• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's where we stand now on all the 9-figure contracts in MLB history (until the A-Gonz extension is announced and Cliff Lee signs):

1. Alex Rodriguez - New York Yankees: 10 years, $275 million (2008-2017)
  2. Alex Rodriguez - Texas Rangers: 10 years, $252 million (2001-2010)
  3. Derek Jeter - New York Yankees: 10 years, $189 million (2001-2010)
  4. Joe Mauer - Minnesota Twins: 8 years, $184 million (2011-2018)
  5. Mark Teixeira - New York Yankees: 8 years, $180 million (2009-2016)
  6. C.C. Sabathia - New York Yankees: 7 years, $161 million (2009-2015)
  7. Manny Ramirez - Boston Red Sox: 8 years, $160 million (2001-2008)
  8. Miguel Cabrera - Detroit Tigers: 8 years, $152.3 million (2008-2015)
  9. Carl Crawford - Boston Red Sox: 7 years, $142 million (2011-2017)
  10. Todd Helton - Colorado Rockies: 11 years, $141.5 million (2001-2011)
  11. Johan Santana - New York Mets: 6 years, $137.5 million (2008-2013)
  12. Alfonso Soriano - Chicago Cubs: 8 years, $136 million (2007-2014)
  13. Vernon Wells - Toronto Blue Jays: 7 years, $126 million (2008-2014)
  14. Jayson Werth - Washington Nationals: 7 years, $126 million (2011-2017)
  15. Barry Zito - San Francisco Giants: 7 years, $126 million (2007-2013)
  16. Ryan Howard - Philadelphia Phillies: 5 years, $125 million (2013-2017)
  17. Mike Hampton - Colorado Rockies: 8 years, $121 million (2001-2008)
  18. Jason Giambi - New York Yankees: 7 years, $120 million (2002-2008)
  19. Carlos Beltran - New York Mets: 7 years, $119 million (2005-2011)
  20. Ken Griffey Jr. - Cincinnati Reds: 9 years, $116.5 million (2000-2008)
  21. Kevin Brown - Los Angeles Dodgers: 7 years, $105 million (1999-2005)
  22. Albert Pujols - St. Louis Cardinals: 7 years, $100 million (2004-2010)
  23. Carlos Lee - Houston Astros: 6 years, $100 million (2007-2012)

Bread

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports identifies the Red Sox as one of the "mystery teams" who made a seven-year bid for Lee. However, they didn't offer enough money for Lee to realistically consider accepting. Rather, the proposal was about increasing Lee's leverage with other teams and trying to force the Yankees to add an extra year.

Hah! What a bunch of assholes, if true.
troll_redsox.jpg

Lambtron's going to be pissed!

The Orioles have acquired J.J. Hardy and Brendan Harris from the Twins for minor league pitchers Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey.

Deal will be announced tomorrow morning.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
AnEternalEnigma said:
Lambtron's going to be pissed!

The Orioles have acquired J.J. Hardy and Brendan Harris from the Twins for minor league pitchers Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey.

Deal will be announced tomorrow morning.
JJ Hardy and a warm body for two mid-to-high upside relief prospects? Kind of weak there Twins.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
AnEternalEnigma said:
Here's where we stand now on all the 9-figure contracts in MLB history (until the A-Gonz extension is announced and Cliff Lee signs):

• Joe Mauer - Minnesota Twins: 8 years, $184 million (2011-2018)
Hey, here's something I won't brutalize the front office over. The Mauer deal is looking preeeeetty fucking good this year. And while money will be tight this year there's plenty of money coming off the books next year.

Oh good I see Hardy was traded. Jim Hoey & Brett Jacobson coming back for the Twins. THANK YOU BILL SMITH. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

RBH

The comments section :lol :lol

Dayton Moore immediately responds to Bill Smith's moronic trade of J.J. Hardy with a counter-punch to say "Not so fast! I'm still the worst GM in this division!"

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, it makes no fucking sense. Trade away a top 10 shortstop for relief prospects. I don't even mean for just 2010. The Twins farm system is full pitchers who project as relievers & outfielders. We have no one for the middle infield. This trade is a fucking joke. And this is after trading away the best trade piece in our farm system for a slightly better than marginal reliever (who we could've had for NOTHING after he was non-tendered). If that fucking $7.5 million is used to extend Pavano for 3 years I'll puke. There better be another move coming to improve this team, because I haven't seen any improvement yet in the moves we've made.

Jesus fuck.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Lambtron said:
Seriously, it makes no fucking sense. Trade away a top 10 shortstop for relief prospects. I don't even mean for just 2010. The Twins farm system is full pitchers who project as relievers & outfielders. We have no one for the middle infield. This trade is a fucking joke. And this is after trading away the best trade piece in our farm system for a slightly better than marginal reliever (who we could've had for NOTHING after he was non-tendered). If that fucking $7.5 million is used to extend Pavano for 3 years I'll puke. There better be another move coming to improve this team, because I haven't seen any improvement yet in the moves we've made.

Jesus fuck.
Well, look on the bright side: at least you won't have to worry about the Royals.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
CygnusXS said:
Well, look on the bright side: at least you won't have to worry about the Royals.
Hey with Hardy gone, that opens up a roster spot for another mediocre middle infielder. Someone fucking get Punto on the phone before the Indians get him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharp

To Far Away Times said:
The Crawford deal and the Worth deal are fucking insanity. Both are good players, sure, but not worth the ridiculous asking price.
Many of the deals on that list were made ten years ago. It's understandable that there would be some salary inflation (though not this much).

jman2050 said:
Dave Cameron writing the article? Check. Poorly hidden stealth Yankees-Red Sox comparison with the whole winter meetings business? Check. Nigh religious adherence to Fangraphs WAR as a measure of value and to the way it weighs defense? Check.

