• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

eshwaaz

It's by no means a 'slideshow' like others are claiming here - been watching my partner play through it and it doesn't seem that bad at all outside of some jerkiness in big explosive chains.
How far in are you? I felt the same until I got to the largest island, when performance completely tanks. Just gliding over towns or bases kills the frame rate, with no shooting or explosions happening. It goes into full-on slow motion, and it's really bad.

TVexperto

I still cant believe no news site (df) or journalist picked up on the horrible ps4 performance considering the crap they gave AC Unity for months after release

I mean each patch of JC3 made the performance worse because they focused on the DLC!!!

vypek

I still cant believe no news site (df) or journalist picked up on the horrible ps4 performance considering the crap they gave AC Unity for months after release

I mean each patch of JC3 made the performance worse because they focused on the DLC!!!

I also have to wonder if this is a finished series at this point. Maybe there is less focus because people don't care about the Just Cause series as much.

How has PC patching been? I played it right around launch and enjoyed it without major issues with frame rates, but haven't touched it since a few weeks post-launch. I got it for like $30 new at that time and I was happy I did... Just felt kind of broken for a $60 experience.

Seems like the console version was much more busted however.

Gif version of the trailer of the PS4 Pro Patch. Details here

h5zcByn.jpg

Glad I got the physical version on ps4. Sold it and will never buy another avalanche game again.

To be fair to Avalanche, Mad Max was a solid game technically on all platforms it released on and they're was parity between the Xbox One and PS4 version. If I'm not mistaken I think the "B" team was the group who developed JC3. A team did Mad Max.

LAM09

The main team did Mad Max, JC3 was made by the newer Avalanche New York.

I thought I remembered listening to an interview prior to MM launch that said a smaller team worked on it and most where on JC3.

Makes sense why the latter is in the state it is a year after launch, if that's the case.

LostDonkey

How has PC patching been? I played it right around launch and enjoyed it without major issues with frame rates, but haven't touched it since a few weeks post-launch. I got it for like $30 new at that time and I was happy I did... Just felt kind of broken for a $60 experience.

Seems like the console version was much more busted however.

I bought it a few weeks ago for like £6 in the sale and it's been absolutely fantastic. 1440p 60fps locked on 6700k 1070 16gbddr4.

It's a really great game lots of fun and challenges.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
It's by no means a 'slideshow' like others are claiming here - been watching my partner play through it and it doesn't seem that bad at all outside of some jerkiness in big explosive chains.

You have got the be on the Avalanche PR team because there is no empirical manner in which this game's performance can be redeemed.

The skipping/freezing and graphical glitches are examples of jerkiness I can tolerate, but when you pair them with literal slow motion frame rates and overly long load times in between challenges and missions, then you've got a poorly optimized game.

The fact that the few patches they released managed to make the frame rate worse is telling.

Unless they finally patch this (highly unlikely), I'm not buying another game from this studio.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The team (supposedly their main one) that worked on this game are to blame. Mad Max played fine.

No it didn't. The framerate would also tank later on when you encountered the convoys. I had a few really messy situations on the PS4 where it didn't return back to normal until I've taken care of the convoys. One of the early versions of MM also had a major bug which made your map inaccessible and the game almost unplayable because of that. It took them about A MONTH to fix that.

W.S.

I think this will be one of those games that will perform better on Scorpio due to the better CPU. Not sure by how much but it should be more playable, doesn't excuse the performance on current consoles however.

LAM09

No it didn't. The framerate would also tank later on when you encountered the convoys. I had a few really messy situations on the PS4 where it didn't return back to normal until I've taken care of the convoys. One of the early versions of MM also had a major bug which made your map inaccessible and the game almost unplayable because of that. It took them about A MONTH to fix that.

I got it several days before launch and never encountered any major issues during my play through.

Codiox

To be fair to Avalanche, Mad Max was a solid game technically on all platforms it released on and they're was parity between the Xbox One and PS4 version. If I'm not mistaken I think the "B" team was the group who developed JC3. A team did Mad Max.

Oh yeah, that totally justifies the crappy framerate. It was the "B" team. No problem because the game didn't had full price, oh wait...

On the package it says avalanche studios, not "excuse us, it was our B team, please don't judge this game too hard". Avalanche are the ones to blame.

How's the PC port running?

Can I get 100FPS+ on a 4690K, 980 Ti, and 16GB RAM? I don't need to max out. Just put everything to high instead of ultra.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I love Avalanche Studios. Mad Max was awesome. I didn't play Just Cause 3 for long but quit because you had to complete challenges in order to get gears which was needed to upgrade if I remember correctly so I didn't play long enough to see and notice the frame rate problems.

They definitely should have fixed the frame rate issues but im thinking that's more on Square Enix than it is Avalanche Studios. Plus, the game is a year old and series is probably done. Not surprised that Square Enix isn't putting any more money or resources into the game especially since all the DLC has been released.

MUnited83

For you.
How's the PC port running?

Can I get 100FPS+ on a 4690K, 980 Ti, and 16GB RAM? I don't need to max out. Just put everything to high instead of ultra.

at high that should be doable, yeah. Biggest issue with the port is how much of a RAM hog it is, so it can stutter a lot in 8GB systems if you have anything else other than the game opened at the same time. With 16GB you're golden though.

I was just about to make a lttp thread that gaf should come and have a laugh at my expense for getting this game on ps4..

THIS SHIT IS UNPLAYABLE. Gameplay dips to below 20 doing the simplest things and games crashes if explosions are involved. How the fuck this was relased and not patched post release is beyond me.

Fury451

Banned
I was just about to make a lttp thread that gaf should come and have a laugh ag my expense for getting this game on ps4..

THIS SHIT IS UNPLAYABLE. Gameplay dips to below 20 doing the simplest things and games crashes if explosions are involved. How the fuck this was relased not patched post release is beyond me.

That's the kicker. It has been patched. Each subsequent patch seems to break it more. Who knows if it will actually get fully fixed at this point though.

Codiox

I was just about to make a lttp thread that gaf should come and have a laugh ag my expense for getting this game on ps4..

THIS SHIT IS UNPLAYABLE. Gameplay dips to below 20 doing the simplest things and games crashes if explosions are involved. How the fuck this was relased not patched post release is beyond me.

It's OK, its from the "B" team...

Oh yeah, that totally justifies the crappy framerate. It was the "B" team. No problem because the game didn't had full price, oh wait...

On the package it says avalanche studios, not "excuse us, it was our B team, please don't judge this game too hard". Avalanche are the ones to blame.

oE4AqTX.jpg

dh4niel

I didn't have any performance issues with the game but I did have problems with the online features. Loading hangups and generally awful load times stopped me playing it.

Not everyone is as lucky as me because I still might be able to return this to amazon for my $20. I want to play it so bad because it is so fun but it's impossible and I am not a performance aficionado by any stretch of the word. Shit just crashes or hovers below 20fps.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question for those who have played this game.

I know that in order to upgrade that you need to acquire "gears" but can you acquire them without doing the challenges?

Thanks.

vypek

Quick question for those who have played this game.

I know that in order to upgrade that you need to acquire "gears" but can you acquire them without doing the challenges?

Thanks.

Been quite a while since I last boosted up but pretty sure gears can only be earned through doing the challenges/mini games.

Purkake4

Banned
Been quite a while since I last boosted up but pretty sure gears can only be earned through doing the challenges/mini games.
Yup, this was the developer switching gears away from a microtransaction model at the last minute. Hence the crappy upgrade system.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, this was the developer switching gears away from a microtransaction model at the last minute. Hence the crappy upgrade system.

Positive this was the developer and not SE? I don't really see Avalanche Studios doing this since none of the money would be going to them and their main studio didn't implement any of this in Mad Max.

Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not saying it was Avalanche's idea, but that's how the game was designed up to a point in development.

Oh wow. Considering what Square Enix wanted to do with Deus Ex: MD and then changed it, I would say think that it was SE who wanted micro-transactions and then changed it to what it actually is.

I bought the game for $16. I played it once before but wanted to give it another shot. Worse case scenario is that I'll trade it in and get back half my money which makes it a rental. Thankfully, checking the challenges and gears, the wingsuit is the biggest pain in the ass and one I have no problem avoiding. :)

I bought JC3 for the XB1 and sure enough, the frame rate is atrocious much of the time.
Has anyone tried this game on the XB1 X? Are there still frame rate issues there?

I actually enjoyed the game so much on PS4 I powered through the bad performance and went on to play many hours of this game - didn't experience crashes like others are describing though.

The reason i can turn a blind eye to the performance - i don't think optimization is the problem, i think the console hardware just isn't up to it and they refused to tone down the effects as the over the top explosions and general mayhem was essentially ...the game.

The odd thing i could never get my head around was the inconsistency - same massive explosions wouldn't really drop the frame rate too bad, other times a much smaller collision/crash would make it stutter to a slideshow.

buizel

Banned
I actually enjoyed the game so much on PS4 I powered through the bad performance and went on to play many hours of this game - didn't experience crashes like others are describing though.

The reason i can turn a blind eye to the performance - i don't think optimization is the problem, i think the console hardware just isn't up to it and they refused to tone down the effects as the over the top explosions and general mayhem was essentially ...the game.

The odd thing i could never get my head around was the inconsistency - same massive explosions wouldn't really drop the frame rate too bad, other times a much smaller collision/crash would make it stutter to a slideshow.

Yeah, im very aware the game has pretty big slowdown on PS4 but in some ways it helps. And also the flying and pure destruction and shit just makes up for it totally.

I really hope the next one they keep all the shit, but add more tether/physics/gadget shit. I wanna be able attach a node to a tank that gives it anti gravity or something like that. And then attach a few people to that trailing behind and then shoot it into the sky or something.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
So, anyone want to swap call-out trophies? ;) I'm one away from the platinum.

I went back to this game after I got a Pro last fall and found that the loading times and frame rates were better rhan the mess I remembered.

TheWatcher

Banned
Picked this up for 12 bucks with all the DLC. This is the most fun I have had in a long time. It runs like total shit though, but the amount of game play variety keeps drawing me back in.

Top Bottom