needs to walk into a city of that color to eliminate all its cubes -- doesn't even need to spend an action.

Pretty sure in at least one of the 2 games one of the guys has all 5 colours. And can't you start it from anywhere, as long as ANY of the cities in the region has an airport? I don't think you have to be in the city of the airport...

Also, Blokus is only 99 cents, BUT made by gameloft... any input, how bad is it? Good enough game to ignore that it's made by Gameloft, or terribly done?

Smiley90

Has to be the city itself, not just the region.

Ah dang, well... then... we gotta get there!

EDIT: Also, the Nightfall Promocard "Zombie Horde" is friggin' amazing. (if, when you create a new game, you click on the little "N" under details next to your name, you see some locked expansions and ONE unlocked promocard - zombie horde, that you can turn on/off. It's pretty cool, its strength relies on the amount of minions you have in play - just had one with 7 muaha.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Wow, Nightfall is super confusing. I think I need to re-read the rules a few times! Not entirely sure which cards are minions and which aren't, going to take a little time to get to grips with things. Still, I'll jump in on a few games if anyone's up for it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow, Nightfall is super confusing. I think I need to re-read the rules a few times! Not entirely sure which cards are minions and which aren't, going to take a little time to get to grips with things. Still, I'll jump in on a few games if anyone's up for it.

Non-minions have a silver outline to the card. They also don't have hit points or anything since they get discarded immediately after resolving rather than pulling offense/defense duty.

I need more practice in samurai, that's for sure. Heh. It's fun thoug, because it's super basic and easy to understand, but there is some crazy strategies that can change everything so quick. Good game Astro.

Something im noticing in Nightfall, Is I really appreciate that there is less randomness to everything. Its something that has always kind of bugged me about Ascension. When you play a game like Dominion, or the Penny Arcade DBG is that before you even start you can have a good idea on what your going to do, and how your going to do it. It seems a lot more planned and thought out, and generally makes me feel proud of what I did when I win.

My problem with Ascension is that you basically HAVE to change what your doing based on whats in play in the middle, you could go into the game thinking 'ok, construct build!' and then proceed to not have any constructs in the middle for the first few turns, which usually makes you adapt and play to whats on hand, which dont get me wrong, is a great way to make your game. I really enjoy coming up with new ideas and plans during the game, its just something that I dont feel is as fun games like Dominion.

Im wondering how an alternate play method in Ascension would work, where if you took (lets say) the right most stack of the 6 pools in the middle, and made it JUST monsters so that if you always had at least 1 monster to kill, and if you took the left most stack and made it strictly heroes so you never got stuck with 6 monsters in play, and a handfull of Mystics or something.

I dunno, just curious if anyone even thinks it would be balanced, or really change anything. Its not like I dislike Ascension, or think its broken, Its probably my favorite iOS game! Anyway, carry on!

Lovin' me some Nightfall right now.

Anilones

Congratulations of this thread. I've added everyone who has put both Ascension and Hero Academy (I didn't include those who only have one as I don't want thousands of games going on). I'll be buying Nightfall later and will try Food Fight due to the price drop. Feel free to add me for any of these games.

sladeums

I posted on BGG, see what's up.

yeah, i went ahead and posted over there too
i was seeing some really weird crap trying to get matches going.

rather disappointed, because the gameplay seems really, really good to me.
(though i'll probably be horrible at it)

here's the last match you couldn't handle me in
lol

5gCSll.png

Top Bottom