Dude never lets me down.

he almost made him out to look like freaking Rickey Henderson....

Doytch

Siiick, now I just hope the Yankees sign Lee to a 7-yr deal. In four years both of those teams are gonna be over the hill and the Jays are gonna kill.

Giving Lee 7 years is so pathetic. This team is going to suck ass 2 years from now when 1 of Lee or Sabathia get hurt. The good news is I'm sure the Steinbrenner's are going to pay their way out of this one -- we'll probably see this payroll closer to 300 million than 200 in the next 4 years.

Sharp

talisayNon said:
Giving Lee 7 years is so pathetic. This team is going to suck ass 2 years from now when 1 of Lee or Sabathia get hurt. The good news is I'm sure the Steinbrenner's are going to pay their way out of this one -- we'll probably see this payroll closer to 300 million than 200 in the next 4 years.
Right... because the team sucked so much in 2010 with just Sabathia. Come on man, the Yankees are never going to outright suck as long as the Steinbrenners are running the show.

Sharp said:
Right... because the team sucked so much in 2010 with just Sabathia. Come on man, the Yankees are never going to outright suck as long as the Steinbrenners are running the show.

By 'suck' i mean miss the playoffs.

Sharp

talisayNon said:
By 'suck' i mean miss the playoffs.
Yeah, when I say "my team sucks ass" that's what I mean too. Glad we're on the same page on that one.

Deal is worth $160-165m :lol

And to think at the beginning of this offseason it looked like the Werth deal would be the overpay du jour. 2017 is going to be fucking amazing.

Wow some of these tweets are dumb... "Can you imagine Cliff Lee and C.C. Sabathia ON THE SAME TEAM!!!?!" I mean.... really?

Sanjuro

Celsior said:
The Red Sox's GM is complaining that the Yanks are spending to much money on FA's.
Pretty much. Look at that list above? There are only two Red Sox that apply to that list and they are both for this season and AGon isn't on it. Cry more bitch section of Yankee-Age.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wow came in to post real quick about how different this offseason is going. When V-mart left and it looked like they were just going to let Beltre go, I figured it was last season all over again.

Last year about this time I was complaining about what a massive waste the Lackey signing was, and the lousy signing the sox made (Beltre, which somehow worked out, Scutaro, an over the hill shortstop, and Mike Cameron... what a disaster) This is one of the biggest offseasons in a while, basically recreating what the yankees did a few years ago. Very interested to see how this all plays out.

Celsior

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Pretty much. Look at that list above? There are only two Red Sox that apply to that list and they are both for this season and AGon isn't on it. Cry more bitch section of Yankee-Age.
Why am I crying, haven't the last two season the Red Sox's complained about the Yanks unreasonable spending on FA's:lol
God for you guys, San Diego gave you a free 1Bman and you signed the top OF free agent. You guys also signed the top pitching prospect last year.
I just see theo bitching about the Yanks spending next year when a bunch of money comes off the Yanks book.

Sanjuro

You are so fucking mad.

One week ago = lololol Theo can't open his purse. BAWWWWWW.

Present day = OMG unreasonable spending. Fuckers. FUCKERS!

You guys can be pretty special sometimes...not going to lie.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You are so fucking mad.

One week ago = lololol Theo can't open his purse. BAWWWWWW.

Present day = OMG unreasonable spending. Fuckers. FUCKERS!

You guys can be pretty special sometimes...not going to lie.

where's he saying that?

What the FUCK

I went to sleep last night, everything was fine.

I woke up this morning, and Carl Crawford gets an even more titanic contract than Jayson Werth - from the GODDAMN RED SOX?

Crawford LF
Pedroia 2B
Youkilis 3B
Gonzalez 1B
Ortiz DH
Drew RF
Scutaro SS
Salty/Varitek C
Ellsbury CF

This lineup is going to be like cheating. It is going to walk endlessly, steal fuckloads of bases, get on at a high clip, and if Ortiz is legitimately back and Drew isn't totally over, they are going to rain HRs at a ridiculous clip - especially at home. They will grind most pitchers out, even though it is very lefty-heavy.

The Yankees must finish World War 3. They HAVE to sign Cliff Lee. I honestly don't even give a fuck if it's 7 years now. It has to occur - and they probably need to try to get Andy to come back for 1 more year, too.

Sabathia
Lee
Hughes
Pettitte
Burnett

That top 4 will beat most teams, and will be hell on lefties especially. Burnett hopefully can be rebuilt by Larry Rothschild - I have faith in that. Hughes will only get better with a full season, and big playoff experience. I look for him to hold the line on last year as well.

Yankee offense isn't a problem if the people in it simply are healthy again. It would be nice if the Yankees can really make shit get real and hit the D-Backs up for Justin Upton. We have the top pitching prospects they need, and either one of Swisher or Gardner should be included in such a deal so they can have a quality MLB outfielder with a top skill (Swisher's got top power and OBP, and Gardner is a good hitter with great range and speed - and both are above-average defenders at their positions).

...fuck, I probably sound close to one of those crazy shellshocked BUY EVERYTHING WFAN fans. :(

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Lets see the sox are still under the payroll tax, have at this moment reduced their payroll from last year, and will save about 54 million next year (probably have 28 million left after arb and the new gonzo deal) and they filled a huge need (this year and next) - outfield, with a young, dynamic player who will most likely age better than most over the course of the 7 year deal. Exactly who would play outfield next year after JD leaves, if they had not signed Crawford?

Sanjuro

talisayNon said:
I...don't think he's saying that nor is he mad.
Well they did, not sure what else to tell you pal.

Is this some kind of New Yorker "you mess with all of us" Spiderman moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom